So is UUNP the new Go-To?

Bonnie Lass

I've always used CCBE because it's always had better support, particularly when it comes to making excessively proportioned dragonborn! But the new version of Bodyslide now has an option for UUNP.

I've always heard UNP was the better looking body, so I'm wondering if I should make the switch. I'm totally not sure if it will upscale as well as CBBE, or if it has a completely full vanilla set you can use with Bodyslide. I'd love to hear people's opinions on this.

First: I've used CBBE until a few days ago and then switched to UUNP.

What are the advantages:

- Better weight painting, so animations look better and armor folds more realistic

- more meshes, so the body looks smoother

- basically, the body just has way better quality

What to use:

- Gameplayer's conversions. He made UUNP sliders for the Devious Devices here on LL, and as gamefever he is producing even more for the Nexus (I think atm he works on UUNP sliders for the Immersive Armors mod ...). He also converted and optimized CT77' armor replacer from CBBE to UUNP, so if you're already using it, just download the UUNP sliders and rebuild the armors!

- And if you're looking around, many of the newer / more popluar armor mods already have or soon will get UUNP sliders ;)

Would I recommend switching: definitely yes!

yes it is.

due the UUNP base body being almost double the polygons of CBBE, the UUNP bodyslided outfits thend to be smoother and therefore less clipping occurs. also UUNP features unique weights that should provide a lot better deformation than say the original UNP or 7B bodies.

[edit]: aaargh Mister X beat me to it :P

First: I've used CBBE until a few days ago and then switched to UUNP.

What are the advantages:

- Better weight painting, so animations look better and armor folds more realistic

- more meshes, so the body looks smoother

- basically, the body just has way better quality

What to use:

- Gameplayer's conversions. He made UUNP sliders for the Devious Devices here on LL, and as gamefever he is producing even more for the Nexus (I think atm he works on UUNP sliders for the Immersive Armors mod ...). He also converted and optimized CT77' armor replacer from CBBE to UUNP, so if you're already using it, just download the UUNP sliders and rebuild the armors!

- And if you're looking around, many of the newer / more popluar armor mods already have or soon will get UUNP sliders ;)

Would I recommend switching: definitely yes!

So the CT77 vanilla replacer is the only full vanilla replacer with UUNP support so far? That's disappointing, was never a big fan of it.

Edit: Nevermind, found this! Looks great! http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/69886/?

useless polys = polys that add nothing to the shape or silhouette.

bone weight also known as skin data, its how a mesh is 'attached' to bones, and governs how the mesh deforms.

uv map - Is a 2D layout of a 3D model, to witch textures are mapped too. good UVs have minimal warping and stretching, and well placed seams that can be hidden or are used to prevent bad unwrapping. And is well packed to use as much space as possible without overlapping unless desired.

Hm. Well now I don't know what to think. 

3D bodies are serious biz.

@Topic:

Original reason why UUNP was made was to combine all UNP variants into one for all-in-one conversions.

BringTheNoise started the project and I jumped on it, because I hated (and still do) the whole "UNPA UNPB UNPC UNPD 7B 7BA 7BB 7BC" stuff, with conversions for only exactly that shape. :P

It uses the 7B poly count/topology and the UNP/7B UV, with weights mixed and customized from all bodies.

For example the calf and thigh weights are copied directly from CBBE, which worked the best for most morphs for some reason.

I had to cut a lot of weights out at the lower belly area, though, so that I don't exceed the 4 weights per vertex limit anywhere on the mesh.

It was mostly a problem on the HDT and Special bodies because of belly weights.

I think CBBE is still better. 

The (U)UNP Mesh is a nightmare, so many useless polys, a crappy UV Map and the Bone Weights are NOT better. 

You don't seriously believe this, do you?

I don't need to believe something what I know. 

Looks at the quads: (The UV on UUNP is crap)

post-607503-0-90084900-1443648111_thumb.jpg

post-607503-0-56664400-1443648061_thumb.jpg post-607503-0-49215500-1443648091_thumb.jpg

The (U)UNP Mesh is a nightmare, so many useless polys, a crappy UV Map and the Bone Weights are NOT better.

Mesh taken from the bodyslide UUNP shapedata folder

Poor UVs

ffelwc1xb2hkuxx7g.jpg

Some examples of pointless polys and poorly done geometry.

0st5y5jhy3dyr357g.jpg

lt5ldclub6d6las7g.jpg

uo24twe39rdajfo7g.jpg

a22x7rrctf66ecb7g.jpg

ez1iyumq4us40717g.jpg

t8g57v71rt09nbv7g.jpg

If its true, its true whether you believe it or not.

What is the matter with you guys taking the UUNP base shapedata that hasn't been morphed at all and pointing out how the UV's don't look right? Of course it doesn't fucking look right; it's the UNP mapping on a CBBE body. It's not made to fit that shape. You have to morph it first.

Mesh taken from the bodyslide UUNP shapedata folder

Poor UVs

ffelwc1xb2hkuxx7g.jpg

Some examples of pointless polys and poorly done geometry.

0st5y5jhy3dyr357g.jpg

lt5ldclub6d6las7g.jpg

uo24twe39rdajfo7g.jpg

a22x7rrctf66ecb7g.jpg

ez1iyumq4us40717g.jpg

t8g57v71rt09nbv7g.jpg

If its true, its true whether you believe it or not.

You do realize that this is because the base shape of UUNP has been wrapped around the CBBE body (with the lower polygon count), right?

A simple shrink wrap modifier in Blender, this is intended.

The full-body sliders morph it to shapes that make use of the additional polygons. Same for the UV. This was done so CBBE BS conversions can be converted to the UUNP base instantly (because the shape is identical). While you can use it in CBBE shapes, it's UUNP not UCBBE. :P

When in a UNP shape, UUNP will have the same UV as 7B. Whether that one's good or not, is out of UUNP's scope.

If the weighting's that bad, why don't you fix it for us? Everyone would greatly appreciate that. Do bear in mind the 4 weights per vertex limit, though. The belly weights are a big annoyance there for UUNP HDT and UUNP Special.

Also bear in mind that UUNP can take up any shape, so if the weights look good on a 7B shape, it doesn't mean they will look good at all on a CNHF or CBBE shape. This is especially true for the belly weights, which currently look the best for the CBBE base shape only.

I guess this explains why my normal maps have odd warping in certain area on the abs and legs on UUNP.

Sometimes varying wildly from my zbrush sculpting.

7B was the absolute worst offender though, with the UV warping - 7BO was better about it. With UUNP custom presets, I avoided using 7B UUNP sliders entirely, due to the torso alone.

My opinion is simple: is there something UUNP provide that CBBE doesn't? Both have Bodyslide support (Which is basically what I need) so I see no point in switching. Besides, I got used to CBBE and I don't really wanna start over again.

Yes it does and you should reconsider. I've used CBBE sense the start and now is not the time to be stubborn. UUNP offers much more in the was of shapes, it's much higher quality and smoother (no more jagged edges on bigger breasts and butts for example). The only thing CBBE has over UNP is support and now that bodyslide fully supports it and people are starting to convert outfits to UUNP Bodyslide, its time to make the jump.

Choosing CBBE at this point is choosing the lesser quality body mesh. it's not about the shape/size at this point because both bodies can be any shape (though, now UUNP can be even more shapes because you can combine base UNP shapes like Oppai, Manga, 7Base, and ton more on top of all the sliders that CBBE has thus letting make shapes not possible with CBBE. Even without that, UNP is just higher quality.

I don't think Skyrim modding as a whole will ever leave CBBE for good base on the impact and support it has and the amount of time remains.

And it seems like CBBE is accomplishing more of its potential whereas UUNP seems to have higher potential, but it isn't as effectively utilize.

Archived