NMM from 0.52.+to 0.70.+ ( important info, help, tips & tricks)

14 hours ago, Elf Prince said:

Ashal does. He transferred my blog to my wife Eva. But I like your idea about Vortex centralized support.

It has been requested previously for other threads and those request havne't been done. I am sure it can be done but might require a massive amount of work and only Ashal can do it. (The Moderators can transfer downloads if I am correct)  I am confident something like that is a very rare thing for very rare exceptions as in Eva's case.  Best course of action would be creation of a new thread. Links from the OP of the old one can be added if needed. That is the general practice. (Disclaimer, not sure how blogs work here. Might be easier to transfer than a standard thread. I know from the site I moderate, it is a bitch .. at least for me ...lol)

Yes and it is non-political. The site has done it before for other sources and such.  Then focus could be exclusively for NMM since it is being developed now by another person. Which in my book means it isn't dead.

I'd check up with a Plan B.. check up with other Vortex users you know and see if any of them want to take the mantel (for the OP)  I am fairly confident that the admin would rather any threads that are created be from the users not Admin if at all possible.  Perhaps you could inspire someone that loves Vortex to make or maintain a Vortex exclusive support thread?

5 hours ago, RitualClarity said:

I'd check up with a Plan B.. check up with other Vortex users you know and see if any of them want to take the mantel (for the OP)  I am fairly confident that the admin would rather any threads that are created be from the users not Admin if at all possible.  Perhaps you could inspire someone that loves Vortex to make or maintain a Vortex exclusive support thread?

No, there nothing massive to be done :) You or whoever wants Vortex thread got ownership and full access to the thread. I'm willing to do it since I really have no time to test Vortex any more.

As for inspiring others, I tried, believe me, I PMd few people asking them to take over, and I was politely rejected. I understand. It's not easy to keep up updating thread too frequently.

1 hour ago, Elf Prince said:

No, there nothing massive to be done :) You or whoever wants Vortex thread got ownership and full access to the thread. I'm willing to do it since I really have no time to test Vortex any more.

As for inspiring others, I tried, believe me, I PMd few people asking them to take over, and I was politely rejected. I understand. It's not easy to keep up updating thread too frequently.

Eventually some hero will come along and save the Vortex community.. lol.

Also, no need for you to support Vortex in my opinion. You are only using NMM.  Perhaps move towards focus on NMM only.. ? You have Eve's setup to mess with when testing. When you are able to. I'd change the title and inform readers that you can't properly support Vortex at this time but would continue keeping up with NMM to the best of your ability.

To be honest.. Mod Organizer 's original OP from years ago stopped posting and went AWOL lol  and sometimes someone post there but mostly they ask in the support threads for the mods in question or create their own thread on the subject.  Doesn't seem to be an interest in a centralized thread of this materials anymore unlike it was so many years ago.

It seems as if it is a thread that only you and me post on with the occasional person coming along to make it interesting... ;)  I have been thinking of this for the past few days and realized that most of my threads and such aren't responded to as well if they are very old. I can't remember the last time I responded to a support issue on one of my threads. Seems like I am responding to issues on others or mod threads etc etc.

Another big disappointment in NMM 0.70.8 - creating profile(s)

I don't know about other users of this version but I was greatly disappointed in creating profile(s). I had no needs for creating profiles for a long time, but since my wife wanted to test some mods, I was "forced" to create new profile. So what does creating new profile does?

1. During mod installation in new profile NMM install particular mod into old profile and than disables them. It wouldn't be a problem if installed mod in new profile doesn't screw certain mod(s) in old profile especially if newly installed mod has to overwrite certain mod.

2. If you switch to old profile and uninstall disabled mod, NMM screws the same mod installed in new profile. So it is closed circle. Many earlier 0.60.+ versions didn't have this problem. Every profile was on his own and didn't interfere with other profiles. Someone screwed profiles very badly. Damn.

On 8/19/2019 at 2:05 AM, RitualClarity said:

Eventually some hero will come along and save the Vortex community.. lol.

Also, no need for you to support Vortex in my opinion. You are only using NMM.  Perhaps move towards focus on NMM only.. ? You have Eve's setup to mess with when testing. When you are able to. I'd change the title and inform readers that you can't properly support Vortex at this time but would continue keeping up with NMM to the best of your ability.

To be honest.. Mod Organizer 's original OP from years ago stopped posting and went AWOL lol  and sometimes someone post there but mostly they ask in the support threads for the mods in question or create their own thread on the subject.  Doesn't seem to be an interest in a centralized thread of this materials anymore unlike it was so many years ago.

It seems as if it is a thread that only you and me post on with the occasional person coming along to make it interesting... ;)  I have been thinking of this for the past few days and realized that most of my threads and such aren't responded to as well if they are very old. I can't remember the last time I responded to a support issue on one of my threads. Seems like I am responding to issues on others or mod threads etc etc.

Thanks a lot ritual. You did excellent job. As I said earlier I only use (test) NMM becasue of my wife who play Skyrim. I quit from palying it long time ago.

There is another weird problem with Nexus. Clicking on "Update" button in opened 0.70.8 NMM community version, I got box saying: "You can upgrade your version to 0.63.3" So Since community version is not a part of Nexus site any more, I tried to see what will happen. Two things surprised me:

1. Updater reinstalled my already install community version (although they say they stopped support any version after 0.63.+)

2. The manager didn't recognized it is already installed on my system. Most official versions had notifier: "You already have installed latest version".

There is a big chaos in Nexus manager creating team and community and I hope those guys will solve it ASAP.

• 3 weeks later...

New version out (just bug fixes)

• New features

• No new features.
  • Bugfixes

• Fix for category view filter resetting wrong. (thanks to user jbostrus on Github)
    • Fixed NMM's setup installing .pdb files. (thanks to user jbostrus on Github)
    • Removed unused tool from the Enderal game mode. (thanks to user jbostrus on Github)
    • Fix for trailing (and leading) spaces on archive files. (thanks to user jbostrus on Github)
    • Added clearer logging/info when FOMOD info.xml is malformed.

https://github.com/Nexus-Mods/Nexus-Mod-Manager/releases

On 9/15/2019 at 11:44 AM, Slorm said:

New version out (just bug fixes)

•  

Thanks for notifying. ;)

ABOUT 0.70.9 version

I installed the latest version; not as a clean install but as upgrade: It still has two unfixed issues:

1. It doesn't completely remove certain uninstalled mods like Bijin meshes and textures and some other standalone followers mods I mentioned earlier.

2. "Check for update" button is not accurate and it doesn't show you new versions of some mods that are uploaded on Nexus.

56 minutes ago, Elf Prince said:

Thanks for notifying. ;)

ABOUT 0.70.9 version

I installed the latest version; not as a clean install but as upgrade: It still has two unfixed issues:

1. It doesn't completely remove certain uninstalled mods like Bijin meshes and textures and some other standalone followers mods I mentioned earlier.

2. "Check for update" button is not accurate and it doesn't show you new versions of some mods that are uploaded on Nexus.

It is great that both you and @Slorm are keeping up with this. I know some people just love Nexus Mod Manager. It is great that there is a community still working on the mod manager much like there was/is for FOMM and even OBMM and Wyre.  Mod managers are tools. Like all tools they aren't created equal and not all of them will *fit* with the needs of the individual. Having different *tools* allows for different people to have their way of doing things that is hopefully reliable and aids in their enjoyment of mods.

7 hours ago, RitualClarity said:

It is great that both you and @Slorm are keeping up with this. I know some people just love Nexus Mod Manager. It is great that there is a community still working on the mod manager much like there was/is for FOMM and even OBMM and Wyre.  Mod managers are tools. Like all tools they aren't created equal and not all of them will *fit* with the needs of the individual. Having different *tools* allows for different people to have their way of doing things that is hopefully reliable and aids in their enjoyment of mods.

Thanks Ritual. If my wife wouldn't play Skyrim, I certainty wouldn't use NMM or any other mod manager since I don't play that game. Thanks to her, I test NMM when installing and uninstalling mods.

20 hours ago, Elf Prince said:

It's been like that for a while but with the change Nexus made to the api I'm not sure if it's NMM or the nexus site itself.

I've not had any issues myself but I don't often change mods except to update versions on a cleaned save (well as close as you can get to a clean save :classic_smile:). From memory the only time I had an issue with it not removing stuff completely was with Beeing Female which (from memory) added an extra folder which NMM didn't pick up. But I'm not a good guide as I don't change mods very much.

10 hours ago, Slorm said:

It's been like that for a while but with the change Nexus made to the api I'm not sure if it's NMM or the nexus site itself.

I've not had any issues myself but I don't often change mods except to update versions on a cleaned save (well as close as you can get to a clean save :classic_smile:). From memory the only time I had an issue with it not removing stuff completely was with Beeing Female which (from memory) added an extra folder which NMM didn't pick up. But I'm not a good guide as I don't change mods very much.

Thanks for honesty Slorm. Here is another interesting fact about latest unofficial NMM. I have it installed on two computers that are wired. On one computer, NMM crushes on certain (old and older mods) but on another it doesn't. The procedure of NMM installation was the same and the mods are identical on both computer. Why NMM behaves on one way in one computer and differently on another is a mystery to me. The only difference between those two computers is hardware components.

12 hours ago, Elf Prince said:

Thanks for honesty Slorm. Here is another interesting fact about latest unofficial NMM. I have it installed on two computers that are wired. On one computer, NMM crushes on certain (old and older mods) but on another it doesn't. The procedure of NMM installation was the same and the mods are identical on both computer. Why NMM behaves on one way in one computer and differently on another is a mystery to me. The only difference between those two computers is hardware components.

I'm just guessing here, but it may depend on the load created by the mod. For instance, 3DNPC is pretty evil to install with over 2Gb of audio files (I used to break it down and instal the audio separately) so perhaps if it's a mod like that the hardware's having a problem on one pc.

But it's just a guess, sometime these things just happen.

• 1 month later...
On 11/16/2019 at 1:07 PM, Slorm said:

New version out (bug fixes only)

• New features

• No new features.
  • Bugfixes

• Fixed redundant code slowing down plugin sorting. (thanks to user jbostrus on Github)
    • Fixed enabled official unmanaged plugins showing as disabled. (thanks to user jbostrus on Github)

You can get it from https://github.com/Nexus-Mods/Nexus-Mod-Manager/releases

Thanks Slorm

Two issues in 0.70.10 and in previous versions

1. If you have installed mod and you install it again, NMM doesn't inform you that you have that particular mod installed. It downloads it and install it. Well there is no serious damage in this if you didn't made changes to that mod. If you did some changes using CK or T5E or any other utility, NMM overwrites those changes and you have to do it again.

2. Some mods that are uploaded to Nexus and mods that aren't uploaded to Nexus, if you perform the action from the upper topic, NMM download the mod, but it doesn't install it. So you have two identical mods: one active and one inactive. I assume it is due to different id's.

Named issues doesn't break your game but it would be nice if NMM will tell you that you have particular mod installed just as it tell you that certain mod contains the stuff if you try to install the mod that has same files and ask you if you want to upgrade it, overwrite it or cancel operation.

I have been directed to this thread by Ritual, because he said, and I quote " Finally since you are an experienced NMM user and a experienced mod user. Would you mind checking in on my friend's thread for NMM ? Elf Prince He isn't as active as he was before and there are some that need help there and not many are using NMM of the level that has experiences you have and abilities you have with modding and the manager."

I will follow this thread and help when I can. I see that @Slorm is providing information when a new version is out and including a Change-log. Which is good. I've used NMM since I first started modding my games back in April 2016. So, what ever information I have that can help, I will provide when I'm not at work.

17 hours ago, DontBlnkBadWolf said:

I have been directed to this thread by Ritual, because he said, and I quote " Finally since you are an experienced NMM user and a experienced mod user. Would you mind checking in on my friend's thread for NMM ? Elf Prince He isn't as active as he was before and there are some that need help there and not many are using NMM of the level that has experiences you have and abilities you have with modding and the manager."

I will follow this thread and help when I can. I see that @Slorm is providing information when a new version is out and including a Change-log. Which is good. I've used NMM since I first started modding my games back in April 2016. So, what ever information I have that can help, I will provide when I'm not at work.

You are very welcome. @RitualClarity was right. I'm not active as I used to be due to my very occupied private life: job and the family. As a matter of fact I don't even play Skyrim any more. My wife does and I'm just helping her with mods' installation using NMM. I don't have time to test the manager as I used to do. Therefore, your experience, knowledge and expertise is more than welcome in this thread. Feel free to post your impressions about newest NMM versions; bad and good ones so the users might know what to expect from the manager such as should they upgrade it or not becasue not all versions were done good. :)

Yes there are lots of fans and such for the.... OTHER MANAGER :P which shall remain nameless. ;)  

Having this thread is a good source of info for those that wish to use NMM and get support from people that use it AND are experienced in modding those very games using those very mods that they are interested in :D  A safe spot for them to go to get some info if they have issues with an NMM and a mod not working as it should.

@Elf Prince Hope you don't mind me sending some people here :D

@DontBlnkBadWolf now you can see I might be a very strong fan of "the other manager" but I do respect and understand it isn't for everybody. So ... not all of those "other" manger users are blind rabbit followers of that other manager's sirens call... :P  Also thanks for checking up on my suggestion. Your post about advocating NMM for those that go to a mod thread and want to use it and being bombarded by the other manager's advocates strongly made me think of suggesting this. There are people that just work with NMM. @Elf Prince is one of those. When he did play the game. I encouraged him to try the other "offering" and he did. I tried to help him and to his credit he truly did try but it started to be very annoying to him and didn't work in any way like he needed it to.

The key of mod managers are simply to manage the mods properly. (install, order, removal etc) if it does that.. doesn't matter the other tools if it isn't something that works for the user. For me the added function and the way things are done with the one I use is the selling point. I like the way the data is installed, removed and worked. I like the added functions and such. It is an excellent tool for me to fool around with the mods. Some people just want to install the dam mod and get to playing the game. lol.. In my experiences modding and being part of this site and others over the years.. I have come to the conclusion that I appreciate the different choices and options one has in how they mod, what they use to manage them, every bit as much as the section of mods available. To me, the managers are on part in importance as the very mods they manage.  If anyone doubts me.. wait until the next Fallout or TES is released and you have to try to managed those, work the files , extract them to do the modding etc. Then tell me the tools aren't as important. Even if you don't use those or even if you manually install... these tools are useful for the mod authors that create these wonderful mods.

To those that use other managers... Imagine not having that tool and having to use something that you don't like. That doesn't work well for you, that is a bother or confusing or just plain horrible.  Imagine that the next time someone states that they use NMM or an other manager or tool you don't.   Feel free to discuss it but .. please stop and respect them once they have had a chance to review your suggestions. Sometimes they might be interested as in the one I use and have many converts... Sometimes like @Elf Prince and @DontBlnkBadWolf case.. it either doesn't work for them or they just prefer to use another manager / tool that works for them.

5 hours ago, RitualClarity said:

Yes there are lots of fans and such for the.... OTHER MANAGER :P which shall remain nameless. ;)  

Having this thread is a good source of info for those that wish to use NMM and get support from people that use it AND are experienced in modding those very games using those very mods that they are interested in :D  A safe spot for them to go to get some info if they have issues with an NMM and a mod not working as it should.

@Elf Prince Hope you don't mind me sending some people here :D

Not at all my friend. It is good if someone more better than me can take this thread over especially if he has more experience than me with NMM and speaks better English. :)

Thank you for being helpful.

16 hours ago, Elf Prince said:

Not at all my friend. It is good if someone more better than me can take this thread over especially if he has more experience than me with NMM and speaks better English. :)

Thank you for being helpful.

I don't think he intended to take over the thread... but give a hand from time to time for those that need some added help in NMM. :D Since it is hard for someone to get NMM specific support with the other manager more dominant

On 11/30/2019 at 7:23 PM, Elf Prince said:

You are very welcome. @RitualClarity was right. I'm not active as I used to be due to my very occupied private life: job and the family. As a matter of fact I don't even play Skyrim any more. My wife does and I'm just helping her with mods' installation using NMM. I don't have time to test the manager as I used to do. Therefore, your experience, knowledge and expertise is more than welcome in this thread. Feel free to post your impressions about newest NMM versions; bad and good ones so the users might know what to expect from the manager such as should they upgrade it or not because not all versions were done good. :)

They are slowly getting a lot of stuff dialed in over there on the Community Edition's GitHub page. But, with like anything else, you fix one bug, 5 new ones show up. Or that bug fix destroys a bug fix that you made 3 versions ago. I'll always help when I can. I'll try to give a review of current versions, things like that. I understand about you not gaming and it's your wife who plays it more. Sometimes I like to walk away from it all and just melt my brain a different, and, legal way (non-drug use way).

14 hours ago, RitualClarity said:

I don't think he intended to take over the thread... but give a hand from time to time for those that need some added help in NMM. :D Since it is hard for someone to get NMM specific support with the other manager more dominant

Hahahaha, yeah. Not my intention to take over. Even though I have German blood in me, doesn't mean that I want to take everything over (just the world sometimes).

8 hours ago, DontBlnkBadWolf said:

Besides, with my rotating work schedule, I wouldn't be the one to be in here everyday.

Dont need to be.

8 hours ago, DontBlnkBadWolf said:

Hahahaha, yeah. Not my intention to take over. Even though I have German blood in me, doesn't mean that I want to take everything over (just the world sometimes).

My race (alien :P) came here with loads of weapons and ready to have a hard fight.. only to realize humans are fucking themselves and it isn't worth taking over the world anymore :(  
So now I am stuck on probe duty... :(:(:P

( @DontBlnkBadWolf it is a ongoing gag of my avatar here on the site.. Me being an alien ;) )