NMM from 0.52.+to 0.70.+ ( important info, help, tips & tricks)

1 hour ago, Grey Cloud said:

I read your earlier post about the speed increase and that made me go for the ugrade. ? I haven't rebooted my computer yet so maybe that will help. I'll give it a few more days before making any decisions about Vortex.

Keep what works for you and your hardware and modding needs. As @Elf Prince and others know I prefer Mod Organizer. I like how it does its management and handles things. However, it is preference.  So long as the mod manager, installs the mods, and keeps a record and uninstalls the mods well, it is all that is required. (that and load order management ;)

I haven't used Vortex yet as I haven't heard enough positive press about it to warrant trying to learn a new system when my old system works just fine (remember the comment "keep what works for you" ;) )   When changing a mod manager (like if /when I try Vortex) it should only be done with game plays that aren't serious and when you have time to go through and get things right. Also should be used with mods and games you already understand how to get them to work properly so you aren't trying to diagnose if it is a manager or a mod issue that is occurring.

That is my advice.. take it for what it is.

22 minutes ago, RitualClarity said:

That is my advice.. take it for what it is.

Thanks but I have had enough of the long load time and the uninstall times are not getting any shorter so I think NMM has run its race for me. I've used it for 3 years and ignored the MO evangelicals but enough is enough.

I'll do the reading before I make a move but Skyrim is just a computer game, if it breaks I'll fix it.

20 minutes ago, Grey Cloud said:

Thanks but I have had enough of the long load time and the uninstall times are not getting any shorter so I think NMM has run its race for me. I've used it for 3 years and ignored the MO evangelicals but enough is enough.

I'll do the reading before I make a move but Skyrim is just a computer game, if it breaks I'll fix it.

So it isn't working for you anymore.. time to move to Vortex? :D

Please post back on your experience. I haven't used it and am interested in a current comment on it.. (since this is a NMM and Vortex thread) a It was worked on by Tannin the creator of MO and is supposed to have some features and such but be easier to use than MO so that will be interesting to see how that translates.

17 minutes ago, Grey Cloud said:

Will do but it might be week or two if I move. As I said, I'll do the reading and thinking first. Or I could go with Plan B and jump in feet first. :confounded:

Change from NMM to Vortex are not easy. Really, are incompatible. Follow the instructions in the web page.

https://wiki.nexusmods.com/index.php/Migrating_to_Vortex_from_another_Mod_Manager

The operation require a lot of time.

1 - Install vortex and import from NMM

2 - Remove, delete, un-install all yours mods from NMM = A LOT OF TIME

3 - Clean your skyrim folder is totally optional but recomended = make a security copy before

4 - Install, activate all yours mods in Vortex

You can NOT have Vortex and NMM working at the same time because use the same system and the same folders and the same files. In case of problem you not know where or why you have the problem. Is better remove NMM, clean your game folder and start a new installation of yours mods with Vortex.

Have your game working again with Vortex and yours 200+ mods can require a lot of work.

2 hours ago, GenioMaestro said:

Change from NMM to Vortex are not easy. Really, are incompatible. Follow the instructions in the web page.

https://wiki.nexusmods.com/index.php/Migrating_to_Vortex_from_another_Mod_Manager

The operation require a lot of time.

1 - Install vortex and import from NMM

2 - Remove, delete, un-install all yours mods from NMM = A LOT OF TIME

3 - Clean your skyrim folder is totally optional but recomended = make a security copy before

4 - Install, activate all yours mods in Vortex

You can NOT have Vortex and NMM working at the same time because use the same system and the same folders and the same files. In case of problem you not know where or why you have the problem. Is better remove NMM, clean your game folder and start a new installation of yours mods with Vortex.

Have your game working again with Vortex and yours 200+ mods can require a lot of work.

Thanks for the encouraging words. :(

21 hours ago, Grey Cloud said:

Will do but it might be week or two if I move. As I said, I'll do the reading and thinking first. Or I could go with Plan B and jump in feet first. :confounded:

Have you try to make clean NMM 0.70.7 install? Maybe this will help you with speed problem.

I agree with Ritual too. Vortex is still far from being stable mod manager and no matter how much some people says about its compatibility with NMM and MO, I still wouldn't recommend it as your prime MM. Too bad I have no much free time to do more testing in NMM-Vortex compatibility and reliability, but if I will have I will certainly do it.

NMM 0.70.8 is out

Please be aware that these latest releases are not fully code signed as our certificate has elapsed - so you will need to accept any warnings that Windows throws at you.

FIXES:

Spoiler

• New features

• No new features.
  • Bugfixes

• NMM now properly associates to file extensions even if no other program has.
    • Fixed a crash when adding mods without being authenticated.
    • Added manual fallback method for authenticating.
    • Fixed a few icons (thanks to user Nubbie on Github)

Download:

https://github.com/Nexus-Mods/Nexus-Mod-Manager/releases

• 1 month later...

Two big minuses of NMM 0.70.8

1. First minus is that latest version can't completely remove some standalone follower mods. I had to manually remove leftover files from Serenade, Dorthe, Arche and Ahlalia mods. Therfore I suggest you to always check uninstalled mods and if they were standalone follower mods, look in Meshes and Textures folders and remove garbage manually.

2. Manager also freezes on "Download mod using NMM" on certain mods, particularly if they are older and not updated by the author. I think it is related due to outdated mod ID. Therefore, if you experience same problem as me, download wanted mod manually and install it using NMM. Then it works.

On 8/11/2019 at 10:06 AM, Elf Prince said:

Two big minuses of NMM 0.70.8

1. First minus is that latest version can't completely remove some standalone follower mods. I had to manually remove leftover files from Serenade, Dorthe, Arche and Ahlalia mods. Therfore I suggest you to always check uninstalled mods and if they were standalone follower mods, look in Meshes and Textures folders and remove garbage manually.

2. Manager also freezes on "Download mod using NMM" on certain mods, particularly if they are older and not updated by the author. I think it is related due to outdated mod ID. Therefore, if you experience same problem as me, download wanted mod manually and install it using NMM. Then it works.

Those issues are a no go for any manger. Unless there is some reason specifically related to a mod (for some reason setup strangely causing the issue which I can't imagin how that could happen) or your personal setup.. (again I can't imagine it.. you are quite good at testing these things)  these issues should never happen. files should never remain in the game folder (or at least occur at a such rare rate that it is almost never seen.. taking into account various computer and other technical issues or glitches that can occur)

Now to be clear, the second issue might be understandable as Nexus does things from time to time that messes anything up that isn't from Nexus, but , the current developer(s) should make note of it, let people know the issue and be prepared for it (the download issue) and/or remove or disable that feature until they can get it working properly again.  Not being able to download directly from Nexus isn't a game breaker for a mod manager. A user can manually download the mods and then install using NMM or whatever manager they choose at a later time.

If the files can't be installed and removed properly it might be time for people to move to another manager that is working properly

44 minutes ago, RitualClarity said:

Those issues are a no go for any manger. Unless there is some reason specifically related to a mod (for some reason setup strangely causing the issue which I can't imagin how that could happen) or your personal setup.. (again I can't imagine it.. you are quite good at testing these things)  these issues should never happen. files should never remain in the game folder (or at least occur at a such rare rate that it is almost never seen.. taking into account various computer and other technical issues or glitches that can occur)

Now to be clear, the second issue might be understandable as Nexus does things from time to time that messes anything up that isn't from Nexus, but , the current developer(s) should make note of it, let people know the issue and be prepared for it (the download issue) and/or remove or disable that feature until they can get it working properly again.  Not being able to download directly from Nexus isn't a game breaker for a mod manager. A user can manually download the mods and then install using NMM or whatever manager they choose at a later time.

If the files can't be installed and removed properly it might be time for people to move to another manager that is working properly

There were NMM earlier versions which didn't have problems with complete uninstalling mods. I noticed that from time to time some NMM new versions were worse than previous ones. I remeber my frustration and disappointment in 0.65.+ version(s). It was complete disaster.

As for your second argument: I agree. To bad that NMM expanded in some many games. The Nexus team should leave it as it was (Skyrim and FO4) and let to Vortex to deal with hundreds of other games. I still believe in NMM regardless of quality drop down. Somebody will fix this serious issue because it is time wasting to do what the manager suppose to do.

Thanks for your observation. It is wise and adequate as always (except going on MO part ;):P )

23 hours ago, Elf Prince said:

There were NMM earlier versions which didn't have problems with complete uninstalling mods. I noticed that from time to time some NMM new versions were worse than previous ones. I remeber my frustration and disappointment in 0.65.+ version(s). It was complete disaster.

As for your second argument: I agree. To bad that NMM expanded in some many games. The Nexus team should leave it as it was (Skyrim and FO4) and let to Vortex to deal with hundreds of other games. I still believe in NMM regardless of quality drop down. Somebody will fix this serious issue because it is time wasting to do what the manager suppose to do.

Thanks for your observation. It is wise and adequate as always (except going on MO part ;):P )

True.. hopefully they are posting bugs and letting their users know there is issues and not relying on someone on the web (Elf Prince) to do the right thing and inform people of what is going on. ;)  Also the Nexus download thing is a added feature not required for mod content management but.. so many managers have it now .. As I think of it.. it is beginning to be a serious requirement for most people so hopefully they fix that soon.

As "except going on MO part ;):P " I didn't suggest they move on to MO.  ;)  There is other managers like Wyre bash, and Vortex that can possibly suit the user. Vortex being developed currently from Nexus is possibly the next manager for those that find NMM not satisfactory and more likely manager for NMM users than MO. Mod Organizer's feature set ... as powerful and useful as many may find, are "features" not unlike NMM's download from Nexus feature. Not required for a manager and subjective need at most.  The other features from MO are subjective and in many cases not needed by someone that enjoys the process NMM gives. I believe (and might need to be corrected) that Vortex is likely the next closest manager to that experience.

I don't suggest anyone that loves NMM to move to Mod Organizer without some serious consideration and lots of research on what it does and what they can do with it. It is rich with features but.. requires a bit of a learning curve to master most of those features (not all.. takes a lot of time to really get into the core of what MO can do)  and on top of it, due to its nature requires some work arounds to get some mods and tools to work that NMM users just expect to work "out of the box".

(I only bring MO up since you mentioned it Elf Prince ;) wouldn't have if you didn't :P lol)

TL: DR

If Nexus is annoying you and you want do use something else.. Check Vortex and try that. It is the most likely mod manager for NMM users in ease of use and functionality with Nexus game site.

1 hour ago, RitualClarity said:

True.. hopefully they are posting bugs and letting their users know there is issues and not relying on someone on the web (Elf Prince) to do the right thing and inform people of what is going on. ;)  Also the Nexus download thing is a added feature not required for mod content management but.. so many managers have it now .. As I think of it.. it is beginning to be a serious requirement for most people so hopefully they fix that soon.

As "except going on MO part ;):P " I didn't suggest they move on to MO.  ;)  There is other managers like Wyre bash, and Vortex that can possibly suit the user. Vortex being developed currently from Nexus is possibly the next manager for those that find NMM not satisfactory and more likely manager for NMM users than MO. Mod Organizer's feature set ... as powerful and useful as many may find, are "features" not unlike NMM's download from Nexus feature. Not required for a manager and subjective need at most.  The other features from MO are subjective and in many cases not needed by someone that enjoys the process NMM gives. I believe (and might need to be corrected) that Vortex is likely the next closest manager to that experience.

I don't suggest anyone that loves NMM to move to Mod Organizer without some serious consideration and lots of research on what it does and what they can do with it. It is rich with features but.. requires a bit of a learning curve to master most of those features (not all.. takes a lot of time to really get into the core of what MO can do)  and on top of it, due to its nature requires some work arounds to get some mods and tools to work that NMM users just expect to work "out of the box".

(I only bring MO up since you mentioned it Elf Prince ;) wouldn't have if you didn't :P lol)

TL: DR

If Nexus is annoying you and you want do use something else.. Check Vortex and try that. It is the most likely mod manager for NMM users in ease of use and functionality with Nexus game site.

There is no doubt that Vortex is better manager than NMM. Since it is still in process of development I have no time to do testing. I don't know if you know but I stopped playing Skyrim and Witcher because i have no time. I'm using NMM becuase of my wife Ivy who plays Skyrim. And your arguments are perfect again, as always. :)

58 minutes ago, Elf Prince said:

There is no doubt that Vortex is better manager than NMM. Since it is still in process of development I have no time to do testing. I don't know if you know but I stopped playing Skyrim and Witcher because i have no time. I'm using NMM because of my wife Ivy who plays Skyrim. And your arguments are perfect again, as always. :)

It is good that you confirm that Vortex is much better than NMM. Coming from you makes that a very solid recommendation that I can be more confident in recommending .. with consideration to possible glitches since it is still under development etc.  I haven't even looked at or tried to use it since it's first Alpha.

Yes, I am aware and was surprised when you gave a report on NMM. I thought you had a testing setup even if you wern't playing. In some effect you would be better off now testing NMM as you don't have a serious game to be concerned with anymore.  Perhaps you might consider cloning off EVE's setup and using it on a personal computer for testing purposes of NMM and perhaps even Vortex? You would have a fully functional system as I am sure she does have, and not run the risk of harming her system if something horribly goes wrong .. meaning that you have to now spend time fixing it when if it was on your computer.. you can just say "Fuck it" and walk away until you have time to repair the issue and  ready to test the next update. Just a thought.  In fact, your computer wouldn't even have to be that powerful or capable. You aren't going to do heavy testing of the mods just the manager.

I also agree that Vortex would be the logical choice to anyone that wants to move from NMM to another manager. However, with it being taken up by someone to develop it (NMM) it might be just as good to stick with it eventually hopefully, it will have those bugs ironed out. Best to keep on testing it before using it for any major play through, not updating it during a serious play though and /or at least reading reports from yourself and others on the functionality of NMM before doing so.

Since the subject of MO came up in relation to this stream of conversations (I try to not mention it at all out of respect for this thread and the OP .. yes.. you Elf Prince)  but occasional it does come up. I would be remissed if I didn't also state that I usually keep a few versions behind with my own preferred manager (Mod Organizer) as well as even though it is quite mature now that it has a new caregiver and time to get things situated by those people, it can from time to time have a glitch or problem that needs to be ironed out. A bit of caution when I play any serious game (which has been quite a long time ) or when I am seriously testing something (so that I can be sure my testing and reports are reliable and truly a mod related issue not some glitch from the manager or computer for that matter) It is good to keep a version or two back

On 8/14/2019 at 5:43 AM, RitualClarity said:

You know, I was thinking to switch to latest Vortex and use it as only mod manager as long my wife plays Skyrim. Rereading your your post just motivated me. :)

A thing I've noticed with 0.70.8 is that it doesn't remember how you have the various windows sized. For example, I have the plug-in tab wide enough to see the full name of the esps but now I have to drag it wider every time I fire up NMM. It's the same with the column widths in the main pane of the mods tab.

A few weeks ago I mentioned how slow NMM had become. Well, I'm now on a brand new machine and while it is faster at loading up it still isn't going to win any speed prizes.

I'm thinking of reading up on Vortex when I get some time.

23 hours ago, Grey Cloud said:

A thing I've noticed with 0.70.8 is that it doesn't remember how you have the various windows sized. For example, I have the plug-in tab wide enough to see the full name of the esps but now I have to drag it wider every time I fire up NMM. It's the same with the column widths in the main pane of the mods tab.

A few weeks ago I mentioned how slow NMM had become. Well, I'm now on a brand new machine and while it is faster at loading up it still isn't going to win any speed prizes.

I'm thinking of reading up on Vortex when I get some time.

It does remember in my case. I tried various resizing options and it always opened the last one.

I really wouldn't know why it is slow on your computer. It opens and does things very fast.

After last testing of latest Vortex, I decided to stay on NMM more time.  But, you are smarter than me, speak and understand English much better and I'm sure you will do more than fine with Vortex :)

10 hours ago, Elf Prince said:

It does remember in my case. I tried various resizing options and it always opened the last one.

I really wouldn't know why it is slow on your computer. It opens and does things very fast.

After last testing of latest Vortex, I decided to stay on NMM more time.  But, you are smarter than me, speak and understand English much better and I'm sure you will do more than fine with Vortex :)

Sad you couldn't jump over to Vortex but at least you tried ;):D

If you wanted to venture back.. I believe you should be able to post the instructions you are having problems with here and see what those that know Vortex can help with. For example re-phrase the statement to something more grammar neutral like I tried to do (most of the time when doing guides and when posting for you or others that I now are not Native English speakers)

7 hours ago, RitualClarity said:

Sad you couldn't jump over to Vortex but at least you tried ;):D

If you wanted to venture back.. I believe you should be able to post the instructions you are having problems with here and see what those that know Vortex can help with. For example re-phrase the statement to something more grammar neutral like I tried to do (most of the time when doing guides and when posting for you or others that I now are not Native English speakers)

Yea, I was very dissapointed in latest Vortex. had much more troubles than with NMM. Unfortunately I can't go back and produce same errors since I completely removed that manager from my computer. Too bad I didn't took a picture for better insight of what was going on. I just don't know how it didn't come up to my mind.

1 hour ago, Elf Prince said:

Yea, I was very dissapointed in latest Vortex. had much more troubles than with NMM. Unfortunately I can't go back and produce same errors since I completely removed that manager from my computer. Too bad I didn't took a picture for better insight of what was going on. I just don't know how it didn't come up to my mind.

Yea, I was commenting when/if you ever wanted to try again. I am sure there are many here on LL that are using it and can iron out any confusion due to not being a native English speaker (you type etc quite well for a non English speaker... better than most natives lol)

Anyway, as I always say. If the manager you are using is working for you... then keep using it.

7 hours ago, RitualClarity said:

Yea, I was commenting when/if you ever wanted to try again. I am sure there are many here on LL that are using it and can iron out any confusion due to not being a native English speaker (you type etc quite well for a non English speaker... better than most natives lol)

Anyway, as I always say. If the manager you are using is working for you... then keep using it.

My good friend, if the testing of Vortex isn't time consuming process I might reconsider the idea of testing it. But beside family obligations I'm helping my wife with mods and her Skyrimf blog story. There are many things I do not understand about Vortex itself and it will kill my little free time that I have. My free time with my wives and son is more precious to me than spending on frustrations about Vortex.

Too bad that beside you and few people who occasionally post something about NMM and Vortex, nobody else participate in sharing their knowledge and experience. I think it is because of me and I'm not imagining it. There are people on LL who doesn't like me and they boycott to participate in discussions. I don't mind if they don't like me but they should help those who needs help.

4 hours ago, Elf Prince said:

My good friend, if the testing of Vortex isn't time consuming process I might reconsider the idea of testing it. But beside family obligations I'm helping my wife with mods and her Skyrimf blog story. There are many things I do not understand about Vortex itself and it will kill my little free time that I have. My free time with my wives and son is more precious to me than spending on frustrations about Vortex.

Too bad that beside you and few people who occasionally post something about NMM and Vortex, nobody else participate in sharing their knowledge and experience. I think it is because of me and I'm not imagining it. There are people on LL who doesn't like me and they boycott to participate in discussions. I don't mind if they don't like me but they should help those who needs help.

Understandable with the time constraints.

Also, might be true that there are people that don't like you. I am sure there are people that don't like me. I really don't give a fuck. If they have a problem let me know, perhaps I made a mistake or there might be a misunderstanding. I am not going to hand old adults on how to handle conflicts and misunderstandings.  That being said.. I doubt that they aren't participating in this thread due to some dislike or even outright hatred for you. They don't have to correspond to you and your post. They can even block you.  They can participate and help others. They can get the brownie points, positive karma or even increase their post count. Whatever it is that drives them can still be done regardless of who is the OP or who responds to the post they make. I have a few blocked people and I am not stopped from posting anywhere I wish to post... yes even if they are the OP of the thread. I just don't respond to their post or comments. (mostly lol)

If there is anybody here that reads this and has a problem posting on this thread due to your being the OP.. I am perfectly willing to create a new thread under my name. I don't know shit about Vortex but people can still go there  to post and ask questions ;)  All they have to do is PM me.  They don't even have to make it public.  That is about as far in hand holding I will go ... lol.

26 minutes ago, RitualClarity said:

Understandable with the time constraints.

Also, might be true that there are people that don't like you. I am sure there are people that don't like me. I really don't give a fuck. If they have a problem let me know, perhaps I made a mistake or there might be a misunderstanding. I am not going to hand old adults on how to handle conflicts and misunderstandings.  That being said.. I doubt that they aren't participating in this thread due to some dislike or even outright hatred for you. They don't have to correspond to you and your post. They can even block you.  They can participate and help others. They can get the brownie points, positive karma or even increase their post count. Whatever it is that drives them can still be done regardless of who is the OP or who responds to the post they make. I have a few blocked people and I am not stopped from posting anywhere I wish to post... yes even if they are the OP of the thread. I just don't respond to their post or comments. (mostly lol)

If there is anybody here that reads this and has a problem posting on this thread due to your being the OP.. I am perfectly willing to create a new thread under my name. I don't know shit about Vortex but people can still go there  to post and ask questions ;)  All they have to do is PM me.  They don't even have to make it public.  That is about as far in hand holding I will go ... lol.

You don't have to open own thread. If you want I would gladly ask moderators to give your ownership of mine Vortex thread and you can do with it as you like. :)

10 hours ago, Elf Prince said:

You don't have to open own thread. If you want I would gladly ask moderators to give your ownership of mine Vortex thread and you can do with it as you like. :)

They don't transfer threads only downloads. This isn't one of those.

Also, if you are correct and people were against you, it would be better to have a fresh start to better serve the Vortex community.

That being said.. however, it would be much better to have one of the moderators create a centralized thread to accommodate any Vortex support.

1 minute ago, RitualClarity said:

They don't transfer threads only downloads. This isn't one of those.

Also, if you are correct and people were against you, it would be better to have a fresh start to better serve the Vortex community.

That being said.. however, it would be much better to have one of the moderators create a centralized thread to accommodate any Vortex support.

Ashal does. He transferred my blog to my wife Eva. But I like your idea about Vortex centralized support.