Blender question: splitting full body mesh in twain

QuiteTheTail

I already know how to merge an upperbody mesh to a lowerbody (which is often what you find in Oblivion .nif files) in Blender. But I find it difficult to do the opposite. I have now a mesh with merged torso-legs which I want to split. I have located and selected the vertices that compose the waist and used "Mark Seam" (I though it would help with the selection, but perhaps it was not necessary). Then I have selected all the faces above the seam with the Circular Selection brush, using "occlude background geometry" when needed. Now I need to create a new Object and parent the selected faces to this new Object.

I don't know how to proceed... is this something I can do in Edit mode or Object mode? How?

It is far, far simpler than that; just select the verts you want to separate, go to mesh -> vertices -> separate (hotkey: P).

This will remove the selected vertices from the current object, and create a new object with them.

The vertices will keep their weight-painting and material property as well as UV mapping.

If you wish to keep the current vertices in the current object, but create another object that also contains them, you can duplicate the vertices (hotkey: Shift+D) then separate them.

Again, they will keep any weight-painting and material property, as well as UV mapping.

Having vertices that do not form a face selected while using separate will create a duplicate of those vertices in the new object.

In reality, only those vertices that have all of the faces (perhaps all edges are also required, but having edges that do not form a face makes absolutely zero sense in most cases with Oblivion in mind) they help create selected will be removed from the current object. Any vertices on the "border" between selected faces and unselected ones will be in both objects.

and obviously this only canceled the selection...

Not only that, but also...

Having vertices that do not form a face selected while using separate will create a duplicate of those vertices in the new object.

Don't worry, those vertices are no more in the mesh (I reloaded my initial .blend file, with just the waistline selected).

• 6 months later...

Greetings.

Thank you Vaelorian for your answer.

@ QuiteTheTail.

I suppose you asked this for the Darigaz 's DMZ Alpha body , right ?

And you submit to him your separated parts , right ?

So , finally ,what was his answer , please ?

I saw a few days ago a " +/- chainmail " ( at the Other Site Over There ...) outfit for the DMZ body , but this is still for the " Alpha version , so i'm waiting for a definitive version.

I took yesterday another outfit from Darigaz's blog ( Present 1 ) but this one is still for the "Alpha version too  .

Where i found a few months ago the DMZ body  ( Darigaz's Blog " Where no one goes " ) , Darigaz said he 'll post a spiltted version ( so i suppose a " final " version  now ) .... later , but there is still nothing new there.

I like this body too , in fact it is close to the GBEC body ... i merged for a test the GBEC upper with the ZKEC lower ( +/- the one from DMZ ) and vice versa ... just for a test but i think you already know that ... actually , the  " TBSK 's Normal Map "  don't match  exactly the DMZ body ... but that's another storry .

So, if you  got an answer from Darigaz about his  "Alpha " version, please, let us know. Of course if this wasn't a "private"  message.

I don't know what happened with KingKong, he wasn't here since a few months ,now, so the most active person for the ZKEC body isn't there anymore ... snifff.

Cheers.

Greetings.

@ QuiteTheTail.

[...]

So, if you  got an answer from Darigaz about his  "Alpha " version, please, let us know. Of course if this wasn't a "private"  message.

I don't know what happened with KingKong, he wasn't here since a few months ,now, so the most active person for the ZKEC body isn't there anymore ... snifff.

Cheers.

I told Risray (or Darigaz) to freeze because, as you discovered and reported, the body was defective.

I have to admit, I wasn't working on it anymore because I'm not sure what is it that you wanted. I mean, I am inclined to use the Setbody Reloaded resources (specifically, the ZKEC Queen lowerbody) as they are imposing as the new standard, but you seemed more biased towards ziitch's original version.

Let me know if you're still interested, and what is your wish.

If I manage to create a bug-free version, I will submit it to Darigaz and then he will decide.

Greetings.

@ QuiteTheTail.

[...]

Cheers.

I told Risray (or Darigaz) to freeze because, as you discovered and reported, the body was defective.

I have to admit, I wasn't working on it anymore because I'm not sure what is it that you wanted. I mean, I am inclined to use the Setbody Reloaded resources (specifically, the ZKEC Queen lowerbody) as they are imposing as the new standard, but you seemed more biased towards ziitch's original version.

Let me know if you're still interested, and what is your wish.

If I manage to create a bug-free version, I will submit it to Darigaz and then he will decide.

Hi there.

Bonjour " QuiteTheTail" .

Not actually , the first thing i wanted was the two separated legs .... i don't care if they are perfectly separated or not , that's just because i took a look at " Master Growlf " old model ( probably his Hot Body 3 or 3.1 ... the lower body there used 3 different meshes , The legs are separated and there is a middle part too ( not quiet sure because i don't have it anymore on this machine , and it is no more alviable at " That Site Over There " ...

So for my test, your model is enough, it has something to do with the " open vagina animated meshes "... it's another way to "animate these parts , but i have no time for this actually ( and i don't really care about animated female  "lips ", i prefer " male little balls " .... :°)

Actually i have other ideas in mind and a lot other things to finish first ...

I will come back to the DMZ body later and i hope KingKong 'd be able to come back at LL soon , too ... Gerra6 is missing, Poontank, and now Kingkong .... that's too much. Snifff.

Anyway , thank you for the reply.

Cheers.

Not actually , the first thing i wanted was the two separated legs

Yes, I remember it. The experience gained after your odd request proved useful when converting the Morrigan outfit for DMRA-GUTS. There are separated parts there, too (they are easy to spot inspecting the nif with Blender or Nifskope).

If you're looking for something more closely related to the subject, check this other post:

http://www.loverslab.com/topic/52758-uv-unwrap-in-blender-249b-help-needed/?do=findComment&comment=1325013

Archived