Downloads coming back online

Currently in the Oblivion downloads you may notice that many of them are still linking to the old download system, these will be trickling back into the new system overtime. I tried to prioritize the bigger mods first as it takes some time to import them into the new system. If your particular mod isn't imported yet, just send me a PM and I'll try to get to quicker.

Thanks!

I really don't like to complain, but given the situation there are a few things concerning the transition to the new system that I must make sure you are thinking about. I'll apologize in advance for any ignorance on my part or if this comes off as condescending or otherwise abusive, so I hope you can understand that my intent is not to put anyone down but to address serious issues with this transition and to preserve the utility and quality of this site.

With that said, the new format does have its advantages, but it also has the major disadvantage of breaking every download link posted before its implementation. For the end user this means that until such time as the new system can be widely adopted most of the content offered by this site is going to be unavailable. While the discussions about how to use the mods remain, their utility is greatly diminished if the mods in question can't be found.

Furthermore, even when the relevant posts are updated to contain their respective mods it will be difficult for users to find them. Since all urls for threads have been changed in accordance with the new site, posts which direct the user to the original download thread for a mod are now useless.

Until all (or most) of the old information can be integrated into the new system in a meaningful manner there are a few things you could do that would greatly benefit the users of this site.

First: A list of links to the posts containing the new downloads for mods transferred from the old system. Due to the nature of the old system of centralized downloads and the fact that all the old internal links are now useless it is not necessarily a simple matter to find the original post for a mod where the new download would be placed. Doing this would help with that problem and keep users updated on how the transition to the new download links is progressing.

Second: If a list which cross-references old and new thread urls exists that information would be invaluable to have. Of course if no such list exists then this is impossible and nothing can be done. If it does though it would greatly increase the usefulness of old threads and allow easier updating of old posts for those users who choose to do so.

Third: If possible bring back the old download system either for a short period of time or until the new links are ready. Again, if it's not possible then that's that, but if it is then it will help smooth things over until all the old files are accounted for.

Again, sorry if I came across as rude. I'm sure that running a forum involves a lot more work than I could possibly know, and a major change like what you just did even more so. However I think that implementing as many of these suggestions as possible would go a long way to help smooth over the transition for the users.

I really don't like to complain' date=' but given the situation there are a few things concerning the transition to the new system that I must make sure you are thinking about. I'll apologize in advance for any ignorance on my part or if this comes off as condescending or otherwise abusive, so I hope you can understand that my intent is not to put anyone down but to address serious issues with this transition and to preserve the utility and quality of this site.

With that said, the new format does have its advantages, but it also has the [b']major[/b] disadvantage of breaking every download link posted before its implementation. For the end user this means that until such time as the new system can be widely adopted most of the content offered by this site is going to be unavailable. While the discussions about how to use the mods remain, their utility is greatly diminished if the mods in question can't be found.

Furthermore, even when the relevant posts are updated to contain their respective mods it will be difficult for users to find them. Since all urls for threads have been changed in accordance with the new site, posts which direct the user to the original download thread for a mod are now useless.

Until all (or most) of the old information can be integrated into the new system in a meaningful manner there are a few things you could do that would greatly benefit the users of this site.

First: A list of links to the posts containing the new downloads for mods transferred from the old system. Due to the nature of the old system of centralized downloads and the fact that all the old internal links are now useless it is not necessarily a simple matter to find the original post for a mod where the new download would be placed. Doing this would help with that problem and keep users updated on how the transition to the new download links is progressing.

Second: If a list which cross-references old and new thread urls exists that information would be invaluable to have. Of course if no such list exists then this is impossible and nothing can be done. If it does though it would greatly increase the usefulness of old threads and allow easier updating of old posts for those users who choose to do so.

Third: If possible bring back the old download system either for a short period of time or until the new links are ready. Again, if it's not possible then that's that, but if it is then it will help smooth things over until all the old files are accounted for.

Again, sorry if I came across as rude. I'm sure that running a forum involves a lot more work than I could possibly know, and a major change like what you just did even more so. However I think that implementing as many of these suggestions as possible would go a long way to help smooth over the transition for the users.

The change had to happen for the site to properly grow, you're not wrong about it having a disadvantage, but the longer we wait to make the change the more that disadvantage grows.

All the major downloads are back online. And the minor ones coming back up quickly as I find the time.

I can also easily set up redirects from the old downloads to the new downloads fixing the problem of broken links to downloads scattered around the internet, but one step at a time.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

It's unrelated to the attachment issue, the attachment issue was just the wrong install of php starting up after a server reboot last night, I'm lazy and forgot to remove php-fcgi after installing php-fpm. The timeout problem however is unrelated and just happened to occur around the same time.

It was an nginx problem, the disk ran out of space and it started freaking out about not being able to write log files anymore, so it started rejecting connections.

logrotate was misconfigured and not rotating out the nginx access logs. Removed 25GB (aka half the partition) of log files, reconfigured logrotate, rebooted nginx, should be smooth sailing now.

What's happened to spoiler/quote/url buttons? They all became [undefined=undefined] [/undefined] to me yesterday.

Not that it's related to the "downloads coming back online", but i don't feel like starting a new thread right now.

What's happened to spoiler/quote/url buttons? They all became [undefined=undefined] [/undefined] to me yesterday.

Not that it's related to the "downloads coming back online"' date=' but i don't feel like starting a new thread right now.

[/quote']

That's a firefox 16 problem, you'll have to type them in manually until firefox or mybb fixes it, or rollback to version 15