RPG Maker Community Idea: Contribution/Opinions much appreciated.

metalr1

Before reading, I've no idea if this sort of thing exists anywhere else and I'm sure it probably does or has at one point.
I see a lot of potential given how productive and interactive the forum community can be.

I had an idea that I think would be pretty interesting if attempted. It would work the same way a lot of the mods here do, each member contributes their ideas in their own way. Using RPG maker we create either a collaboration with multiple people working together, or one large project that everybody has their own section or space in. This way both the more experienced coders/modders and the less experienced are welcome to try their ideas and become involved as much or little as they please.

• The game would have no real "ending". Think of it as a sandbox rpg with multiple plots, quests, storylines, etc.

• The basic idea would to have either one solid main protagonist that's created by majority rule, or multiple characters to switch off playing as throughout the game.

• The game could be separated into a few basic guidelines. Overworld maps implimented to separate the types of missions. Basic and "innocent" ones like DiD or light bondage, more in depth missions that involve sexual themes, and "hardcore" missions that go full out with sex/hentai, and possibly a 4th section to add in fetishes like bestiality, impregnation, if deemed necessary to split it off from the hardcore mode.

• Each member could have their own downloaded copy as a backup, or keep version upload links available in post. Just in case newer/less experienced members or simple mistakes happen. Or if two scripts or created levels make issues. Just like mods that interfere with one another.

I could see multiple pros for something like this.

• It gives people opportunities to try out their own ideas, giving the freedom to add in smaller stories and missions that don't require as much time compared to making a full blown story and/or game. Those that have always had small ideas or small story ideas that they just couldn't piece together with a larger story, this would be their chance.

• Everyone gets to enjoy each others work. People can share and others can "beta test" these ideas, maybe turning them into full games in the future.

• Possibly receiving help through means of advice and criticism, so if anything the experiment could be beneficial to those that are trying to understand or get better with rpg maker or those that just need motivation to get started.

There is few difference that you need to take in mind. Making mod is much easier, because you build in on existing system - so you don't need to worry about non mod related fillers. Second game maker is a a vague engine, that need to be heavy scripted to get anything of it. Third, only few people have experience with it.

How about Ren'Py? It's an engine for visual novels, so you mainly need to write text and draw images. The biggest danger when it comes to these kinds of ideas is that you burn out and give up half-way through because it's too much work. I'd recommend keeping it simple. You can always create something more complicated later.

I also made some simple games with Löve. It gives you the freedom to create any kind of 2D game but requires you to program it from the ground up.

While it *could* be done, RPG maker isn't the friendliest for this kind of project, and it does involve considerable scripting. A good idea, but implementing it would be a pain.

True, some things are more easily done in RPG maker and don't require as much scripting or any at all.

It's got a good amount of events and such set up, and it doesn't take all that long to learn compared to other programs.

I think it would be a pain at first most definitely, but after it got initially set up I feel like it wouldn't be so much of a hassle.

Maybe make a separate section for the RPG maker specific thread, turn it into it's own little sub-section.

As far as scripting goes.. A few of the bigger modders already collaborate to an extent. Once one script is put into use others would be able to alter and edit it on their own versions of the game. Plus there's already template scripts or free to use examples.

How about Ren'Py? It's an engine for visual novels, so you mainly need to write text and draw images. The biggest danger when it comes to these kinds of ideas is that you burn out and give up half-way through because it's too much work. I'd recommend keeping it simple. You can always create something more complicated later.

I also made some simple games with Löve. It gives you the freedom to create any kind of 2D game but requires you to program it from the ground up.

Well it's not meant to be my own work necessarily, it's not meant to be a complete game either. It's meant to be kind of like a community game. Something to encourage collaboration, just for fun. Other good points to it would be motivation without expectation, an excuse for those that might already have the program to get themselves more familiar with it or a reason for those that have wanted to create games to start.

I'm sure there are members that don't know how to do technical things but excel in other places like artwork or storywriting. Just as there are members that would find it much easier to script or program a game but can't get in artwork. There aren't many drawbacks to the idea that I can see, other than it might be hard to get off the ground to begin with or people start getting interested then everyone bails at once.

As I said in another reply, opening a separate section for just RPG maker type program threads would be a good first step and make for better organization. If no real community project gets done at the very least it could be a good place to share user created games and help people connect with other RPG maker users for adult game making. 

As far as RPG maker is concerned there's very little games that aren't more than rape or sex, and even those numbers are on the smaller side. Not that there's anything wrong with those kinds of games, but I personally would appreciate seeing more DiDNapper styled games produced.

Well, good luck with that. If you just want to daydream and leave the heavy lifting to others, I don't see this going anywhere. Collaboration is a nice word but somebody has organize it, and even then there are plenty of hazards when it comes to voluntary contributions.

Well, good luck with that. If you just want to daydream and leave the heavy lifting to others, I don't see this going anywhere. Collaboration is a nice word but somebody has organize it, and even then there are plenty of hazards when it comes to voluntary contributions.

It was an idea, not one of those "Hey you guys should TOTALLY make a game for me" or anything like that.

I just meant I know we have a lot of talented people here, most ideal situation? Some kind of collaboration project.

At the very least? A new thread or section or whatever for RPG maker users. 

I'm not that familiar with forums so I've no real idea if there does exist one that's specifically geared towards both RPG Maker and kink/fetish ideas. RPG maker games have been mentioned elsewhere on the site, and there's really only a handful of games linked around. I thought this would be a fitting place for an idea like this.

As it stands I personally don't have scripting skills, I know RPG maker better than beginners but by no means am I a professional with it. I wouldn't mind being an organizer of sorts but even then I have a sort of busy schedule with college and other things.

Archived