TROUBLESHOOTING REQUEST: my presets, and Mod Organiser...

Okay - full disclosure: I am not a user of MO, nor am I planning to start being one any time soon.

HOWEVER - recently some people using MO do seem to be running into trouble when trying to use my Skyrim presets, and I have no idea why. It may be that I need to provide some kind of wacky MO-friendly instructional workaround, but I really have no clue. It is a problem which only seems to have begun appearing relatively recently, so I am thinking it is user-error of some kind.

I need the help of a knowledgeable MO user or two to test installation & use of my Nord & Breton presets (*LINKS IN MY SIG BELOW), and to see if anything is going wrong, or - if it is all working as intended - to tell me how I can instruct users for successful installation with MO.

I know this is a big ask, but this is something I really cannot do from my end. Your help would be very much appreciated! :unsure:

MO only requires the files it manages to be

• IN the Data folder
  • placed in proper structure
  • packed in a mod friendly fashion (7zip, rar etc)

Once that is done the mod will work just like any other mod installed into NMM etc. Even mods that require patching (FNIS, skyproc etc) can be ran following the very same instructions as is given to those given for NMM users.

The only thing I can see that can cause any problems are (provided the above is done):

• Mods that require being installed outside of the Data Folder like ENBs, Script managers like SKSE,
  • Most that must see other mods to be able to gather data before being installed for them to function correctly. FNV Hud mods are one such example.

The above is only a minor problem and requires a simple work around that most anyone that uses MO can address. Not a very big problem. There is a Unofficial MO thread here and I am sure many there can help your users if they just cant get it up and running and help you focus on your mod creation process :)

Yea. if there is a problem and it works with another manager I can't see it being an issue being installed by MO. Proper folderstructure .. no problem. It must be the users as far as I can see. I would test it myself as well but I don't have Skyrim or anything installed. :(.. Been playing some other games.

If that was the case then just moving that mod entry on the left side to the bottom near their patches (below any mods with presets) would be a quick easy test/fix for the problem. That should be what any experienced MO user should try. The experienced ones can check the conflicts and move those around to see if that fixes the issue.

No problem. Perhaps if they are still having problems send them to LL's unofficial MO thread for help diagnosing the issue.

Maybe they had other mods effecting the race presets? That's all that I can think of. Yours worked in my game, but I have nothing else that could effect the presets at all.

If that was the case then just moving that mod entry on the left side to the bottom near their patches (below any mods with presets) would be a quick easy test/fix for the problem. That should be what any experienced MO user should try. The experienced ones can check the conflicts and move those around to see if that fixes the issue.

Yes, this has been my advice from the start, basically - "in NMM, move my plugin to the BOTTOM of your load order in the Plugins list, confirm that the presets work, then move the plugin back UP the list one space at a time until the presets stop working, then you will have found your conflict" (varied wording over time, but consistent theme), & for MO "I can't troubleshoot it, sorry - best I can say is: follow the correct installation procedure for your mod organiser of choice" (more or less). In pretty much every previous case it's been simple user error. Sadly, I've just had a spate of "doesn't work" postings this year with no explanation... :(

*Any of you guys using the "ASIS" spawn mod? It may be unconnected/random, but a recent poster did mention it... :huh:

Yes, this has been my advice from the start, basically - "in NMM, move my plugin to the BOTTOM of your load order in the Plugins list, confirm that the presets work, then move the plugin back UP the list one space at a time until the presets stop working, then you will have found your conflict" (varied wording over time, but consistent theme), & for MO "I can't troubleshoot it, sorry - best I can say is: follow the correct installation procedure for your mod organiser of choice" (more or less). In pretty much every previous case it's been simple user error. Sadly, I've just had a spate of "doesn't work" postings this year with no explanation... :(

Well if the individuals are moving the mods on the right side from the near bottom (not absolutly bottom as some patches are required to be the last like FNIS, proc patches etc but right before the patches) and move up until they find the conflict is pretty sound advise.

I would add this for those that understand MO. Check the conflicts tab on your mod. See the mods that are entered on that panel. Move your mod below all of those conflicts. Then your mod will work as intended. If they desire to try to get conflicting mods to work they can slowly move the mod above each one of those conflicts until you find the one that is not working. Much like what you stated but more exact. The conflicts tab will tell exactly which of the files are being overwritten from your mod. Then they can be more exacting and direct only addressing those mods instead of each mod. ;). One of the benefits of MO.

After they find the conflict they then can choose which mod is more important. and move the mod up or down accordingly. Now the advanced user can even "Hide" parts of the mod(s) files that are conflicting if they aren't interested (and require) those parts in favor of the others. I did this with Sexlab and the Papyrus files and just had the most current version below to patch all the mods that required that file (like SOS). Then LOOT can move and suggest movement of whatever files that it thinks needs to be moved (left side) and It don't matter :). Did the same for some bodies etc as well when I need a very specific skeleton or texture mesh and multiple mods add their own versions.

Side comment:

checked the mod on the link in your sig. You got a pretty nice mod there. :)

*Any of you guys using the "ASIS" spawn mod? It may be unconnected/random, but a recent poster did mention it... :huh:

Currently I don't have Skyrim up and running to use any mod :P..

However before with my preferred setup with textures and such my rig didn't like spawn mods and I avoided them as much as possible.  Same principle applies. They open that mod on the left side where there is a set of tabs and check for conflicts. If your mod is not part of the conflicts listed then the issues aren't caused by your mod.  :). You can move on from there.

Well if the individuals are moving the mods on the right side from the near bottom (not absolutly bottom as some patches are required to be the last like FNIS, proc patches etc but right before the patches) and move up until they find the conflict is pretty sound advise.

I would add this for those that understand MO. Check the conflicts tab on your mod. See the mods that are entered on that panel. Move your mod below all of those conflicts. Then your mod will work as intended. If they desire to try to get conflicting mods to work they can slowly move the mod above each one of those conflicts until you find the one that is not working. Much like what you stated but more exact. The conflicts tab will tell exactly which of the files are being overwritten from your mod. Then they can be more exacting and direct only addressing those mods instead of each mod. ;). One of the benefits of MO.

After they find the conflict they then can choose which mod is more important. and move the mod up or down accordingly. Now the advanced user can even "Hide" parts of the mod(s) files that are conflicting if they aren't interested (and require) those parts in favor of the others. I did this with Sexlab and the Papyrus files and just had the most current version below to patch all the mods that required that file (like SOS). Then LOOT can move and suggest movement of whatever files that it thinks needs to be moved (left side) and It don't matter :). Did the same for some bodies etc as well when I need a very specific skeleton or texture mesh and multiple mods add their own versions.

Side comment:

checked the mod on the link in your sig. You got a pretty nice mod there. :)

Currently I don't have Skyrim up and running to use any mod :P..

However before with my preferred setup with textures and such my rig didn't like spawn mods and I avoided them as much as possible.  Same principle applies. They open that mod on the left side where there is a set of tabs and check for conflicts. If your mod is not part of the conflicts listed then the issues aren't caused by your mod.  :). You can move on from there.

I've added that tip to the sticky-post over at my Breton presets page, with credit given! Thanks RitualClarity, & thanks to all who have responded here! :)

solution to that problem that isn't related to mo was already in your readme...

While I cannot troubleshoot your load order for you, I CAN recommend the following: you MUST place the .esps for my presets mod BELOW any other mods which affect the target race in your load order!

don't waste your time with the ones that don't even bother reading it...

moving esp around, that's choosing between mod a and mod b

to fix the conflict, they have to put mod a in mod b (or mod b in mod a)

rv1HClI.jpg

all the ones that use requiem, and put it last in their load order, well... they will have vanilla presets

Yes you are correct, he did place the instructions there in the OP. Very clear but the MO users were still thinking something was wrong and having problems. The comment he added was specifically directed at MO users with verbiage that they should understand on how to check and verify if there is any issues. It was only to address the issues that many MO uses were reporting (despite having basic instructions in the OP that would allow them to solve their own problems easy enough)

WE all know that everybody reads the OP fully and endeavors to understand all instructions, correct :P

While I cannot troubleshoot your load order for you, I CAN recommend the following: you MUST place the .esps for my presets mod BELOW any other mods which affect the target race in your load order!

rv1HClI.jpg

all the ones that use requiem, and put it last in their load order, well... they will have vanilla presets

Yes, I've had that text there for a long while. Annoyingly though, since March this year there has been a number of people posting "This doesn't work", and those posts have seemed to linger near the top of the page for a long while. They're the first thing people will be seeing, which can't be very reassuring. Several of them seemed to have at least *tried* to look at their load order, but I have absolutely no idea how they've managed to mess it up... :huh:

rv1HClI.jpg

Yes you are correct, he did place the instructions there in the OP. Very clear but the MO users were still thinking something was wrong and having problems. The comment he added was specifically directed at MO users with verbiage that they should understand on how to check and verify if there is any issues. It was only to address the issues that many MO uses were reporting (despite having basic instructions in the OP that would allow them to solve their own problems easy enough)

WE all know that everybody reads the OP fully and endeavors to understand all instructions, correct :P

Oh how I *WISH* people would read sticky posts... I started using them after I began to realise that people weren't reading the Description... then I realised they weren't reading the stickies either. :lol:

*On my armours page, they do seem to read the stickies though, which is interesting... :huh:

anyone that has modded a game for even a little soon realize armors are complex and those individuals will read a bit more than someone just browsing and downloading.

There is a mod on lovers lab (for fallout new Vegas) that is designed to help teach those that refuse to read the instructions. :) It is really sad that MO users don't realize the tools that they have available to help resolve those minor issues that they were reporting. (I saw some of the reports :)).

yatol was correct as usual :P  There was enough info for your users (using NMM) as well as MO users to resolve any issues that they gotten pretty easily. There weren't any need for added info but sometimes you have to stop and help those that can't help themselves. It would be nice if Nexus users were like Lovers users and point the wayward user of your mod to the stickies and even quote them as many here do for mod authors. :).  Even as strict or problematic as some say Nexus is when posting etc. I doubt anyone would have issues with polite pointing out the OP or even quoting the part that the user missed. Just be polite and you should be fine. However they don't seem to be helping you out as much.

It would be nice if Nexus users were like Lovers users and point the wayward user of your mod to the stickies

i don't see any difference

want to see something funny?

http://www.loverslab.com/topic/42073-best-looking-npc-overhaul/?p=1094013

everyone is repeating the same thing, again and again, since nobody bother reading

http://www.loverslab.com/topic/42073-best-looking-npc-overhaul/?p=1086847

http://www.loverslab.com/topic/42073-best-looking-npc-overhaul/?p=1074870

mod b overwrite mod a, same problem as here, and same solution too

I see the same you see however I also see people like you helping out on a very regular basis by actually reading and answering the question. ;). I have a Nexus account and go there on occasion and from what I read other than the OP or creator of the blog or mod etc. very few actually add useful content or help in useful ways those that ask or need support.

I haven't even gotten the games that are modded here installed. However I still come back every day to help out, however in truth I my ability to help with the current mods are getting less and less as many changes have occurred over the last year and my info is out of date. However basic mod support is still the same :D

Archived