Windows 10 and Skyrim

sunhawken

I was using Windows 7 Ultimate 64, upgraded to Windows 10, and my Skyrim experience has improved greatly.  I'm curious to know what's "broken" about Skyrim on Windows 10.

How does W10 improve Skyrim?

Supposedly windows 10 does processing faster, which makes skyrim faster.

In preview versions, benchmarks generally showed a fps increase across the board.

I use the same texture mods in all of my versions of skyrim as well as the same enb. So far iv seen about a 6 to 10 fps increase. Its not much but when you constantly around 30 fps in-game that can make a world of a difference. 

Since switching to WIN10 iv noticed a 35-45 fps average now which is nice. 

I was using Windows 7 Ultimate 64, upgraded to Windows 10, and my Skyrim experience has improved greatly.  I'm curious to know what's "broken" about Skyrim on Windows 10.

How does W10 improve Skyrim?

Supposedly windows 10 does processing faster, which makes skyrim faster.

In preview versions, benchmarks generally showed a fps increase across the board.

This is what I've experienced.  A noticeable framerate increase as well as additional stability while playing the game.  Far fewer random CTDs since I upgraded.

I was just wondering if there was something I should be looking for, since I haven't noticed any problems.

It was never broken! ² haha

I upgraded to Windows 10 and Skyrim still running fine.

The only difference I noticed is the VRAM usage.

On Windows 7, my Skyrim uses 1.5gb ~ 1.8GB VRAM.
Now in Windows 10, my Skyrim uses 1.9GB ~ 2.2GB VRAM.

Is strange because my GPU (GTX 650 ti boost) only has 2GB VRAM. :huh: 
(W10 Pro + Driver 353.62)

I don't see any change on performance though.

This sounds promising, but if Windows 10 improves performance, I'm wondering what exactly was "holding Skyrim back" on Windows 8.

I mean, if your machine is powerful enough, the difference between 8 and 10 seems like it would be negligible.

One of Microsoft's goals with 10 was to reduce OS overhead on gaming, to get closer to a console level of resource availability vis-a-vis your hardware. (Presumably three generations of X-Boxes have taught them a few things)

Basically XP~8.1 have had a sort of "drag" on your system performance in certain areas, while 10 knows how to step aside and let the game run.

@Bellona: Virtual memory. Some textures can be stored in RAM that the game can't access anyway since it's 32-bit and swapped into VRAM as needed rather than reading them from disk.

This sounds promising, but if Windows 10 improves performance, I'm wondering what exactly was "holding Skyrim back" on Windows 8.

I mean, if your machine is powerful enough, the difference between 8 and 10 seems like it would be negligible.

One of Microsoft's goals with 10 was to reduce OS overhead on gaming, to get closer to a console level of resource availability vis-a-vis your hardware. (Presumably three generations of X-Boxes have taught them a few things)

Basically XP~8.1 have had a sort of "drag" on your system performance in certain areas, while 10 knows how to step aside and let the game run.

@Bellona: Virtual memory. Some textures can be stored in RAM that the game can't access anyway since it's 32-bit and swapped into VRAM as needed rather than reading them from disk.

My bad video driver update is what crashed my windows 10 lucky i still have my windows 8 cd

Just slightly off topic here but I've been hesitant to upgrade because I heard there is issues with 3DS 2012 and below having issues in windows 10, in no way confirmed at all I just saw some reports of this when researching, not much info overall however. Perhaps the tools used to work with Skyrim content in those versions? Can anyone please confirm their experience with 3DS 2012, or 11 on Windows 10 and if i works, nif exporting tools or havok content tools as well? Thank you for the help, all my Skyrim modding depends on having 3DS 2012 working.

Just slightly off topic here but I've been hesitant to upgrade because I heard there is issues with 3DS 2012 and below having issues in windows 10, in no way confirmed at all I just saw some reports of this when researching, not much info overall however. Perhaps the tools used to work with Skyrim content in those versions? Can anyone please confirm their experience with 3DS 2012, or 11 on Windows 10 and if i works, nif exporting tools or havok content tools as well? Thank you for the help, all my Skyrim modding depends on having 3DS 2012 working.

"

A few things that did work in previous versions of Windows won’t work properly on Windows 10.

Any application or hardware that requires an old driver will be a problem. If you depend on an application that interfaces with a Windows XP-era hardware device and the manufacturer has never provided a driver that works on Windows 7, you’re likely in trouble. On the other hand, if there is a driver that does work on Windows 7, your hardware should continue working properly on Windows 10.

RELATED ARTICLE
windows-xp-mode-on-windows-8.png
How to Get Windows XP Mode on Windows 8

“Windows XP Mode” isn’t included with Windows 8. Microsoft will soon be discontinuing support for Windows XP and doesn’t want... [Read Article]

Any application that only worked on Windows XP and broke in the upgrade to Windows 7 also won’t work on Windows 10 — don’t expect it to. The Professional versions of Windows 10 don’t offer the “XP Mode” feature Microsoft offered in Windows 7. If you absolutely do depend on Windows XP software that doesn’t run properly on Windows 7 or newer versions of Windows, you can set up your own Windows XP virtual machine.

16-bit applications — that is, any application left over from the Windows 3.1 era — also won’t work on 64-bit versions of Windows 10. If you had a 32-bit version of Windows 7, they would run on that. If you do depend on ancient 16-bit applications, be sure you install the 32-bit version of Windows 10. This is just like with Windows 7 — 16-bit applications wouldn’t run on 64-bit versions of Windows 7, either. Try to run a 16-bit application on the 64-bit version of Windows 10 and you’ll see a “This app can’t run on your PC” message.

"

Pretty much if you upgrade and can't downgrade (since there is no windows 10 CD/DVD) your fucked I was lucky cause my pc came with a windows 8 cd

• 2 weeks later...

Archived