(HELP) Can't seem to apply alpha to the body mesh for this armor...

So I've been messing about with the Draugr armor. Through both the use of The "Skyrim Modesty Mod" (which helped out a lot) and amidianborn's textures, I've been trying to make a lighter sort of leather-esque draugr armor. I'll ask the makers of both mods if they'd be okay with me publically releasing this (It's a basic armor mashup.)

However, I'm stuck at the moment. See, the body mesh still has the legs on it. Being the type who fixes most things with alpha layers, I made a copy of the body texture, set it to use that, cut out the legs on the copy and added a NiAlphaFlag to the nif. I set the flags to 128, disabled blending, set the value to Greater and enabled testing. It looks perfectly fine in Nifskope

My problem, however, is that the alpha layer does NOT apply ingame. I even tried manually messing with the vertices in nifskope (I'm awful with blender/3ds max). I can't seem to figure this out, and the clipping is horrible ingame.

Any help?

(By the way, be warned I'm not all that great with mashups in nifskope. It's kind of ugly at the moment xD

draugrarmorfemalelight_0.nif

I made a copy of the body texture, set it to use that, cut out the legs on the copy and added a NiAlphaFlag to the nif

6HAugL1.jpg

legs in the pants

ALOGNVS.jpg

no more clipping

4cNwSOy.jpg

or just download the nif to blender tuto on nexus, import the nif and delete the pants

CZP2JLN.jpg

y3v5jg2.jpg

sBVkRhD.jpg

or make them bigger

wMrGtky.jpg

I made a copy of the body texture, set it to use that, cut out the legs on the copy and added a NiAlphaFlag to the nif

6HAugL1.jpg

legs in the pants

ALOGNVS.jpg

no more clipping

4cNwSOy.jpg

or just download the nif to blender tuto on nexus, import the nif and delete the pants

CZP2JLN.jpg

y3v5jg2.jpg

sBVkRhD.jpg

or make them bigger

wMrGtky.jpg

I don't have trouble with actually messing with the mesh itself, but I can't for the life of me figure out the weight painting / rigging bits. I've never been able to.

Is that something that's necessary? Or can I just port the armor into blender, mess about with it then export it without having to do all that stuff?

You can run the armor through Outfit Studio and Bodyslide 2, to straight up remove mesh parts. And I don't mean just deleting an element of the mesh, but applying a mask that Bodyslide will use to remove the masked sections entirely.

Oooh. I had heard that bodyslide can do cool stuff, but didn't know it was that useful. I'll have to install it and give it a shot.

Thanks for the tip! :)

You can't use alpha transparency for body parts (anything using the "Skin Tint" shader type) because Skyrim doesn't use the alpha channel on skin textures for anything.  It is ignored.  This extends to diffuse, model space normals, speculars and subsurface _sk textures.  The only exception to this is the "EnableTextureAlpha" parameter in ENB which uses the alpha channel of the _sk texture for subsurface scattering.

I don't fully understand the reason why you're trying to remove parts of the body mesh, but in any event the only way to do this is by removing the polygon faces themselves in a 3d modeling program.

Archived