Why do NPCs with melee weapons keep backing out of their own melee range?

Question

See this webm : http://webmup.com/75102/

I managed to partially fix this for creatures (not NPCs) by setting fCombatDistance to a lower value (48). However, NPCs still constantly walk backwards out of their own melee range.

I already tried removing all hold/dodge timers from their combat style, and setting them to have 0 dodge modifiers. No luck.

Anyone know why they are doing this? Its making them do a LOT less damage in melee because they keep moving backwards.

Creatures will stay in melee range 100% of the time though, just not NPCs.

Nice video!

Long shot but could be combination of navmesh of area, collision box avoidance between characters, raider is a pussy so starts fleeing (morale), the guy with the golf club looked like he had no problem continuing the attack, many had pistols and would back up to I suspect a minimum firing range? Just throwing out some ideas.

The problem is i have all the dodge timers and chances set to 0 so in theory, they shouldnt be dodging...unless its hard coded or something else is making them dodge.

I dont know anything about navmesh...how could that affect it?

Fro what ive seen, creatures (like ghouls and animals) never do this, only NPCs (humans, non feral ghouls).

fcombatdistance sets the minimum range, the problem is settinng it to a low number like 48 allows creatures to attack without backing away, but NPCs still do that. Ive treid setting weapon min ranges to 0, no luck.

Setting it to a VERY low number like 0 or near 0 breaks the AI completely.

Navmesh could inhibit movement or make npcs get stuck, you've seen npc/companions bounce around on a rock edge then finally get by it types of scenarios but in open spaces this should be less of an issue. My understanding is there is a also cover system but I don't know if it really works or how much its implemented by the original game or by modded content. Some times I think it is the path finding calculations relative to the navmesh, tight hallway limited movement so npcs bumb each other an then recalculate path again, looks odd sometimes like fleeing and then changing mind and attack again.

Part 5 talks about cover - http://geck.bethsoft.com/index.php/Bethsoft_Tutorial_Navmesh

fcombatdistance description leads me to believe that is what is causing them to do what you describe "he/she will back away as soon as possible" makes it sound like its a high priority choice for the ai. There was also  FCombatDistanceMin, but I could not find any info on it. There is also nothing that says how far you have to encroach into the min space before this behavior kicks in, after that could be collision boxes of characters that force them to back away.

FCombatConfidenceModifierMax/Min are the ones I was thinking of in terms of morale have no idea on usage.

After that the only thing left is the specific AI packages assigned to the NPC and its behavior.

Archived