Skyrim computer rigs (heavy modding)

I was planning on getting a new computer soon, since mine cant use many enb's, but i was curious...

http://www.dell.com/uk/p/alienware-area51-r2/pd.aspx

^ How would these computers hold up on heavy skyrim modding? ENB's, lots of extra mods too and textures etc. (the heavy stuff)

Without changing any of the parts listed how would one of these run skyrim under plenty of mods with enb? I'm not really sure,

so I was wondering if someone could tell me about this.

Sorry if I sound silly, but I'm not even clever with computers when it comes to hardware and drivers etc.

Thanks to anyone with helpful info!

It will handle the game, but it's exceedingly overpriced.

With patience you can get parts separately from newegg or another place, then build it yourself or have someone build it for you. Alienware you get everything good to go packaged up, but you're paying the extra large premium. That extra price you're paying you could get upgrades to many of the parts those Alienwares have packaged - or get the same items offered in those packages with plenty of septims to spare. 

It will handle the game, but it's exceedingly overpriced.

With patience you can get parts separately from newegg or another place, then build it yourself or have someone build it for you. Alienware you get everything good to go packaged up, but you're paying the extra large premium. That extra price you're paying you could get upgrades to many of the parts those Alienwares have packaged - or get the same items offered in those packages with plenty of septims to spare. 

I have no experiance but if thats' true then yeah I guess I shouldn't, the thing that makes me say yes is that when I got my computer it had so many problems that I just want a completely clean slate if that makes sense...

If you have building experience or know a friend who has experience with building a computer. Start with PCpartpicker.com

Sounds useful, I just looked at it and it might be quite good!

If you have little to no experience at all. Start browsing youtube, thats honestly how I know so much.

EDIT: If you want us to get you started with parts, we can help. Just ask. The building is up to you though :/

I think I'm willing to learn putting it together myself, but honestly even though I'm going for an alienware, it would be so much better for me to by recommended parts, if you could set me off with some parts that would withstand what I asked for (maybe more???) then that would be great, I assume it would cheaper and equally as good, so if you could help I would love that!

If you can get over this guy's obnoxious, nasally voice then watch his PC build videos.

LinusTechTips

I cant deny... He just pierced through my speakers, I didn't expect that, but if he's helpful I'll get over it hopefully!

I don't claim to be a hardware expert, and my knowledge is a bit dated from when I was picking out a computer for myself many years ago, but I'll try to help.

Personally I wouldn't buy any computers that came with more than one graphics card because it isn't as "future proof" as spending less or the same on a single graphics card, and then maybe getting a second years later when they are cheaper and games require more. For example, getting 1 gtx 980 for $500 rather than 2 gtx 960's for $500 (prices are probably wrong but you get the idea), then once newer games come out and you can't run them at the highest settings you get a second gtx 980 for much less than $500. If you choose the 2 960s now, years later they will be much worse later on. This way is can be more expensive, but you may never need to get a second card.

If you're only going to be gaming, I'm pretty sure an i5 quad core CPUs (instead of the i7s) will be good enough for whatever plans you have with skyrim and ENBs and will be cheaper. Although I could be wrong on that one since my potato can't handle ENBs so I haven't tested.

reddit has some subreddits for people looking to build computers and most people there can be really helpful. /r/buildapc or /r/pcmasterrace would be a decent place start

I don't claim to be a hardware expert, and my knowledge is a bit dated from when I was picking out a computer for myself many years ago, but I'll try to help.

Personally I wouldn't buy any computers that came with more than one graphics card because it isn't as "future proof" as spending less or the same on a single graphics card, and then maybe getting a second years later when they are cheaper and games require more. For example, getting 1 gtx 980 for $500 rather than 2 gtx 960's for $500 (prices are probably wrong but you get the idea), then once newer games come out and you can't run them at the highest settings you get a second gtx 980 for much less than $500. If you choose the 2 960s now, years later they will be much worse later on. This way is can be more expensive, but you may never need to get a second card.

If you're only going to be gaming, I'm pretty sure an i5 quad core CPUs (instead of the i7s) will be good enough for whatever plans you have with skyrim and ENBs and will be cheaper. Although I could be wrong on that one since my potato can't handle ENBs so I haven't tested.

reddit has some subreddits for people looking to build computers and most people there can be really helpful. /r/buildapc or /r/pcmasterrace would be a decent place start

That was interesting, I'll keep this in mind for sure, thanks a lot!!

Give me a budget and 15 minutes after :)

Since I'm UK a budget of £2000-£3000 at max I think? Prefibly within the 2000 limit if its possible thanks a bunch also!

Assuming you have Peripheral: Screen, Mouse, Keyboard ect.
Just under 2700 Euros. Another option would be one of the newest Intel CPUs Nicknamed Skylake.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  (£303.80 @ Scan.co.uk) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (£127.76 @ Amazon UK) 
Motherboard: Asus X99-DELUXE ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  (£291.80 @ Amazon UK) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  (£196.00 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£125.94 @ Aria PC) 
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX Video Card (2-Way SLI)  (£597.59 @ Aria PC) 
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX Video Card (2-Way SLI)  (£597.59 @ Aria PC) 
Case: Cooler Master HAF X ATX Full Tower Case  (£129.98 @ Novatech) 
Total: £2715.25
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-29 05:49 BST+0100

EDIT: I went ahead built an insanely OP Skylake Option.

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 73.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (£86.49 @ Amazon UK) 
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VIII HERO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (£172.86 @ More Computers) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  (£196.00 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£125.94 @ Aria PC) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X 12GB Superclocked Video Card (2-Way SLI)  (£823.49 @ More Computers) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X 12GB Superclocked Video Card (2-Way SLI)  (£823.49 @ More Computers) 
Case: NZXT Phantom 820 (Black) ATX Full Tower Case  (£179.75 @ CCL Computers) 
Total: £2943.84
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-29 06:02 BST+0100

I would go with what Antox gave you. Pre-built pc's are way overpriced and generally weaker than you would get from building it together yourself. Also you shouldn't get scared at putting it together since there is plenty of guides on Youtube. I built mine with out knowing anything about pc's either.

Just under 2700 Euros. Another option would be one of the newest Intel CPUs Nicknamed Skylake.

Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VIII HERO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (£172.86 @ More Computers) 

Thanks so much!! I think I might try this instead of the alienware choice, both of these you belive will be able to play a very demanding skyrim??

Also Im assuming the 2nd option will be completely better than the first?

I would go with what Antox gave you. Pre-built pc's are way overpriced and generally weaker than you would get from building it together yourself. Also you shouldn't get scared at putting it together since there is plenty of guides on Youtube. I built mine with out knowing anything about pc's either.

Well its nice to know its been done before  :)

Makes a bit more confident to be honest!

Thanks so much!! I think I might try this instead of the alienware choice, both of these you belive will be able to play a very demanding skyrim??

The Titan X (Second Option) Is one of the most (there are others) powerful single GPU on the market. It can run any game you throw at it with FPS ranging in the 100s, with settings maxed out. This thing will blow right through a heavily modded skyrim, with no fuss.

EDIT: A better explanation:

1st Option, is with a Haswell Intel (Slightly older), Contains two 980 Ti's each with 6gb of VRAM (More VRAM will help with textures).

2nd Option, Contains a an Intel Skylake (Literally came out a few months ago), With two Titan X Video Cards, each with 12GB of VRAM.

These are both equally fast computers tbh. But it comes down to preference and what you plan on doing with the rig.

If you plan on playing many other games either then just Skyrim: Second Option. If you just plan on playing Skyrim with a few other games: First Option.

It's still better to have a custom-assembled rig than you would get a prebuilt boutique machine.

Given the specs posted here, in addition to at least four 12cm cooling fans, don't forget to add a solid UPS to make sure you shutdown properly when the juice flickers out, as well as stabilizing the incoming power. Best brand is of course from APC, so match the PSU's wattage consumption with the appropriate UPS model.

To give you a visual representation of what Antrox's Titan X SLI build would do, look at this guy's Flickr. He plays Skyrim at 4k resolution (he has a video somewhere buried underneath all the pictures) and it barely seems to make a dent in his FPS.

I managed to see the video, it looks lovely! May I ask do you have any idea how long the computer may last?  (Not as in future proof but just like till its gets slow etc)

But honestly I like the looks of it! If I may ask another thing, when time comes to replace parts, how would identify the parts that need it?

It's still better to have a custom-assembled rig than you would get a prebuilt boutique machine.

Given the specs posted here, in addition to at least four 12cm cooling fans, don't forget to add a solid UPS to make sure you shutdown properly when the juice flickers out, as well as stabilizing the incoming power. Best brand is of course from APC, so match the PSU's wattage consumption with the appropriate UPS model.

I dont understand this to much? I'm completely new... If you could explain in more depth for someone silly like myself? I'm so sorry I dont know much at all...

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  (£303.80 @ Scan.co.uk) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (£127.76 @ Amazon UK) 
Motherboard: Asus X99-DELUXE ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  (£291.80 @ Amazon UK) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  (£196.00 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£125.94 @ Aria PC) 
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX Video Card (2-Way SLI)  (£597.59 @ Aria PC) 
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX Video Card (2-Way SLI)  (£597.59 @ Aria PC) 
Case: Cooler Master HAF X ATX Full Tower Case  (£129.98 @ Novatech) 
Total: £2715.25

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 73.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (£86.49 @ Amazon UK) 
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VIII HERO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (£172.86 @ More Computers) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  (£196.00 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£125.94 @ Aria PC) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X 12GB Superclocked Video Card (2-Way SLI)  (£823.49 @ More Computers) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X 12GB Superclocked Video Card (2-Way SLI)  (£823.49 @ More Computers) 
Case: NZXT Phantom 820 (Black) ATX Full Tower Case  (£179.75 @ CCL Computers) 
Total: £2943.84

The Titan X (Second Option) Is one of the most (there are others) powerful single GPU on the market. It can run any game you throw at it with FPS ranging in the 100s, with settings maxed out. This thing will blow right through a heavily modded skyrim, with no fuss.

1st Option, is with a Haswell Intel (Slightly older), Contains two 980 Ti's each with 6gb of VRAM (More VRAM will help with textures).

2nd Option, Contains a an Intel Skylake (Literally came out a few months ago), With two Titan X Video Cards, each with 12GB of VRAM.

These are both equally fast computers tbh. But it comes down to preference and what you plan on doing with the rig.

If you plan on playing many other games either then just Skyrim: Second Option. If you just plan on playing Skyrim with a few other games: First Option.

I think I might try to go with the second option out of saftey! If I may ask, how would these go against the alienware are 51?

I dont understand this to much? I'm completely new... If you could explain in more depth for someone silly like myself? I'm so sorry I dont know much at all...

In addition to the CPU cooling system, given the amount of power this would-be sexy beast of a machine brings on the table it needs to get itself cooled easily, hence the casing fans. These help circulate air around the casing and then bring performance-robbing waste heat out and suck in cool air. Depending on further needs, either you could get high-RPM fans or quiet fans (which cost a little more, but makes the room quieter).

An uninterruptible power supply unit has its own power source charged by the home circuit; it serves two purposes: one is to ensure clean power goes into your PC, filters away line surges and voltage drops that would normally cause a PC to suddenly restart due to power fluctuation; the other is to provide emergency power for a smooth shutdown in the event of an outage such as a severe storm bringing down the transmission line.

Bottom line: a UPS is more reliable than a surge protector.

To give you a visual representation of what Antrox's Titan X SLI build would do, look at this guy's Flickr. He plays Skyrim at 4k resolution (he has a video somewhere buried underneath all the pictures) and it barely seems to make a dent in his FPS.

I managed to see the video, it looks lovely! May I ask do you have any idea how long the computer may last?  (Not as in future proof but just like till its gets slow etc)

But honestly I like the looks of it! If I may ask another thing, when time comes to replace parts, how would identify the parts that need it?

You'll likely update or replace your PC before it completely expires. As for what parts to replace when they need it, it's just like diagnosing an illness; you got to run tests to pinpoint the problem. The best you can do, is just ensure proper airflow and keep it clean on the inside. The machine I replaced back in July lasted me a solid 5-6 years, with an upgrade here and there. Only thing that needed replacing, was when my HDD crashed.

Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VIII HERO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (£172.86 @ More Computers) 

I think I might try to go with the second option out of saftey! If I may ask, how would these go against the alienware are 51?

Alienware's are shitty made with cheap cooling and terrible caseing. In other words Dell sucks dick.

In addition to the CPU cooling system, given the amount of power this would-be sexy beast of a machine brings on the table it needs to get itself cooled easily, hence the casing fans. These help circulate air around the casing and then bring performance-robbing waste heat out and suck in cool air. Depending on further needs, either you could get high-RPM fans or quiet fans (which cost a little more, but makes the room quieter).

An uninterruptible power supply unit has its own power source charged by the home circuit; it serves two purposes: one is to ensure clean power goes into your PC, filters away line surges and voltage drops that would normally cause a PC to suddenly restart due to power fluctuation; the other is to provide emergency power for a smooth shutdown in the event of an outage such as a severe storm bringing down the transmission line.

Bottom line: a UPS is more reliable than a surge protector.

The case i provided already has enough fans for very high airflow. Cooler Master is very well known for that. There is absolutely no need to buy more fans... 

Try build the PC youself. Its a very good learning experience & with a budget like yours you could easily save 1000 $ while shopping in the net, a big box store ( they usually have good deals with mobo & CPU) and be patient for the deals. ( newegg & tiger direct will post some "back to school" one's anytime now :P

P.S

If you are going with the titan x, go for the hybrid. it would help bring your temps down 10-15 degrees. if you are going for the 4k experience

Also i may suggest to replace the stock fan on the radiator with a 120mm  (4250rpm) Gentle Typhoon  (very good static airflow for radiator, but VERY LOUD!!)

Try build the PC youself. Its a very good learning experience & with a budget like yours you could easily save 1000 $ while shopping in the net, a big box store ( they usually have good deals with mobo & CPU) and be patient for the deals. ( newegg & tiger direct will post some "back to school" one's anytime now :P

P.S

If you are going with the titan x, go for the hybrid. it would help bring your temps down 10-15 degrees. if you are going for the 4k experience

Also i may suggest to replace the stock fan on the radiator with a 120mm  (4250rpm) Gentle Typhoon  (very good static airflow for radiator, but VERY LOUD!!)

Sounds good! Do you mind if you could link me to these parts as well? (About the hybrid version what is the actual difference too if I may ask other than the temp??)

Thanks a bunch, I'll take this into account!

Alienware's are shitty made with cheap cooling and terrible caseing. In other words Dell sucks dick. 

Well that saves a lot of time I guess! So it would be a complete waste to go for alienware, well I think I've settled on building the computer myself now, thank you so much Antrox!

Archived