Windows 10 Causing Mod Issues?

Faust83

After upgrading to Windows 10, established saves began freezing for 20-30 seconds at a time, every 2 or 3 minutes.  I checked the Papyrus logs and saw they were unnaturally large.  A papyrus log for a 20 min. session was 1.86 gb.  New games generate the same errors in the log that old games do, i.e..

Cannot open store for class "follower3dnpc", missing file?
Cannot open store for class "SAM_QuestScript", missing file?
Cannot open store for class...

A log is attached for a 2 minute new game for an example.  It seems as though files are missing, but everything in the game seems to be working normally, as far as I can tell from intermittent playthroughs.

I did not install any new mods or change my load order since migrating to Win 10.  I'm hopeful that there is a solution that does not involve reinstalling everything, preferably something simple like changing a couple file names.

Anyone seen anything like this or have a quick fix?

Papyrus.3.log

make sure your MO isn't fucked after the update. that all means that your save has mods that were there before and now it can't find their data. actually, to be fair, it kind of was windows 10's fault. you might have a permissions problem. after i upgraded, files that were owned by my windows 8 user was un-readable by the windows 10 user because reasons. i had to do a bunch of command line stuff to reset the permissions on my mods folder. 

found it. this is what i had to do to my entire MO directory.

http://www.faqforge.com/windows/take-ownership-of-a-file-or-folder-by-command-in-windows/

from an administrator cmd.exe

takeown /f folder_name /r /d y
icacls folder_name /grant username_or_usergroup:F /t /q
takeown /f "C:\Games\Mod Organizer" /r /d y
icacls "C:\Games\Mod Organiser" /grant darkconsole:F /t /q

go to your little cortana search box on the start bar, type "cmd" then right click run as administraotr.

Thanks for the rapid responses.  I have full admin rights for everything and changed the ownership for MO, but still no joy.  I loaded a save and let it sit for 90 seconds and generated a 122 mb log.

I'm done fucking with this for one night.  If this is a matter of MO not being able to find files, I'll go back through everything with a fine-toothed comb tomorrow.

Thanks again for the assists.  Any ideas are welcome.

Thanks for the rapid responses.  I have full admin rights for everything and changed the ownership for MO, but still no joy.  I loaded a save and let it sit for 90 seconds and generated a 122 mb log.

I'm done fucking with this for one night.  If this is a matter of MO not being able to find files, I'll go back through everything with a fine-toothed comb tomorrow.

Thanks again for the assists.  Any ideas are welcome.

full admin rights isn't enough. try to open one of the mod scripts and edit it. if it bitches about saving (or opening), its the permissions still. this was very much a multi step process i had to do to correct mine after the upgrade.

Afaik only thing that can go extremely bad is ENB (you can Google solutions easily though they are not yet perfectly tuned)

Mods should not change.

While i am here may i ask if upgrading to win 10 from 8  while having steam, Nexus mod manager, mods and skyrim on another disk requires any manual operation after the update?

MO is portable. I moved my MO to the folder Games on the D:\ drive, which also has another subdirectory for downloaded mods.

If you move MO, you have to edit the ini files to reflect the actual path to the utils you configured earlier.

Skyrim / Steam is also not installed in Program Files, but in d:\Steam

No problems with permissions ever.

Still working on this.  I'm wavering between reinstalling the mods through MO, or just doing a fresh install of Skyrim altogether, since the current set-up is from when I had even less of an idea of what I was doing than I do now.  It was functional, though, until I upgraded.

I wondered if the temporary "Data" folder that MO creates might somehow be the weak link, but apparently it shouldn't be a problem.  Really, I'm at a loss.  I checked folder ownership, permissions, run-as-admin settings, and everything that I could think of.  I've even tried verbal threats, but the PC knows I sank too much into it to resort to physical violence.  It looks like some version of a reinstallation is my last option, unless someone from the ether has a better idea.

If/when I figure out what went wrong, I'll post a solution here for posterity. 

Windows 10 is not your problem. Skyrim runs fine under Windows 10 - if it didn't it would be a known issue by now.

Mod Organizer is not your problem. If it were, you couldn't run your game at all.

If it were magically forgetting only some files, you would have gotten the standard warning from Skyrim complaining about missing mods as soon as you loaded your first save game.

Yes, your log has a ton of errors, but what did your logs look like before the upgrade?

[08/25/2015 - 08:12:22PM] Cannot open store for class "SAM_QuestScript", missing file?

This isn't an error, or a missing file, it's SexlabCumshot (looks like an old version) checking to see if you have S.A.M. installed. You don't have SAM installed, you have SoS installed.

The XPMSE errors mean you may not have installed or configured your skeleton properly. Check the prerequisites, especially race menu or nioverride since it's complaining about that specifically. I remember there being something on that mod thread about rapidly growing log size, and the skeleton was updated. Make sure you're using version 3.13

Looks like a ton of on load errors from one of the addons for Estrus - you use the spider version I'm guessing and that's not compatible with the newer versions from what I've heard.

A ton of errors from SLNC - but those can be fixed by opening the Creature Framework MCM page and clicking on "Re-Register All Mods."

The slsw_scum are related to Skooma Whore - I was getting them when I upgraded to version 1 of that mod. What they're indicating I'm not sure, but I pulled that mod from my line-up because I never got those errors with 0.9 and it wasn't important enough to me to post about in the support forums.

Wet and Cold looks to be throwing errors as well. Never used that mod but I have heard people say that mod is very script heavy.

Estrus Charrus is complaining about something. As that's a well written and well-maintained mod, I'd ask in the thread if there's a problem and you want to keep using it. Double-check its MCM page to make sure you have the proper files installed for it.

There's a couple of other error messages I can't place the mods for, SOS_Grower is unhappy about something clearly. 

What in your game isn't working that was working before? If it's just the log size, double-check your skeleton version.

Archived