Mod Organizer and "mod sets"?

OneWhoSpeaks

Still isn't working, and I'm getting really tired of this. I was under the impression that MO was easier and better than NMM, but I can honestly say I don't believe that one bit. All these fancy functionalities and it still can't tell me why the game won't work. I have no idea what I can do from this point, everything's up to date, all conflicts resolved, latest version of skyrim installed, not missing any mods, ENB installed correctly. If you have any ideas as to what I can fail at fixing next, post away.

At this moment we can only guess. But SKyrim Modding is unpredictable sometimes anyway.

Just use the usual troubleshooting of disabling mods and seeing what mod it is.

MO is easier, but can bring a lot of trouble due how it works. But I think it is a problem of mods.

Post some mod lists, loadorder, what exacly fails (CTD,...)

MO really isn't harder to use than NMM is (as long as you understand that it's merely an external data folder).

New profiles and games can't start? That seems hard to believe. I can believe old saves may not want to work because manual/NMM mod installations break stuff in your game saves (especially if you ever remove any mods).

I found switching to MO a breeze. But after a long time manually installing mods then using OBMM, FOMM and NMM made it really easy to understand. I've never even heard of anyone having this hard of a time using MO so it seems it's something at your end. It must be.

At this point I'd try removing even your ENB. Just drag those files from the root directory to your desktop (for easy reinstallation later) and see if it will start. I've had them mess me up and force crashes before.

MO really isn't harder to use than NMM is (as long as you understand that it's merely an external data folder).

New profiles and games can't start? That seems hard to believe. I can believe old saves may not want to work because manual/NMM mod installations break stuff in your game saves (especially if you ever remove any mods).

I found switching to MO a breeze. But after a long time manually installing mods then using OBMM, FOMM and NMM made it really easy to understand. I've never even heard of anyone having this hard of a time using MO so it seems it's something at your end. It must be.

At this point I'd try removing even your ENB. Just drag those files from the root directory to your desktop (for easy reinstallation later) and see if it will start. I've had them mess me up and force crashes before.

I tried removing all the files from the root directory but for some reason the ENB info still shows up in-game, then after it crashes some of the files have re-appeared. I missed something didn't I?

Also, can not changing the things in SkyrimPrefs.ini for the ENB lead to CTD?

If you have the ENB's zipped archive you can extract it then use that to identify the bits you need to remove. And bad ini settings can cause issues.

I only ask because I just discovered that, after doing the clean install for the transfer, I must have forgotten to change it in the skyrim root folder. Perhaps that was the cause all along?

Yeah.  To do a true clean install of Skyrim, you need to do more than just tell Steam to remove it.  It's best to actually delete the directory left behind entirely before you boot it back up again, and reinstall all your utilities from scratch as well.  

The good news is that, with Mod Organizer, once you've done that to switch over to it that's the last time you need a true clean install, unless you go adding more manual mods.

Yeah.  To do a true clean install of Skyrim, you need to do more than just tell Steam to remove it.  It's best to actually delete the directory left behind entirely before you boot it back up again, and reinstall all your utilities from scratch as well.  

The good news is that, with Mod Organizer, once you've done that to switch over to it that's the last time you need a true clean install, unless you go adding more manual mods.

Funnily enough I ended up using both methods, since for some reason after reinstalling Skyrim through steam the root and data folders were the same as they had been before. I just wish I could figure out what's causing the issues now so I could get back to enjoying the game. At this point I'm about ready to give up on ever playing it again without restarting entirely, if I can even get to that point.

It could be Steam updating stuff that's causing the problem? Who knows? All I know is that you're having a harder time switching to MO than anyone I've ever heard of. So something funny is going on.

Who knows indeed? As in-depth a program as MO seems to be you would think there'd be some sort of mechanism that tells you "Hey idiot, this is a problem. Fix it." Nothing I hate worse than having a problem without even knowing why it's happening, let alone how to fix it. 

That said, I give up. Nothing I do works, I'm not getting error messages to look up/ask about so I literally have NO CLUE what to try and remedy. With college starting up and my search for a job progressing I don't really have time for this. My little modding adventure was fun while it lasted though :)

Thanks for all the help guys. Enjoy a little Skyrim for me eh?

You need to start with FRESH Skyrim. Which includes wiping the directories and the stuff found in appsdata and documents/my games. That stuff ALL has to go.

Then you have to stay far, far away from Steam Workshop and to never allow it to update stuff (it's a real PITA).

Install MO into the Skyrim root directory, load mods, set up a profile, run necessary executables and start the game with the SKSE launcher inside of MO.

PS: There IS a built in tutorial in MO. It's the HELP (question mark) in the top/right corner. :wink: MO also flags all potential issues for you to see what could be wrong.

You need to start with FRESH Skyrim. Which includes wiping the directories and the stuff found in appsdata and documents/my games. That stuff ALL has to go.

Then you have to stay far, far away from Steam Workshop and to never allow it to update stuff (it's a real PITA).

Install MO into the Skyrim root directory, load mods, set up a profile, run necessary executables and start the game with the SKSE launcher inside of MO.

PS: There IS a built in tutorial in MO. It's the HELP (question mark) in the top/right corner. :wink: MO also flags all potential issues for you to see what could be wrong.

That is a must (in green). I lost an entire Skyrim folder because I still had stuff referencing and doing stuff in that folder. Lots or problems until I cleaned that out then all has been fine since.

Archived