FNIS 6.0, the next step: Dynamic Animation Replacers [modder feedback requested]

fore

Fore this looks great, thank you as always. 

Just to clarify so I'm understanding correctly: I could have a few different animations loaded for 1hidle, 1handattack, 1handwalk. I could then use a script, ( think you used an onequip of a sword example) to specify when the sword is equipped to use a new animation for attacks, walking with weapon, and idle with the weapon which would last until the sword is unequipped?

I'm curious if this would do an effect like how AA does where different NPCs could have their own Idle stance, attack stances etc or if the script would make a global change to animation for every actor using it when you change the anim var. For example would only the actor equipping the sword gain the variance of the animation.

Also since it's effecting Skyrim vanilla animations the paths would have to all be standard set by you I'm assuming, I'm curious how you see it being interacted with, as it seems like you as the creator would have to generate the FNIS_Text and then people would add additional vanilla animation variants by overwriting them to the paths you specified?

The functionality I am trying to figure out is could I add a script to an Alias, or an invisible item they have on let's say to a custom follower and them be the only ones to use a certain animvar for their idle, walk, attack, sneak, sneakwalk etc. To give a custom NPC a unique animation palette. If this is possible when the mod was packed would it interfere with other people's mods using the same animvar for different designs?

Thank you Fore!

Fore this looks great, thank you as always. 

Just to clarify so I'm understanding correctly: I could have a few different animations loaded for 1hidle, 1handattack, 1handwalk. I could then use a script, ( think you used an onequip of a sword example) to specify when the sword is equipped to use a new animation for attacks, walking with weapon, and idle with the weapon which would last until the sword is unequipped?

I'm curious if this would do an effect like how AA does where different NPCs could have their own Idle stance, attack stances etc or if the script would make a global change to animation for every actor using it when you change the anim var. For example would only the actor equipping the sword gain the variance of the animation.

Also since it's effecting Skyrim vanilla animations the paths would have to all be standard set by you I'm assuming, I'm curious how you see it being interacted with, as it seems like you as the creator would have to generate the FNIS_Text and then people would add additional vanilla animation variants by overwriting them to the paths you specified?

The functionality I am trying to figure out is could I add a script to an Alias, or an invisible item they have on let's say to a custom follower and them be the only ones to use a certain animvar for their idle, walk, attack, sneak, sneakwalk etc. To give a custom NPC a unique animation palette. If this is possible when the mod was packed would it interfere with other people's mods using the same animvar for different designs?

Thank you Fore!

You're absolutely right. I should have been more clear about the interface Because its much more powerful than a simple "animation replacer".

You can assign different animations to every character. Because the selection is based on AnimVars, and AnimVars are assigned individually for characters.

Every mod can reserve up to 10 instances of each group, indexed from 0 to 9. You are right that there will be a function that returns a base value you have to add. Since there always can be more than one mod reserving for the same group.

Each mod has to use a 3 character abbreviation, and than the first alternate animation of an 1hm_idle.hkx for the mod with abbreviation tst will be named tst0_1hm_idle.hkx. and so on.

So to activate the second instance of the 1hmidle group will be something like

actor.SetAnimationVariableInt("FNISaa_1hmidle", 1 + FNIS.GetAABase("tst" , "1hmidle"))

But don't sue me on that interface. I still have to think about consequences. Probably I combine those 2 calls, and the "1hmidle" has to be passed as an integer constant.

There is one problem for NPCs I have to mention. AnimVars have one big disadvantage. They cannot be accessed when an NPC has no 3d, and their values are reset once 3d is re-gained. So modders have to be creative to make sure the AnimVar is properly set. Exact same reason why FNIS Sexy Move has these undesired Sexy Coins.

This sounds really great Fore. I'm looking forward to this very much as I'd love to give my custom followers a unique animation palette. The unique mod ID seems perfect as well. Thanks for clearing this all up for me. There would be a lot of other applications outside of custom followers as well with this to make Skyrim more detailed.

At a glance it seems it could also fix a problem with using rifles and pistols and their animations not always being appropriate since they all use crossbow or I guess potentially any new weapon types could be added if you still classified them as one of Skyrim's default and applied new animations appropriate. Basically FF14 style system where the weapon you equip would define a class and how they attack. It seems like it would be easy to have interactable items be equipped like weapons and be interacted with like a pipe or magic book, if you equipped it your character could idle with it and look through it while idleing if an animator wanted to get really fancy, a bard follower could walk around with a harp and do combat jams.

I see the problem I think you are talking about in that the AnimVar would work when it's first applied but would disconnect if the game unloaded the 3D of the model so it would need to be refreshed somehow, an onequip wouldn't do this but there seems to be ways to work around and fix this non the less. 

Awesome I'm very excited and looking forward to this! Thanks again.

Exactly for the setAlternateGroup, no for the Get. Because that's a simple GetAnimationVariableInt("<group_variable>").

But I don't think that trying to restore makes much sense. Imagine you have this AnimVar. Then the user saves his game and and decides to uninstall the other mod, or any other mod adding to the same group. Setting the AnimVar under these conditions would either access a non-existing or totally unrelated animation. Rather reset to the vanilla animations. And let modders think about mewthods to synchronize.

Right, I forgot you’ll be using AnimVars. You can use a GetAnimVarInt() and if you can get the mod that lastly changed the group animations, you can perform a Game.GetModByName(“name.esp”) != 255 in case it gets uninstalled. 

There is one problem for NPCs I have to mention. AnimVars have one big disadvantage. They cannot be accessed when an NPC has no 3d, and their values are reset once 3d is re-gained. So modders have to be creative to make sure the AnimVar is properly set. Exact same reason why FNIS Sexy Move has these undesired Sexy Coins.

That 3d is not loaded issue is a big problem for many cases. Maybe you can cast a cloak like area effect spell on player when an event like OnLocationChange(Location oldLoc, Location newLoc) is triggered. Another spell can be attached to it to those who gets contacted. 2nd spell can have a script magic effect which sets the AnimVars for the target actor. Good thing is you can also add conditions for all magic effects easily. That way, depending on the 1st spell’s range, you can set the animations for the actors near you, and 3d data for the actors near you should be loaded.

You can also cast the first area effect spell to other actors, so there can be a chain reaction for actors far away, for large interiors or exterior maps. 

Exact same reason why FNIS Sexy Move has these undesired Sexy Coins.

Haha, you should try my mod if you want see the really “undesired sexy coins” :)

• 1 month later...

I just uploaded FNIS 6.0 Beta1 and FNIS Sexy Move Beta1 (the first mod making use of Alternate Animations in the new form).

XPMSE will probably follow soon, but is incompatible right now.

As usual I'm asking for a few good man to test a little bit. To give me confidence that or if it is possible to make this a final release.

And of course I'm looking for animators and modders to make use of the new possibilities.

I just uploaded FNIS 6.0 Beta1 and FNIS Sexy Move Beta1 (the first mod making use of Alternate Animations in the new form).

As usual I'm asking for a few good man to test a little bit. To give me confidence that or if it is possible to make this a final release.

And of course I'm looking for animators and modders to make use of the new possibilities.

This is pretty exciting, I'm kind of worry about FO4 being released in about 1 month though, do you think people will abandon skyrim for FO4 modding?

I've been playing with the new framework to replace the animations of _mtidle _mt and _mtx with the crawling on all fours animations.

I've gotten it to work for everything except the idle and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong or if the framework is to blame. The idle animation stays as the normal standing idle animation.

In my FNIS list file I have the entry: AAset _mtidle 1

The idle file name is named "spw0_mt_idle.hkx"

The script uses the line FNIS_aa.SetAnimGroup(akActor, "_mtidle", my_mtidle_base, 0, "PetWalk")

It all works for _mt and _mtx, but _mtidle isn't getting replaced.

FNISGenerateForUsers is detecting the correct number of animation sets and replacement files.

On another less important note, when I activate the animation set change my camera zooms in.

Thanks, fore! Should I put the FNIS.esp higher or lower in my mod list?

The only thing FNIS.esp is made for is to run a script at load game time, to stores Alternate Animation settings and adjust variables between game saves.

No game objects, no constantly running scripts. Can be very low in load order.

If you don't activate FNIS.esp you will simply experience wrong animations once you install or uninstall mods using AA.

This is pretty exciting, I'm kind of worry about FO4 being released in about 1 month though, do you think people will abandon skyrim for FO4 modding?

I don't think so. I will not make anything with FO4, and I know other modders which don't .  

And at least it will take some time until everything is in place.  Not that I think I'm unreplacable. But I expect heavy differences in the external and internal behavior structures. So it's not that someone can take FNIS and make some slight adjustments. And also I haven't seen many people being willing to play the behavior mudcrab. :)

thanks for sharing, any compatibility problems with existing mods.

XPMSE 3.21 and older does not work with the new alternate animation method, XPMSE 3.29 is 3.21 with FNIS 6 support which does.

Great.  :)

XPMSE 3.21 and older does not work with the new alternate animation method, XPMSE 3.29 is 3.21 with FNIS 6 support which does.

Great.  :)

I did some changes mostly moving some folders and removing some debugs to your version, so I hope it does still work.

BTW is the prefix in FNIS6 for mods limited to 3 letters or can it be more?

I've been playing with the new framework to replace the animations of _mtidle _mt and _mtx with the crawling on all fours animations.

I've gotten it to work for everything except the idle and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong or if the framework is to blame. The idle animation stays as the normal standing idle animation.

In my FNIS list file I have the entry: AAset _mtidle 1

The idle file name is named "spw0_mt_idle.hkx"

The script uses the line FNIS_aa.SetAnimGroup(akActor, "_mtidle", my_mtidle_base, 0, "PetWalk")

It all works for _mt and _mtx, but _mtidle isn't getting replaced.

FNISGenerateForUsers is detecting the correct number of animation sets and replacement files.

On another less important note, when I activate the animation set change my camera zooms in.

You are experiencing the same problem why I never made an "Sexy Idle". For NPCs the mt_idle is not just one file, but a sequence of different postures. To make things less boring.

I will look into that one more time. Try to make something which switches off that NPC sequence. But I can't promise that this will be soon.

And can you describe exactly what and when the camera zooms. Keep in mind that the camera fies in under many conditions: moving, equipping, ..

I did some changes mostly moving some folders and removing some debugs to your version, so I hope it does still work.

BTW is the prefix in FNIS6 for mods limited to 3 letters or can it be more?

3 characters. Where do I draw the line otherwise.

It made things so much simpler to implement at different places

EDIT: A little more explanation before you think I'm teling you nonsense.

I have a "unusual" interface between the generator and papyrus, where the generator is modifying a pex file. And that cannot work with different string length.

great thanks for the advice, install "XP32 Maximum Skeleton Extended 3.29 for FNIS6 Beta.7z"

and FNIS Behavior V6_0 Beta 1

ran generate FNIS for users 2 warnings

>>Warning: Generator V6.0 Beta1 and FNISBase V5.5 have different versions<<
Reading FNISCreatureVersion V5.3 ...
>>Warning: AnimationList found in  "Animations\XPMSE", but no corresponding Behavior file. Incomplete mod IGNORED.<<

I assume these are harmless warnings.

now I'll have to wait patiently for modders to port over to the new Alternative Animation, omg any modders ported to AA yet?

p/s: just a slight concern the checkbox for racemenu is missing, guessing this is a pre-req therefore this was excluded from the available patches

great thanks for the advice, install "XP32 Maximum Skeleton Extended 3.29 for FNIS6 Beta.7z"

>>Warning: AnimationList found in  "Animations\XPMSE", but no corresponding Behavior file. Incomplete mod IGNORED.<<

now I'll have to wait patiently for modders to port over to the new Alternative Animation, omg any modders ported to AA yet?

p/s: just a slight concern the checkbox for racemenu is missing, guessing this is a pre-req therefore this was excluded from the available patches

Nah not harmless MO sucked at generating the file and I did not look.

Fixed version is up

Nah not harmless MO sucked at generating the file and I did not look.

Fixed version is up

thanks for the quick update, the warning msg ">>Warning: AnimationList found in  "Animations\XPMSE", but no corresponding Behavior file. Incomplete mod IGNORED.<<" is gone

only warning msg left is ">>Warning: Generator V6.0 Beta1 and FNISBase V5.5 have different versions<<" which fore is aware of (fore's reply on the nexus forum).

The first warning is harmless. I have already explained.

The second one is not. Because it will make Racemenu not being detected (sorry groovtama for not mentioning it - just generate with the modders' tool... unless Whizkid has made an installation mistake)

Yes, I have ported: FNIS Sexy Move 6.0

And the checkbox is missing, because Racemenu isn't a patch any more. It a regular FNIS dependent mod now.

EDIT: oh. always look at all messages in a thread befor starting to respond. Noob mistake on my part :)

The second one is not. Because it will make Racemenu not being detected (sorry groovtama for not mentioning it - just generate with the modders' tool... unless Whizkid has made an installation mistake)

And the checkbox is missing, because Racemenu isn't a patch any more. It a regular FNIS dependent mod now.

EDIT: oh. always look at all messages in a thread befor starting to respond. Noob mistake on my part :)

great thanks for that quick clarification.

Nah started the tool from MO and did not read the file not found message and subsequently forgot to copy it, because it was not there, I always forget that FNIS and MO don't like each other.

So my understanding is FNIS 6.0 will allow XPSME to not have to separate single and dual wield animations, correct? I downloaded XPSME 3.29, but it doesn't have that option - I assume it's not implemented yet?

That'S a question for grootama. Theoretically I don't think that FNIS needs that feature. XPMSE can distinguish between both, and provide 2 files under different variables.

Archived