FNIS 6.0, the next step: Dynamic Animation Replacers [modder feedback requested]

fore

UPDATE !!!  UPDATE !!!  UPDATE !!!  UPDATE !!!  UPDATE !!!  UPDATE !!!  

2015/10/09: FNIS Behavior 6.0 Beta 1 available (for MODDERS and EXPERIENCED USERS)
The first FNIS release that make Alternate Animations possible for 468 standard animation files. Dynamically during the game.
___________________________________________________________________________________

This is a heads-up. FNIS 6.0 will be available in September (2015).

See yourself. It's not a trick.

By simply setting Animation Variables in a script, this demo loops through 10 versions of 2 animation files: 1hm_attackright.hkx and 1hm_idle.hkx.

But you see other animations, like 2-handed or even Soolie's Spear animations, right? Because there aren't enough 1hm custom animations, I have used these other animations for demo purposes. Technically, the way they are used here they ARE 1-handed animations. And doesn't it show an extremly easy way to set up Soolie's Spears? WITHOUT the need of a custom race, PCEA replacementand the rest of it's complicated installation procedure.

Now these are only 2 alternated animations. FNIS 6.0 will support alternates for about 450: movement, equip (XPMSE2/Racemenu was only a forerunner), attack, sneak, magic, ....

In order to activate them these animations are sorted into 50 groups. Each group is controlled by an animation variable. If you change one of these AnimVars, you select a different version for each animation in this group. The groups include between 1 and 39 animations. Which, of course can add a lot of animation slots when you add several versions of just one magic animation. 

Here is a small excerpt of the list of supported animations. The group names start with an apostrophe.

'mtidle
male\mt_idle.hkx 200000002111900000
'1hmidle
1hm_idle.hkx 120000000000000001
sneak1hm_idle.hkx 010110000010000000
'2hmidle
2hm_idle.hkx 110000000000000000
'2hwidle
2hw_idle.hkx 110000000000000000
'bowidle
bow_idledrawn.hkx 011000000000000000
bow_idleheld.hkx 110000000000000010
sneakbow_idledrawn.hkx 010000000000000000
And here I have 2 questions for potential mod authors.
Please check the file Alternate_AnimationGroups.txt. It lists all Skyrim character animations. Animations above the "****" line will be supported, below the line will not.
  1. Does the animation selection make sense? Any missing animation files that you think should be supported as well?

2. Do the groups make sense? For example the magic group with its 39 animations is quite big. Does a split make sense? How?
A lively discussion is welcome. :)

This opens new amazing possibilities for the animations of SexLab.

Consider having an animation, let's say, a missionary. Some sub-variants can change a little the positions of the limbs of the actors (legsspread, legs up, head up, head down, etc.)

By a future version of SexLab (ar a similar framework) will be possible to alter the animation to behave slightly different every time, using random or pseudo-random conditioning to change the Animation Variable and then playing the sub-animations.

Nice job.

Do you think we need special "Groups" for the adult-oriented animations?

This opens new amazing possibilities for the animations of SexLab.

Consider having an animation, let's say, a missionary. Some sub-variants can change a little the positions of the limbs of the actors (legsspread, legs up, head up, head down, etc.)

By a future version of SexLab (ar a similar framework) will be possible to alter the animation to behave slightly different every time, using random or pseudo-random conditioning to change the Animation Variable and then playing the sub-animations.

Nice job.

Do you think we need special "Groups" for the adult-oriented animations?

This was only meant for standard animations, not for customs.

Custom animations can easily be exchanged by scripting. And especially more reliable. This new feature needs Animation Variables. But AnimVars only work well for the player, not for NPCs. As soon as the NPC "looses 3d", the AnimVar is lost/reset, and needs to be refreshed. Mods that use this feature for NPCs will have to be creative. Think at the stupid work-around "Sexy Coins" that I have used for FNIS Sexy Move.

these changes look really good. well done

You're a genius, Fore. Can't wait to see what modders do with this.

I think ill get dizzy with this and immersive first person 

10/10 would puke again. 

Thank y'all.

And I hope "puke" is meant friendly :)

This was only meant for standard animations, not for customs.

Custom animations can easily be exchanged by scripting. And especially more reliable. This new feature needs Animation Variables. But AnimVars only work well for the player, not for NPCs. As soon as the NPC "looses 3d", the AnimVar is lost/reset, and needs to be refreshed. Mods that use this feature for NPCs will have to be creative. Think at the stupid work-around "Sexy Coins" that I have used for FNIS Sexy Move.

OK, then I am going back to my scripts to send animations events to change the (custom) anims.

Thank you for your reply.

There was an altarnate animations feature introduced in FNIS 5.1(?). It was allawing you to change movement animations by using a script. What I understand is, that new addition for v6 is a large expansion of aa feature, since aa was just allowing forward walk/run/sprint animations as far as I know. Basically, now, you can change mostly used animations like combat, movement, sneak... in mid game without overwriting the vanilla hkx files everytime. This is a very good feature. Even the ability of changing the mt_idle animation is very useful to me. (I guess female\mt_idle is included too right?). 

1) I couldn't look for all supported animations, but it seems fair. Most used ones are already covered, other than some animations that doesn't bind to a keypress. I see no problem in that. But again, I just use "b" animations for everything (and b -Tn,a the one you hate :))

2) Grouping makes sense. Does that mean you can't change single animations? Let's say you want to change sneaking back animation, you can't do it without altering sneak forward and others? I assume you can add dummy/vanilla animations to the ones you don't want to change and run the script, but that means different modder animation within the same group won't overlap, right?

I have a question though, I'll try to explain it with an example.

Let's say default walking animation is called "D"

A user changed it with script with another animation called "A"

Another modder wants to use a specific walking animation just for a scene. Lets call it "B".

When 2nd modders scene starts, walking animation changes to "B". When the scene ends, 2nd mod ends the use of animation "B" for walking. Is there a way, so that the game can remember animation "A" and turn back to it without "D" is coming back, since "A" was users preffered animation in the first place?

Generally speaking, FNIS 6 sounds very useful to open new possibilities. Thanks. It must have cost you a lot of time to implement.

1hm_shout_Exhale.HKX
1hm_shout_Exhale_Long.HKX
1hm_shout_Exhale_Medium.HKX
1hm_shout_Inhale.HKX
mt_shout_Exhale.HKX
mt_shout_Exhale_Long.HKX
mt_shout_Exhale_Medium.HKX
mt_shout_Inhale.HKX
sneak1hm_shout_Exhale.HKX
sneak1hm_shout_Exhale_Long.HKX
sneak1hm_shout_Exhale_Medium.HKX
sneak1hm_shout_Inhale.HKX

as a shout replacer would be nice

dmagaimconcharge.hkx 000000000044000000
dmagaimconloop.hkx 100000000011000000
dmagaimrelease.hkx 000000000011000000
dmagpreaimcon.hkx 000000000011000000
dmagpreaimconcharge.hkx 000000000033000000
dmagpreselfcon.hkx 000000000022000000
dmagpreselfconcharge.hkx 000000000011000000
dmagselfconcharge.hkx 000000000022000000
dmagselfconloop.hkx 000000000022000000
dmagselfrelease.hkx 000000000011000000

as 'magcon maybe

magic_sprintforward.hkx 000000000000000100

also to 'magmt

bow_drawheavy.HKX

is a file I have but is missing in a list, if it is used by the game at all no clue.

Can't wait for it to be finished^^

as 'magcon maybe

also to 'magmt

bow_drawheavy.HKX

is a file I have but is missing in a list, if it is used by the game at all no clue.

I do all that.

magcon... stupid question: what does 'con' stand for?

bow_drawheavy.hkx... as fas as I remember one of those files which exist, but don't appear in the behavior files. And therefore never can be used. I used defaultmale.hkx, and that's the ultimate list you can have.

There is one BIG issue with our current weapequip I'm looking into, which also indicates trouble for 6.0. So I'm just using this platform to discuss it right away.

There is a user which apparently has uninstalled your XPMSE2 stuff. But the value of the (dagger) animvar is now burnt into the save. And the weapequip behavior structure which activates the now missing dagger equip animations always exists -> t-pose.

In 6.0 I can make the different animvars unavailable if they are not requested by a mod (weapequip will now be re-generated every time). But the same problem exists if there will be 2 mods that modify the same AnimVar, and the user uninstalls one of them: the old animvar will now possibly access a different animation.

I hope you don't get into too much trouble for the current situation. But for me this is a big shock right now. I have no solution, and without a solution it will be impossible to support 2 mods using the same group.  :o

as 'magcon maybe

also to 'magmt

bow_drawheavy.HKX

I do all that.

magcon... stupid question: what does 'con' stand for?

bow_drawheavy.hkx... as fas as I remember one of those files which exist, but don't appear in the behavior files. And therefore never can be used. I used defaultmale.hkx, and that's the ultimate list you can have.

There is one BIG issue with our current weapequip I'm looking into, which also indicates trouble for 6.0. So I'm just using this platform to discuss it right away.

There is a user which apparently has uninstalled your XPMSE2 stuff. But the value of the (dagger) animvar is now burnt into the save. And the weapequip behavior structure which activates the now missing dagger equip animations always exists -> t-pose.

In 6.0 I can make the different animvars unavailable if they are not requested by a mod (weapequip will now be re-generated every time). But the same problem exists if there will be 2 mods that modify the same AnimVar, and the user uninstalls one of them: the old animvar will now possibly access a different animation.

I hope you don't get into too much trouble for the current situation. But for me this is a big shock right now. I have no solution, and without a solution it will be impossible to support 2 mods using the same group.  :o

Con = concentration; the magic spells you can hold the button and it constantly does the concentration spell animation, like flames spell

The problem with the animvar was, I would liked to clean them like the nio data with OnCellDetach or OnUnload, the code was in there as you know, but the bug with can't find animvar, so both did not work, because the actor has to be is3dLoaded == true to be set. So defaulting back does not really work. The only possiblitty I see is to run an OnUpdate any second or so to test if isNearPlayer != true, and that also can result in not cleaning properly and to left over save game data after saving and reloading.

Con = concentration; the magic spells you can hold the button and it constantly does the concentration spell animation, like flames spell

The problem with the animvar was, I would liked to clean them like the nio data with OnCellDetach or OnUnload, the code was in there as you know, but the bug with can't find animvar, so both did not work, because the actor has to be is3dLoaded == true to be set. So defaulting back does not really work. The only possiblitty I see is to run an OnUpdate any second or so to test if isNearPlayer != true, and that also can result in not cleaning properly and to left over save game data after saving and reloading.

This is a different issue. 

When I leave racemenu, the ANimvars have certain values. When I save the game, these values are stored. 

Now the user uninstalls Racemenu. Or in 6.0 changes the mods that modify the same AnimVar. Then the loaded animvar doesn't match the current situation. It may select a different animation, or it may select an animation which doesn't exist any more. Because the corresponding mod was uninstalled.

When I leave racemenu, the ANimvars have certain values. When I save the game, these values are stored. 

Now the user uninstalls Racemenu. Or in 6.0 changes the mods that modify the same AnimVar. Then the loaded animvar doesn't match the current situation. It may select a different animation, or it may select an animation which doesn't exist any more. Because the corresponding mod was uninstalled.

There are two lists of requirements, one for rm users and one for ece/vanilla users.

If he uninstalls NiOverride completely yeah the node parent will not be relocated. That is why NiO is required for the vanilla users. And XPMSE works afterwards even without running the esp.

From my page

Uninstallation (completely):

- Go to a remote location with no human NPCs who are using XPMSE3 near you

- Unequip all your weapons

- (RaceMenu) Set all XPMSE related sliders in RaceMenu to default <- These two were not done on the uninstallation

- (Enchance Character Edit\Vanilla) Set all style options in the MCM menu to default <- because they reset the animvars

- Any data that is left in your savegame is needed for reinstallation and not harmful

- Remove XPMSE3 from your mod manager

Despite my current shock about this save/load issue I don't want forget the rest. I appreciate your questions. They allow me to explain some background.

There was an altarnate animations feature introduced in FNIS 5.1(?). It was allawing you to change movement animations by using a script. What I understand is, that new addition for v6 is a large expansion of aa feature, since aa was just allowing forward walk/run/sprint animations as far as I know. Basically, now, you can change mostly used animations like combat, movement, sneak... in mid game without overwriting the vanilla hkx files everytime. This is a very good feature. Even the ability of changing the mt_idle animation is very useful to me.  

It's the same idea, but different implementation. The way I did it for AA was very specific to each standard animations. And therefore a lot of effort. That's why I never continued with other animations, as I had promised. With the work for XPMSE2/racemenu I found a different solution which is much easier to implement.

And even more: this solution is so reproducible I was able to write a program which allows me to generate the necessary changes at abot 1200 places in the behaviors (each animation file is used at more than 2.5 places on average). Something I had never been able to do manually.

(I guess female\mt_idle is included too right?). 

No. These alternates will be unisex. But a mod which activates its animations always has the possibility to differentiate what it wants.

2) Grouping makes sense. Does that mean you can't change single animations? Let's say you want to change sneaking back animation, you can't do it without altering sneak forward and others? I assume you can add dummy/vanilla animations to the ones you don't want to change and run the script, but that means different modder animation within the same group won't overlap, right?

Every time such alternates are present, the appropriate behavior files are re-generated. During this process, FNIS will check, which of the necessary files are existing. If the mod doesn't provide some animations from that group (caused by author or user), the path to the animation will be set to the standard one. So no t-pose can occur.

Another modder wants to use a specific walking animation just for a scene. Lets call it "B".

When 2nd modders scene starts, walking animation changes to "B". When the scene ends, 2nd mod ends the use of animation "B" for walking. Is there a way, so that the game can remember animation "A" and turn back to it without "D" is coming back, since "A" was users preffered animation in the first place?

There is no "go back" to a previous animation. I never know when a mod ends the use of an animation. If FNIS should do something here, I had to require an special call by EACH mod. And that's impossible. That has to be done by the mods themselves. If you want to end one animation, then you set the corresponding AnimVar to 0. Or to a value that you have read prio to your change.

Generally speaking, FNIS 6 sounds very useful to open new possibilities. Thanks. It must have cost you a lot of time to implement.

Every behavior implementation costs a lot of time. That's the name of the game. :)

There are two lists of requirements, one for rm users and one for ece/vanilla users.

If he uninstalls NiOverride completely yeah the node parent will not be relocated. That is why NiO is required for the vanilla users. And XPMSE works afterwards even without running the esp.

From my page

- (RaceMenu) Set all XPMSE related sliders in RaceMenu to default <- These two were not done on the uninstallation

- (Enchance Character Edit\Vanilla) Set all style options in the MCM menu to default <- because they reset the animvars

- Any data that is left in your savegame is needed for reinstallation and not harmful

Wow. You HAVE foreseen this. "Legally" you are ok. Problem as usual: users don't read it (I haven't :facepalm:). And not every mod author will be as careful as you are.

Now they will end up in my thread :)

I have to find a solution...

This is amazing, I was just chatting with a friend the other day about Skyrim "stances" and this is essentially it!

Please check the file Alternate_AnimationGroups.txt. It lists all Skyrim character animations. Animations above the "****" line will be supported, below the line will not.
  2. Does the animation selection make sense? Any missing animation files that you think should be supported as well?

There are 'hidden' hand to hand animations in the vanilla BSA: Jab(left of course), Right Cross(right hand straight punch), and left and right body hooks.

You can see the files in the image below:

FX5WnLl.jpg

Will you be including these? If not, could you?

Personally, I've been running the jab and right cross as my left and right normal hand to hand as replacers for quite the long time, and they're solid.

This is amazing, I was just chatting with a friend the other day about Skyrim "stances" and this is essentially it!

Please check the file Alternate_AnimationGroups.txt. It lists all Skyrim character animations. Animations above the "****" line will be supported, below the line will not.
  2. Does the animation selection make sense? Any missing animation files that you think should be supported as well?

There are 'hidden' hand to hand animations in the vanilla BSA: Jab(left of course), Right Cross(right hand straight punch), and left and right body hooks.

You can see the files in the image below:

FX5WnLl.jpg

Will you be including these? If not, could you?

Personally, I've been running the jab and right cross as my left and right normal hand to hand as replacers for quite the long time, and they're solid.

No. Because they are not included in the behavior files, and therefore are "custom animations". And I only add alternate slots for standard animations.

But you use them as replacers, right? So someone could make a mod that adds them as alternates, and activate and deactivate them at appropriate times as dynamic replacers for the animations you have replaced now.

From my page

I have a solution which I think will also help you.

In order to calculate the values for the different animvars I was already planning a dirty trick: patch an existing pex file with the info which mod defines which groups.

When I have this info, I can store it with the save, and compare with the actual data on start. But I can also read the player's current animvars and correct them according to the current situation. I can also do this for all NPCs which are in the player's current sector. The NPCs without 3d don't need to be fixed. So the only characters which fall through this are NPCs still having 3d, but are outside the players sector. For those I certainly find a solution later.  

What I don't like about this is the FNIS.esp which now will be necessary just for this fix. But I don't see a solution without a run-time support.

hi Fore c:

um , me think me gonna need this. iis there will be some thorough documentation for non script maker ? me kinda weak in making codes :c

because of this fore's new system,  me already planned and atm making diffrent animation for the same weapon (same bones).

because before,  me have difficulties using normal bow system :c

9HzwMue.png

hi Fore c:

um , me think me gonna need this. iis there will be some thorough documentation for non script maker ? me kinda weak in making codes :c

because of this fore's new system,  me already planned and atm making diffrent animation for the same weapon (same bones).

because before,  me have difficulties using normal bow system :c

9HzwMue.png

There will be documentation, of course. But it will not work without a script.

But that scripting can be so easy. Especially in your case, where I assume you want to exchange the animations for yous with your gun. Simple as this. Add a script to your gun object with:

Event OnEquipped(Actor akActor)
   if akActor == Game.GetPlayer()
      ... set a few animation variables ... 
   endIf
endEvent

and similar for OnUnequipped(). That's so simple, even a script noob will understand. :)

(I guess female\mt_idle is included too right?). 

No. These alternates will be unisex. But a mod which activates its animations always has the possibility to differentiate what it wants.

Yeah, you can always do a gender check. What I meant was whether you can also alter the female idle animations. I guess it was a silly question.

There is no "go back" to a previous animation. I never know when a mod ends the use of an animation. If FNIS should do something here, I had to require an special call by EACH mod. And that's impossible. That has to be done by the mods themselves. If you want to end one animation, then you set the corresponding AnimVar to 0. Or to a value that you have read prio to your change.

I guess, the calling global function will be something like FNIS.SetAltarnateAnimationGroup(actor akActor, String GroupType, String Mod, String AnimationGroupName, …)

Can you also add a function like GetCurrentAltarnateAnimation(string GroupType), which returns the currently alternated animations for the desired group and the mod that adds them? So we can call this function before altering any animation group and restore it later on. I’m not a scripting expert, so if it sounds noobish, I’m sorry :)

What I don't like about this is the FNIS.esp which now will be necessary just for this fix. But I don't see a solution without a run-time support.

Ha, FNIS will be a Mod afterall :)

Forgive me my ignorance, but what new possibilities does it open exactly? Alternative movement, like FNIS sexy move, would be easier to implement I suppose (or wait, it is implemented already?). Alternative, script controlled, combat animations? Alternative sneaking stance? Did you have anything else in mind? I guess i could change every single STATE to alternative one, using a single animVar condition or not?

Also, does it affect furnitures in any way?

Yeah, you can always do a gender check. What I meant was whether you can also alter the female idle animations. I guess it was a silly question.

The "male" folder is what you generally find in the behaviors, if it is gender specific. But that doesn't really matter. The defaultfemale.hkx determines from where the female animations are taken. Even when the behaviors don't show the "male" folder for an animation.

I guess, the calling global function will be something like FNIS.SetAltarnateAnimationGroup(actor akActor, String GroupType, String Mod, String AnimationGroupName, …)

Can you also add a function like GetCurrentAltarnateAnimation(string GroupType), which returns the currently alternated animations for the desired group and the mod that adds them? So we can call this function before altering any animation group and restore it later on. I’m not a scripting expert, so if it sounds noobish, I’m sorry  :)

Exactly for the setAlternateGroup, no for the Get. Because that's a simple GetAnimationVariableInt("<group_variable>").

But I don't think that trying to restore makes much sense. Imagine you have this AnimVar. Then the user saves his game and and decides to uninstall the other mod, or any other mod adding to the same group. Setting the AnimVar under these conditions would either access a non-existing or totally unrelated animation. Rather reset to the vanilla animations. And let modders think about mewthods to synchronize.

Ha, FNIS will be a Mod afterall  :)

Yes, I'm afraid. :)

Forgive me my ignorance, but what new possibilities does it open exactly? Alternative movement, like FNIS sexy move, would be easier to implement I suppose (or wait, it is implemented already?). Alternative, script controlled, combat animations? Alternative sneaking stance? Did you have anything else in mind? I guess i could change every single STATE to alternative one, using a single animVar condition or not?

Also, does it affect furnitures in any way?

6.0 is superior compared to what I did for Sexy Move. So that will be replaced.

My main target was combat. You know Soolie's Spears. You know how difficult that is to install? How frustrated noob users are? With FNIS 6.0 it's totally easy. 

But all others, like standing idles, will alow so much variety. Or equip animations (where you already have a preliminary version integrated intpo XPMSE2/Racemenu. One equip for every weapon placement. There is a great area of operation.

The state will not be changed. Only the animation which is played in this state.

But furniture and paired animations and killmoves I do not include. Why should I introduce a second way to use them? They are already implemented in FNIS, and in a much more flexible way.

Archived