The mod does have a configurable maximum limit on stagger in a short time period, so the stun lock can be disabled if you feel it clashes with balance.

That said, since poise only lowers on unblocked hits, smart defensive play should keep you out of any situations where multiple enemies are sticking their pointy bits in your belly.

Within limits, of course. I don't think anything'll save you if you get into a situation like I did with ASIS in Dustman's Cairn, turning the last encounter with Silver Hand foes into a giant draugr/bandit battle royale, and the final room into a wave of undead lifted straight out of a zombie apocalypse.

Which is why I mention mods that up the difficulty scale or the number of enemies, if you ever tried OBIS with some mod that adds stagger on hit you would know that being stun locked by 3 enemies is barely survivable, any more and it is a death sentence. It is why the poise system concerns me and if its balanced for the DS experience or for Skyrim, where you have to fight more than 2 enemies at once. 

Yeah, well. I'm sure this mod doesn't get along well with a few other mods, as I mentioned. That being said, a mod author can only do so much about balance because depending on what mods you use or don't use, the balance goes to hell. But you can disable any feature of this mod, Dried Fingers explained it earlier in this thread.

If you ever tried OBIS with some mod that adds stagger on hit you would know that being stun locked by 3 enemies is barely survivable,

You know, you could've just equip light armors or go commando. So you could break out from all off those staggers with fast rolls and continue doing the usual panic roll routine that we always do in DS.

Or how about you fus ro dah dem bitches and spam your range attacks?

Or just disable the poise system. Up to you.

Might contact evan or 1001001 for their backroll animations; it's the only one that looks like it breaks momentum and motion, the rest are pretty damn smooth.

parry spam

The animation occurring without a contact/hit event could cause stamina drain, but that will add yet another level of polling on top of other polling

easy

In vanilla terms sure, with ComEvo and UltCom also installed, not so much; especially if you also have ASIS or RotE, the likelihood of heavy armor character getting boned during draugr or skeleton spam is actually pretty high.

unblocked

unarmed pawnchfists is a legit playthrough style.

Which is why I mention mods that up the difficulty scale or the number of enemies, if you ever tried OBIS with some mod that adds stagger on hit you would know that being stun locked by 3 enemies is barely survivable, any more and it is a death sentence. It is why the poise system concerns me and if its balanced for the DS experience or for Skyrim, where you have to fight more than 2 enemies at once.

Yeah, I guess the stagger system could be problematic in situations with too many enemies, but as far as I'm concerned, the dodge roll, which seems like a huge part of this, offers INCREASED mobility, so if anything it would make things easier especially with huge groups of enemies. And yeah, there are sections in the souls series where you face a buttload of enemies at a time and while you can easily get staggered repeatedly, you can also still survive if resourceful. I think it'd be similar here. I just think it's pretty cool. I'm playing scores of other games right now, including getting ready to play Oblivion for the first time, so I'll be eager to come back to this and see how well it's developed. :)

Just a quick question: does anyone know if there is a good lock-on mod? There's one for Oblivion that I kinda tried out and found lacking, so I wanted to see, since lock on is critical to Souls games. Maybe it's in this mod and I just missed it?

P.s. I played about half of Dark Souls 1 without using lockon because I didn't think it would be very helpful anyway. Boy was I wrong. ;)

P.s. I played about half of Dark Souls 1 without using lockon because I didn't think it would be very helpful anyway. Boy was I wrong. ;)

We had completely different experiences then. I found lock-on was great for small crowds of large guys that I needed to circle strafe, but it was massively crippling in large mobs and was an absolute death wish in Sen's Fortress, Anor Londo and beyond.

We had completely different experiences then. I found lock-on was great for small crowds of large guys that I needed to circle strafe, but it was massively crippling in large mobs and was an absolute death wish in Sen's Fortress, Anor Londo and beyond.
Hahaha, well, to be fair, if I was in a large group, it was mostly used for frontal assaults, like hitting the most centralized guy with a greatsword so I hit most everyone else too. Then it also comes in handy for ensuring your block is perfectly aligned with the enemy who is striking. I also think I almost always had some sort of magic late game in all my playthroughs, whether pyromancy or sorcery. So lockon is ALWAYS helpful with that lol.

Hahaha, well, to be fair, if I was in a large group, it was mostly used for frontal assaults, like hitting the most centralized guy with a greatsword so I hit most everyone else too. Then it also comes in handy for ensuring your block is perfectly aligned with the enemy who is striking. I also think I almost always had some sort of magic late game in all my playthroughs, whether pyromancy or sorcery. So lockon is ALWAYS helpful with that lol.

For magic, lock-on was indispensable, too bad my first build was Giant Dad, and my second build was inspired by Zso Sahaal (bonus nerd rep if you know who this guy is).

@Lucky7: That is a good question. Consider the design philosophies of Dark Souls 2, where there were similar mechanics asin Dark Souls 1 but a key difference was the number of enemies tackled at a given time; Dark Souls 2 was notorious for a lot of multiple-enemy encounters. However, in my opinion, this is poor design. But is this not the same as the situation that my mod has set up? Well, in a sense, I think that this is where the parry mechanism really shines. It is moderately easier to land a parry (compared ot in the Souls game) and in this way, with the invincibility a riposte affords, that almost acts like a crowd control mechanism. Also, poise and the rolling mechanic, which are very interconnected in this mod, can play a role as well. With higher poise, and high poise-damaging weapons (heavy weapons; poise damage is based on the weapon weight), resisting staggers and causing staggers can be quite effective for crowd control. With lower poise, the ability to escape from staggers can also be very useful, and given that NPCs cannot roll, this places the player at a sufficient advantage, I think.

@aareyn: You cannot roll while not in a combat stance.

@27X: It's all in your head. That's really just a rotated forward roll... they're all the same. Kind of like looking a people from different angles; some are more flattering than others.

@Torcha9: Try this: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/33791/

Would it be possible to attach sound effects to the rolls? Make the character emit the sprinting panting sounds, or a typical sound of shuffling across the ground? It feels odd being completely silent as you roll.

@Lucky7: That is a good question. Consider the design philosophies of Dark Souls 2, where there were similar mechanics asin Dark Souls 1 but a key difference was the number of enemies tackled at a given time; Dark Souls 2 was notorious for a lot of multiple-enemy encounters. However, in my opinion, this is poor design. But is this not the same as the situation that my mod has set up? Well, in a sense, I think that this is where the parry mechanism really shines. It is moderately easier to land a parry (compared ot in the Souls game) and in this way, with the invincibility a riposte affords, that almost acts like a crowd control mechanism. Also, poise and the rolling mechanic, which are very interconnected in this mod, can play a role as well. With higher poise, and high poise-damaging weapons (heavy weapons; poise damage is based on the weapon weight), resisting staggers and causing staggers can be quite effective for crowd control. With lower poise, the ability to escape from staggers can also be very useful, and given that NPCs cannot roll, this places the player at a sufficient advantage, I think.

@aareyn: You cannot roll while not in a combat stance.

@27X: It's all in your head. That's really just a rotated forward roll... they're all the same. Kind of like looking a people from different angles; some are more flattering than others.

@Torcha9: Try this: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/33791/

I realize it's the same roll, I'm simply stating you could add a separate backroll that is an actual backward momentum animation instead of mirrored, ala the two authors I mentioned.

@Mud: You absolutely can. After you've installed the mod, check Data\Sound\fx\BB_DSC for more info.

@27X: I tried contacting 001001001 about his animations a while ago, but he's on hiatus or something, which is why I was forced to edit my own. Can you link me evan's work?

@Snares: With regards to what Grimy_Bunyip posted, I'll relate my mods to that. With regards to the poise component, updates occur based on the MCM setting, but the default is 3 seconds. With that in mind, the functions called on each update are not large in number and they are relatively simple. The load comes on a hit: many checks need to be done. And I won't sugar coat it, there's a lot. But then again, the delay between a hit and a stagger is not a lot... so... take from that what you will. The effect is added via a cloak, which is the standard practice. Of course, this comes with error messages in your Papyrus log when things don't go perfectly as expected, but that's a minimal performance impact, more annoying if you read your logs than anything. Now, I started Poise System off with permanent magic effects for this, like DUEL as described in the post. However, I found that it generated fewer errors and was generally cleaner if I used temporary Fire and Forget spells, so that's what we have here now. The poise component really is the brunt of it. The other features are relatively less intense in terms of the number of functions called, have no update events involved and so occur at varying intervals of low frequency in regular gameplay. In sum, one script attached to each actor, but it is a big one as I said, and a very short-lived one on a backstab or riposte.

Thanks for pointing this out! I figured it existed... ;) Anyway, that mod led to this video, which looks pretty cool and the combat dodge seems to rely on...TK Dodge...which I just recalled.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/videos/4015/?

Lol, I'm sure you were aware of that mod and it looks rather good in the video. Is yours mainly different from his due to the stats, such as length of invincibility frames and variability in speed due to weight?

Also, just a quick extra q, does the roll/stagger get affected ONLY by the armor your character is currently wearing? I know that's how Dark Souls does it do to the unlimited inventroy, but Skyrim is much different. If so, this could really be a nice balance for people who use combat sex mods to strip away armor. After getting dominated, you could roll away to freedom a lot easier lol. Or if you engage in consensual with Lydia and realize she's hardly worth your time so you roll away silently while she sleeps and then don your armor yet again to resume your adventures unburdened. ;)

The differences lie in DSC's weight classes (resulting in different roll speeds and invincibility time) and the appearances (rolls vs dodges). Also, the ability to break out of staggers.

Roll weight and poise are affected only by the weight of equipped armor. So, I suppose that suits those situations nicely! XD

Here's the sound effects for all three rolls and parry land from DS1, with what should be a proper file structure. Doesn't include backstab sound.

https://mega.co.nz/#!LwBFlZaI!5Gg6IuCO4xWW4pBQUDdB1KSw6XH-H_lrHO_w3pCeNr4

Haven't properly tested the mod yet, but it sure looks promising!

EDIT: replaced the parry sound with a better version, put up a new download (and deleted the old).

In ideal low-script situations, the rolls come out near instantly in my testing. Even in more intense situations, typical of combat, they seemed to average for me at around 100-200ms after the key release. If you're not equipping magic, I'm a bit surprised because I used a fairly quick method to validate when the player should be able to roll. But if you are using magic, then, there can be quite a lot of conditions to check, but 300-500ms after the button release still isn't typical...

Are you saying that NPCs are parrying you even though you're not in the middle of an attack? If so... that's concerning, I'll have to take another look, though I was fairly confident I had tested it thoroughly. Now, it's worth mention that NPCs actually have a smaller parry window than the player, so it's harder for them to parry you. Are you concerned with the downed/bleedout animation used to signal a successful parry? It can last up to 3 seconds, but being in that stance should only last until you get hit (at which point, you either get crit'ed or you just immediately get up, depending on the angle of attack). If you could clarify that point for me.

Yeah, I know what you're talking about. The code is fine, I assure you, it's just a matter of the animation engine not doing what it's told to do, and this is something that upsets me a lot and it upsets me even more that I couldn't do anything about it no matter what I tried. The only way to get out of that scenario is to roll again, or enter first person and re-ready your weapons. It's extremely annoying, and it can mean the death of you, and so I know these animation glitches are a definite detriment to the mod.

Poise damage is based on the weight of a weapon. A dagger likely will not be doing much poise damage. And note that, by default, every three seconds a target (or the player) isn't hit, 20 poise is recovered.

Oh... hahaha... yeah. In DkS, some enemies during combat will go into a special "parry" stance. Then you know that if you try to attack them, you're just asking to get killed. Playing with this mod installed, it makes me fearful of enemies with a shield up, and I think that's interesting. btw, you could decrease the multiplier on riposte damage in the MCM.

It's too bad that it's a bit to intensive for your mod setup right now. I know that some mods that are script intensive end up just generally slowing your game down, but it's kind of worse with a mod like this one where the slowdowns seem to occur at the critical moments.

That would absolutely be possible for the ripostes against NPCs. If you'd like to talk more about this, if you have questions about how they are used in this mod, PM me.

And, yes, there are specifically chosen animations, not random.

Thats awesome, I currently cant use my main rig (posting from laptop), hence why I havent tried the mod yet myself.

But I'll let you know as soon as I can take a look at it :)

Maybe a suggestion, replace the shield bash parry with a timed block parry? I really like this mod because it makes fighting enemies that are way stronger than you actually possible instead of them just being a gear/stat check but like I said, spamming the bash is somewhat too safe. I believe there are several mods that do timed block, Skyrim redone being one of them.

I think someone already mentioned combining this with a combat overhaul (combat evolved maybe?), but I was wondering if anyone has tested it alongside the action combat mod. It seems to emulate some DS style mechanics as well, such as counter damage, and even has its own poise system. I guess this mod's poise system could be disabled in the MCM to avoid conflicts?