Fallout without guns?

Suludi

So I'm thinking about trying out Fallout 3 (haven't played any of the Fallout series so far). But I hate guns. Is there a mod that replaces all guns with bows and swords? I know it's a silly question but there are so many mods out there... is it even feasible?

The only way to know for sure is google, however knowing the game rather well myself, such mods would just add swords and unless you are very carefull you will not last long being purely melee in the capital wasteland

also if you find a mod that adds bows and proper animations please share the location, i've been looking for the past several years

Loved Fallout1/2. Couldn't get into 3 (strange). You could beat the first one without any combat kills. There's only one point in F3 that you're required to use a 'gun'. You can get by with melee. Or is it you're looking to have guns removed completely?

Is there a mod that replaces all guns with bows and swords?

Never heard of an overhaul mod like that. If you really want swords and bows, I think the best deal would still be going back to TES world, than remove every gun from Fallout. But you can still play as someone who decided to not use guns - Andale was one of my first goals, so that I could take the crossbow over the fridge...

I already played Morrowind and Oblivion and just wanted to see Fallout for myself. Ok, so I guess it's a One-in-all package and I won't be able to get rid of the guns. But I may still try it. Thanks for your replies!

Guest endgameaddiction

I wouldn't recommend Fallout if you don't like guns. The Fallout series are RPG/Shooter style games and guns play a big role in these games. That and you may regret buying it. I've seen my share of TES players jumping to the Fallout franchise only to put it to the side and never touch it again. Not all of them but most of them.

If you want to get into Fallout, get into it for what it is or you will end up not liking the game at all.

Guest endgameaddiction

Well, they are not bad games. I'm just saying if guns isn't your thing, odds are you probably won't like it. Only reason why I like Skyrim is because I do like medieval style games as well. Though, I prefer the post-apocalypse style games since Fallout 3, but I've had my share playing fantasy/medieval.

I'm not fond for much guns myself. I would prefer Fallout be more melee weapon driven than guns because to me, guns are overrated in the Fallout world. They should be rare and ammo should be even more rare. People should rely more on melee while government factions like should be carrying most of the fire power.

I'm not trying to discourage you. You may like the game with guns. But guns do play a major factor in Fallout.

As a player, you can just go with crossbow, and maybe bow (if you can find a mod for it for Fallout 3). I know of two weapon overhaul mods that have crossbows, but they are both the same. There isn't really any variations. Ammo for them are very hard to come by.

Also, I'm not a fan of shooter style games myself. I've played them here and there in the past, but Fallout is the only exceptional game I can tolerate it. But it's because I'm just a fan of post-apocalypse theme and Fallout 3 settled in on me.

• 4 weeks later...

Oh. I thought it was somewhat skyrimy - if it's more a shooter than anything else, I don't want to play it. Thanks for the warning!

Actually, both Fallout 3 and New Vegas are more of a roleplaying game than any TES title ever was. Unlike their predecessors, these are action rpg, so a certain amount of shooting things dead might be impossible to avoid. But the roleplaying is strong with them, especially new Vegas.

I'm pretty sure there aren't any mods that do this, but I don't see any reason it can't be done, in fact it wouldn't even be that hard, just kinda tedious.

There are no bows for Fallout 3 because there are no animations for it, as far as I've seen anyway, but there are crossbow mods. If you could collect a decent variety of crossbows and melee weapons, you can replace all the guns with them by just going into the geck and altering the stats of the guns one at a time. In fact I could probably do it if nobody else will. I can even make melee weapons if you have anything specific in mind.

Actually there is a mod that adds crossbows to the game. 

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/47798/?

Now mind you this is not an overhaul. It just adds one weapon. 

That being said, I share the opinion that someone that hates using guns in the game really has no business playing the fallout games. Now there is a compromise, there are plenty of melee weapons in the game and I'm sure there are plenty of mods that will add new melee weapons as well. You will encounter enemies that will engage you on hand to hand combat but the majority will be shooting at you. Actually it would be a neat challenge to try and play the game using only melee weapons but you will be sorely disadvantaged. You have 8 hot bar slots so you can equip plenty of melee weapons but you really should keep one high powered gun on you in case of emergencies. Fighting a deathclaw hand to hand is near suicidal so that would be a case where having something like a light machine gun with armor piercing rounds or a rocket launcher would be a good idea.

The fallout games really are fun especially when you have mods that increase spawn rates for enemies and creatures. Tale of Two Wastelands is a great mod that combines Faollout 3 with New Vegas. Personally I would highly recommend starting with that for maximum immersion. Granted you must own both fallout games and I believe all the expansions for them as well so it does require you to commit to both game to play that mod. 

I suggest you play the fallout 3/NV. It doesn't have to be a first person shooter with VATS. A system that stops time and the computer auto shoots your programmed commands.

Fallout 3 has a really great environment, while the story is forced and semi linear which sucks for this type of game, it is flavorful. NV has less flavor but is completely open world. Fallout in general is dark and funny, which might seem weird to sum but it really works.

I tend to play young charismatic female characters who rely on others to do her damage for her. She uses lasers and plasma pistols since they don't have recoil. I do use Sexout Mods, but I never play a slut or willing prostitute myself. Every now and then there is a sexlab updated quest that makes sense for my character to have sex but it is rare.

I recommend A Tale of Two Wastelands and play both games as the same character. Just need to be careful you are not running addons that will mess things up.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived