I'm A CK Noob! Need help Making A Moderately Complex Follower.

Subject2Host

I found a follower tutorial recently here on loverslab, and so far it's been very helpful. There were a few details it left out here and there, but I've been able to figure out most of it.

Now, I'm stuck on a dialogue issue. You know that really epic follower mod, Inigo? The one that pairs quite well with SOS No-underwear?

:P

Well if you don't, I'll explain its relation to this anyways. Upon initially finding and talking to Inigo, there is dialogue that plays ONLY for that first conversation, and at the end of it, he is automatically recruited. It's basically introductions with the follower.

In my case, I'd actually hope to include a short quest to help my follower before officially recruiting as well. That can wait till later though. Especially since that's not included in my tutorial, so I'm clueless.

So, here's where my current problem is. I can't compile the scripts that turn the follower from acquaintance to ally. It just doesn't seem to be working. And yes, I'm positive CK is running correctly right now. I verified it in Steam just yesterday to be sure. The tutorial said to write a semicolon in the "End" box where you go to make the script for that initial conversation. Then I was supposed to click Ok to let it run before opening it again to finish up. Something about making a placeholder. Needless to say, it didn't work.

At this point, I have most everything set up that is required for this script to work right (I hope). The follower is set to acquaintance, the dialogue branch for the intro is done, with conditions too. I just need that stupid script.

Mod Description:

​Currently, there isn't much depth to this mod, but I plan to add in LOTS of depth in the future. My follower is a female twohanded warrior named Katherine. White, but a little tan. She's found in Bleakfalls Barrow kneeling beside the first dead bandit, as though preparing to take on the other two further in the ruin. That's about it so far.

Finished Projects:

-Basic attributes, combat AI, inventory.

Current Project:

-First-time dialogue quest. Need help with script to change from acquaintance to ally.

Future Plans:

-Add Facepaint overlay. (The tutorial excluded how to do this.)

-Add Quest following initial dialogue quest to fight with her through Bleakfalls before she officially becomes your ally.(100% no idea how to do this. NEED HELP!)

-Add various sets of dialogue for after she becomes your follower. I plan to link several of these to Sexlab. I may or may not need help with this. There is help with it in the tutorial,                           but I haven't gotten there yet, and I don't think the instructions are optimized to do exactly what I'm looking for.

-May eventually want to add improvements to AI, inventory, etc. She seemed a tad oblivious in combat at some moments.

About your request:

-First-time dialogue quest. Need help with script to change from acquaintance to ally.

Just decide WHEN this will apply (for example inside a dialogue), and then just wrote something like:

yourNPC.SetRelationshipRank(PlayerRef, 3) ; 3 is Ally

Here the full list of possible relationship values:

4: Lover
3: Ally
2: Confidant
1: Friend
0: Acquaintance
-1: Rival
-2: Foe
-3: Enemy
-4: Archnemesis

Hello.

If compiling a basic script (with just a semicolon inside) does not work, then probably the Scripts folder is empty.

Follow this post: How to solve compile problems after CK update from Steam

Ugh...I've actually done that before in order to compile scripts to add more actors to sexlab, and those nearly ruined my game. Is there any other way to fix the issue?

Wait!

This part should NOT have any impact on your game.

The scripts are just zipped in a rar file and you should expand them if you want to use CK and compile scripts.

Just be aware that you have to first get them from Scripts.rar file, and then overwrite all scripts provided by SKSE.

There is NO other fix to compile. You need the sources.

Hello.

If compiling a basic script (with just a semicolon inside) does not work, then probably the Scripts folder is empty.

Follow this post: How to solve compile problems after CK update from Steam

Ugh...I've actually done that before in order to compile scripts to add more actors to sexlab, and those nearly ruined my game. Is there any other way to fix the issue?

Wait!

This part should NOT have any impact on your game.

The scripts are just zipped in a rar file and you should expand them if you want to use CK and compile scripts.

Just be aware that you have to first get them from Scripts.rar file, and then overwrite all scripts provided by SKSE.

There is NO other fix to compile. You need the sources.

Ok, you know what, I'll rephrase what I said. I THINK it nearly ruined my game. I didn't test it. Back when I did the same thing you're wanting me to do, the scripts compiled correctly, so the scripts fixed the issue. However, soon after though, I tried running LOOT, and I got the longest list of errors I'd ever seen.

:D

Maybe the LOOT errors were from somewhere else.

If you have again the same problem, just post your errors/warnings.

Nope. I'm 100% sure it was caused by those scripts. Loot would generally point out a few dirty files. I've avoided cleaning them for the sake of not taking any chances in breaking the game. Suddenly, after following all the steps, there's hundreds, maybe thousands of errors, dirty files, etc. And these errors were showing up on almost every mod in my loadorder. 

What I imagine I'm gonna need to do is make a backup of my scripts and just switch back and forth between the untampered and changed scripts every time I want to create or change scripts in CK.

Maybe the LOOT errors were from somewhere else.

If you have again the same problem, just post your errors/warnings.

Nope. I'm 100% sure it was caused by those scripts. Loot would generally point out a few dirty files. I've avoided cleaning them for the sake of not taking any chances in breaking the game. Suddenly, after following all the steps, there's hundreds, maybe thousands of errors, dirty files, etc. And these errors were showing up on almost every mod in my loadorder. 

What I imagine I'm gonna need to do is make a backup of my scripts and just switch back and forth between the untampered and changed scripts every time I want to create or change scripts in CK.

That's odd, because that's exactly what I did (and everyone had to do with the latest Beth update), and it works fine - that is, LOOT works fine with the scripts. LOOT, afaik, doesn't look at anything other than .esp and .esm files, so even if there are bad script sources somewhere it shouldn't cause problems.

The backup-and-switch idea should work, but even if it does I'd say it's just a bandaid on a serious problem involving LOOT. Did you try to reinstall LOOT?

Like CPU said, could you post your errors, like a screenshot of the LOOT page or something?

That's odd, because that's exactly what I did (and everyone had to do with the latest Beth update), and it works fine - that is, LOOT works fine with the scripts. LOOT, afaik, doesn't look at anything other than .esp and .esm files, so even if there are bad script sources somewhere it shouldn't cause problems.

The backup-and-switch idea should work, but even if it does I'd say it's just a bandaid on a serious problem involving LOOT. Did you try to reinstall LOOT?

Like CPU said, could you post your errors, like a screenshot of the LOOT page or something?

Loot is fine. It always has worked fine, up until I added those scripts. I'll see if I can quick get some screenshots. I'm trying to work on something else at the moment.

Oh, come on! WHY?!

XD

No errors this time! WTF!

Oh, that's just Skyrim... playing with your mind.

I did do it a slight bit different this time, but honestly, it shouldn't have affected the outcome. I skipped that step with skse being reinstalled. I'm just adding files after all. It's not like they affect skse.

Anyways, I tried it out with ck, and it seems to be working fine now. Hopefully I'll be able to finish up the last few steps in CPU's tutorial without issue. Moving on.

So...how does one add an actual quest to this whole thing? I want to make it so you can't truly recruit Katherine until you clear Bleakfalls barrow with her. Probably have it considered clear after you get the dragonstone tablet. I also need to know how to tie dialogue to sexlab anims.

Hello.

First of all a "Quest" is just a container for something.

Inside you can have:

* Dialogues (to speak with NPC, and execute actions)

* Aliases (to force somebody to do something specific)

* Scenes (to make NPCs to play some set of actions and dialogues)

* Stages & Objectives (this is for "user quests" that will be listed in the player Journal

* Scripts (to contain the main scripts of your mod.)

Before starting to implement a quest, my advice is to write a small "history"/"sotryboard" on paper (also electronic paper), just to have in mind what you want to do.

Then start to build it step by step.

I can give you a hand if you need help creating quests, scenes, packages, dialogues, etc.

Hello.

First of all a "Quest" is just a container for something.

Inside you can have:

* Dialogues (to speak with NPC, and execute actions)

* Aliases (to force somebody to do something specific)

* Scenes (to make NPCs to play some set of actions and dialogues)

* Stages & Objectives (this is for "user quests" that will be listed in the player Journal

* Scripts (to contain the main scripts of your mod.)

Before starting to implement a quest, my advice is to write a small "history"/"sotryboard" on paper (also electronic paper), just to have in mind what you want to do.

Then start to build it step by step.

I can give you a hand if you need help creating quests, scenes, packages, dialogues, etc.

Well, I'd like to do it myself. I just need guidance. If you could just make out some brief but detailed instructions, that'd be great.

This is specifically what I want to do:

-Enter bleakfalls barrow. Approach and interact with Katherine.

-Dialogue plays out.

-Katherine now follows you but is not a follower. (Perhaps, if it won't complicate things, limit her to only following inside bleakfalls barrow.)

-make your way through bleakfalls barrow until the end where you get the shout and the dragonstone. Not really any script there I guess.

-Katherine stops following and remains idle after retrieving the dragonstone. Talk to her to end quest and recruit her.

You can do this easy with just a couple of packages (and a conditional script variable)

"Standard waiting sandbox" low priority and not conditioned.

"Pseudo-follower package", just create a package for the NPC and do a never-ending "Travel" to the player (200 or 250 distance.)

make it conditional on your VMQuestVariable

"Wait after the end" another travel/sandbox package still conditioned on your VMQeustVariable (just with a different value)

Then add a script in your main quest.

Define the script like

ScriptName myQuestScript Extends Quest Conditional

Int Property myConditionalVariable Auto Conditional

And then by altering this value through scripts you can make the "non-yet-follower" to follow you.

If you want it to combat then you have to set correctly the enemy factions.

You can do this easy with just a couple of packages (and a conditional script variable)

"Standard waiting sandbox" low priority and not conditioned.

"Pseudo-follower package", just create a package for the NPC and do a never-ending "Travel" to the player (200 or 250 distance.)

make it conditional on your VMQuestVariable

"Wait after the end" another travel/sandbox package still conditioned on your VMQeustVariable (just with a different value)

Then add a script in your main quest.

Define the script like

ScriptName myQuestScript Extends Quest Conditional

Int Property myConditionalVariable Auto Conditional

And then by altering this value through scripts you can make the "non-yet-follower" to follow you.

If you want it to combat then you have to set correctly the enemy factions.

You're gonna need to show me some screenshots or something cause I'm just lost.

XD

Is Standard Waiting Sandbox an option I have to select? If so, where is it? How do I set the travel option to follow the player? Couldn't I just use the followplayer option?

You've gotta remember, I'm a freaking retard when it comes to CK. I know just about nothing. All I've got is common sense and a keen eye to detail, and I'm not seeing anything that could mean Katherine is set to follow me. It just says travel. That's it.

I think I have to create a new tutorial...

Let's do this.

I will extend my follower tutorial with something that can be useful for your mod.

I will do screenshots, explication, etc.

Then you can use it for your mod.

If you are OK, then just send me (also here) a page of: what should be happen (don't go in extreme details about the dialogues or the locations, I will just do a tutorial, not a real mod.)

I think I have to create a new tutorial...

Let's do this.

I will extend my follower tutorial with something that can be useful for your mod.

I will do screenshots, explication, etc.

Then you can use it for your mod.

If you are OK, then just send me (also here) a page of: what should be happen (don't go in extreme details about the dialogues or the locations, I will just do a tutorial, not a real mod.)

How soon might that be available?

Just please give me the highlights of what do you want to do before Friday evening.

So I can do them asap during the weekend.

Thank you.

Well, Right now, I just want to do the one intro quest I already described, and I want to pair several pieces of dialogue, ones I've not yet made but will in time, with either sexlab anim categories or specific animations. I'd like to know how to do both of those. Anything else will be in the far future, considering that everything else be finished first and if I can even think of anything else.

Archived