3dsMax 2013/2014 (64 Bit) Full Plugin - Updated!

blabba

Anyone else getting constant crashes when trying to add a BSDismemberSkinModifier?

Yepp, it happens every time i have the Skin (or any other modifier) rather than the Poly itself selected.

When first clicking the Poly and then adding the BsDismemberSkinModifier works.

It seems like this BSDismember modifier code is eluding me, I dunno if I'll be able to figure out the error :(

Well, not much can be done then. Thanks for the outstanding work with the 2014 plugin.

Anyone else getting constant crashes when trying to add a BSDismemberSkinModifier?

Yepp, it happens every time i have the Skin (or any other modifier) rather than the Poly itself selected.

When first clicking the Poly and then adding the BsDismemberSkinModifier works.

This actually worked, thanks.

been meaning to post these, since you updated max the plugins no longer work for me.

On start up I see this message

2vxhw13.jpg

and on import nif i get this message

2pqup7s.jpg

I cannot even open nifs that I had saved in max files anymore, as it tells me now that it is not a valid max file. your older plugins for 2014 worked fine but it seems I accidentaly the back up

been meaning to post these, since you updated max the plugins no longer work for me.

2vxhw13.jpg

2pqup7s.jpg

I cannot even open nifs that I had saved in max files anymore, as it tells me now that it is not a valid max file. 

You have a duplicate plugin called "EhamPlugin.dlu" in your 3dsmax plugin folder. You must manually remove/delete the file as per instructions in the OP.

edit: On an unrelated note, I'm re-doing the BSDismember modifier code from scratch since the original was just imo shitty. New BSdismember will be more optimized and stuff so hopefully crashes a lot less.

• 2 weeks later...

2vxhw13.jpg

2pqup7s.jpg

I cannot even open nifs that I had saved in max files anymore, as it tells me now that it is not a valid max file. 

You have a duplicate plugin called "EhamPlugin.dlu" in your 3dsmax plugin folder. You must manually remove/delete the file as per instructions in the OP.

edit: On an unrelated note, I'm re-doing the BSDismember modifier code from scratch since the original was just imo shitty. New BSdismember will be more optimized and stuff so hopefully crashes a lot less.

HI blabba

Do you have some ETA for the nex update?

Probably just blind (or stupid), but isn't this plugin for 2013 version too?

The answer is right above your first post.

"You have a duplicate plugin called "EhamPlugin.dlu" in your 3dsmax plugin folder. You must manually remove/delete the file as per instructions in the OP."

I don't have ehamplugin 100%.. I't just that this doesn't support 2013 version.. thanks anyway

EDIT: I only get the FIRST message like he does, and then I can't import nifs at all.

If its not in the program folder try looking in

C:\Users\{name}\AppData\Local\Autodesk\{max version}\ENU

for the plugin folder and see if any niftools are installed there.

I don't have ehamplugin 100%.. I't just that this doesn't support 2013 version.. thanks anyway

EDIT: I only get the FIRST message like he does, and then I can't import nifs at all.

If its not in the program folder try looking in

C:\Users\{name}\AppData\Local\Autodesk\{max version}\ENU

for the plugin folder and see if any niftools are installed there.

Checked, don't have "plugin" folder there, just "plugcfg_ln", which don't include ehamplugin in case you ask.

I don't think that it's problem on my side.. 

Checked, don't have "plugin" folder there, just "plugcfg_ln", which don't include ehamplugin in case you ask.

I don't think that it's problem on my side..

Max giving the duplicate plugin error message is not a problem on your end?

Try removing the NifPlugins.dlu (added by this plugin) from you plugin folder and see if you get the error/can still import .nifs.

uffffff... I don't get the same error, I don't know how I misread that...probably bcs I slept for 3 hours .. I get this error:

DLL <C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max Design 2013\PlugIns\NifPlugins.dlu> is not made for this version of the program - not loading

Sorry for wasting your time, I appreciate the help anyway..

I feel so ashamed now..

Ok, im going to shoot myself now.. 

I'll post a version compiled with the 2013 SDK once I get it on my computer, it'll be untested but you may try it.

having the same problem as abi008 ... (I use 3ds max 2013 64-bit)

waiting for the 3ds max 2013  compatible version of the plugin... thanks in advance ..

P.S : I tried Eham's plugin, it worked but I had the kf animation problem just like you had (problem = nothing happens when loading kf files not even an error message).. I hope you managed to slove that somehow.. if it's the case please share, I'd really appreciate that ...

Thanks for this. I only just today decided to try mod skyrim (gonna try a custom armor following Nightasy/BrainPoof guide) and immediately hit a brick wall since I couldn't get 3dsmax 2012... So, thanks for this :)

Feedback wise, you should probably modify the readme file since the install procedure there is incorrect.

Otherwise, 3dsmax 2014 starts fine and the plugin shows in the Customize -> Plugin Manager and as soon as I have a clue on how to actually use 3ds I'll be sure to let you know if I come up with any weird bugs :D

Also, you might want to change the description of the plugin with a version and link to the forum thread/github repository...

Again, Thanks!

K, so I promised some (hopefully) meaningful feedback:

Like everyone else, I have the same consistent crush when BSDismemberSkinModifier is selected if I have a skin rather then the Editable Mesh selected.

What I can add to this is that I'm also seeing a wrong poly count if following the exact steps in youtube.com/watch?v=fuVOjCJ5r0w&t=9m35s when selecting the entire model after zooming out. That is, In the video you can see he has 3098 polys selected while in 3dsmax 2014 using your plugin I'm only seeing just over 1500.

At that point stuff really starts messing up. Since there's no "skyrim torso 1" or "skyrim main body" I decided to go with "skyrim body". Well, after exporting and running the thing in Skyrim the armor was visible but the body turned out invisible... I figured maybe 3dsmax default changed between versions which could explain the wrong poly count in the selection so I got back to 3ds and changed the BSDismemberSkinModifier of the body from Torso to "skyrim body" like I did for the armor mesh. This made both body and armor show in Skyrim... But the body texture was all wrong. Black red thingy... Since the armor texture was fine I figured this is likely to be something that gets covered later in the tutorial so I decided to ignore it and carry on.

So, the next step was adjusting the shoulder strap and there I'm pretty sure something definitely is broken - possibly to do with the missing polys from earlier? - since I couldn't move the strap individually like he did in 9th vid. I even selected the same vertex he did and moved it with all the checkboxs the same as he but it'd definitely behaving differently. Now it could be just the 3ds version mismatch... But I figured mentioning it won't hurt.

Well, that's it so far. I can't really progress much in the guide so that's all the feedback I can give so far :D Hopefully that thing about the poly count turns out useful so this wall of text won't end up all for nothing ;)

Edit: just tested TesRenewal version. it's not doing too well either but the poly count is 3098 like in the video.

What I can add to this is that I'm also seeing a wrong poly count if following the exact steps in youtube.com/watch?v=fuVOjCJ5r0w&t=9m35s when selecting the entire model after zooming out. That is, In the video you can see he has 3098 polys selected while in 3dsmax 2014 using your plugin I'm only seeing just over 1500.

Do you have have ignore back faces active? given that you selected half the polys it sounds as though you have.

52o02ek2rqac76i7g.jpg

But the body texture was all wrong. Black red thingy... Since the armor texture was fine I figured this is likely to be something that gets covered later in the tutorial so I decided to ignore it and carry on.

You just have to delete the BSLightingShaderProperty and copy/paste one from a working nif.

edit the texture paths and a few other settings.

the tutorial should cover it eventually, probably.. I have no idea if it will to be honest. 

So, the next step was adjusting the shoulder strap and there I'm pretty sure something definitely is broken - possibly to do with the missing polys from earlier? - since I couldn't move the strap individually like he did in 9th vid. I even selected the same vertex he did and moved it with all the checkboxs the same as he but it'd definitely behaving differently. Now it could be just the 3ds version mismatch... But I figured mentioning it won't hurt.

Well besides this having nothing to do with the plugin, I'm really not sure what your going on about.

Try posting some pictures of the problem, because moving polys around the view port has always been the same in max, whether 2012 or 2014.

Do you have have ignore back faces active? given that you selected half the polys it sounds as though you have.

Hmm, 1549 polys does ring a bell... Unfortunately, since yesterday, I've uninstalled 3ds 2014 and installed 2012 :D  Still, I've made a lot a progress in the tutorials with 3ds2012 since yesterday and this peculiar problem didn't come up in 2012 but that could be a default for the checkbox getting changed between versions... But I can't say for sure.

You just have to delete the BSLightingShaderProperty and copy/paste one from a working nif.

edit the texture paths and a few other settings.

the tutorial should cover it eventually, probably.. I have no idea if it will to be honest.

Yup. Been there, done that :D Everything is fine now.

Well besides this having nothing to do with the plugin, I'm really not sure what your going on about.

It was the missing polys like I said. Doesn't matter it's fine now... eh, in 3ds2012 :D

Regardless, 3ds2012 sp2 update 12 works fine for me with figment's 3.7.3 nif plugin (http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/5622)*. Though I do miss the layouts tool-bar on the left since I constantly have to go to the menu now... But that's hardly a reason to upgrade I'm afraid :D

* Sadly Wix's 1.6 nif plugin (http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/40209) version doesn't work for me :/ It's unrelated but I'd be looking at trying it out again and maybe some of the older versions to see if it was a regression that wasn't before 1.6...

Regardless, 3ds2012 sp2 update 12 works fine for me with figment's 3.7.3 nif plugin (http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/5622)*. Though I do miss the layouts tool-bar on the left since I constantly have to go to the menu now... But that's hardly a reason to upgrade I'm afraid :D

I remember when i installed the updates for max 2012 and it messed up the way view port navigation worked. :mellow:

Well if downgrading gets everything working correctly for you then it can't be a bad choice.

As for layouts if you use a particular one what you can do is open max set the view port to the layout you use and then save it as "MaxStart.max" in the default scenes folder "Documents\3dsMax\scenes" (should be the first folder open when saving).

Then every time you open max it will load the save automatically. (their are a few other setting that can get saved and loaded as well)

Also you can learn the default hot keys for different views.

ALT+W - Maximises selected view port / Unmaximises selected view port.

P - perspective view

U - orthographic

T - top orthographic view

B - bottom orthographic view

L - left orthographic view

You can also click the view cube to align the view to any side.

* Sadly Wix's 1.6 nif plugin (http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/40209) version doesn't work for me :/ It's unrelated but I'd be looking at trying it out again and maybe some of the older versions to see if it was a regression that wasn't before 1.6...

The only other niftools for max 2012 and lower are http://niftools.sourceforge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3845

Like the one you posted its forked off of figments, it has its problems but it fixed one problem that plagued me "fixed export normals".

I don't have 2012 installed any more and i like all the improvements to the base modeling tools to much to use anything below 2016 now.

And only have 2014 to import and export nifs.

As for layouts if you use a particular one what you can do is open max set the view port to the layout you use and then save it as "MaxStart.max" in the default scenes folder "Documents\3dsMax\scenes" (should be the first folder open when saving).

Then every time you open max it will load the save automatically. (their are a few other setting that can get saved and loaded as well)

Nice! This was really annoying! Now everything resets just the way I like it :) Thanks!

The only other niftools for max 2012 and lower are http://niftools.sourceforge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3845

Like the one you posted its forked off of figments, it has its problems but it fixed one problem that plagued me "fixed export normals".

Cool I'll be sure to look this fork up if I'll ever run into similar issues.

I don't have 2012 installed any more and i like all the improvements to the base modeling tools to much to use anything below 2016 now.

And only have 2014 to import and export nifs.

Considering I don't know anything about 3d modeling, I prefer sticking to the best documented tools rather than the latest and greatest. Before finding Nightasy's highly detailed tutorial, I was looking at blender (FOSS and somewhat documented*) and even considering Maya (Industry standard? no documents*). Still, I'll take your suggestion into consideration and once I'm through with his tutorial and I'm satisfied with my familiarity with the 2012 toolings, I'll consider an upgrade to the recent 3ds max before playing around with Blender and Maya ;)

* In the context of modding Skyrim assets for complete noobs. I'm sure both Maya and Blender have excellent documentations around otherwise.

Archived