Learning to use MO for FONV and TTW

RDKateran

it will first appear in the (in)famous Overwrite folder. You will either have to make a mod of the merged files or, if you merged an existing mod, drag the contents to the original mod. If you make a new mod of the contents of the overwrite, it will then appear in the left pane. Don't forget to untick the merged mods though!

If you drag and drop the merged file into the original mod, it won't appear seperately. See for an example the description in the STEP guide for merging Advance recon trap detection. (this is a drag&drop scenario)

I'm not talking about merging plugins, though, I'm talking about xEdit's "Merged Patch" function, the one that it can create automatically to resolve conflicts.

EDIT: Files keep going into the Overwrite folder every time I play the game.  Mostly menu and SKSE plugin stuff, so I'm not quite sure what to do about it.

I'm not talking about merging plugins, though, I'm talking about xEdit's "Merged Patch" function, the one that it can create automatically to resolve conflicts.

EDIT: Files keep going into the Overwrite folder every time I play the game.  Mostly menu and SKSE plugin stuff, so I'm not quite sure what to do about it.

I am afraid I don't know how xEdit works, so I can't help you with that, sorry

As for the files that keep popping up in the overwrite when you play: this is "normal". The easiest way to deal with that is making a mod of the files in the overwrite, calling it something simple so you know what it is (I call it Garbage). Place this mod above the Bashed patch and activate it. Every time you played and are going to play again, empty the overwrite by drag&dropping the files into the "garbage" mod.

• 2 weeks later...

You can do what you want. Keep the old one. Overwrite the old one, or just install a new one and use it instead. Each way has it benefits. Keeping the old one allows for old mods to continue to be used with an old profile you are still playing, Overwriting keeps MO nice and small and concise only one SexoutNG for example. Most current. Installing a new one allows you to have the newest and greatest (great for testing a new version of a mod with an old favorite profile before using it in case there are some conflicts or kinks that need to be worked out).

I am currently having multiple versions of the same mod. Old "legacy" versions and newest versions for FNV (sexout mods) as I have some old mods that don't play well with the current version. Can have both and use whatever I want. ;). I just add the version name to the end of the mods name and unclick the version column in MO.

• 4 months later...

So, question to you script-savvy modders.  How exactly does a game mod save a script you've put into the mod?  Is it saved within the mod, or put into a separate file like in Skyrim, etc?  I ported over the cloaking scripts from Fallout 3's Reinforced Chinese Stealth Suit mod over into the FONV version, which kinda half-assed it by making it like the FO3 Stealth Suit item.  The script works fine, I know that much.  The thing is, the first time I had to redo it, simply saving and copying the edited plugin with my changes, overwriting the original plugin, didn't work.  It acted like nothing had changed, and when I went into the plugin via the GECK to see what was wrong, nothing had indeed changed, it was as if my edits never existed.

Is that normal?  'cause I don't know how complicated editing those same scripts into the mod via MO is going to be, and I'd like to save myself the headache if possible.

Scripts are saved inside the mod.

If I understand you correctly, you want to use the FO3 version of the Stealth Suit instead of the one for FONV.

Why don't you just convert the FO3 mod to TTW?

Instructions how to do that can be found here: https://taleoftwowastelands.com/content/fnv-edit-series-converting-fo3-mods

Not what I want, actually.  What I want is the scripting for the FO3 mod to be in the FONV mod, 'cause when I use TTW I only do so for the FO3 content--I have two other profiles purely for FONV, without TTW, but the FONV mod is fairly barebones in comparison to the script-enabled FO3 version: cloaking is done by going into sneak mode, and the night vision is automatic when you wear the equipment for it, so if you want to turn it off, you have to take it off through the Pip-boy.  Whereas in FO3 you just turn it off at the press of a button...

So yeah, I like that functionality.  I've already done the scripting and adjustments to the globals for it to work.  I just want to be able to overwrite the original plugin in the zip file with my edited version, but last time I did that, it kept the old plugin and deleted my edited one.  So if I can't get that to work properly, I need to edit the plugin directly with the GECK... and I dunno what to do for that given how MO operates with virtual libraries and such.

Setup the GECK in MO as follows:

- In 'Modify Executables' make a new entry and name it 'GECK NVSE' (or something similar)

- In 'Binary' link to the 'nvse-loader.exe'

- In 'Arguments' enter "-editor" (without the quotes)

You might also want to install 'GECK-Powerup'

- if a script doesn't compile, it will give you a warning with the line it can't compile

Hope this will help

• 5 months later...

Long time no see.  I have since made a new, more powerful computer and am in the process of reinstalling my games and stuff onto it.  So, I have a question:

Is there some way I can just transfer all of MO and its profiles and installed crap onto the new computer and have it work properly, given the whole virtual drive library that I have no idea how works, or do I have to start all over?

Granted, have to start all over since I'll be switching to MO for Skyrim, but I'd like to cut down on the workload.

You can make a backup of the entire MO file and move it over to the new drive.

Change the file locatons (if needed in settings)

Make sure you start the game once before using MO.

Might have some issues with INI from a different machine if so copy over the new INI and thenmake the needed changes to the file or create ini overrides in MO.

I regularly copy over an old Skyrim setup for a quick play when I want onto my SSD and it works well enough.

I don't think so. If iti is like my setup with MO 1 there isn't anything outside. The program is "portable" so it should work fine for you moving from one drive or computer to another. Anyway if you have a backup (which you copied from) we can go into more detail later if needed with a fresh MO install if problems occur.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, got it all moved over and for the most part, it works!

Except for one little problem in the way of penises.  Whenever a sex scene starts on Sexout after the migration, the male nude body has the penis mesh stretch off into oblivion like a skeleton issue.  Not really sure what could be causing that or where to start for investigating and fixing it.

Yeah, I figured it out.  If certain mods are active on a profile at all, it'll crash it automatically--notably among those mods being the Willow companion and JIP, but not limited to those.  Workaround is to not use those mods and/or use a dedicated GECK profile.

Now that I can access that again, I can try and figure out what the hell is wrong with the Alternate Start mod...

• 4 weeks later...

Quick question: Can I safely copy a backup of FONV out of the install directory, uninstall Steam and reinstall it, and then move the backup back into the install directory without breaking Mod Organizer or anything else important?

I need to uninstall Steam on account of trying to figure out why games that use idTech game engines don't work on my machine.

Archived