Learning to use MO for FONV and TTW

RDKateran

So with how things are on the TTW front, I figure I'd be much better off having TTW separate from my original FONV install.  So my best option there would be to switch from FOMM and NMM to MO, which I'll be completely new to.

Thing is, I've already got a shitload of mods installed on FO3, FONV, and Skyrim through FOMM and NMM.  I know that to use it for each game, I'll need a separate MO install for each (though at this point I'd only be using it for FONV).  What I need to know is if I'm going to have to reinstall all of my mods for FONV after installing MO.  Or can I do something like exporting the current set-up from FOMM and putting it in as my first profile for MO?  Just looking to know how much work I'll have to do (like if I need to re-script NV!RCSS), and anything else that's really need-to-know for switching from the classic mod managers to MO.

Figured I'd post it here, 'cause my only interest in TTW at all is for the Sexout content released for it.  So can anyone help me?

Well, looks like actually installing MO will have to wait until tomorrow then, 'cause now I have to uninstall everything and uninstall FONV, and reinstall it.  Then I'll have to rescript that bloody RCSS mod.  The GECK can be accessed through MO, right?  I can't imagine just saving the altered .esp and slapping it over the normal RCSS install will do me any favors.

Yeah. You can run FOMM through MO, too. And don't worry. Once you make the switch to MO? You will NEVER have to uninstall FNV again :) 

Just read through the FNV guide in my signature, and it will direct you on how to properly use MO with FNV

Can NVSE and its plugins be installed through MO, or should I do that manually?

You will have to install NVSE manually. The NVSE plugins you can install through MO.

I recently switched over to MO as well and I use TTW. A suggestion I can give you is: follow EssArrBee's STEP guide to the letter! And you can pick and choose which mods from his list you want to install (I skipped most of them, except the texture packs and essential gameplay ones).

Some tips:

Follow EssArrBee's guide up to the Fixes section.

Install TTW via the FOMM fork through MO. All other mods you can safely (and easily) install with MO, but TTW can kinda "screw up" when installed with MO.

Install TTW as the first mod, right after the FNV gamefiles and DLC.

Best way to install TTW: first install the main TTW files through FOMM. This will put the TTW files in the "Overwrite" folder. Create a mod ( call it TTW Main) then make the "mod" from the Overwrite. Once that is done, only then install the TTW optional files and follow the same procedure. Before you do this, make sure the overwrite folder is empty.

Install TTW Fixes via MO.

Then run LOOT to sort the files.

Do NOT clean the FNV masters as LOOT suggests, since TTW relies on them!

Once the files are sorted, follow EssArrBee's Step guide until FNVLODGen, picking and choosing the files you want to install.

IMPORTANT: Do NOT install the Yukichigaki files (YUP etc). TTW Fixes does the same (and better)

Now install all TTW related files (modfixes, tweaks, etc)

Then continue with the STEP guide til the end.

And you should be good to go.

This "guide" worked well for me. Of course you are free to do this how ever you want. I just wanted to give you some options.

Good luck!

- Moo.

Edit: About cleaning master files: follow EssArrBee's guide for them. the only ones you shouldn't clean are the original FNV files.

Edit again: use the FOMM Fork, not the Sexout prepared FOMM from here, since that version doesn't play nice with MO.

Well, got the TTW fomod set up, so of course FOMM had to throw me an error, saying that it required a different version of FOMM installed.  So I go and install the latest version of FOMM Fork to make sure I have the highest version, so of course now MO can't use FOMM whatsoever.  Giving me this error:

7e7a441ebb.png

I was going by Vachnic's provided instruction, and he recommended installing with FOMM through MO, like the TTW site's download page also recommends.  They don't really offer much advice for installing it through MO, so I'll need a step-by-step for that.

Best way to install TTW: first install the main TTW files through FOMM. This will put the TTW files in the "Overwrite" folder. Create a mod ( call it TTW Main) then make the "mod" from the Overwrite. Once that is done, only then install the TTW optional files and follow the same procedure. Before you do this, make sure the overwrite folder is empty.

I'm not quite sure what you mean in this step, when it comes to creating the mods.  If that's just creating the FOMODs, that's already done when I ran the installer, but since you're specifying doing this after installing it through FOMM, clearly you mean something else.

I'm not quite sure what you mean in this step, when it comes to creating the mods.  If that's just creating the FOMODs, that's already done when I ran the installer, but since you're specifying doing this after installing it through FOMM, clearly you mean something else.

Yes, I do mean something else :)

From the STEP site:

FOMODs can sometimes be installed using Fallout Mod Manager (FOMM) by running it through Mod Organizer (MO) and creating a mod from the files it dumps inside Overwrite. Please note that FOMM was built for Fallout and may not work for other game FOMODs. Also note that it is preferable to use the default FOMOD installation plugin to using FOMM. For the Fallout games, install FOMM to the game directory in order for Mod Organizer to automatically add it to its list of executables. It may also be added manually by following the instructions in the Third Party Programs chapter. To install a FOMOD through FOMM:

1. Ensure that your Overwrite directory is empty.
  2. Launch FOMM through MO.
  3. Click Package Manager. Select no to any popups.
  4. Click Add Package and browse to and select the FOMOD archive you wish to install. If it asks to make a copy, select no.
  5. Install the FOMOD with your desired settings, most likely selecting Yes to all to any conflicts, and exit FOMM.
  6. Right-click Overwrite, select Create Mod, enter the name of the mod, click OK and you're done.

I know using MO to set up your game has a very steep learning curve, but the result is a much cleaner install. And it is much easier to install and uninstall mods with MO. If you haven't used MO at all before, I really recommend that you read the Step guide for it. That explains all the features and possibilities.

Okay, I see how the Overwrite works now.  And yeah, I have the STEP list open, I just tend to understand things better if someone's willing to walk me through it.  I can miss things with a large guide sometimes.

I can't seem to find a list on what each option in the TTW Optionals fomod entails, though.  Can someone point me in the right direction to such a list?  I'm sure one exists somewhere.

Archived