View File

Butch Deloria Companion for New Vegas
(fully voiced)

Description

This mod brings back Butch Deloria from Fallout 3 to Fallout New Vegas as a player companion.
Comes equipped with a brand-name Butch Deloria appearance, Tunnel Snakes outfit, Butch's Toothpick and a 10 mm pistol.
Fully voiced, all badass, and cocky, and arrogant as ever!

You can find him sitting at the bar in Prospector Saloon in Goodspring and after a short dialogue you can hire him.
If fired, he'll return to the same place.

I tried to voice all of the possible interactions, but regarding this comes from Fallout 3, there might be some slight inaccurancies, like him talking about going to Rivet City for a beer :)

Installation

It's a .fomod package, so just use FOMM :)
There are two package files in the archive: Butch.esm and Butch Override.esp. The first one adds Buth the way he is in Fallout 3 by default. The second one adds some overrides:

• karma checks removed so that you can hire him with any karma;
  • he's set to essential so that he surely won't get killed.

The .esm file is obligatory, while the .esp is optional and should be unchecked if don't wish to use overrides.

Uninstallation

Delete all of the mod files from your game directories... meh, better use FOMM or any other mod manager to do all this boring stuff automatically :)

This is actually my first and only try to make a game mod, and the version is 0.1, so there might be some bugs and stuff... However, I've been playing with him for some time already and haven't encountered any problems.

• It's a (one and only) mod I've made a long time ago and had it posted on some Fallout mod site which I can't even remember, so I decided to give it a new life here :) As I remember, it was deleted from Nexus because it contains some audio files from the original Fallout 3 (Butch's dialogues, obviously).
  • I've been told by some people that Butch doesn't immediately appear in Prospector Saloon and may take some waiting and/or wandering off to other locations for a while for him to actually appear in the game. I've looked into it but couldn't find anything wrong, although I probably didn't really know what to look for...
  • Since the only actual work done by me consisted mostly of some extensive copy-pasting and file renaming, I don't claim any rights on this mod, and you can use or modify it in any way you want without asking for any permissions, although sharing a link to your will be appreciated, I'm curios :)

• 1 month later...

Hm, after I recruit him he doesn't seem to want to talk to me or open his inventory. It just does that weird "zoom in, zoom out" talking bug. Any ideas?

Not sure, this usually happens when the dialogue quest is not running, never had this problem with Butch... Anyway, I'm now using a bit modified version, try it instead. It now has some options in the MCM, so, replace the .esm and disable the "overrides" .esp, or it will cause problems.

Moved a lot of stuff inside, so better start this version from a Butch-clean save.

Butch.esm

Hm, after I recruit him he doesn't seem to want to talk to me or open his inventory. It just does that weird "zoom in, zoom out" talking bug. Any ideas?

Not sure, this usually happens when the dialogue quest is not running, never had this problem with Butch... Anyway, I'm now using a bit modified version, try it instead. It now has some options in the MCM, so, replace the .esm and disable the "overrides" .esp, or it will cause problems.

Moved a lot of stuff inside, so better start this version from a Butch-clean save.

Ah, that worked! Nice. Thank you!

Don't suppose you could do an Amata mod while you're at it?

If you don't use TTW, then yes an Amata one would be nice.

I use TTW and have the Amata conversion for it.

This is nicely done btw.  Now I need to finish working on my dialogue mod so that my Amata can have some sandbox discussions with your Butch haha.

Nickolos1818, haven't tried TTW yet, but using this version of Butch will probably screw things up (besides adding his exact twin to the World), there are some references from FO3 unused but kept in FNV, including followers' quests, so I kept them. Making this Butch completely conflict-less is probably something that has to be done, but I'm always too lazy for that, it will probably require renaming a ton of audio files %))

Doesn't TTW add its own playable Butch you can use as a companion?

Nickolos1818, haven't tried TTW yet, but using this version of Butch will probably screw things up (besides adding his exact twin to the World), there are some references from FO3 unused but kept in FNV, including followers' quests, so I kept them. Making this Butch completely conflict-less is probably something that has to be done, but I'm always too lazy for that, it will probably require renaming a ton of audio files %))

Doesn't TTW add its own playable Butch you can use as a companion?

Yes and no depending the the TTW setup you choose personally to get him or not.  I myself have no problem with this one with my set up, as I don't have Butch with me just Amata, Clover and Sara Lyons atm in NV.  You can go grab the Butch TTW version and check for possible conflicts. 

Yet as a Standalone Mod for just NV this won't have any real conflicts.

Yes and no depending the the TTW setup you choose personally to get him or not.  I myself have no problem with this one with my set up, as I don't have Butch with me just Amata, Clover and Sara Lyons atm in NV.  You can go grab the Butch TTW version and check for possible conflicts.

Yeah, well, I'm not really ready to replay both games just yet :) Also I'm still not quite sure what exactly does TTW do. Merge two storylines together so that FNV goes after FO3? Can I travel between FO3 and FNV maps?

Well, I'm all my bodyparts up for it, go ahead an use it any way you want :) I don't think I'll be doing something drastic like changing formIDs, so it should be safe to use. Better use the newer version from the post above, it has most of the conflict issues removed and includes some other fixes.

Yeah, well, I'm not really ready to replay both games just yet :) Also I'm still not quite sure what exactly does TTW do. Merge two storylines together so that FNV goes after FO3? Can I travel between FO3 and FNV maps?

Well, I'm all my bodyparts up for it, go ahead an use it any way you want :) I don't think I'll be doing something drastic like changing formIDs, so it should be safe to use. Better use the newer version from the post above, it has most of the conflict issues removed and includes some other fixes.

You can travel between the maps.  Start in the CW, get out of Vault 101, head to Megaton, do what you need to do.  I use the TTW Train Pass mod, allows you to instantly travel between NV and F3 whenever you want by using the item in your inventory.

Majority of F:NV mods work with TTW, as all TTW mods require FNV as a master.  Its converting some of the F3 mods/armor to TTW that gets a bit tiresome.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 7 years later...