The best mod managing tool for Skyrim

Nepro

What is the best mod managing tool for Skyrim?  

174 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best mod managing tool for Skyrim?

• Wrye Bash (http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/1840/?)
    • Nexus Mod Manager (http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/modmanager/?)
    • Mod Organizer (http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/1334/?)
    • Skyrim Mod Manager (http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/57044/?)
    • Other mod manager (please specificy in the post and I will add it to the poll)

It took me about ten minutes and one Google search to run FNIS through MO. I was far from a power user at that point, in fact I still don't consider myself a power user when it comes to modding.

If that's a steep learning curve, I don't know what's easy.

If you find a need for more basic info..

http://www.loverslab.com/topic/48862-the-best-mod-managing-tool-for-skyrim/page-3?do=findComment&comment=1237868

Or just give someone that link that does. ;).

It covers pretty much most of the info a new user will need to setup their game(s).

I've been manually installing mods for a long time. And I've used NMM and FOMM/OBMM since then as well. Then when I went to MO I didn't find it difficult at all. Especially when I realized that MO was just a /data/ folder and didn't try to jam things in there that wouldn't have normally gone in the game's /data/ folder.

Yes, MO installations are very, very much like manual installations. But manual that's easier to keep track of, that you can install mods in any order you want (then just drag and drop into their proper order), that flags (and sometimes fixes) potential order problems and so on.

MO is like manual installation on a whole lot of steroids. It's a very powerful tool. One worth learning to use. I'll never play a Bethesda game without it again. No way. I've even found more stability in my games while using it compared to other install methods. And of course having multiple profiles on one game installation is the shit, man.

Guest endgameaddiction

It is the shit. It's the shit that you can install and uninstall mods without having to dig through your folders to remove files. You don't have to worry about scripts physically being overwritten and uninstalling a mod will revert back to the same script handled by another mod depending where it sits in the mod list.

I myself will never touch another mod manager for Bethesda games ever again. The only game I haven't used MO for is New Vegas yet. Maybe never to be honest. I don't mod that game like I do Fallout 3.

D0 can try to get his crew to make a MO like manager with his NMM, but even if they manage to include the same features, it'll take them a decade just to get the new features to properly work. Give them a decade, maybe they'll have it all sorted out by then.

• 3 weeks later...

The biggest drawback of Mod Organizer - can't run Ordenador (Texture Optimizer) as intended. You will have to manually click and optimize each mod folder which is a headache.

Point it at the whole /mods/ folder and let it run. It's what I do. No need to do it to each individual mod in there.

The biggest drawback of Mod Organizer - can't run Ordenador (Texture Optimizer) as intended. You will have to manually click and optimize each mod folder which is a headache.

Point it at the whole /mods/ folder and let it run. It's what I do. No need to do it to each individual mod in there.

It won't work.

It won't work.

It works when I do it.

If you're serious about actually playing the game and not just installing mods and going "ooh neat" and then not do anything else, MO and WB combined are pretty much your only viable option for any mods that change cells or use scripts or alter multiple lists simultaneously. If you just play dress up and make pr0n gifs then MO by itself is fine. If you plan on playing with modded assets all the way through, then Wrye Bash is essential for avoiding crashes and the kind of issues that having a virtual directory like MO introduces.

It won't work.

If you haven't set MO as an admin-enabled program including the mod directory, very little about it will work properly.

• 1 year later...

MO is the best simply because your data folder stays crisp and clean as new. Even with cleaned ESMs you can just make a new mod for them and your game will still pass validation check. I think there is a bit of an issue though if you get near or above 400+ mod folders MO tends to lag a bit, but that's probably the same for everything.

Try seperating your mods into folders (setup location for where the folder is installed) It will require more space as you will have duplicates installed and it will be anoying as you won't be able to just click on a profile and get it running in seconds but you could cut the amount of mods for Profile "sets" into smaller batches and it won't slow down. Then when you want a different profile set of mods go to the settings and redirect mo to that folder and you mods will appear again (In theory only loosely tested it. )

MO all the way.

The only thing Mod Organizer is missing that I wish it will have one day (I've been wishing for this for so long) is that tannin some how manages to get each profile to have it's own game directory to allow us to install multiple ENBs. One for each profile.

Hopefully now that Tanning is gone from MO development something can be added that will allow this to happen. Perhaps the new NMM will have that option.

Yes, MO installations are very, very much like manual installations. But manual that's easier to keep track of, that you can install mods in any order you want (then just drag and drop into their proper order), that flags (and sometimes fixes) potential order problems and so on.

MO is like manual installation on a whole lot of steroids. It's a very powerful tool. One worth learning to use. I'll never play a Bethesda game without it again. No way. I've even found more stability in my games while using it compared to other install methods. And of course having multiple profiles on one game installation is the shit, man.

Well you won't be playing a Bethesda game at least newer ones as Tanning isn't developing MO anymore. Hopefully someone else will or perhaps he will take those features and add it to the NMM so we can have those powerful tools. I like clean manual installing (what I call MO mod managment. :P)

Archived