The best mod managing tool for Skyrim

Nepro

What is the best mod managing tool for Skyrim?  

174 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best mod managing tool for Skyrim?

• Wrye Bash (http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/1840/?)
    • Nexus Mod Manager (http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/modmanager/?)
    • Mod Organizer (http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/1334/?)
    • Skyrim Mod Manager (http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/57044/?)
    • Other mod manager (please specificy in the post and I will add it to the poll)

remove them and add new ones daily

your save must have lot of problems

gYWnZTM.jpg

i removed some furnitures from immersive winterhold

that don't delete their scripts from the save, had to do that in savegamecleaner to really delete those furnitures

i use obis, obis leveled lists are in the save, i can't remove obis from that save (removing esp won't update leveled lists, and the game will try to load npc from an esp that is no longer there)

if you don't use obis, and add it to the save, you can remove it without problem, because you never had obis (adding esp don't update leveled list, game won't load those new npc from obis esp, if they are no longer here, it's not a problem)

Winny, I think that since you know how to do a manual installation you'd really like MO. Having knowledge of Skyrim folder structures helps make MO even more powerful.

Mod Organizer by Tannin

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/1334/?

http://static-5.nexusmods.com/15/mods/110/images/1334-1-1358616497.png

look at you that perfectly well at. ;) 

redmine text: English.

all elements: English

Operation: English

damn shit, I do not speak English. :P  :lol:

Guest endgameaddiction

MO all the way.

The only thing Mod Organizer is missing that I wish it will have one day (I've been wishing for this for so long) is that tannin some how manages to get each profile to have it's own game directory to allow us to install multiple ENBs. One for each profile.

NMM + Wyre Bash for bashed patch

Thought about just switching to Wyre Bash but as i've used NMM for a long time and i've never had the issues that peeps complain/mention when praising MO i've never felt the need to switch

Oh, what is that, German? :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o

BisLxXF.jpg

that's strange

someone that is such an expert he claim to be able to install mods manually in the data folder, without breaking anything

but... checking the options to choose his language on a random tool, too complicated

Winny, I think that since you know how to do a manual installation you'd really like MO. Having knowledge of Skyrim folder structures helps make MO even more powerful.

Mod Organizer by Tannin

It works in most common languages. If you can use English language mods without breaking your game then there's no doubt you can use MO in German.

On a side note, the only German I know is what my grandmother would utter when she was angry. :D

Oh, what is that, German? :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o

BisLxXF.jpg

that's strange

someone that is such an expert he claim to be able to install mods manually in the data folder, without breaking anything

but... checking the options to choose his language on a random tool, too complicated

that's many years of experience, although I do not speak English know I how one  manually mods install. this I'm doing since Morrowind and Oblivion such. through this procedure Individual files can I modify (replace), when me some elements of a mods not like, then I replace this from another mod.

Mod Organizer by Tannin

It works in most common languages. If you can use English language mods without breaking your game then there's no doubt you can use MO in German.

On a side note, the only German I know is what my grandmother would utter when she was angry. :D

gefuehle_0121.gif

gefuehle_0121.gif

Remember, us Americans often have foreign grandparents. I have German immigrants on both sides of my family.

The only reason I don't speak German is because I could drive 10000 kilometers here in North America without running into anyone who doesn't speak English. Well, besides some Spanish speaking illegal immigrants anyway. :o

Ill dare to say comparing to othe mod managers Mod Organizer has no cons.

Considering their is a stickied thread about how to install SKSE with MO, numerous threads about how to run FNIS with MO and the issue that was about awhile ago when SoS and Sexlab both had papyrus util packaged with them the learning curve to use it correctly is the con with MO :)

Considering their is a stickied thread about how to install SKSE with MO, numerous threads about how to run FNIS with MO and the issue that was about awhile ago when SoS and Sexlab both had papyrus util packaged with them the learning curve to use it correctly is the con with MO :)

Not really. All there is to learn is that Skyrim Data folder is not used to install mods but mod organizer's mods folder is used instead. For Fnis there is 2 extra clicks, and thats about it.

Yep.. as one's skill increases one can move further and further into advanced to literally just dropping those "manual" set up file right into the mods folder. This is useful for those very complex setup with mulit mods like some Frameworks and multi dependent mods (skeletons with some special body setup and some armors etc) you can create your own custom manual install folder. Same as what you would/could do for your current process and drop those in.

It is a very powerful tool that grows with you and your skills.

MO is the best simply because your data folder stays crisp and clean as new. Even with cleaned ESMs you can just make a new mod for them and your game will still pass validation check. I think there is a bit of an issue though if you get near or above 400+ mod folders MO tends to lag a bit, but that's probably the same for everything.

If it gets too full.. and you don't need some of them.. just drag those folders out into some backup for later.. ;). If later you need it.. no need to even reinstall it.. just drag it back.. :P..

Not really. All there is to learn is that Skyrim Data folder is not used to install mods but mod organizer's mods folder is used instead. For Fnis there is 2 extra clicks, and thats about it.

Kinky is correct. The idea is anything that goes in the "data" folder goes in MO. with SKSE.. just install it and select the "Data" folder and assign it the data folder and let MO install it. Drag and drop anything else that isn't "Data" into the main folder. Manually.

I beg to differ about the papyrus issue. For a newer person it might be confusing.. however keep in mind that each and ever file that is conflicting shows in MO. If you get a warning about papyrus .. check for conflicts.. find a mod that has it.. and move it up or down.. or even hide that file if you want.. In extreme cases manually open the folder up (using the explore option) and delete it if you want.. Delete the mod and reinstall it and open the explore in the process and unclick the offending files.. Many choices. Many options Thath is the biggest issue with new users.

Kinky is correct. The idea is anything that goes in the "data" folder goes in MO. with SKSE.. just install it and select the "Data" folder and assign it the data folder and let MO install it. Drag and drop anything else that isn't "Data" into the main folder. Manually.

I beg to differ about the papyrus issue. For a newer person it might be confusing.. however keep in mind that each and ever file that is conflicting shows in MO. If you get a warning about papyrus .. check for conflicts.. find a mod that has it.. and move it up or down.. or even hide that file if you want.. In extreme cases manually open the folder up (using the explore option) and delete it if you want.. Delete the mod and reinstall it and open the explore in the process and unclick the offending files.. Many choices. Many options Thath is the biggest issue with new users.

Umm ritual if thats the case why is there a pinned thread in the skyrim technical forum created by you explaining how to install SKSE with MO (which you've still not added how to install FNIS to which i asked about ages ago  :@  after answering yet another question regarding FNIS and MO - I don't even use MO and i know the answer to this from seeing it questioned so much)

I guess you just like wasting your time making threads "nobody" will need

I'm not saying MO is bad so don't get your panties all twisted but saying MO is easy to learn when you've created threads explaining how to do stuff and we have both seen all the threads created regarding how to use it, is not being very honest

Umm ritual if thats the case why is there a pinned thread in the skyrim technical forum created by you explaining how to install SKSE with MO (which you've still not added how to install FNIS to which i asked about ages ago  :@  after answering yet another question regarding FNIS and MO - I don't even use MO and i know the answer to this from seeing it questioned so much)

YEP... I made that because hundreds of people seemed to be making a very big deal about a very simple process.

Sorry you you got your panties in a bunch about me not creating a FNIS tutorial. They are a dime a dozen on the web.. here try this one

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Mod+Manager+FNIS+installation

Look for Gophers video. Very simply explained.

If you like reading and think Installing FNIS is hard.

Users: Since you must launch FNIS through Mod Organizer in order for it to recognize your mods, add FNIS to the list of executables by doing the following:
  1. Click the gears icon Gear_MO.png. This opens the Modify Executables window.
  2. In the Title field, type FNIS.
  3. For the Binary field, browse to your FNIS installation (should be located in <ModOrganizer>/mods/Fores New Idles in Skyrim - FNIS/tools/GenerateFNIS_for_Users) and select the GenerateFNISforUsers.exe application.
  4. Click the Add button. This will add FNIS to your executables list.
  5. Click OK.

Now each time you want to run FNIS, simply select it from the drop-down menu at top right and click Run.

5 Steps.. just 5 Steps. This is from the S.T.E.P.S pages. Found with a simple Google search.. Yep.. That is pretty complex.. yea pretty complex instructions.. So complex I couldn't ever see me creating a tutorial for it. :dodgy:

I don't even use MO and i know the answer to this from seeing it questioned so much

And you are making a judgment on how hard something is to lean when you don't even use it.. Have you even tried?

There is a learning curve. It will take some time to get comfortable working with MO's system. Having a learning curve doesn't equal hard to learn ;). Just means someone needs to invest a bit more time reading and setting up. Nothing more. The process is simple just like the FNIS instructions above. Same with the SKSE and TESedit and so on and do forth.

For those that want dead simple.. couple of clicks and be done.. NMM is what they want. MO is too much for them. For those that want more control and protection and to be able to use the features and tools that MO has.. The learning curve is reasonable. No less than learning how to use the GECK or CK.. Takes a bit of time but the actual process is pretty straight forward.

For those that do decide t use MO.. There is a unofficial support thread here as well as STEPS thread. (one link in my sig for aid). What is needed for basic MO use is..

MO instaled,

FNIS (insructions above)

SKSE(pinned to Skyrim support )

basic installation conflict understanding and how to resolve them

What the overwrite folder is about, how to create a mod from the overwrite

You can then start using MO for Skyrim. Avoid Physics mods or Body Slide until you get a bit more comfortable with MO.

YEP... I made that because hundreds of people seemed to be making a very big deal about a very simple process.

Sorry you you got your panties in a bunch about me not creating a FNIS tutorial. They are a dime a dozen on the web.. here try this one

Users: Since you must launch FNIS through Mod Organizer in order for it to recognize your mods, add FNIS to the list of executables by doing the following:
  3. For the Binary field, browse to your FNIS installation (should be located in <ModOrganizer>/mods/Fores New Idles in Skyrim - FNIS/tools/GenerateFNIS_for_Users) and select the GenerateFNISforUsers.exe application.
  5. Click OK.

Now each time you want to run FNIS, simply select it from the drop-down menu at top right and click Run.

5 Steps.. just 5 Steps. This is from the S.T.E.P.S pages. Found with a simple Google search.. Yep.. That is pretty complex.. yea pretty complex instructions.. So complex I couldn't ever see me creating a tutorial for it. :dodgy:

I don't even use MO and i know the answer to this from seeing it questioned so much

And you are making a judgment on how hard something is to lean when you don't even use it.. Have you even tried?

There is a learning curve. It will take some time to get comfortable working with MO's system. Having a learning curve doesn't equal hard to learn ;). Just means someone needs to invest a bit more time reading and setting up. Nothing more. The process is simple just like the FNIS instructions above. Same with the SKSE and TESedit and so on and do forth.

For those that want dead simple.. couple of clicks and be done.. NMM is what they want. MO is too much for them. For those that want more control and protection and to be able to use the features and tools that MO has.. The learning curve is reasonable. No less than learning how to use the GECK or CK.. Takes a bit of time but the actual process is pretty straight forward.

For those that do decide t use MO.. There is a unofficial support thread here as well as STEPS thread. (one link in my sig for aid). What is needed for basic MO use is..

MO instaled,

FNIS (insructions above)

You can then start using MO for Skyrim. Avoid Physics mods or Body Slide until you get a bit more comfortable with MO.

Well to be honest dude if i was to get my panties twisted it would be about you and the other person going "Nope no learning curve" when i said that would be the con of MO to then go to the above.

Also without being rude dude we both know their have been plenty of threads regarding how to use FNIS with MO, i do not use MO so i can not make a good guide to how to run it since i lack the application and i have seen you offering advise so i didn't think my request for you to add FNIS was such a big deal (considering this isnt even for my own benefit) so why the acting like i've asked for your first born child.

So can i accurately say how hard something is to use without having used it? No I can't

Can i say that I've seen plenty of people needing support on how to use it? Yes I can as can anybody who visits the support forums (which is what i said that you originally disagreed with)

Can i say that I've seen plenty of people needing support on how to use it? Yes I can as can anybody who visits the support forums (which is what i said that you originally disagreed with)

people need support to make a printer work, does that mean making a printer work is hard?

it just mean some are more stupid than others

my neightbour came some years ago because it don't print

he was stupid enought to not read the manual with the stupid tips

even thought he was stupid enought to not understand he had to branch the printer on the pc

the ones that fail because the don't bother with the readme with stupid tips, it's the same

5. Click OK.

MO instaled,

FNIS (insructions above)

Well to be honest dude if i was to get my panties twisted it would be about you and the other person going "Nope no learning curve" when i said that would be the con of MO to then go to the above.

Also without being rude dude we both know their have been plenty of threads regarding how to use FNIS with MO, i do not use MO so i can not make a good guide to how to run it since i lack the application and i have seen you offering advise so i didn't think my request for you to add FNIS was such a big deal (considering this isnt even for my own benefit) so why the acting like i've asked for your first born child.

So can i accurately say how hard something is to use without having used it? No I can't

people need support to make a printer work, does that mean making a printer work is hard?

it just mean some are more stupid than others

my neightbour came some years ago because it don't print

he was stupid enought to not read the manual with the stupid tips

even thought he was stupid enought to not understand he had to branch the printer on the pc

the ones that fail because the don't bother with the readme with stupid tips, it's the same

I wouldn't say stupid.. that is a bit harsh but still close to the truth. See most of the problems with MO is it has more steps than some of the "basic" mod managers. Just because so many have come with questions don't mean that it is hard.. just that it is a bit more complex than they are use to. Many are new members as well if you look at their post count and many of those are even new to modding.

The post and instructions that are available like the ones I shown above, are easy to follow and implement. So easy now .. I just copy and paste those instructions now when the question comes up. I have a link in my Sig that takes you right to the main page with loads of info. After the SKSE tutorial.. I don't make any more for MO.. It is very well covered. Reason for me not making a FNIS one. when requested ;).

So Pinky.. if the question comes up again.. basically because the members decide not to do a simple search to solve their own problems regarding something very basic and very well covered.. open my link and copy and paste the section that pertains to them.. Be a hero for them and do the basic search and tech support for them. You don't even have to use MO to do so..

http://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:Mod_Organizer

The above is the thread that covers all the basic setup and implementation of MO.. There is even a simple link "contents" navigator on the right side that can take you right to the spot that you need.

If there is something that isn't covered on that page. then yes.. perhaps they need to be directed to the unofficial support thread for added support as they might have an issue that needs some guidance. Bodyslide even though it has been covered many times can lead to messing up some stuff if not careful. Physics as well might require some added assistance along with some of the ENBs etc. More advance modding to get the best results from MO.

I have used both MO and NMM. MO is by far the better tool, but I agree with pinky. There is a pretty steep learning curve to MO that is just not there with NMM. NMM is by far the more user friendly of the two tools, that is it's only pro. What I tell people who are new to modding is starting with NMM, once they have mastered modding with NMM, then I suggest them moving onto MO. Since MO is easier to figure out once you have a very good understanding of modding.

When I first started modding everyone said use MO and I tired. I was new to modding and honestly was having a hard time figuring out how to even mod or trouble shoot and I was totally confused my MO. I ended up going to NMM after finding Gophers beginners guides to modding Skyrim and was able to get my game going with mods very quickly. After almost a week with MO trying and failing I got a game going with NMM the same day. Then after some months and feeling confident I tried MO again and found it a lot easier to understand the second time, but still a bit of a learning curve.

I have used both MO and NMM. MO is by far the better tool, but I agree with pinky. There is a pretty steep learning curve to MO that is just not there with NMM. NMM is by far the more user friendly of the two tools, that is it's only pro. What I tell people who are new to modding is starting with NMM, once they have mastered modding with NMM, then I suggest them moving onto MO. Since MO is easier to figure out once you have a very good understanding of modding.

It does help having a good understanding of Modding to use MO. NMM will help those that don't have that basic knowlege..however if they have patience a complete noob can get MO working quite well. If they are having problems post those questions on the MO thread and they can get help.. The link I gave gives a pretty good overview of MO and what it entails. If it is too much of a "learning curve" for a newer member.. They can know ahead of time and then move to NMM and use it instead. Gopher has tutorials for both r/t skyrim.

When I first started modding everyone said use MO and I tired. I was new to modding and honestly was having a hard time figuring out how to even mod or trouble shoot and I was totally confused my MO. I ended up going to NMM after finding Gophers beginners guides to modding Skyrim and was able to get my game going with mods very quickly. After almost a week with MO trying and failing I got a game going with NMM the same day. Then after some months and feeling confident I tried MO again and found it a lot easier to understand the second time, but still a bit of a learning curve.

Good statement from someone that is newer to modding. Those that read this.. check out that link in my sig and seriously review the steps there. If it is too much go to NMM get your game on.

I love MO and using it. It is great.. and those that think it isn't just look at the Poll above. ;). It is well worth the "learning curve" in its power and flexibility. Tannin is adding features and refining it constantly as well. However.. There are those that aren't interested in the "clean" data folder and really don't give a dam about conflicts overwrites and such and just want to get a few mods running in X game. NMM can and does do a good job at this. The draw back.. is eventually you would want to clean your game folder out because there are hidden conflicts or left over files and other "garbage" that gets into the game. Again many might not get this, others might get it more often. It varies.

If manual install or any other mod manager that adds folder to the game every needs to be cleaned it is a trivial task. If you know the files there.. just delete the files (loose folders primarily) that don't belong. If not deleted everything except the main DLC ESM's and BSA's. and re-verify through Steam.. That is it. If you use "cleaned masters" just make sure you have a copy of Skyrim ESM's and drag and drop back into the folder after re-verification. (Steam will replace them with dirty ones ;))

It took me about ten minutes and one Google search to run FNIS through MO. I was far from a power user at that point, in fact I still don't consider myself a power user when it comes to modding.

If that's a steep learning curve, I don't know what's easy.

Archived