The best mod managing tool for Skyrim

Nepro

What is the best mod managing tool for Skyrim?  

174 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best mod managing tool for Skyrim?

• Wrye Bash (http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/1840/?)
    • Nexus Mod Manager (http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/modmanager/?)
    • Mod Organizer (http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/1334/?)
    • Skyrim Mod Manager (http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/57044/?)
    • Other mod manager (please specificy in the post and I will add it to the poll)

So guys please write all pros and cons. I personally prefer the Wrye Bash because I stuck to it ever since I started playing modded Oblivion.

Wrye Bash

Pros:

-Native Bashed Patch support

-You see all files who get override in clear concise manner this applies to BSA files also

-Will tell you what plugins are dirty (mod checker)

-ghosting plugins

-Save manager as well

-INI edditing support

-Will tell you if you have error in load order

-Support external installation from other mod managing tools

Cons:

-Slow!!!

-Not many modders release their mod with BAIN Wizard support

-Sometimes you will need to unzip the mods and pack them again according to Wrye Bash liking

So guys please write all pros and cons. I personally prefer the Wrye Bash because I stuck to it ever since I started playing modded Oblivion.

Wrye Bash

Pros:

-You see all files who get override in clear concise manner this applies to BSA files also

-ghosting plugins

-Save manager as well

-INI edditing support

Cons:

-Slow!!!

-Sometimes you will need to unzip the mods and pack them again according to Wrye Bash liking

Mod Organizer has ALL of this, and on top of that!? It NEVER actually alters your Data folder, allowing to create TOTALLY different mod setups, and switch between them with a single click.

Pro - Mod Organiser makes swapping from a Save Profile that is for Your serious character, to a Save Profile that is useful for Mod Testing, to a Profile that is a BDSM Beastiality Simulator much easier than Wrye Bash and BAIN. It is literally a few Mouse Clicks.

Con - Mod Organiser has a certain way Utilities like FNIS need to be installed, and run.

I still use Wrye Bash to create My Bashed Patch, but I run Skyrim and add Mods through Mod Organiser nowadays.

Wrye Bash

Pros:

-ghosting plugins

-Save manager as well

-INI edditing support

Cons:

-Slow!!!

Mod Organizer has ALL of this, and on top of that!? It NEVER actually alters your Data folder, allowing to create TOTALLY different mod setups, and switch between them with a single click.

Pros:

• It also allows the user to launch programs to use and the resultant files will be stored in the overwrites folder for processing into MO. Want to use WyreBash for some reason.. just start it from MO.. More confortable with NMM.. same.. start it from MO.

Con

• can't control the files in the main Skyirm folder. (AKA enb presets, batch files etc) Currently these are loaded into the main folder. However chances are this will never change and no mod manager does this so .. not really fair con for MO.. :D
  • A slightly larger learning curve than say NMM use, but most likely on par with the learning curve for Wyre Bash.

I have never really used WyreBash so I am not fully aware of the power and tools it has. I have however used MO and am aware of many of the tools and tricks avalable and still learning.

Wrye Bash

Pros:

-ghosting plugins

-Save manager as well

-INI edditing support

Cons:

-Slow!!!

Pros:

• It also allows the user to launch programs to use and the resultant files will be stored in the overwrites folder for processing into MO. Want to use WyreBash for some reason.. just start it from MO.. More confortable with NMM.. same.. start it from MO.

Con

• can't control the files in the main Skyirm folder. (AKA enb presets, batch files etc) Currently these are loaded into the main folder. However chances are this will never change and no mod manager does this so .. not really fair con for MO.. :D
  • A slightly larger learning curve than say NMM use, but most likely on par with the learning curve for Wyre Bash.

I have never really used WyreBash so I am not fully aware of the power and tools it has. I have however used MO and am aware of many of the tools and tricks avalable and still learning.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/67077/?

You're welcome. Now come give me an anal probe ;) hehe

absolutely nothing of all the, I am my own manager. :lol:  ;) 

I install all my mods manually, and my experience gives me right.

in my game are 256 ESP \ ESM files, it is 61, 6 GB great and above all it works perfectly. :)

I've done the same myself. And while it does work, if you do it properly and don't experiment with mods, it's still a pain in the posterior region. I've also used NMM and it is quite limited plus has the ability to seriously break your game installation.

If you want the ability to have multiple playthroughs, be able to experiment with mods with no real damage while installing and uninstalling mods, and to keep your Skyrim/data folder clean and untouched, then Mod Organizer is the only real option. I wouldn't want to play Skyrim without it after using it for some time. It would feel far too limiting to not have it.

in my game are 256 ESP \ ESM files, it is 61, 6 GB great and above all it works perfectly. :)

YOu can do the same thing with MO. Install it manually folder wise in proper structure. then move them around .. remove them.. add them back and view all the conflicts which is impossible to do later after you installed into the main folder.

I do see where you are going and I agree manual has many advantages to those that understand it.. however one disadvantage is removing mods and its content (not so bad if you pack everything up into proper BSAs where possible which I suspect you do where possible) chasing down individual files .. a pain in the but.

Mo is the closest thing I can get to manual install without the pain in the ass removing the files. In fact the more you know about the files you are installing the better MO works.

Now I am not sure about any overhead since you are running right at the very top of the capabilities of the game engine. However I did have as many as 190 mods installed at once (when other managers only allowed 140 or so before issues) without any problems.. the reason I didn't go further was I didn't have any more mods to test. (proper non conflicting mod etc.) ;)..

I mention the above so the next time you reinstall or rework your Skyrim folder.. give it a try.. You might like it.. Many modders that use to manually install their mods (or at least some of their main mods.. you know what I am talking about) have tried it and started using MO for all their mod management.

Awfularchdemon is one example and he is the OP of the unofficial MO support thread here. Even some of the Sexout mod authors started using MO as well.

I've done the same myself. And while it does work, if you do it properly and don't experiment with mods, it's still a pain in the posterior region. I've also used NMM and it is quite limited plus has the ability to seriously break your game installation.

If you want the ability to have multiple playthroughs, be able to experiment with mods with no real damage while installing and uninstalling mods, and to keep your Skyrim/data folder clean and untouched, then Mod Organizer is the only real option. I wouldn't want to play Skyrim without it after using it for some time. It would feel far too limiting to not have it.

Of course experimenting I with different mods and hold my data folder clean.

it is sometimes very laboriously everything manually remove from the individual folder, but I know of it not differently.

and before I my Skyrim destroy, stay I at the what I can. ;)

MO is the best simply because your data folder stays crisp and clean as new. Even with cleaned ESMs you can just make a new mod for them and your game will still pass validation check. I think there is a bit of an issue though if you get near or above 400+ mod folders MO tends to lag a bit, but that's probably the same for everything.

Mod Organizer. Can be used in conjunction with Wrye Bash, leaves your game data folder untouched, has unmatched conflict detection, can detect conflicts within BSAs, has multiple game profile support, is fast, convenient, easy to learn, gets updated regularly and so on. The best mod manager I've ever seen.

Archived