ENBLocal.ini memory settings

I thought i knew what this should be but from reading in another thread it seems i don't, from the steps guide

VideoMemorySizeMb

This sets the total memory that will be used for the ENBoost dynamic memory allocation. All available VRAM, except for the amount set with ReservedMemorySizeMb, will be used first, and if VideoMemorySizeMb is set to a value higher than total VRAM of the user's videocard, then ENBoost will use system RAM, if necessary, by running instances of enbhost.exe. Users with 32-bit systems should set this parameter's value equal to the total VRAM of their videocard; this is the most stable value. However, users with 32-bit or 64-bit systems and less than 8GB of system RAM should use the formula: (VRAM + System RAM) - 2048. Users with 64-bit systems with equal to or greater than 8Gb of system RAM should use the formula: (Total Available Video/Graphics Memory - [170 (for win7) or 350 (for win8/10)). When calculating the value, it is not necessary to subtract the value set for ReservedMemorySizeMb, because ENBoost already takes it into consideration. If AutodetectVideoMemorySize is enabled below, this parameter is ignored. All values are in megabytes.

VideoMemorySizeMb=(1024, 2048, 4096...)

I currently have this set to the amount of ram present on my GPU (4 gig) but checking my memory i have

Capture.jpg

So from the formula i should be entering in a value more like 11862 for the VideoMemorySizeMb= line? (seems rather insanely high number so i'm thinking their might be a max value i should be using instead)

I thought i knew what this should be but from reading in another thread it seems i don't, from the steps guide

VideoMemorySizeMb

This sets the total memory that will be used for the ENBoost dynamic memory allocation. All available VRAM, except for the amount set with ReservedMemorySizeMb, will be used first, and if VideoMemorySizeMb is set to a value higher than total VRAM of the user's videocard, then ENBoost will use system RAM, if necessary, by running instances of enbhost.exe. Users with 32-bit systems should set this parameter's value equal to the total VRAM of their videocard; this is the most stable value. However, users with 32-bit or 64-bit systems and less than 8GB of system RAM should use the formula: (VRAM + System RAM) - 2048. Users with 64-bit systems with equal to or greater than 8Gb of system RAM should use the formula: (Total Available Video/Graphics Memory - [170 (for win7) or 350 (for win8/10)). When calculating the value, it is not necessary to subtract the value set for ReservedMemorySizeMb, because ENBoost already takes it into consideration. If AutodetectVideoMemorySize is enabled below, this parameter is ignored. All values are in megabytes.

VideoMemorySizeMb=(1024, 2048, 4096...)

I currently have this set to the amount of ram present on my GPU (4 gig) but checking my memory i have

Capture.jpg

So from the formula i should be entering in a value more like 11862 for the VideoMemorySizeMb= line? (seems rather insanely high number so i'm thinking their might be a max value i should be using instead)

I'm not sure when 7936-170=11862, or where you went to school that taught you how to subtract....

But simply put in your total available graphics memory - 170 if you have WIN 7 or 350 if you have Win 8/10

7936+4096-170=11862

So we just take what its showing in available and minus off the bit for win7 i take it

As we were adding VRAM to RAM for the peeps with less than 8 GB and they'd use the / and they didn't mean divide i wasnt sure

So for me the ini should be VideoMemorySizeMb=7766

7936+4096-170=11862

So we just take what its showing in available and minus off the bit for win7 i take it

As we were adding VRAM to RAM for the peeps with less than 8 GB and they'd use the / and they didn't mean divide i wasnt sure

No no no no. 

7936 is what you have available for graphics memory. That already includes the dedicated VRAM from your graphics card. If you add that in, you're overallocating, which is as bad as (if not worse) than UNDER allocating.

Found directly under your original quote on the S.T.E.P. guide to enblocal.ini

To find Total Available Graphics Memory in Windows 7 and 8:

1. Open the Control Panel and make sure it's sorted by "Category".
  2. Under Appearance and Personalization, click Adjust screen resolution.
  3. In the middle and right-hand side of the window, click the Advanced settings link.
  4. In the new window that opens, make sure the Adapter tab is the current tab.
  5. Under Adapter Information, look for Total Available Graphics Memory.

7936+4096-170=11862

No no no no. 

7936 is what you have available for graphics memory. That already includes the dedicated VRAM from your graphics card. If you add that in, you're overallocating, which is as bad as (if not worse) than UNDER allocating.

Found directly under your original quote on the S.T.E.P. guide to enblocal.ini

To find Total Available Graphics Memory in Windows 7 and 8:

1. Open the Control Panel and make sure it's sorted by "Category".
  2. Under Appearance and Personalization, click Adjust screen resolution.
  3. In the middle and right-hand side of the window, click the Advanced settings link.
  4. In the new window that opens, make sure the Adapter tab is the current tab.
  5. Under Adapter Information, look for Total Available Graphics Memory.

Yes i saw but i'm yet to see an example of this actually being used (or a thread with this question that doesn't devolve into bickering)

So with 7936 showing on total available graphics memory we take off -170 for win 7 as i have that and we stick in 7766 into the ini

Could i get a yes that is correct or a no that is incorrect and the maths showing why.

Cheers

It's simple logic. No math needed. 7936 is how much RAM is left over to handle graphics after subtracting the amount required to run Windows and other Essential applications. 

So. To Windows the 7936+3840=11776 is what Windows is reading as your available memory to Windows. Which is normally pretty close to your RAM + VRAM. Not exactly, because well... Windows is just retarded like that. 

So, lets say Win 7 needs 3.5gb to run, normally. If you have 12gb of RAM, subtract the 3.5 and you get 9.5gb. So you have 1.5gb left sitting there for other things to run on, stuff like Skyrim. Skyrim will use that 1.5 as needed, and as much as 3.1gb of RAM. Part of the reason for this setting is so that ENBHost can swap RAM back and forth from Skyrim's game engine, to graphics rendering, as needed.

Archived