Fluffy Lyakios Wolf tail mesh - Best way to rig HDT?

krittakitty

Hi All!

I'm the author of the "Lykaios Wolf Race", and I'm getting close to having the release of the newest version up and running.

BUT... before the big release is ready, I'm wanting to make a HDT option for the Lykaios Wolf tails so you can choose to use either the vanilla animated tail or the HDT version if you use HDT in your game.

So I have discovered that I totally suck at HDT and have NO idea what to do in order to export them successfully from 3dsmax.  I've gotten one into game and the HDT and collision is working, but for some reason despite my attempts to include in spine/pelvis weighting it won't anchor to the body and floats away when sitting, jumping or running.

I admit I don't understand enough about HDT to get this to work, but I'm hoping YOU (anyone!) does? Help would be much appreciated since as soon as this is working I get get on with finishing this damn mod

Here is a quick pick of the tail mesh in game (not the HDT one) Please forgive my horrible shadows and textures as I'm running a basic game since my PC is on the way out.  Thanks!!

(yes the body is HDT, and all 6 breasts and butt jiggle)
OwCkZvS.jpg

If you rigged it and it works like a default vanilla tail already, go to the Nexus,

get HDT Tails (the one that uses the xmls from Boomarrow and yoo) [http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/58165/?],

add the HDT Havok Paths from the HDT Tails, and remove the vanilla behaviour file path,

rename the node names in the mesh with nifskope to the HDT Tails ones (you can do that in the string table inside the header part).

Give your custom race an XPMSE2.5 skeleton (it works with olders also to lazy to look up the minimum^^).

=> Proffit, gg, Happy HDT.

If you rigged it and it works like a default vanilla tail already, go to the Nexus,

get HDT Tails (the one that uses the xmls from Boomarrow and yoo) [http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/58165/?],

add the HDT Havok Paths from the HDT Tails, and remove the vanilla behaviour file path,

rename the node names in the mesh with nifskope to the HDT Tails ones (you can do that in the string table inside the header part).

Give your custom race an XPMSE2.5 skeleton (it works with olders also to lazy to look up the minimum^^).

=> Proffit, gg, Happy HDT.

Brilliant! thank you! will give it a go and see how I fare. :D

Ok, so that didn't work very well. :/ maybe I used the wrong bone names or havok paths since now I am getting a paddle tail. Before after copying over the bone weights, havok paths and skeleton from an existing HDT tail I was at least getting some motion, but then there was the issue with Max not allowing me to assign weights to the pelvis/spine bones. NFI what I'm doing wrong, and my brain hurts.

I know I'm missing something rather important and obvious here. *headdesk* Will try again in the morning.

Make it in max like a vanilla tail,

When you add the xmls and remove the tail behaviour then you are changing the bone names.

Post the a tail that works with vanilla system and I do the hdtifing or give it to me in the IRC then you might get it quicker and some explaination.

Probably easier to send it to you if you're happy to help! I did remove the behavior graph data, rename the bones to HDT tail bone 01 (or what ever I thought looked right when looking at the other working HDT tail files) and copy over the havok path files. The only thing I can think of that is different is the bone names i used are incorrect.

I'll try once more with different bone names, then if I fail again will PM you a dropbox link with the vanilla weighted tail if you have messaging allowed.

Thanks for your help btw! :D

Archived