View File

while testing a mod in anvil i had enough seeing the npc falling to the water and after few days finding few dead npc in the water . or to see some npc walking for hours stuck in the stairs .

this mod adds 1 -fences in anvil dock for security . notice that i can not do anything for suicidal tendencies and they can in some places walk over and jump the fence into anvil see. i did not close the area, just to evoid most of accidents.

2 -stonesteps around the stairs to free some npc from walking like mad dogs .

this mod has normaly no conflicts in load order i have installed it just after dlc.esp

Oups i should say may conflict with anything that modify anvil dock !!!

• Submitter
  • Submitted
    04/02/2015
  • Category
  • Requires

Greetings.

Hi kingKong .

Non , no need to corrupt the Anvil Dock or " Anvil Bay" there are enough mods there ( especially mines    :D  to link me to Morroblivion or SoVvM br3 ...) ! 

So why not just remake the pathgrid ( and in water too ) correctly ? Mine never fall in water , i made another pathgrid a long time ago .

So , that's just an idea.

Cheers.

PS : no conflict , no conflict ... not quiet sure ,  sure it will conlict with mine and what about KrisTa's Anvil Mystery House ?... no conflict , sure  ?  ... ;°)

I put some houses there when i was looking for a solution to the " White bug " ( on animated body)

And i will not be able anymore to reach two other boats standing there ...so  i ,yes , but not my followers , they are stupid and cannot jump over your  " barricades"  .... ;°)

PPS : i was only joking , but that's trrue , there are already a lot of corrupted areas there .

Let's face it, Anvil Docks is one of the most screwed up, AI-unfriendly places in all of Oblivion. I tried multiple times to build a Mermaid related MOD there and after about a thousand new grey hairs finally gave up.

I like this work around though.  ;)  Sometimes you just have to get creative to overcome Bethesda design flaws.

You don't by chance have a mod like Alive Waters or any other mod that affects the behaviour of slaughterfish? These are KNOWN to bugger-up AI behaviour near water. They will choose swimming over walking.

I figured this out after watching the same AI silliness that you describe only with Bravil Docks. The pathing was fine. Detailed even. But the NPCs would end up in the water. Often drowning. I turned off 'Alive Waters' and voila. Everybody stayed dry.

When NPCs spawn in an area like on a boardwalk, there still seems to be a chance they'll spawn inside the mesh. This I couldn't fix...yet...lol.

DogOnPorch  thanks for informations .  I do have installed "alive water" and never noticed any difference with vanilla (to be honest never stayed more than a quest needed).

i do not advice to add or modify   ai behaviour    it can cause strenge side effects especially with a heavily modded oblivion (strings may be lost or conflict).

Annafly   you are right   i should say that it may conflict with anything that modify the dock shape.  i have omitted the existing mods.  and  you should train your followers to jump :exclamation:

varenne thanks.      this mod (hardly can say it is )  is just the easy way that can be modifyed by everyone (even a begginer to cs) by removing or adding gates and fence around  to adapt to any modification brought by any mod to the dock.

I use Alive Waters but have no Problems with AI/path grid in Anvil. NPCs have no Problems to find their way.

But the Problem DogOnPorch mentioned

post-3205-0-20766800-1428097960_thumb.jpg here on the pier/dock the NPCs sometimes are half sunken ( ony upper Body visible) or they are below the dock.

DogOnPorch  thanks for informations .  I do have installed "alive water" and never noticed any difference with vanilla (to be honest never stayed more than a quest needed).

i do not advice to add or modify   ai behaviour    it can cause strenge side effects especially with a heavily modded oblivion (strings may be lost or conflict).

I even built a fence of my own in a vain attempt to stop NPCs from walking off the pier. :D Try turning off "Alive Waters" and see what happens. As Fejeena mentions, this doesn't happen with everybody, it seems.

I didn't want the Better Cities version of Bravil Docks, so I built my own using the beta as a base to start from. This is how I ran into the issue.

http://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/10126/?

in my game the dogs saddenly vanish to appear 5/6 metters further . they evoid the water :D.       i have no problemes with dogs only npc  ; they always want to swim or they follow the side of the path to get stuck in corners ( and i did not install stupid npc  the game is delivered with a banch of them !)

i am going to try your mod  and test it when i am going to make a house mod in this are.

Another possibility I found was the pathing from one mod overwriting the pathing in Anvil Docks. With Bravil Docks, the culprit was Suliin Falls...a popular mod. It wiped-out a full one half of the path grid in the cells I was working on even though it was 'miles' (Oblivion miles) away.

i just read commentaries and download the mod .  i will try it later went i start my house mod  in bravil . i might do a houseboat like in anvil (same size but different interiors)

but it seams interresting !

I need to practice for a bit before becoming a contributor.

My latest pet peeve with TES Construction Set is wild edits appearing in places I've never touched. WTF is up with that? Must be a bug. :D

The asterisk (*) appears on a cell saying I edited it somehow...but no edit can be found.

Hi there.

Hi KingKong.

Do you use the Fast Travel ... i think the problem could be " there" !

I play in real time (Set timescale to 1 )  and i never use the Fast Travel option , so may be that's why i have no particular problem with the NPCs there.

But that's true there are already a few mods there , not only SOVvM Br3 or Anvil Mystery house ... i think it would be a good idea to modify the pathgrid  and to extend it to the water + one stair along the dock ( from water to the dock ...) like this if a " stupid" NPC fall in water he will be able to see the " way" ( pathgrid )  to the " stairs ".

I only use  custom mods , so except  4 or 5 , i have no problem because modst of the changes are mine and they are in my last mod ( in the  load order ).

Cheers.

In the Construction Set, you can check the box for an NPC to swim. Otherwise, they're SUPPOSED to stick to land paths. I tried the same thing you mention...path grides along the shore and stairs into the water.  It didn't work on mine.

But, be aware, Alive Waters and perhaps MMM uses added scripts in an attempt to make fish behave properly...well...more properly. These can have unpredictable effects as we all know.

My latest pet peeve with TES Construction Set is wild edits appearing in places I've never touched. WTF is up with that? Must be a bug. :D

The asterisk (*) appears on a cell saying I edited it somehow...but no edit can be found.

Greetings.

... " My latest pet peeve with TES Construction Set is wild edits appearing in places I've never touched. WTF is up with that? Must be a bug " ... you probably forgot to give a new ID to something you have duplicated.

There are a few usuless barells and containers ( falses containers) , so i 've remplaced them by mines ....  now, there are about +/- 1.200 new containers in about 240 places marked as " altered " ... that's not a bug or a mystake in my case but maybe you did the same thing by accident.

Cheers.

Annafly   i am a very lazy person ! with stairs (take more place and was my first chois) but it need to modify the shape of the docks . move the path grid and be 150% sure to have conflicts. and the fence is my most logic way , lazy way , easy way , less conflict way. 

for cs it happends  i usualy  look at the esp with tes4edit  and check pathgrid  and remove identical ref to master  it cleans what was add by cs identically.

Anvil Dock is not the only place I've seen NPCs falling/walking into the water, IC docks too.

And as far as Anvil Bay Mystery House MOD, I think it's fine where these fences and stone steps are as they are not near the house. Only issue with that MOD is the author put the house right on two cell borders, which I think/feel may be the final root cause of FPS issues with it.

Yeah, I've experienced that on occasion too. I think it's a CS/E memory leak, and more on the CS side of that equation. I don't think the Bethesda Developers ever contemplated the fan base ever taking Oblivion as far as we all have.

Something I recently discovered, you can gain better memory management in CS/E if you change it's properties from default to specifically WinXP. (I discovered it quite by accident while altering properties for my text editing tools.)

post-18672-0-16192000-1428107265_thumb.jpg

What I've noticed is as it is loading resources it will stop about midway or 50 to 60% at best, then report it's no longer responding. With this properties change resources load 100% every time. This may have a positive affect on those pesky mysterious edits showing up too.

Something I recently discovered, you can gain better memory management in CS/E if you change it's properties from default to specifically WinXP. (I discovered it quite by accident while altering properties for my text editing tools.)

What I've noticed is as it is loading resources it will stop about midway or 50 to 60% at best, then report it's no longer responding. With this properties change resources load 100% every time. This may have a positive affect on those pesky mysterious edits showing up too.

That's a great discovery - I've always been annoyed at that pause and this solves it completely. Thank you!