Bad Dog’s WIP Log

Bad Dog

Thanks. Found your guy. He's a new mesh on the falmer skeleton and he's in the DLC2 ESP. I'd been ignoring that, figuring I'd run through one and then the other. In fact he's just building on the goblin race he established in the first ESP, but there are some more "vanilla" goblins here--the heads without helmets are here, for example. So I'll probably do one of these and make it the default on my first pass through.

I'm bringing an older machine up to speed to continue this work. It's not quite as nice but it's smaller :-) . I'm just lucky I have it... might have given it to a kid or something.

Thanks for the good words... nice to know there's interest in this. I'm up and running on a backup machine, seems no worse than the other, really. And I tell you what, my main gaming laptop is, maybe was, an MSI Dominator and I'm now running on a crappy business Dell, and the screen on this thing blows the MSI's screen away. I don't think I'm buying them again.

Today, did a "chaurus warrior" and some beast skeletons.

I could have done the chaurus much like the dramen, but I decided an insect thing would carry his equipment inside:

tumblr_nllgroJMid1rctv3mo1_540.jpg

And bring it out for action. 

tumblr_nllgsaFXXK1rctv3mo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nllgswAvDD1rctv3mo1_1280.jpg

I might come back to those later and see if I can make the equipment more insectoid. For now, I'm going on.

Got some beast skeletons fitted out:

tumblr_nllggddA8u1rctv3mo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nllgfb1MxJ1rctv3mo1_540.jpg

tumblr_nllgfyeak91rctv3mo1_1280.jpg

Damn guards are just no help at all in an emergency.

I skipped some sort of skeletal vampire lord which was, like all of them, equipping clothes randomly. I'll come back and deal with them all later.

Next up: A million spriggans, some possibly based on giants. I'm not sure I can face a spriggan giant with a strapon. I'll decide what to do when I see them.

As always, if you can't see the pics here you can check them out on my tumblr. I'm not sure why there should be any problem, except that the tumblr is marked as adult. If fantasy monster creature sex can be called adult.  :blush:  If you're having problems maybe you need to go to tumblr and tell it you want to see the pics there. 

No dick pics today, sorry. The spriggan giant was a guy so I gave him a giant dick. Then I discovered about texture sets and thought that was going to be super cool. They let you have one nif file and load up different texture sets at run time. Well, it was super cool, except I couldn't quite get it working in TES5Edit so I loaded up the CK--which was a perfect bitch, as always, and did it there. And that was fine, and CK was some help in guiding me to doing it right. And then I save and quit and the CK removes all the masters from my mod and screws up all the formID references to anything that references anything that references one of those masters it ripped out. I spent a little time trying to repair that and then gave up and re-applied all the changes in TES5Edit and that worked.

So now I only need to create nifs for the nifs, not just for retexturing. Which will be good for doing different skins for the same race.

I also spent some time trying to give the giant spriggan a limp dick and crashed and burned on that. Once again, can't put a peen from one race on another.

Then I ran through a bunch of skeletons and some dwarven constructs. Some of those are based on flame atronachs and spriggans and might be animatable, but the PC would take the male part and frankly, the thought of sticking my dick in that machinery doesn't appeal. So I skipped them.

I can see the end of the list now. Maybe 20 left and like 5 of those are falmer variants and will be quick.

Woo... hairy day. And I don't mean the critters, it's all Dwemer today. I decided I should start using the CK because tho I like TES5Edit it doesn't actually help any with making the models, whereas the CK will show you what they look like and tie all the stuff together. I've been doing a million passes through T5E and the game itself only to find that I forgot some small stupid thing. I thought if the CK could find those for me, it would be a time saver in the end.

SO I hook up the CK to MO, run it, and it refuses to do anything. Oh yeah, turn on multiple masters. Still nothing. Oh yeah, add the esms to the ini file. OK it loads up my mod, I make some changes, and it craps all over the output. Every reference to the IC is borked, whether I touched it or not. And it's removed IC as a master to my mod. Crap, download Wrye Bash, make a copy of the IC esp files, make the copies masters, create a new fake mod in MO so I can switch the modified esps with the regular ones. Load up in CK, looks like all is well, make some changes, exit, look with T5E, the changes are gone. Do that once or twice, discover I have to do an explicit save. Finally get something that might be usable, load up in Skyrim, all my monsters have gone invisible. Get out, see that I haven't switched back from masters to regular esps so the loading order is funky, switch that, now it's all working. Dayum.

Here's proof, a Centurion Keeper:

tumblr_nlp66v82aS1rctv3mo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nlp677526M1rctv3mo1_1280.jpg

He doesn't play nice, but I sent his id to Ashal so maybe soon.

In other news, I learned how to create normal maps and how to manipulate shinyness. Woohoo.

There are at least 2 giant based spriggans to deal with, but both use the same race ID ( _00AncientSprigganRace ).

One is male and one female. You can find one near Anise's Cabin right by lake Inalta (or whatever it's called), just a short jog from Riverwood, there are also a few near Falkreath iirc

Keeper's and so forth look great so far, keep it up, but don't burn yourself out.

Another day, another dick.

CK is behaving, tho I'm having to get used to it. I'm having fun with normal maps, alpha channel. I'm starting to get familiar with the weirder parts of Skyrim's texture mapping. I took another look at the fire wolf and I think now I can probably do something with it on the second pass. 

Got a Dwarven Punisher going:

tumblr_nlr1deDcyf1rctv3mo1_1280.jpg

And go he does.

tumblr_nlr1e1cntz1rctv3mo1_1280.jpg

You can see in that picture that the dong doesn't quite fit right. I gave it an inside texture, which fixes most of the problem. Attaching it properly is for pass 2.

Thanks, guys. I'll have an alpha version out soon, only a few more races in this mod and the DLC2 esp doesn't have that many. My plan is, V0.1: all races that have sex animations have junk, but the junk may not be textured to match the owner's skin. V0.2: All skins match, but some of the meshes may not fit their parent creatures appropriately. V0.3: Fun cleaning up the meshes. V0.1 is a week or two out.

Nothing to show today. I spent way way way more time than i should have playing with normals. Turns out their are two ways to do the normals if you're not getting them from the mesh itself: make a bump map by hand, or make it from the texture. So I did both. Several times.

Thing is, this is the dwarven texture I'm using for the Keeper:

tumblr_nlus4bu9bT1rctv3mo1_540.jpg

Clearly those plates are meant to be riveted on the base, but the dark outline will translate into a groove, not a step. So I made a greyscale bump map to define the different surface planes:

tumblr_nlus98ch0L1rctv3mo1_540.jpg

The lighter areas are raised above the lower ones. So that was well and good, but the result is too flat and slick within the raised areas. I can make a normal that will have nice detail from the texture:

tumblr_nlusdfmpWe1rctv3mo1_540.jpg

But it's got no overall sense of depth. So I combined the two and got something I like:

tumblr_nlusgaE3Tf1rctv3mo1_540.jpg

Which is almost good, except it turns out that in game, it's the shaft of the thing you see most and I didn't do the bump shading for the detail in that area. I'm gonna go back and do that sometime.

Along the way I learned how to put more texture into the normal map. I did that for this guy:

tumblr_nluskvrYLc1rctv3mo1_540.jpg

And that looks kinda cool in game--really beat up. But way more beat up than the rest of the centurion, so I didn't go with it.

I've got some good creatures queued up but they aren't behaving themselves quite yet. Worst is I hit another of those damn draugr. So lifestorock at this point has decided it's better to have nude draugr and put armor on them through magic I haven't figured out. Which is and good, and SLNC ought to take it off for sexytimes, but doesn't. So I remember what lord-number-of-the-beast said and add the CF "normal" keyword to all their armor--and I have to add it to everything because I'm not sure what armor is being equipped in-game. And now the guy shows up and the armor is instantly stripped off him (? maybe SLNC doing the wrong thing?) and he's neutered underneath (even though I put man parts on the nude model) and won't get a boner. 

So I don't know what's up with that. I'm going to whack on it some more tomorrow.

**SNIP**

I've got some good creatures queued up but they aren't behaving themselves quite yet. Worst is I hit another of those damn draugr. So lifestorock at this point has decided it's better to have nude draugr and put armor on them through magic I haven't figured out. Which is and good, and SLNC ought to take it off for sexytimes, but doesn't. So I remember what lord-number-of-the-beast said and add the CF "normal" keyword to all their armor--and I have to add it to everything because I'm not sure what armor is being equipped in-game. And now the guy shows up and the armor is instantly stripped off him (? maybe SLNC doing the wrong thing?) and he's neutered underneath (even though I put man parts on the nude model) and won't get a boner. 

So I don't know what's up with that. I'm going to whack on it some more tomorrow.

That armor is pretty much done like any other armor, it just has different armor add-ons set for creatures races.  Sort of like how helmets are done for Khajiit and Argonians.  I'm pretty sure those sets have been added by SIC, and then had vanilla armor add-ons attached to them as well so that players can loot then wear them.

You can pretty much put armor on anything with the correct racial entries. Even naked bodies are actually put into the game as "armor".

...and that's another thing, the draugr armor seems to have human arms and legs, and I'm not sure how that even works. 

I'm seeing two versions of a lot of the armor in SIC--equippable and not. I'm thinking one is for the draugr and the other for people. But I think I saw the human arms on both... I'll double check.

When you look at armor in the ck, where the armor add-on shows there should be a box that says "show all" or some such.  If you tic that it should show a bunch more stuff.

The other stuff should cover the other races in it.  I think vanilla gloves/gauntlets play fine with skeletons and draugr already if I'm not completely mistaken though.

OMG, figuring out that draugr nearly killed me, but I think I got it. Here's my current understanding:

NPCs have skins, but they also can have default outfits. I suppose the skin should cover the whole body but the outfit can have a body too. An outfit has multiple armors, and an armor has one or more armor addons. One of the armors in an outfit can actually have a body skin defined within it. The body from the outfit overrides the body from the skin.

Also too, armors can actually refer to more than one armor addon for the same body part, and the armor addons can define which races can wear them. It seems like when the engine puts an armor on an NPC, it looks for the armor addons which fit that body and equips them. So in theory, I think I could define a "penis" armor which would then have a different armor addon for every race in SIC. The armor addons themselves can declare that multiple races can wear them. So if I have two lizardy things which share a skeleton and look similar, they could share a penis armor addon. 

The kicker is that I'm not going to be able to use this mechanism hardly at all. Lots of these races are different colorings of the same creature. Multiple colors = multiple skins but the same race, and the mechanism only distinguishes by race, not by skin. I haven't found a mechanism to load different elements based on the skin of the parent creature, not its race. So grump.

As for the draugr, they are doing all those things at once... and the same armor and body appears multiple times in the files in different configurations so I couldn't tell what I was working with. CK was some help here, because it gives you more of an indication of what you're looking at than TES5E does. In the end, the mesh itself was just the same old thing--body and armor in the same nif file.

Anyway, I got the bastid going:

tumblr_nlwnod1LJf1rctv3mo1_1280.jpg

And he undresses well:

tumblr_nlwnpe9Vwx1rctv3mo1_1280.jpg

Other creatures were essentially solved problems. We have a daedroth:

tumblr_nlwogcYf5Y1rctv3mo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nlwohldUhi1rctv3mo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nlwoiq1ssR1rctv3mo1_1280.jpg

And a draman brute:

tumblr_nlwokphVo41rctv3mo1_1280.jpg

I seem to have neglected to get a shot of him in action, but I assure you he's armed and ready.

Progress looks great!

A thing though, a skin can change the color of what gets equipped.  

For instance, I use an edit of a mod called UC or Unique Character.  So when I equip an armor on my tattoo'ed thief (that's skin texture not an overlay from RM) that tattoo shows up under my armor but not on other people.  When my vampy mage equips stuff there is no tattoo's since she doesn't have any. My mods or load order do not change between characters.

It's done with texture sets, and texture set swap lists.

Basically the player, and player vampire characters have been put onto different swap lists from regular npcs.

I'm not 100% sure on how they work enough to set them up myself as of yet however.

Working with texture sets can dramatically shrink your mod size since you only need one mesh to do the work of a whole bunch of them.

Two mods you could look at for that are Unique Character, for obvious reasons.  This mod gives the player their own "skin".

Another would be Calyps' Imperial Investigator.  This one is a good example as well, you can see where in the earlier versions Calyps hadn't figured out texture sets yet, so all of the armor/boots etc is multiple meshes. However when they released the dust cloaks for it, that part was all done with texture sets. It makes it easier to see where the changes were made.

Wasn't Unique Character taken down from Nexus? I used to run it all the time back when I was trying to make a tiger Khajiit PC texture. I probably still have a copy here somewhere.

I'm planning on using texture sets a bunch on the next pass, but I don't know about a texture set swap list, unless it's just the ARMA specification of a different texture set. Is that it, or is it something new?

No Idea if it's still on nexus or not, but anyway...

I had to go double check that, and UC looks to be just using texture sets from a peak with tes5edit.

Now I have no idea where the heck I saw the swap list thing...   bizarre I blame lack of sleep.

I've been sorta wondering how UC worked... the mod was pretty much abandoned and I was thinking about refurbishing it.

I did a bunch of falmer today, who turned out to be female. Watch out guys, the dungeons are no longer safe.

tumblr_nlycalcU6L1rctv3mo1_1280.jpg

I tried to get an angle that would show there really is texture on that thing, but pretty much didn't. 

And I feel like a dope now... I spent a bunch of time getting the panties off the texture and the panty line off the normal and now I realize I could easily have repurposed them as the strap of the dildo. Oh, well. Didn't.

Except for cleanup, I'm done with the first DLC. There's not much in the second--a bunch of things based on the werewolf model is about all. I'll finish those and do some cleanup, then release it.

I just discovered today that the giant spriggans have both male and female models. Since they're based on the giant skeleton, I assume the females will take the male role. Ouch. Maybe I can steal a fencepost or something for them to use as a strapon.

There are a bunch of Chaurus Crawlers based on the spider skeleton which I'm going to skip. Trouble is their abdomen is carried much higher than the spiders', so the prick floats out in the air and looks stupid. When I can (3rd pass) I'll give them proper chaurus equipment.

I spent a little more time with the fire wolf, but there's something weird with it. In nifskope it seems to be double size, but not in game, and if I line up the sheath in nifskope it floats in the air in game. But I did get it to load--then I did the erect version and CTD. So I'm skipping it for now too.

I briefly looked at the next esp. Lots of things that don't animate--mounted goblins, which don't dismount, a durzog based on a boar, etc. Shouldn't take too long.

Here's the latest work:

tumblr_nm04zoX90d1rctv3mo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nm050amYtG1rctv3mo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nm050x2sIc1rctv3mo1_1280.jpg

None of my action shots came out today, not sure why.

Archived