Followers initiative

mimichacha

I like followers and expect them to be more helpful. Hence their lack of initiative bothers me a lot.

Followers never initiate a fight when enemies are in range. In rare occasions, followers may engage enemies immediately after the fight starts. But in most cases, followers just stand still and completely ignore the incoming enemies, until they are hit.

I've increased the aggression level of followers and even enabled the aggro radius behavior on them, doesn't help at all.

Is there anyway to fix this? I really want my followers to handle all enemies for me:)

• 4 weeks later...

I'm trying to do the same thing, so you've actually done some of the leg work for me. ;P

My plan for my ranger buddy was to set his aggro radius super high so he'd always be chasing down wolves somewhere, rather than being chained (and useless) to my ankle.

Increasing their aggression always caused problems for me without also triple checking local factions, too. Even a seemingly neutral follower with any sort of raised aggression will start knifing everyone in the tavern it seems. :( I'm going to play around with radius, factions and some ai packs in a bit and will let you know what I learn from it. Other than that, I'm in the same boat as you. :T

UPDATE: Well, after setting aggro radius to 2500, bravery to Foolhardy, aggression to Very Aggressive and adding appropriate factions, I got a nice NPC who will hunt every deer or wolf within a mile of him. Unfortunately, once hired he stops doing all of it and reverts to the usual follower ai, only hitting things after they bite one of us on the butt. :/

Serana seems ultra aggressive around wolves and such, but I don't want to add DLC requirements to my mod just to check her faction. 

We're probably out of luck without some kind of scripting or fancy packages, both of which are beyond my skill level.

Perhaps a future creator's project could be to write a framework addressing this problem. A package inclusion that could be linked to the follower with a simple script (Edit: actually just assigning the package would be sufficient - derp). It's beyond my abilities at the moment, and also too much of an aside from my own current mod efforts and blog.

My best guess is that the package would require scripts to check the PC faction, then run LOS comparisons within a pre-determined radius for conflicts before assigning a responsive course of action for the follower. Conditions would also have to be included for stealth, etc.

Archived