Oblivion NIF - Wrong file version

JRCosta

Hi there.

A fellow modder is trying to use a nif created to working in Skyrim (static assets) to use in Oblivion, but he is facing a "Wrong nif version"  when using in the Construction Set.

Can anyone point me to a tutorial or a guide about converting nifs to work in Oblivion and/or how to solve this nif version issue.

Thanks! 

A quick Google search yields the follow: oblivion to skyrim nif converter

Top hits: 

Gauging Interest: Automatic nif converter (Oblivion to Skyrim, Fallout to Skyrim)

Converting Oblivion .nif to Skyrim .nif

This one looks promising: Creating an armour for Skyrim. Part 1 (This is telling you how to make a skyrim armour, but in the process you're converting to oblivion format.)

And this one too: Blender Import with Skyrim Nif files by deedes

There are a number of other links with activities outside of LL going on around this topic. See the search link above.

You'll also find that topics much like this one are typically located in the Modders Resources forum too.

No, actually you did. (Both Google search strings produced nearly the same results) If you review those links both directions are discussed and what it entails; From Oblivion to Skyrim, From Skyrim to Oblivion, etc. Oblivion to Skyrim being the more common conversion path. 

From what little I read on some of those links it entails learning to use more than just NifSkope. Either 3dsMax or Blender will also be needed.

Greetings.

Hi Varenne.

Hi & @ JRCosta.

I think it would be better to share this " wrong" static mesg ... like this some of us 'll be able to check it and probably found the wrong setting ...

Maybe not me ( because i don't have Skyrim on this machine so it's not so easy to compare the 2 different versions )  and most of all , i don't play ( and do something ) Skyrim anymore since a few months , and it's painful to switch bettween these two games just for a simple mesh ... Oblivion and Skyrim modding looks close , but at the first view only ,  so after a feww week without donig something for one of these games , you 'll loose some " knowledges " ... unfortunately.

Maybe NifSkope would not be enough , but you can do and repair a lot of things with this great tool.  

Cheers.

Yes, that was my first idea but I don't have Oblivion installed so I could't test it myself. As it is a "Wrong nif version" could be a common error or so.

I'm going to ask for the converted file then, I know it is a port from this MOD

Yes, that was my first idea but I don't have Oblivion installed so I could't test it myself. As it is a "Wrong nif version" could be a common error or so.

I'm going to ask for the converted file then, I know it is a port from this MOD

Hi .

Sorry , check your link " MOD" please.

I cannot open it with IE9 or FireFox  ( W7-64 bits ) ...

Cheers.

if the file.nif has the "wrong file version"   you need to open a good nif any file.nif  and delete all what is Inside or keep only the skeleton than import by copy&past the meshes.

(it is the easyest way i know , the other way is to go in the file details and try to find any number that is not corresponding to the version )

if the file.nif has the "wrong file version"   you need to open a good nif any file.nif  and delete all what is Inside or keep only the skeleton than import by copy&past the meshes.

(it is the easyest way i know , the other way is to go in the file details and try to find any number that is not corresponding to the version )

Hi KingKong , glad to see you in this topic ...

You are probably talking about something like this , right ?

http://www.darkcreations.org/forums/topic/4457-exporting-models-from-blender-to-skyrim-because-all-the-other-tutorials-are-missing-something/        ... first  second  Screenshot/picture

That's the first point i was thinking about but without the mesh , that's just a possibility , nothing else.

Cheers.

I've just noticed that I've write the error message wrong: it is "wrong nif version", not "wrong file version".

The mesh is a static (a throne with swords like the game of thrones), didn't have any skeleton attached.

it does not matter  as it is the same !

you need to open a file.nif  with the correct Heather and version and dates and numbers  for the game it is supposed to be.

you open than the problematic file  and you copy and past branch the bhkcollisionobject, nistringextradata and the nitistrip/shape to the first .

than you add an estra data node  " bsx flags".

ps :  note that if the file is not already converted it is better to import the file with blender/3dsmax. place it correctly,  than make the collision object  than export it .

it does not matter  as it is the same !

you need to open a file.nif  with the correct Heather and version and dates and numbers  for the game it is supposed to be.

you open than the problematic file  and you copy and past branch the bhkcollisionobject, nistringextradata and the nitistrip/shape to the first .

than you add an estra data node  " bsx flags".

Thanks, going to past this information :)

I need to get Oblivion... probably at Steam sale on June ^_^  

a little doubt..........          is the file already converted  ???                 if not you have to convert it  through blender/3ds following the normal process

http://www.loverslab.com/topic/16198-porting-meshes-from-skyrim-to-oblivion-using-blender/

and for collisions objects

http://niftools.sourceforge.net/wiki/Blender/Collision

if  it is already converted and has the "wrong nif version"  than you follow my cheat.

Archived