Swimming with armor and 300 pounds of gear

wr1

So, for me, one of the most laughable things about Skyrim is how you can jump into a deep, swift river with armor and 300 pounds of gear and swim across with no problems.  I understand why they designed the game that way, but of all the things that hurt "verisimilitude" surely that has got to be a big thing.

The other thing that looks weird is when you can be on a horse wearing metal armor and the horse is swimming with all this stuff on his back.

Are there any mods that prevent you from being able to swim if you're wearing armor, or if you have a lot of inventory, or anything like that?

Well,the modern US Military (well,at least the Marines,Navy and Army.) do indeed train their recruits to be able to swim in over 100 pounds of armor,it isn't really the go-to choice if it can be avoided.

Followers such as Vilja do address this by automatically un-equipping their armor when swimming across larger bodies of water but if that isn't enough,there is the Better Swimming mod that gives penalties for swimming in full armor.

if you lay so much value on reality, (I incidentally also), then look at you this once! :lol:

skyrim-buster-sword-gameplay.jpg

http://static-3.nexusmods.com/15/mods/110/images/27463-1-1354639434.jpg

http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/skydb-mod/imgs/5/7/576918d4.jpg

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/FNKiZrRtyPs/maxresdefault.jpg

but there are still "bigger" swords. no normal human could lifting such a sword, let alone since with fight. :lol:

edit: in Oblivion there was a mod, if your character went into the water, the clothes were removed automatically. ;)

Well. when you take off your armor where does it go? You still wont get any realism because it's not like you can drop all your inventory somewhere swim somewhere and effectively finish a quest or whatever.

I think a more "realistic" option would be to only carry what you could in real life. like one set of armor, two weapons, 2 torches, a few potions, some food, and have a backpack to explain how you carry all this stuff. Then get some bridge mods that add makeshift walk ways to the ponds out there and never go swimming. And when you're required to go under water, you could put your stuff in a nearby barrel or whatever is around and come back for it.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/60620/?this one adds a bunch of different bridges to the game that make sense for their location. A bridge built by bandits is going to be crappy and makeshift while Imperial ones will be nice and sturdy.

Personally, I just use AH Hotkeys to quickly take off and put on armor sets. When I have to swim, I get naked and swim and just pretend I left my stuff somewhere if I have to go underwater. Then I put it back on even though I technically left my armor somewhere lol. I might consider getting the bridge mod myself though. I don't tend to wear heavy armor and go for cloth anyway, so I can probably get away with just a backpack.

Yes while I appreciate those who try to mod a bit of reality into Skyrim (like making cold matter, as well as food and rest), for me there's a point at which I feel that I need to just step back and accept that this is a fantasy. Lack of realism abounds, but it does so in the name of keeping things fun. For example, do you want to need several weeks/months of rest whenever you get injured to heal broken bones, lacerations, etc? No of course not! 

I'd never stop anyone from modding their game into being as realistic as possible if that's what is fun for them, but just be careful, because you can drive yourself crazy with this line of thinking. Try to keep in mind that although doses of realism really help with immersion in a game like this, fun trumps and there can be a point where you get so bogged down in reality that you can't actually play the game. ^_^

Yes while I appreciate those who try to mod a bit of reality into Skyrim (like making cold matter, as well as food and rest), for me there's a point at which I feel that I need to just step back and accept that this is a fantasy. Lack of realism abounds, but it does so in the name of keeping things fun. For example, do you want to need several weeks/months of rest whenever you get injured to heal broken bones, lacerations, etc? No of course not! 

I'd never stop anyone from modding their game into being as realistic as possible if that's what is fun for them, but just be careful, because you can drive yourself crazy with this line of thinking. Try to keep in mind that although doses of realism really help with immersion in a game like this, fun trumps and there can be a point where you get so bogged down in reality that you can't actually play the game. ^_^

^ This

Myself, I am using a couple of realism mods, such as RND and Bathing in Skyrim. Because those are fun and add some interesting mechanics to the game without being a total pain in my behind.

Carry weight on the other hand I tend to solve with  player.modAV carryweight 1000

Why?

Because In video games, inventory management is about is unfun, dull and boring as it gets. I don't care if I am carrying the equivalent of a Walmart's warehouse in my pocket. Because the alternative is staring at my inventory for hours, trying to make decisions what item to keep or store, dump or sell - just to get the total weight under the number of what I can carry. Did I mention it's unfun, dull and boring?

Whenever I play, I do so but with a dose of suspension of disbelief. I'd rather enjoy skewering several bandits than to worry shit about how much I need to carry on a long-ass hike across three holds; to me, Skyrim ain't Hiking Simulator 2000.

Well,the modern US Military (well,at least the Marines,Navy and Army.) do indeed train their recruits to be able to swim in over 100 pounds of armor,it isn't really the go-to choice if it can be avoided.

Followers such as Vilja do address this by automatically un-equipping their armor when swimming across larger bodies of water but if that isn't enough,there is the Better Swimming mod that gives penalties for swimming in full armor.

Modern armor only covers the torso and the head. The medieval stuff is on the limbs and speaking from doing reinactment it is shocking how much just 5lbs on the end of your limbs adds to the effort of just walking. One of my friends tried swimming in his gear once and only got two feet before sinking lol

There is a real life account of Polish knight swimming the Daubine after the Battle of Nicopilis in 1396 and and Ebony armor would roughly be equal to the rig he would have worn.

Archived