Someone explain forum culture to me :s

pink

So I've been spending way too much time I should be working on my thesis right now browsing various Oblivion-related forums with my trusty Google translator by my side. A few things I've noticed, which confuse me greatly, and admittedly not being a part of any European game modding community either means I don't know if these are Japanese/Chinese-specific, or things modders do in general. Thus, I wonder if someone could shine some light on these phenomena:

• Some threads - a sizable proportion of threads with original content - require you to not only register but post n replies before you see more than a teaser of the post content;
  • Apparently, on at least three of the big modding forums I've been on (two are Chinese and the third Japanese) you collect forums coins of some sort or other (by unknown means, though it probably involves real money) and even viewing some threads requires these coins;
  • A hugely common thing is to

1. [li]Make mod
  2. Make post about mod
  3. Post show-off pictures of mod
  4. ?
  5. Profit.

[/li]

[*]Using imageboards for pretty much everything (ie not limited to posting images). I can understand using one for something like /b/, but if you think about it I think you will agree that it's a pretty bad and clumbersome way of putting content online.

Has anyone else ran across this? Maybe this is common among modders and artists, and I'm simply damaged by the FOSS way of looking at things :-[

Some threads - a sizable proportion of threads with original content - require you to not only register but post n replies before you see more than a teaser of the post content;

I think most forums are fed up with Trolls. And not to mention if  they have adult mods or other stuff. They protect them selfs against the law.

See once you register you agreed to there rules. If for some reason you don't follow them that forum won't won't get into trouble because of it. Let's say if the forum did not have any registration and you as an underage started to download there stuff. That forum would be in serious trouble. Now you registered as an underage even if the forum says you need to be adult first the fault will be placed on you. Or your parents for giving you internet.  ;D

Also most forum would like people who register to be more active. If everyone only comes to download alone and never participate the forum itself would look really dead. There is no reason to keep forum like that open for long. Better pleace 1 page with links and you would have accomplished the same.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived