Sound Not Playing During Custom Animation

I'm trying to add sound (simple, short singing) when a certain idle animation is triggered.  The animation contains the 'soundplay' tag and the associated plugin contains the Sound Descriptor linking to the sound file that is suppose to play during the animation.

I'm using FNIS 5.2.

WAV file: 44100 sampling, 16-bit mono.

The animation works, the problem is getting the singing to play along with the animation.

Anyone can shed some light on the matter?

TIA.

I'm trying to add sound (simple, short singing) when a certain idle animation is triggered.  The animation contains the 'soundplay' tag and the associated plugin contains the Sound Descriptor linking to the sound file that is suppose to play during the animation.

I'm using FNIS 5.2.

WAV file: 44100 sampling, 16-bit mono.

The animation works, the problem is getting the singing to play along with the animation.

Anyone can shed some light on the matter?

TIA.

Hi, if your animation is a replacer like walking, running, attacking etc when you've your annotation in the animation file, sounds should play accordingly.

However; if that's a completely new idle animation, annotations won't work by simply adding them on the animation file. I've asked it fore before and he was working on it back in tim. Now, new FNIS release has a feature by which you can add animation events including soundplay. But you need to do it in your mod's FNIS behaviour file. I tried it a while ago and I was able to make it work. You can find more info about how you add it on the behaviour in fore's page. 

Greeting bahow,

Thank you for responding.  I'm working with a custom idle animation.  I looked at the FNIS modder's documentation (the FNIS page does not go into details) and tried editing the idle anim list based on what Fores explained for paired animations and killmoves.  Even though I can generate the behavior files, the sound did not play during the animation.

What exactly did you do to get your animation to trigger soundplay?

Greeting bahow,

Thank you for responding.  I'm working with a custom idle animation.  I looked at the FNIS modder's documentation (the FNIS page does not go into details) and tried editing the idle anim list based on what Fores explained for paired animations and killmoves.  Even though I can generate the behavior files, the sound did not play during the animation.

Yeah, I don't think fore added a modder documentation for FNIS 5.2 yet. There is a note about new additions in description though which briefly tells how to use sounds in animations. This is how I made it:

For example you have an animation called "MyAnim" with the same name as animation file. Let's say it's a basic cyclic animation and you want to play a sound at 1.5 sec mark called "MySound". In the "FNIS_YourMod_List" file you need to write:

b -TSoundPlay.MySound/1.5 MyAnim MyAnim.HKX

Let's say it's a acylic animation with an animobject which has nif file called "MyAnimObject"

o -a,TSoundPlay.MySound/1.5 MyAnim MyAnim.HKX MyAnimObject

You got the idea. I never tried paired animations or killmoves, but it shouldn't be different. 

Also important; your sound (MySound in example) needs to be defined in CreationKit as a SoundMarker if it's custom. (with the same name). (Object Window-> Audio->SoundMarker)

Greeting bahow,

Yeah, I don't think fore added a modder documentation for FNIS 5.2 yet. There is a note about new additions in description though which briefly tells how to use sounds in animations. This is how I made it:

For example you have an animation called "MyAnim" with the same name as animation file. Let's say it's a basic cyclic animation and you want to play a sound at 1.5 sec mark called "MySound". In the "FNIS_YourMod_List" file you need to write:

b -TSoundPlay.MySound/1.5 MyAnim MyAnim.HKX

Let's say it's a acylic animation with an animobject which has nif file called "MyAnimObject"

o -a,TSoundPlay.MySound/1.5 MyAnim MyAnim.HKX MyAnimObject

You got the idea. I never tried paired animations or killmoves, but it shouldn't be different. 

Also important; your sound (MySound in example) needs to be defined in CreationKit as a SoundMarker if it's custom. (with the same name). (Object Window-> Audio->SoundMarker)

Perfect.  :cool:

Yes, I never got to making a 5.2 doc. But I promise there will be one for 5.3, presumably in April.

btw.

Soundplay is NOT a matter of animation replacers or not. Most standard animations have their soundplays defined in the behavior, and not in the animation files. In particular all the attack animation have behavior based soundplay. And for these an animfile soundplay does not work.

My (untested) assumption is that animfile soundplay is only implemented for those cases where animations are triggered by animation variables (as opposed to animation events). These are all the different walk/run animations, and the turns. 

I edited the animation list as instructed and the sound does not play during the idle animation.  Is it because the idle is composed of 2 different animations and the sound is set up to work on only one?

If you do like bahow said it will work. Did you test it with one of CK's vanilla sounds? If this works then it's a matter of your sound file.

I have several examples running in my test mod. For example one with the following trigger parameter:

-TSoundPlay.NPCHumanBlacksmithHammer/0.9

I'll try that right now.

UPDATE

Swapped my sound file with one from the vanilla game and the results are unchanged.

I have noticed that since creating the new behavior file to trigger soundplay, the game now crashes during the animation that was suppose to play the sound.

I'll try that right now.

UPDATE

Swapped my sound file with one from the vanilla game and the results are unchanged.

I have noticed that since creating the new behavior file to trigger soundplay, the game now crashes during the animation that was suppose to play the sound.

Did you try EXACTLY this parameter I wrote? And no file swapping or whatsoever.

When this works with vanilla sound file and sound descriptor, then start using your file. And CTD can be caused by bad soundfiles. At least I know that from Oblivion.

Archived