Requesting Help With Better Vampires and Making Vampire NPC's

Lycanthrokeith

Hello all.

I have zero experience making mods of my own, but I have some experience installing them. Lately I've had some trouble with Better Vampires; specifically, the ability to sire new vampires.

In addition to Better Vampires 6.6, I'm also using:

BVFE - Serana and Family - BVFE - Serana CBBE Glow

BVFE - Better Vampire Fangs and Eyes - Better Vampire Fangs and Glowing Eyes

UFO - Ultimate Follower Overhaul

All of these are ahead of Better Vampires in the Load Order.

So basically, when I use Praestare Sanguinare to turn a feeding victim, one of three things happen to them, appearance-wise. Either they stay exactly the same, they gain the glowing eyes-fangs-vampire appearance, or they gain vampire traits but look like some Buffyverse ugly as sin horror (this happens to Lydia every time). Changing their race through the race.vampire command in the Command Line doesn't help.

In addition, if I was in battle with the NPC, my Followers or the new vampire (who is supposed to obey me) will renew the conflict and continue to attack each other.

For Lydia, the one response I received was this:

"lydia is hideous because you changed her appearance by turning her into vampire you will have regenerate her facegen files through CK to make her normal again. mods that changes appearance of NPC always comes with their Facegen files regenerated."

None of that makes any sense to me. If someone could be so kind as to take pity on a non-modder who only wishes to have a vampire army, even just a direction to a tutorial to fix this problem, I would be most appreciative.

Thank you very much in advance for any help.

post-396483-0-31320700-1424958747_thumb.jpg

post-396483-0-80974400-1424958747_thumb.jpg

post-396483-0-71467700-1424958748_thumb.jpg

post-396483-0-71662000-1424958749_thumb.jpg

post-396483-0-71607600-1424958750_thumb.jpg

post-396483-0-71515600-1424958751_thumb.jpg

post-396483-0-71496800-1424958752_thumb.jpg

post-396483-0-71506900-1424958753_thumb.jpg

Not sure if it can help but to modify vamps faces to ultra ugly to seductive you need to change : the face textures (located in data/textures/actors/character/female, files like femalehead.dds have to be duplicated and rename the second one to femaleheadvampire.dds), this will avoid the ugly bat-like textured face. If it's a custom follower the files are in data/textures/actors/<nameofthefollower>

About the tri file it's in fact the file that defines how the face will be changed when you turn into a vampire, they are located in the meshes/actors/character folders (where you add the bodies mod etc).

Not sure if you mentionned it but go download the mod no sunken cheeks for vampires, it fixes the ugly faces, not 100% sure it works on npcs but it should.

That's all I can think of right now, maybe someone else can give you a better advice on this but I hope I helped.

Not sure if it can help but to modify vamps faces to ultra ugly to seductive you need to change : the face textures (located in data/textures/actors/character/female, files like femalehead.dds have to be duplicated and rename the second one to femaleheadvampire.dds), this will avoid the ugly bat-like textured face. If it's a custom follower the files are in data/textures/actors/<nameofthefollower>

About the tri file it's in fact the file that defines how the face will be changed when you turn into a vampire, they are located in the meshes/actors/character folders (where you add the bodies mod etc).

Not sure if you mentionned it but go download the mod no sunken cheeks for vampires, it fixes the ugly faces, not 100% sure it works on npcs but it should.

That's all I can think of right now, maybe someone else can give you a better advice on this but I hope I helped.

Thank you for responding! I hope you don't mind a few related questions, just so I'm clear.

I checked out the No Sunken Face mod, but it seems to only work for PC's.

Are the changes you mentioned something I can do simply in Explorer within the folder, or is it done through the Creation Kit?

I found a few things related to Serana in the folder you mentioned (images below). If I wanted to make a turned female look like her, am I using those values for the character?

I'm guessing this works best if Lydia is a vampire first? I didn't see a folder specifically for her under Meshes>Actors; do I need to make one for her, or is this done through Creation Kit?

Also, would this let me customize an NPC with a general name (if I turned a random Bandit, for example) without affecting every other Bandit in the game?

Thanks again for the help.

post-396483-0-14438500-1425208268_thumb.jpg

post-396483-0-87750100-1425208268_thumb.jpg

post-396483-0-88280500-1425208269_thumb.jpg

Everything can be fixed in Explorer. No Sunken Face doesn't work for NPCs, I think, this is linked to the fact that when you create an NPC their faces are exported in the meshes folder (under Actor/Character/FaceGen, same goes for custom followers. You can edit vamp face/eyes but if you got a customized Serana the changes aren't supposed to change her (since the FaceGen will refer to other specific textures and not the one the original character used).

But the modder of Better Vampires said that when you turn someone into a vampire, they might look ugly and there's more chances if they have a custom face installed from what I read.

You could try to set Lydia's race as Nordracevampire and reshape her ugly face on CK then CTRL+F4 (when you select her name on the list) to export her modified face but I'm not sure if it's worth it.

I'll have to give this a go at some point. In the meantime, I turned Lydia. No matter what she looks like, she's been loyal, and she's earned it. Plus, I didn't want to continue with the Dawnguard vampire side Main Quest while dragging a walking blood bag into the castle.

Thanks for the assist.

Archived