Flags - Placeable Map Markers [FONV - TTW]

View File

-----------------
Description
-----------------
Flags is a small mod I did the past days using some map marker functions of Lutana plugin. If you own the miscellaneous item "Flag pole" (introduced by this mod), then a new option under the Apparel pipboy section will appear, named "[Place flag]". This option grants you the possibility to plant a flag on the ground. A new map marker will appear in that location and you will be asked to put a name for it. To avoid excessive spam of markers, there's a condition which says that another map marker can't be closer than 3000 units.

After your flag is on the ground, you will be able to interact with it, clicking on its pole. You will be able to rename the map marker, change the icon on the pipboy, change the banner on the flag (see below), remove the flag and check how many flags are avaiable.

To obtain flag poles, you can craft them at the workbench, but the recipe will appear only if you own the book "You're C.A.R.P.E.N.T.E.R." in your inventory.

Everything you need to start using this mod is located south of Goodspring, inside a buried building, near the place where Barton Thorn asks you to kill geckos. However there's a "Cheat Trunk" that you can enable via MCM or console, it will spawn a chest with all the items in front of Chet's shop in Goodspring.
(note: after enabling the cheat flag, if the chest doesn't spawn, it could be necessary to save / reload or fast travel somewhere / back)

--------------

An unmarked buried building south of Goodspring, near the place where you need to kill geckos for Barton Thorn. It was once a workshop used by carpenters to craft things. In this place you can achieve the book "You're C.A.R.P.E.N.T.E.R." which allows you to craft the new items. If you go there by night, it's very dark and somewhat scary. If you have a follower, probably it won't follow you down there, they'll remain outside and laugh because you felt down inside the building. Not a big deal, it's just a couple of rooms, you probably will remain alone for no more than 25 seconds, don't be sad!

--------------
Banners:
--------------

When you first plant a flag, it will have a black banner, but you can change it choosing from a small list of factions. It is mainly aesthetic, but it could be used to gain an extra buff if you enabled the Buff option inside the MCM. Different faction >>> different buff.
On MCM there's also an option to visualize the buff effect: the ones affected by the buff of the flag will light on - it was mainly to test who and when someone is affected.

The player will always receive the buff, no matter what faction he is friend or what. But the near npcs, they will receive a buff concerning their factions. So for example if there's a war between NCR and Legion, and you put a Legion flag, the Legion characters in range will receive an extra buff.

The buff range has a radius of 2000 units and it leasts about 30 seconds when it's active. It won't stack (i.e. you can't take a buff then change fast the flag so you take another buff)

List of factions and relative buffs:
> Black flag - No buff
> Brotherhood of Steel - Increase Fire / Poison / Rad resistance by 15
> Great Khan - +25 Damage Resistance; +10 Action Points
> Legion - +1 Agility; +1 Perception; +5 Melee Damage
> NCR - +1 Endurance; +1 Strenght; +5 Damage Threshold
> Followers of Apocalypse - +1 Intelligence; Restore Health +2/sec
> Lucky 38 - +2 Luck; +5% Crit.Chance

-------------
Crafting
-------------
The pole flags can be crafted, along with few other general goodies. Even if you can craft all the flags you want, there's a max limit in how many
of them you can plant. This limit is 50, and you can see the remaining flags using the option on the flag menu "Avaiable flags". This limit could be increased in the future, for now I thought it was big enough.

I introduced the possibility to craft few other items, like crates, barrels, a portable bedroll and even some flammable barrels that will explode if you shoot them, so I could make a better small camp near my flags.
All these items more or less require Spare Parts (=Scrap Metal), so I also introduced new recipes to breakdown common clutter to scrap metal.

They can be crafted at the workbench and they have their own category to be filtered, but since the crafting list is always cluttered with thousand recipes and I can't suffer that, I made all the recipes dependent by the crafting book called "You're C.A.R.P.E.N.T.E.R.": if you have this book in your inventory, then you will see the recipes. If you drop this book, then you won't see the recipes anymore. I placed 2 copies inside the buried building, be careful to not loose them. In case, there are more copies inside the Cheat Trunk.

These new "special items" you can craft, they are scripted. You should only drop a quantity of 1, everytime, because if you'll use the slider and put a higher quantity, only one will appear in game and you will loose the other ones, so be careful.
When one of these items is on the ground, if you activate it standing up you will interact with them (i.e. sleep on the bedroll, open a crate to put things inside etc.), but if you activate them when you are sneaking then you will pick them again. If you placed some things inside a container, these things will go back automatically in your inventory.

List of clutter you can dismantle to obtain Scrap Metal: Pot, Dog Bowls, Coffee Kettle, Firehose Nozzle, Hammer, Iron, Lawnmower Blade, Leaf Blower, Lunch Box, Paint Guns, Pan Cooking, Pressure Cooker, Steam Gauge, Tin Cans, Bent Tin Cans, Toaster, Vacuum Cleaner, Wood Chipper

List of items you can craft: portable bedroll, small and big wooden crate (container), ammo crate (container), dufflebag (container), wooden barrel (container), pole flag (...), flammable barrel (explosive)

--------
MCM
--------

MCM is not mandatory but it's strongly recommended. The few options inside allow you to enable / disable debug mode in case of problems, the buff effect of the flag, the visual magic effect and enable the cheat trunk. This is a trunk in front of Chet's in Goodspring, it contains every item added by the mod, so you can avoid the small quest too if you are not in the mood.

If you don't own MCM, you can still set variables using the console, to 0 (Disable) or to 1(Enable):
Set "xx000ae7".bDebug To 0 / (or 1) >>> Disable/Enable the debug mode, descriptions spamming on console.
Set "xx000ae7".bBuff To 0 / (or 1) >>> Disable/Enable the buff provided by the flags
Set "xx000ae7".bBuffEffect To 0 / (or 1) >>> Disable/Enable the visual effect you see on actors when they are affected by the buff
Set "xx000ae7".bCheatTrunk To 0 / (or 1) >>> Disable/Enable the cheat trunk in front of Chet in Goodspring.

...where xx is the index of the mod in the load order.

-----------------
Installation
-----------------

- Install NVSE (Mandatory 4.5+ something)
- Install Lutana plugin (Mandatory 9+, uploaded 11/02/2015 or newer)
You can find a temporary copy here. It must be manually copied inside Data\NVSE\plugins
- Install MCM (Optional, but recommended)
- Use a mod manager to install the archive or unpack manually everything under Data, as you usually do.

As from version 1.2, TTW was made compatible. If during the first initialization TTW is found in your LO, the script will automatically moves the ruined building near Megaton. Also, the cheat chest is moved outside Vault 101.

--------------
Conflicts
--------------

The only vanilla cell which was modified is outside the playing zone, so basically no vanilla record were changed. I can't think to anything else right now.

RECOMMENDATION: don't forget that it's always a good idea to not save while a scripted sequence is running. For this reason, avoid saving during those 5 seconds from where you click on the option [Plant flag] to when the flag is really planted.

---------------------
Known issues
---------------------

- When you drop one of the new scripted items (crates, barrels etc.etc.) you can't do it in a quantity higher than 1. For example, if you want to drop 4 crates, you must drop 4 times 1 crate. If you choose 4 in the slider, you will loose the other 3. Flag poles are the only exception.

- There are cases where the cheat trunk doesn't appear, it should be enough to fast travel somewhere and then fast travel back in Goodspring, or Save / Reload the game.

- When you name the flag, you will see "enter character name": this is because I'm using the player's name box to change it, that description can't be changed.

- When you slip down inside the buried building, probably your companion won't follow you automatically. Not a big deal, there's only a couple of rooms down there.

-----------
Credits
-----------

- Jaam and Luthienanarion for the script extenders

------------------
Permission
------------------

This mod can be considered free for non-commercial use only - please credit the deserving, when deserved - Any mod that contains any assets from this mod must share the same policies. There are no exceptions for this: if you don't like this rule, don't use this mod or any of its assets. Instead, if you can stand to my will and you understand that my main purpose is mods diffusion, feel free to do whatever you want with this mod and PM me if you need some help, I'll be glad to help you.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Everything that could happen in game with this mod
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[FLASH]

[/FLASH]

• Submitter
  • Submitted
    02/10/2015
  • Category
  • Requires
    NVSE about 4.5+, Lutana plugin V9+

Looks pretty damn cool as always. I had a mod like this, at least the map marker functionality, when playing Oblivion way back when, and it's a good addition to gameplay.

About the recipe menu clutter: you could look into creating a custom recipe category. I had one called "clothes" in a private armor comp once, just for creating outfits/outfit variations with stuff lying about, Tailor Maid addons etc.

actually I'm doing specific books to keep in inventory if you want them to show up, because it's already a pain with vanilla recipes, I guess if every mod adds 10 recipes people will drive insane soon... but I'm open to new possibilities. But how creating a custom category would reduce the neverending list inside the workbench menu? doesn't it show always all the recipes you know?

• 5 months later...

AJ, this mod is fantastic. It's a shame that it didn't get the attention it deserves. I won't play without this anymore!

The possibility to craft "havok"-ed containers is pretty awesome too.

Thank you :)

I admit I never tested on DLCs, so if you'll have a chance to plant a flag on a DLC world please drop me a line if you have issues

• 7 months later...
  • 7 months later...