Welcome to LoversLab
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Skyrim Modding Guide

• Please log in to reply
1573 replies to this topic

HounDog

HounDog

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Thank you so much for this guide!

I started a new install last week and tried to follow the guide as much as possible and here i am on 109 mods and counting and everything seems to be ok, i have not done any heavy testing but using MO has given an amount of control i did not thought possible.

There are 3 things i skipped for personal reasons:

ENB - i liked it, i really did but i could not give up the 4k DSR, even the performance enb made my 780 cry at those resolutions. 

ugrids - there seems to be a lot of debate on the safety of this modification so i'll play it safe and wait until i have tested everything else.

Live another life - In order to obtain a "clean" save i started a game before installing anything (not even SKSE) i selected the default nord as PC and started to play without doing anything at all, no crouching, no armor, no speech checks, no looting, follow the main quest and ignore everyone else, let lydia do all the fighting up to the point where Parthurnax teaches you Yol (the point where i consider that the world is fully open to the player) then dismiss lydia, buy breezehome, wait, and then save (and another save in a cellar just to be safe). I was level 4 at this point, 25 one handed, 25 marksman, 20 speech (from selling stuff to buy breezehome). now this save will be the save for all my subsequent playthroughs. An obsessive and maybe useless thing to do but hey, i had fun seeing lydia being useful for once.  :D

Anyway, Thanks again, i was about to drop skyrim and move on but it looks like i'll be here for a while.  

Hey, good to hear things worked out for you! But with a 780 gtx you shouldn't have any issues whatsoever running Realvision full even with Tamriel Reloaded active, as I'm running it with a 580. I suggest reducing your textures  instaed, you get a LOT more back from a good ENB than you do from ANY texture pack, and the ENB thanks to ENBoost and ENHost makes your game use more memory more efficiently and run smoother as well.

Would you mind Posting MO's list of active mods so we can shave down a bit and make Realvision work for you? You can find this under Profiles.

Hint by the way, whenever possible try to use a single big texture pack that covers a lot of things like Tamriel Reloaded does instead of a ton of smaller ones, because the game spends more resources dealing with conflicting textures and things bumping into each other, like if you have a Whiterun makeover and a Breezehome makeover that changes it's exterior in a way that conflicts with your Whiterun makeover, your FPS will slow down to a CRAWL whenever you get near Breezehome as the game tries to decide what texture to show you. Always strive for compatibility first and looks second.

Oh no, i did not mean 4k as in 4096 textures but as in 4k DSR, a thing on newer nvidia cards that renders the game at higher resolutions (e.g. 3840x2160 aka 4k) and then scales it down to 1920x1080, it looks pretty awesome on a 144hz monitor, it does not add any eye candy like an enb of course, but it certainly puts a shine on what is already there. 

To be honest, i'm on the fence here, if i had tried enb before i got this card i probably wouldn't bother with DSR but as it is now i may have to alternate between one and the other because i can't possibly use both at the same time.

anyway her's what i have installed so far and it all seems to be working just fine:

Spoiler

AdBot

AdBot
  • Advert

Sacremas

Sacremas

Entitled Know-it-all

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,566 posts

What I would really suggest is that you try it without that setting, and use an ENB of your choice (I like Realvision but it's far from the best or even most performance firendly ENB) using ENBseries 0.265, then you install Tamriel Reloaded like I explained with the various settings, and then you try it in game. If you still think the 4K DSR looks better then by all means go with that.

fishburger67

fishburger67

Mega Poster

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,386 posts

Sacremas

I am really conflicted about using MO.  I know the raw machine down to the capacitors on the motherboard.  I write software for the operating system.  I understand most things about it.  I do not know about MO and how it utilizes these mapped directories.  I know about mapped directories but I don't know how MO does it and how it's file structure is organized.  Because I understand the skyrim file structure, I can usually fix anything and I am hearing lots of issues related to MO (Carida and others).

Also, I use Creation Kit like 8 hours a day.  I saw CK in one of the gopher videos I watch (haven't gotten through the whole series yet) so it obviously works.  I am worried about this too.

I have lots of disk space.  I am thinking about making a new directory for an MO based Skyrim install and keeping what I have for CK work.  What do you think of that idea?

Sacremas

Sacremas

Entitled Know-it-all

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,566 posts

That should work... but MO wouldn't actually do anything, you kinda need a clean install of SKyrim and then install all mods via Mod Organizer for it to work as it should. However for just finding out how it works and playing around with it that should work fine. You won't get a zit of benefit out of it for actual use of course, but even so.

Also one happy news to anyone who used my CFF explorer thing to change SKyrim's TESV.exe to use >2 gb memory; this makes Steam think you don't have it installed any longer, you can run it still but Steam have no way to affect it, and anyone who ended up with Skyrim reading as not being installed any longer due to this will not be affected by the issues currently plaguing Carida and others because Steam can't cause incompatibilites in something it can't touch! I have none of the problems being reported by others due to this.

Sacremas

Sacremas

Entitled Know-it-all

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,566 posts

In the Animated Dragon Wings/FNIS section I changed my Skeleton recommendation to the much better XP32 Maximum Skeleton Extended.

HounDog

HounDog

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Fish, i think you would find MO to be immensely useful for testing and version control, and your knowledge of the skyrim structure will only make things easier.

fishburger67

fishburger67

Mega Poster

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,386 posts

Thanks you guys.  I'm installing a new skyrim in a new directory this weekend and then I will import all my mods using MO in this new place and see how it goes.  I am really interested in seeing how MO implements is directory sturcture.

Sacremas

Sacremas

Entitled Know-it-all

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,566 posts

Okay I recently ran into a problem where the game was slowing to a crawl and stuttering a lot, and I had no idea what was going on. Turns out the reason I was doing so was because I'd activated the Bethesda High Res Texture packs as well some other graphical landscape mods along with Tamriel Reloaded. This causes Skyrim to spend a lot more time on trying to decide which texture to show you than it spends on showing you the textures it picks!

So if you installed Tamriel Reloaded, what I want you to do is to go into your SKyrim/Data folder and delete all the high res texture pack DLCs (BSAs and ESPs), and in Steam go to your Library, find Skyrim, go to Properties, to DLC and uncheck your subscription to the high res textures DLC. Also if you're using a mod like Vivid Landscapes you should stop using it along with TR, and most likely the same with Skyrim Flora Overhaul. I'm going to try out with and without Verdant and see what looks better and what gives better performance, it may be best to only go with that single landcscape alteration if you're using such a big all-encompassing pack.

Sacremas

Sacremas

Entitled Know-it-all

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,566 posts

Update: Removing SFO and Verdant led to a marked FPS increase with Tamriel Reloaded, and I still get grass and shrubbery, just not to the degree with Verdant, and it plainly just looks better. As such I only recommend you use Tamriel Reloaded alone, and no other landscape mods.

Here's my SKyrim.ini [Grass] Section;

[Grass]

iGrassCellRadius=2

bAllowCreateGrass=1

bAllowLoadGrass=0

bDrawShaderGrass=0

bGrassPointLighting=1

b30GrassVS=1

iMaxGrassTypesPerTexure=15

iMinGrassSize=40

I thought reducing iMinGrass and seting up types would hurt performance a lot but the opposite was actually true instead!

Other than these I'm also using Rustic Alchemy and Enchanting Tables, Rustic Cooking Station, Rustic Clutter Collections (includes Silverware etc), Rustic Potions and Poisons (don't use if you use Radiant Potions and Poisons!) and Rustic Windows, as well as Ren's HD Shrines. Make sure Enhanced Lights and FX and Climates of Tamriel or any other weather/lighting mod always overwrite all your textures!

Note that while all texture mods can be removed at any time, when you load up the game again do not use Continue, use Load Game, as COntinue will crash your game then! This is only the first time you've loaded up with your new textures, after that feel free to use Continue.

Here's a video of Tamriel Reloaded in action if you're still undecided;

fishburger67

fishburger67

Mega Poster

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,386 posts

Whoa, nice stuff.

Sacremas

Sacremas

Entitled Know-it-all

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,566 posts

It's a very nice set of textures, and the parallax thing just makes everything pop out at you and seem a lot less flat, Mia's dungeon looks incredible with this set active. However you NEED a new ENB to use this, there's no way to use this pack without an ENB using ENBseries 0.265 or newer.

Mimirue17

Mimirue17

• Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

ok second try at installing skyrim with mo, the first was pretty much a disaster...have gone back and watched all the videos and now know how to merge files, create executables, manually select what the mods are installing and can see what is over writing what.   So have skipped the body mod part so far as I still cant decide CBBE and its easy and effective change to the game, or the much more complicated UNPB.   I did get that to work before crashes started.   Just a quick note about he first attempt, the game loaded fine until I zoned.   Either with Helgen or Alt Start when entering the tower or clicking on the bed, CTD.   even after yanking all the mods back out, it crashed like that in vanilla game...so started over again.

back to my question.   I am ready to install the enb, and multiple questions now after reading you last couple of posts.

1-what of the suggested mods in realvision are you using, if any

2-did you install it in MO like the video for MO installing on the site linking to the STEP process or just like any other mod.   He did not really explain why he was installing that way, but most of his videos are spot on so wanted to see how to do it.   I wont install any mods that are not you basic mods without watching videos at this stage...dont want to blow things all to heck again.

Btw I actually like MO, its just not very cut and dry how to best install some things...best to let people show you how, hehe.   8 hours and reinstall later to prove that....but all is well so far and have learned to log into the game after every mod to make sure it still works :P

HounDog

HounDog

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

In case it helps, this is what i did in order (bless sticky notes) and trying to stick to the guide as much as possible, i've had no crashes so far but then i haven't played that long.

-Clean reinstall, remove game and CK via steam, delete folders, download and reinstall again. 

-Played FULL vanilla mode for a bit in order to create a "clean" save game in a small interior cell

-Install SKSE

-Install MO

-Modify ini files (using Ewi's High Skyprefs) note: skipped the ugrids modification but this is a personal preference

-Install Unofficial Skyrim Patches, all of them

-Lighting mods, in my case Climates of Tamriel with ELFX

-Install ENB Real vision, tried performance and full, both worked fine, currently disabled

-HDT extensions

-Body modification, CBBE HDT

-Register exe files with MO, tes5edit, CK, bodyslide, etc.

-Skeleton XP32, Groovtama's version, 2.44

-SkyUI 

-RaceMenu

-FNIS Animations and FNIS creature pack

-Sexlab Framework

-Zaz Animation pack

-Sexlab mods, script-using mods (anything that requires SKSE basically)

Did some testing at this point and since everything seemed ok i proceeded to install:

-Outfits, bodyslide customizations (i spent more time on this that i should have )

-Followers

-Gameplay stuff (e.g. archery overhaul, Realistic Ragdolls and Force)

-Player homes (usually you just need one but i wanted to try different ones)

-Everything else, weapons, retextures, more outfits, more followers etc.

-Follower mod (EFF 3.5.6 because 4.0 is not working me yet)

Now, with minor tweaks here and there this install order also reflects my priority order AND load order and so far i have not experienced a single CTD.

As you install each mod, Keep a close eye on the warning indicator and on the Flags column, and resolve every conflict as it appears instead of installing everything at once.

In short: install mod, check for conflict, fix, test, rinse and repeat.

Sacremas

Sacremas

Entitled Know-it-all

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,566 posts

ok second try at installing skyrim with mo, the first was pretty much a disaster...have gone back and watched all the videos and now know how to merge files, create executables, manually select what the mods are installing and can see what is over writing what.   So have skipped the body mod part so far as I still cant decide CBBE and its easy and effective change to the game, or the much more complicated UNPB.   I did get that to work before crashes started.   Just a quick note about he first attempt, the game loaded fine until I zoned.   Either with Helgen or Alt Start when entering the tower or clicking on the bed, CTD.   even after yanking all the mods back out, it crashed like that in vanilla game...so started over again.

back to my question.   I am ready to install the enb, and multiple questions now after reading you last couple of posts.

1-what of the suggested mods in realvision are you using, if any

2-did you install it in MO like the video for MO installing on the site linking to the STEP process or just like any other mod.   He did not really explain why he was installing that way, but most of his videos are spot on so wanted to see how to do it.   I wont install any mods that are not you basic mods without watching videos at this stage...dont want to blow things all to heck again.

Btw I actually like MO, its just not very cut and dry how to best install some things...best to let people show you how, hehe.   8 hours and reinstall later to prove that....but all is well so far and have learned to log into the game after every mod to make sure it still works :P

Hm, that doesn't sound good. Yeah MO requires a bit more attention as it's a bit of a middle ground between installing manually and installing with an automated installer.

Of the suggested Realvision mods I am currently using Static Mesh Improvement Mod (high priority to let overwrite by Tamriel Reloaded, you want the extra stuff here, note that removing this will increase performance), Detailed Rugs (TR doesn't touch rugs), HD Fire FX Legacy (not affected by any mod), SkyFalls and SkyMills, Realistic Water Two and it's ENB textures (let it overwrite TR), JK's Skyrim All in One (DO NOT install Dawn of Skyrim with this or JK's Whiterun, that will lead to MASSIVE lag in the affected cities and objects being into each other), and that's it, I removed everything else as far as I can tell from my load order. Obviously I kept Enhanced Lights and FX and Climates of Tamriel, including the full way to install CoT like described on the Realvision page (Weather Patch + Supreme Storms, it's awesome with Storm Call).

As for how I installed RealVision, I kinda explained it on the ENB post, I just put the ENBSeries 0.265 (haven't updated because I don't have any mods that uses the new abiltiies) Wrapper edition's files d3d9.dll and ENBHost.exe into my base Skyrim folder, then I enable RealVision like any mod, then I go into the right most pane, go to Data, scroll down to RealVision_ENB_Files, open it and select RV_Install.vbe (the other one doesn't like MO), and execute that, then type the drive number that Skyrim is on, he finds it on C, then type in my VRAM amount (8192 for 8 gig) and it's done installed.

I'm attaching my load order and installed mods files, note that the installed mods is rather massive as it includes a lot of stuff that I don't even use any more, as well as a ton of Requiem files for my next playthrough using that system. Everything with a + instead of a - is enabled, and it's in reverse order. I've left most of the names of files in such a way that you can search them by name in Google to find the mod in question. I currently have 251 plugins enabled, and probably 400 or so actual mods enabled, with another 400 almost mods ontop of that not enabled.

Attached Files

Mimirue17

Mimirue17

• Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

ok sorry to keep asking so many questions, just cant find all the answers with google, videos and mod pages.

I have many armor mods I simply wont be without, and wanted to make sure I am doing this right.

I watched the video on merging files so wanted to download main mod, then add TBBP by merging it with main.   It also has bodyslide files that I can not figure out how to install.   It says not the correct files structure and when I right click the data folder and try to set data path it changes to Caliente tools and still says wrong structure...so how the heck do you get these files to load?   same thing happens every time so not sure what I am doing wrong here.

Sacremas

Sacremas

Entitled Know-it-all

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,566 posts

Sorry, I have never used Bodyslide, I switched to UNPB well over a year ago, can't help you there, but maybe someone else can.

Though most likely you need to run it like you do other things, through Mod Organizer by adding the Bodyslide program as an executable.

HounDog

HounDog

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Sacremas is correct, if you run bodyslide outside MO it wont work, also make sure that all outfits are loaded after CBBE/bodyslide. 

http://wiki.step-pro...le_Applications

HounDog

HounDog

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

I have a question, from a logical standpoint, (and not referring to any particular mod as to not to cloud the issue) a follower tweaking mod should be loaded before or after a custom follower that uses the vanilla system? 

Intuitively i assume that the follower should be loaded first and THEN the mod that will potentially alter its behavior right? does it make sense? or doesn't really matter for this type of mods?

Sacremas

Sacremas

Entitled Know-it-all

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,566 posts

I don't know about other mods as I've used AFT forever, but AFT needs to be loaded after all followers and NPC overhauls, preferably as the last plugin before you load your merge and skyproc patches, or second to last if you're also loading Amorous Adventures which it breaks.

fishburger67

fishburger67

Mega Poster

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,386 posts

I installed two enbs over the weekend, RealVision and Northernlight.  RealVision was way too saturated for my taste.  I liked NorthernLights really well.  Liked the skin textures and all that which is all I really want an enb for.  However, both are way too dark for my taste.  I don't at all care about the realism of carrying a torch.  Maybe I'll get used to it, but at the moment, it's almost enough to make me drop the enb idea entirely.  Is there any way to adjust the brightness of interior cells?  I tried adjusting the AmbientMinLevelInteriorxxx  values in SKYLIGHTING, but that does not do what I had hoped.  Also, in MiasLair pleasure palace, standing over by the pool has everyone looking back the other way in real dark shadows.  I can add some additional lighting in there, but but would like to fix this generically. 

Any ideas?