MODIFYING a vanilla mesh for use in outfitstudio via obj conversion

conglaciatus1

So - I've been trying for ages at this, but I cannot figure it out for the life of me... How does one go about editing a vanilla mesh(ie, deleting/adding vertices,etc) after having converted it to an obj, and then import it back into outfit studio, as, no matter what variation of method I try, unedited import fine, and edited literally do nothing.

Anyone have a good guide/explanation on how to go about this?

Thanks in advance.

I use NifSkope to export to OBJ, edit in Max, export back into OBJ and import back into OS (or directly from OS, pending on your wish).

One thing to note is the size, usually exported models from certain apps like Max will apply their own metric system in place, so you might need to export the model to OBJ with a value of 0.1 or such pending on your setup.

Did you check to see if that was the case?

Also, disable Optimize Vertex/UV/etc options when exporting OBJ's from certain apps, they will sometimes do more harm then good.

Well - my issue isn't with it once it's in outfit studio, it's getting it there. When I try other (unedited) obj's, I get prompt asking me to name the new mesh - however, when I try it with an edited one, the prompt never even happens and the mesh never appears in outfit studio... what exactly is the cause of this?

Edit: Also - anyone know why sometimes outfit studio gives an error (can't remember the precise text, but something about error and needing to close and i can ignore and continue if I want) when trying to duplicate a reference from an already existing bodyslide outfit?

Well - my issue isn't with it once it's in outfit studio, it's getting it there. When I try other (unedited) obj's, I get prompt asking me to name the new mesh - however, when I try it with an edited one, the prompt never even happens and the mesh never appears in outfit studio... what exactly is the cause of this?

Edit: Also - anyone know why sometimes outfit studio gives an error (can't remember the precise text, but something about error and needing to close and i can ignore and continue if I want) when trying to duplicate a reference from an already existing bodyslide outfit?

There's no error for me, but sometimes I can't toggle the visibility for duplicated meshes. Added that to the issues list.

In Nifscope what is the skin type on the nif you are trying to duplicate from and to (for both).

I've had issues when trying to duplicated parts into a nif where the skin was not a "BSDismemberSkinInstance" and that is because Outfit Studio does not work well with duplicating NiSkinInstances (even though skyrim can use it).

Blabba did a great write up on how to prep a Nif for Outfit Studio / Body Slide usage.

And covers how to change this in that write up.

Will work with OS

post-321913-0-25917700-1423570567_thumb.jpg

Will Crash OS when trying to duplicated meshes into or from

post-321913-0-28230200-1423570586_thumb.jpg

Fixed so it will work with OS

post-321913-0-77837200-1423570595_thumb.jpg

Now to fix:

Highlight skininstance, right click, block - convert: Bethesda BSDismemberSkinInstance (for each mesh)

Then at the top "Spells - Batch - Make a Skin Paritions" uncheck the "Stripify Triangle" and let it run.

Once the Skin Partition is done... go and set the BSDismemberskin's partition so mesh matches the ESP's partition for the nif (this way it will render in the game).

Save as and name it (or replace the old nif).

Now it should be good to play with in Outfit Studio.

Also are you deleting the old mesh (pre vertex increase) or...

Are you trying to input the new object file into the mesh via a slider, as that will not work.

Sliders will only morph objects with the same vertex count (and will only do it correctly for objects with the same vertex order).

If you have the object from Max why not import it via nifscope into the nif file?

Once the import is in, use the copy branch and paste branch functions to copy over the skin data from the mesh you want to replace.

Then do a removed branch on the old mesh, then run a couple of spells and save as the updated nif.

Or why not just save as a nif file (export) in max with the nif export plug in.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/5622/?

With the Max Nif Plug in: you can import the nif in max along with the XPMSE female skeleton, make what ever changes you need to do, and export as a nif file for Skyrim...

Just remember to update the UV map before you export after the increase of the face/poly/vertex count on the mesh.

Just a thought...

In Nifscope what is the skin type on the nif you are trying to duplicate from and to (for both).

I've had issues when trying to duplicated parts into a nif where the skin was not a "BSDismemberSkinInstance" and that is because Outfit Studio does not work well with duplicating NiSkinInstances (even though skyrim can use it).

Blabba did a great write up on how to prep a Nif for Outfit Studio / Body Slide usage.

Will work with OS

attachicon.gifThe right way for Outfit Studio usage.jpg

attachicon.gifThe wrong way for Outfit Studio usage.jpg

attachicon.gifNiSkin to BSDismember and Partitions set.jpg

Now to fix:

Highlight skininstance, right click, block - convert: Bethesda BSDismemberSkinInstance (for each mesh)

Then at the top "Spells - Batch - Make a Skin Paritions" uncheck the "Stripify Triangle" and let it run.

Once the Skin Partition is done... go and set the BSDismemberskin's partition so mesh matches the ESP's partition for the nif (this way it will render in the game).

Are you trying to input the new object file into the mesh via a slider, as that will not work.

Sliders will only morph objects with the same vertex count (and will only do it correctly for objects with the same vertex order).

If you have the object from Max why not import it via nifscope into the nif file?

Once the import is in, use the copy branch and paste branch functions to copy over the skin data from the mesh you want to replace.

Then do a removed branch on the old mesh, then run a couple of spells and save as the updated nif.

With the Max Nif Plug in: you can import the nif in max along with the XPMSE female skeleton, make what ever changes you need to do, and export as a nif file for Skyrim...

Just remember to update the UV map before you export after the increase of the face/poly/vertex count on the mesh.

Just a thought...

Weirdly enough, the nif I couldn't duplicate even has is as BS, not niSkin - so no idea what's up with that still (it's the shoulder-back-straps from aradia lingerie, if you want to check for yourself - I used a cbbe bodyslide conversion on the first attempt and it gave me that error, second time I tried the 7B one and had the same issue...)

Anyways - back to the main issue: basically, waht I was trying to do was take a vanilla (or rather the bodyslide higher-poly conversion s666 did) and detach and delete the lower part of themodel whilst adding some cuts via the blender knife tool in order to be able to use the torso armor (nord plate) with different legs for a mashup I'm working on... however, the original will import fine as an obj (gives me the prompt to name it, etc.), however, once i have committed the aforementioned edits to the mesh via obj conversion and blender, it will not import. I click on import, select the file, and then nothing - no mesh appears, no prompt pops up...

Anyways - I'm going to try editing it with the blender nif import/export next, I guess and see how that works out...

Will work with OS

attachicon.gifThe right way for Outfit Studio usage.jpg

attachicon.gifThe wrong way for Outfit Studio usage.jpg

attachicon.gifNiSkin to BSDismember and Partitions set.jpg

Now to fix:

Just a thought...

Weirdly enough, the nif I couldn't duplicate even has is as BS, not niSkin - so no idea what's up with that still (it's the shoulder-back-straps from aradia lingerie, if you want to check for yourself - I used a cbbe bodyslide conversion on the first attempt and it gave me that error, second time I tried the 7B one and had the same issue...)

Anyways - back to the main issue: basically, waht I was trying to do was take a vanilla (or rather the bodyslide higher-poly conversion s666 did) and detach and delete the lower part of themodel whilst adding some cuts via the blender knife tool in order to be able to use the torso armor (nord plate) with different legs for a mashup I'm working on... however, the original will import fine as an obj (gives me the prompt to name it, etc.), however, once i have committed the aforementioned edits to the mesh via obj conversion and blender, it will not import. I click on import, select the file, and then nothing - no mesh appears, no prompt pops up...

Anyways - I'm going to try editing it with the blender nif import/export next, I guess and see how that works out...

There are not allowed to be "NiTriStrips" and "NiSkinInstance". Did you check for the first as well?

See guide #0 here: http://www.loverslab.com/topic/25180-unofficial-bodyslide-2outfit-studio-tutorials/

Archived