Heights Corrected

View File

YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO USE MY WORK IN PAID MODS.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

SPECIAL EDITION ALSO EXISTS
It's here: https://www.loverslab.com/files/file/14214-heights-corrected-by-erundil/

It works a bit differently, but achieves almost the same result.

WHAT IT DOES

When I started playing Skyrim, I felt like heights for vanilla races could fit the lore better. Make more sense.
Back in the Morrowind/Oblivion days I used to have mods correcting that aspect. I tried to find a Skyrim mod that would make the same changes, but all of them had some issues (children, vampires, common mistakes, unfitting values for some races). So I decided to create a mod of my own. I went over the heights of every playable vanilla race and made changes to most of them.

Vanilla playable races are affected, including vampires. My mod doesn't require Unofficial Patch, but it includes all its changes.
Children are untouched - their height is mostly affected by their age so there is no point correcting anything there.
You may notice Astrid is unusually told for a Nord, having a height of 1.0600 - though it's unexplained why, she's unique this way, so I decided to leave her this tall.

Table below shows vanilla and modded values:

┌────────────────┬────────────────┐
               │  ♂  Skyrim  ♀  │ ♂ New values ♀ │
┌──────────────┼────────────────┼────────────────┤
│ ArgonianRace │ 1.0100  1.0000 │ 1.0100  1.0000 │ incl. Vampire
├──────────────┼────────────────┼────────────────┤
│ BretonRace   │ 1.0000  0.9500 │ 1.0000  0.9700 │ incl. Vampire, excl. Child, ChildVampire
│ DarkElfRace  │ 1.0000  1.0000 │ 1.0000  0.9700 │ incl. Vampire
│ ElderRace    │ 1.0000  1.0000 │ 0.9700  0.9400 │ incl. Vampire
│ HighElfRace  │ 1.0800  1.0800 │ 1.0800  1.0500 │ incl. Vampire
│ ImperialRace │ 1.0000  1.0000 │ 1.0100  0.9800 │ incl. Vampire, excl. Child
│ KhajiitRace  │ 1.0000  0.9500 │ 1.0000  0.9500 │ incl. Vampire
│ NordRace     │ 1.0300  1.0300 │ 1.0300  1.0000 │ incl. Vampire, excl. Child, Astrid (she's so tall on purpose)
│ OrcRace      │ 1.0450  1.0450 │ 1.0400  1.0200 │ incl. Vampire
│ RedguardRace │ 1.0050  1.0000 │ 1.0200  0.9900 │ incl. Vampire, excl. Child
│ WoodElfRace  │ 0.9800  1.0000 │ 0.9800  1.0000 │ incl. Vampire
└──────────────┴────────────────┴────────────────┘

CONFLICTS

This mod will conflict with any mod that edits the same races, regardless what is changed in them.

Still, my mod doesn't edit all races. Look at the table above. If the value for a given row is unchanged, then it's also untouched in my mod.

• Submitter
  • Submitted
    02/04/2015
  • Category
  • Requires
    Skyrim 1.9.0.32, Unofficial Skyrim Legendary Edition Patch (USLeEP)
  • Special Edition Compatible
    No

First it's your Mod, your game, your choice, I'm not disputing that at all.

Where do you get your Lore about height from?

The only info on Height I can find is in game code, which isn't lore at all. Canon is arguably the code values
Lore is what's recorded in the history of the world
"More closely resemble previous games" is not accurate either, not that any justification is actually needed.

Complete Comparison Chart Sources Morrowind: Races – UESPWiki, Oblivion: Races – UESPWiki and Skyrim: Races – UESPWiki

post-134143-0-47964800-1423141004.jpg

Actually your changes have more to do with making females shorter than males, than anything matching previous games, in fact only the Redguard male is matching the previous games at all.

Your preference is all the justification you need, claiming it's for lore and to old game matching when it doesn't do that at all is misleading

post-134143-0-47964800-1423141004_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Where do you get your Lore about height from?

There are no explicit numbers in the lore that would describe heights, if thats what you're asking. Still there is a lot of info you can deduce. For example there is a strong mention about Wood Elf males being smaller than females. If this is unusual enough to mention, that would mean it's the opposite for other races (reason to make all females smaller than males). Some races were called tall, others were not. Some races are called tall more often than others, and so on. So most of the values are just implied.

"More closely resemble previous games" is not accurate either, not that any justification is actually needed.

Yeah, this particular sentence is indeed misleading (or was, since I'm correcting that now). What I meant is the mod makes Skyrim more closely resemble *my* previous games, since I had mods similar to this one for both Morrowind and Oblivion. It's their values that I tried to bring back.

Well that makes a difference, however I'd dispute that Bosmer Females being noted as taller, means anything more than that.

All that can be inferred is that females being taller than males is unusual, that doesn't mean they are smaller.

Equal heights are also possible and reffering to the game code heights, it is the norm, not smaller and Bosmer females are also uniquely taller.

Matching Mods you made for previous games, is what was missing, now the description has been corrected, it makes sense and is accurate.

I agree with female being shorter, mostly cause in RL in almost all cases females are smaller than males in most species so it makes sense if they would be in Tamriel as well.

With that said though how does this work with sexlab and alignment? Does it cause any issues there?

(...) how does this work with sexlab and alignment? Does it cause any issues there?

I haven't noticed an increase in bad alignments. I'd say it's not that different to vanilla game.

Anyway the word is SexLab will introduce bone-matching some day and alignment will no longer be a problem, since the body parts will be brought together not by animations, but rather bone repositioning. It's not some well confirmed info, but I can't wait for that to happen.

Ok I have a request that I am expecting to be to hard to do, but I figure it can't hurt to ask. Would it be possible for you to make this into a scripted installer so we can tweak the heights ourselves during installation with NMM or MO?

Not hard, but nearly impossible. Mod manager picks files from a given set. I'd have to create ESP file for every option.

Let's say we keep it simple and have only 4 different height values to choose from.

We have 2 genders and 10 races. This would result in 4*2*10=80 ESP files I'd have to create instead of 1.

Another method - scaling on the fly, setting the values in game via MCM - that would probably fight for control with SexLab which does the same thing (also I suck at scripts, so I'm not even going to look into it).

If you want speciffic values, I can create a special ESP just for you, but letting people adjust the values as they see fit is beyond possible.

(Or you could just open the ESP in Creation Kit or TESVEdit and set whatever values you want.)

Ok seems pretty simple so with TES5Edit, I would just open it then click race and then say Breton and where it shows Breton height at

male 1.0000

female 0.970000

I could just change them to any number I wanted and it would then change it in game? Or do I need to make the change save it and then reactivate it in NMM? Just want to make sure before I make changes.

Tweaking the numbers is pretty easy. Also TESVEdit saves changes on exit (you have to untick the mod on the list if you don't want to save changes).

I don't use mod managers. None of them give me the level of control I desire. I manage mods with my own programs. If you need help with mod manager, you should rather ask it's authors, not me. I can offer help with editing the ESP. ESP goes to Data folder, if your mod manager placed the file somewhere else, then it's completely out of my hands.

Just do it the old-fashioned way - put my mod in Data files manually, then edit it with TESVEdit. The tweaked file will be where it should be. Any decent mod manager should accept its existence.

Well I am opening the ESP with TES5Edit from where it is installed in the data folder of Skyrim.

So ok just changing those numbers will change what I want then. So in theory if I change them and just exit it should change the installed esp and then work in game.

I didn't change any numbers yet, I only found them and wanted to make sure those was indeed the numbers I should change and the only place. Cause if they needed to be changed in two places or something and I only changed one I was afraid it would make the game crash. So I wanted to make sure before doing changes.

Ok thanks, it seems very simple to make my own tweaks.

I just noticed there is no Khajiit, Argonian, or Wood Elf list. I know this is asking a lot but could you add those to the file as well so we could customize them as well?

Also quick question again more for confirmation reasons. But the weight value is the same as the height. So the number is that races default weight for NPC's correct? So if those numbers where to be changed it would change all the NPC's default weight yes? I believe thats what it does but again want to be sure before I go around changing stuff.

I just noticed there is no Khajiit, Argonian, or Wood Elf list. I know this is asking a lot but could you add those to the file as well so we could customize them as well?

Read my previous post. Thoroughly.

I'm not going to add races to my mod if they remain unchanged, because that's a DIRTY EDIT (LOOT, BOSS and most mod managers would complain about it).

Also quick question again more for confirmation reasons. But the weight value is the same as the height. So the number is that races default weight for NPC's correct? So if those numbers where to be changed it would change all the NPC's default weight yes? I believe thats what it does but again want to be sure before I go around changing stuff.

I have no idea what Weight does. I doubt it works the same way Height does. Do not touch it or experiment on your own risk.