What are some tips you wish you would've known when you first start off in this community?

DittoSenpai

Start with Mod Organizer. Nexus Mod Manager works but can make things hairy if you have issues.

Once you find out what mods you want to install, Install things two or three at a time. Starting with SKSE, body mods, skeleton, and the SL Framework. Then launch the game to check for any CTDs.

Doing both of these makes it really easy to figure out what's causing Skyrim to crash.

Once Skyrim launches correctly with those three, get Live Another Life (alternate start mod) to save you from Skyrim's annoyingly-long and possibly buggy intro sequence. I mean, it's a great introduction to the game, but it's prone to just failing, takes forever, and is otherwise unskippable.

From there, look at a mod you want to install, install the pre-reqs as needed, then install & test for CTD. Repeat until everything is installed without any CTDs.

Then you get to have fun configuring your mods!

If it sounds like a lot of work, it kind of is. But certainly worthwhile.

(Of course, all of this IMO - I'm certainly not the most experienced of mod-installers here, lol)

Start with Mod Organizer. Nexus Mod Manager works but can make things hairy if you have issues.

Once you find out what mods you want to install, Install things two or three at a time. Starting with SKSE, body mods, skeleton, and the SL Framework. Then launch the game to check for any CTDs.

Doing both of these makes it really easy to figure out what's causing Skyrim to crash.

Once Skyrim launches correctly with those three, get Live Another Life (alternate start mod) to save you from Skyrim's annoyingly-long and possibly buggy intro sequence. I mean, it's a great introduction to the game, but it's prone to just failing, takes forever, and is otherwise unskippable.

From there, look at a mod you want to install, install the pre-reqs as needed, then install & test for CTD. Repeat until everything is installed without any CTDs.

Then you get to have fun configuring your mods!

If it sounds like a lot of work, it kind of is. But certainly worthwhile.

(Of course, all of this IMO - I'm certainly not the most experienced of mod-installers here, lol)

Good advice, Wuu.  I've been very lazy with NMM, as it was my very first mod manager 'lo these 5+ years ago when Skyrim was released.  But time has moved on and modding can be complex.  And given the stuff that Nexus has pulled, I'd like to divest myself as much as possible from that site (they still have some good mods that can't be found elsewhere, but I only resort to them when I have no choice.  Now I need to get used to MO and pull myself kicking and screaming into 2015 :) )

I'd add to your list that if you have a troublesome mod and can't seem to get rid of it, be sure to double check Steam.  I have a number of mods I downloaded from there but I forgot to check there and "Unsubscribe" when I wanted to remove the mod.  You can still disable it with NMM or MO, but you can't remove it without logging into Steam.  Otherwise, the next time you start Skyrim, Steam will just reinstall the missing mods without asking.  Usually not a big issue, but another of those annoyances.

I use TESVEdit and BOSS to look at my load order and mod bugs, too, but one must be careful.  Not all mods showing as "dirty" are actually dirty - they may have been written that way on purpose to make the mod work.  Cleaning them with TESedit will break the mod.   Did. Not. Know.

How to properly manage NPC edits, facegen data, and load order. Gawd, i had the discolored head thing for such a long time until i facepalmed myself for not figuring it out earlier.

2nd

Avoid Nexus forums and commenting on mods. So many ass-wipes.

3rd

I didn't realize there was a tracking method to check of threads had new comments or files updated for a long time.

Archived