Idea: Framework... frameworks?

rooville528

So I haven't seen any (recent) suggestions on this, unless I'm blind, but what about frameworks on top of SexLab? By this I mean, instead of relying entirely on SexLab as the base framework then adding mods of different sorts, how compatible would sub-frameworks be? I'll admit, my general scripting ability is novice level (and beginner level for Papyrus) so this may be a question a greater knowledge of these would answer.

I had this thought as I was noticing that there were great mods that existed that seemed to cover the same functions but in different ways, such as with the various pregnancy and creature-sexing mods. While they seem to play well enough with one another, there is potential for feature overlap that could cause issues. As I see it, the issues can go as: 

1. Script overload - While the pregnancy mods tend to fall into "use this or the other one" categories they each take a slightly different approach to how they manage pregnancy. Beeing Female goes for a more immersive, cycle-based system while Hentai Pregnancy goes for a lighter, straight-forward approach. Dealing with the birth itself and the child after the fact are also approached with different, but in way similar, ways. The problem here is that each mod approaches the same idea in such a different way so that you have to commit to one and disregard the other, even if you like features from the other.

2. Feature Overlap: Aroused Creatures and Pet Collar, for example, both have arousal-based actions. To keep these from running over each other you have to go in and change the settings among them to stagger out the effects. Both offer a player-creature action but with different RP styles in mind (in one the creatures seek out the player or npcs, in the other has the player or companions act as submissive to allied creatures). So what is the Dovahkiin to do if they want to be submissive to one animal primarily but also let any friendly ones take advantage? I'm aware that with SexLab Beastess, there is an attempt at making an ESM for it to be a framework, so maybe there is an option going there.

Primarily, I am just curious as to how feasible this is. I believe that Devious Devices and the Creature Framework operate with this idea in mind, so it seems possible. But would it be worthwhile for someone to put the effort in? I hate to see good mods that the players have to choose between if an option exists for you to have them all.

We have released a Relationship Framework module as part of our APPS framework that should take care of conflicts between different mods affecting relationships with the same NPC (as a bonus, it also resolves initialization conflicts!). The recent Zaz Animation Pack update includes a Slavery Framework. We are planning on releasing a BDSM Framework as another module in our framework later on.

People are slowly starting to build frameworks and making their mods compatible to each other!

We have released a Relationship Framework module as part of our APPS framework that should take care of conflicts between different mods affecting relationships with the same NPC (as a bonus, it also resolves initialization conflicts!). The recent Zaz Animation Pack update includes a Slavery Framework. We are planning on releasing a BDSM Framework as another module in our framework later on.

People are slowly starting to build frameworks and making their mods compatible to each other!

This is great news- I'm looking forward to seeing how your framework works out, especially since it seems to have a lot of potential applications in all sorts of mods. Hopefully there are folks working on more frameworks, though it seems the hardest part is figuring out what a framework should encapsulate and what it should leave to the mods.

Archived