Camera Zoom Not Working

My Skyrim just stopped letting me use my mouse scroll wheel to zoom the camera in or out one day, and I haven't installed any new camera mods, and the one I do have, Customizable Camera, I've tried uninstalling, and reinstalling without it being of any effect on the situation and I'm nearly at my wits end of what else could be causing this issue, the game is nearly unplayable being stuck zoomed in nearly as far as it will be before my character phases out.

there is a different problem! there was already someone who had the same problem, here on LL, but I do not remember where and when it is already some time back.

I only know that he had a mod installed that has rewritten its INI and Prefs INI.

thus he could not use his mouse wheel. Unfortunately, I do not know more about it, I'm sorry. but you can even search the "Technical Support",

but it is very tedious to find it.

I play with a controller but I have had similar problems with zooming the camera and getting stuck in first/third person. I have solved it previously by using a forge or other crafting station or sitting in a chair. This forces the camera perspective to change and sometimes fixes the problem. Worth a try if you haven't already.

there is a different problem! there was already someone who had the same problem, here on LL, but I do not remember where and when it is already some time back.

I only know that he had a mod installed that has rewritten its INI and Prefs INI.

thus he could not use his mouse wheel. Unfortunately, I do not know more about it, I'm sorry. but you can even search the "Technical Support",

but it is very tedious to find it.

Sounds pretty much like what I'm having happen, I'll look into those two areas to see if I can find the setting, change it to default, then see if it reverts, to try and pinpoint if I still have such a mod doing it :P

*EDIT* Couldn't find anything in the INI files, but I tried changing my game to use 360 Controller, and can change the zoom on the camera then, but changing back to mouse, the scroll wheel still refuses to effect the zoom, if that helps narrow down what it could be =/

Sorry, none of those really apply to what I'm having happen, aside from the Google search, which I already did without any success :(

Thanks for trying anyway :)

Broken Mouse wheel? (change the mouse)

Broken Mouse?(above)

Corrupted Mouse Driver?(idk)

Corrupted ini? (delete both skyrimpref.ini and skyrim.ini in my document, and start the game. Create Backup for those files first!)

Newly installed mods causing this? (post your load order, maybe someone could point out which mod/mod conflict causing this)

Try this: Start the game and remove anything you have hot keyed for #3.  Leave that hot key empty.  On the number pad to your right press Num Lock and then the 3 key on the number pad.  Then use WASD to fly the camera around.  Once you are in third person press the 3 key on the number pad again.  That should return you to first person.  Then try scrolling in and out with the mouse wheel.  Something else too, 1st to 3rd person and back again is controlled by a script.  It might have been sabotaged by a mod.

Broken Mouse wheel? (change the mouse)

Broken Mouse?(above)

Corrupted Mouse Driver?(idk)

Corrupted ini? (delete both skyrimpref.ini and skyrim.ini in my document, and start the game. Create Backup for those files first!)

Newly installed mods causing this? (post your load order, maybe someone could point out which mod/mod conflict causing this)

I know my mouse is functioning just fine, as everything on it still works for Windows operations and other games, as well as having working and updated drivers, since it's done through Razer Synapse (I have a Razer Naga) and it would notify me if something was up with the driver =/

Try this: Start the game and remove anything you have hot keyed for #3.  Leave that hot key empty.  On the number pad to your right press Num Lock and then the 3 key on the number pad.  Then use WASD to fly the camera around.  Once you are in third person press the 3 key on the number pad again.  That should return you to first person.  Then try scrolling in and out with the mouse wheel.  Something else too, 1st to 3rd person and back again is controlled by a script.  It might have been sabotaged by a mod.

I would try that but, the goal is to make it work for my save game instead, if I just have to keep creating new saves constantly every time something new screws up, what is the point? Plus I used a savegame cleaner to remove orphaned scripts from my save and that didn't seem to work, and Num Pad 3 still is TFC though I'm not sure if something else has a control on that or how it would have caused the camera issues, also the fact that I can still zoom out while using a 360 controller makes me think there has to be some sort of work around using the mouse =/

you use however "Customizable Camera"?
if you mod it just uncheck all scrips are still active! if you have uninstalled it (only ESP) then the scrips are also still active.
look once in Skyrim \ data \ scrips \ if this file exists "CustomizableCamera.pex"
and in Skyrim \ data \ scrips \ source \ whether because they contain "CustomizableCamera.psc"
if so, then delete these two files! but only when the MOD is no longer used!

you use however "Customizable Camera"?

if you mod it just uncheck all scrips are still active! if you have uninstalled it (only ESP) then the scrips are also still active.

look once in Skyrim \ data \ scrips \ if this file exists "CustomizableCamera.pex"

and in Skyrim \ data \ scrips \ source \ whether because they contain "CustomizableCamera.psc"

if so, then delete these two files! but only when the MOD is no longer used!

I've used Customizable Camera for over two years now, I don't see why it would suddenly be a problem =/

have you ever tried it?
maybe is this mod with a newly installed mod in conflict! it would not be the first time that this happens. everything works fine,

until a new mod everything destroyed!

I was just trying to help, but always comes a objection back!
who can not be counseled can not be helped. :(

have you ever tried it?

maybe is this mod with a newly installed mod in conflict! it would not be the first time that this happens. everything works fine,

until a new mod everything destroyed!

I was just trying to help, but always comes a objection back!

who can not be counseled can not be helped. :(

Removing Customizable Camera had no effect on the situation =/

• 4 weeks later...

I have this exact same problem, except I've figured out how to recreate the problem any time I need to.  I definitely know that my camera issue is related to a mod.  Milk Mod Economy to be exact.  Any time I use one of the milking machines, that's pretty much it for that save file.  I won't be able to enter 1st person view or zoom my camera without starting a fresh new game.  I really like the mod and have just accepted my fate as playing Skyrim as a 3rd person action game.  I REALLY wish I could figure out how to fix this problem.

I just had an attack of the camera bug too.  Whenever I get to a good stopping point in the game I always hit 3 on the number pad and if the angles and lighting are nice I take a screen shot before going back into 1st person to make a save.  I went in the 3rd person and the camera refused to rotate.  Instead, the controls made my toon run sideways or at best 45 degrees.  I loaded the previous save and it was still doing it so I did the standard Skyrim bug fix; Ctrl+Alt+Delete, end program process in the Task Manager and start over from the last autosave.

• 5 months later...

I'm willing to bet that your lovely razor naga is the problem.  I have a razor naga epic that works perfectly in all circumstances outside of Skyrim, but with Skryim it fails utterly by randomly trying to scroll forever.  It's like it gets stuck in a loop and never stop scrolling.  Unplugging it and plugging in a P.O.S. $10 mouse instantly fixes the problem. 

Here's some references for you.

http://www.gamesas.com/scrolling-issues-makes-unusable-t226476.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/115101-13-skyrim-letting-select-speech-choices

http://skyrimforums.org/sf/threads/serious-scrolling-mouse-wheel-problem.1271/

This post might be useful.  I'm going to give it a shot and see if these .ini tweaks will help avoid the problem.

icon_post_target.gif » Tue May 29, 2012 4:48 am

Well, nothing helps me. I made in ini files
iPresentInterval=0

bGamePadRumble=0
bMouseAcceleration=0

I don't know if it matters, but I made these changes in the game settings, not the INI file. My game was always messed up with mouse tracking in the menus since launch, even through the beta patch (same patch we have now). Once I turned off the two settings, everything got better.

HAHAHAHA SUCCESS!!!  I just changed my SkyrimPrefs.ini's bGamePadRumble and bMouseAcceleration to equal zero and now I'm no longer having problems.  :D  Blasted issue has plagued me for over a year!

• 5 months later...

I have found two fixes that normally work for me when stuck in third person mode.

1. Find a blacksmith forge, and enter it, and leave it. 65 to 70% of the time this works.

2. The other is to enter console, and type "EnablePlayerControls" This one was a life save for me once, I had been playing in third person for many saves [ before realizing that i was stuck there ], and I would have had to go back a long, long way in saves with out it.

3. If there are other better fixes, i would be glade to know about them.

PS I know this is old post, but this is a problem many may have, and be googling for a fix.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mogie56

Old post or not it's still relevant cause it still happens. was wondering you say you typed   "EnablePlayerControls" I hadn't typed the whole thing out only "EPC" but to no avail. when it gets stuck in 3rd person it's stuck and nothing works to bring it out, forge, grinding wheel, tanning rack nothing. have to restart without saving to get it working again. if it happens again (and I know it will) I'll try typing the whole thing out.

• 3 months later...

I play with a controller but I have had similar problems with zooming the camera and getting stuck in first/third person. I have solved it previously by using a forge or other crafting station or sitting in a chair. This forces the camera perspective to change and sometimes fixes the problem. Worth a try if you haven't already.

THIS WORKED FOR ME THANK YOU

• 3 months later...