Thanks! I'm taking my inspiration from mods like Tame the Beasts of Skyrim, but I'm trying to get it super simple, compatible and easy... After looking at this mod I think it's actually much closer to it (although less polished, it's my first mod after all). I'm getting some ideas from Untamed, for example I didn't think of using PapyrusUtil before, but thanks to it I've solved a very annoying issue I had. In any case, my scripts don't look so professional, lol.

For now all it does is to give a lesser ability that you can use on dead animals (working on the concept that they just "fainted", fortunately the game isn't too gore-ish with creature corpses, let's just ignore the fact that you got a meter of iron sword through their skulls sometimes, lol). You basically pop a new creature under the pretense that you helped the "fainted" one recover (after you beat it into submission, that's good ol' taming, lol), and then the creature will stay there, non-hostile and with dialogue options to recruit it as a vanilla creature follower. From there on, everything should run through the game's follower system.

Once I'm happy with this, I was thinking on polishing it some more... giving some animations and fade-to-blacks to the ability so it gives some sense of time, adding some options to relocate the creatures, etc. My idea is to use it as a very skeletal framework, then add some plugins for various purposes: maybe something for feeding, training and even breeding pets, for example, but always as a separate add-on so that it's not necessary to get the whole pack. That always bothered me in this sort of mods, sometimes they come with too much shit, putting stuff on different .esp files doesn't make any difference. You can always merge them if you wanna save space.

Anyways, I'm really interested on how this one turns out, since I can get lots of ideas from it, lol. I'm busy with exams, but when I'm done this weekend, I'll surely check it out.

Tame the beasts of Skyrim.. with a twist, I like it, lol.

I wonder how the taming aspect will work when Sex Lab is integrated, some kind of clming spell or shout and then tame the beast (over time/a few visits?) through sex?

I'm keeping things very minimal, even if they don't make that much sense, because I'm prioritizing simplicity over immersion here (that's why the "default" taming will be just smack a creature dead and then resurrect it: simple, saves you from worrying about accidentally killing the creature, and gives a little measure of progression, since you gotta be able to kill whatever you wanna tame). I want to avoid overusing spells and shouts... I always though that it'd be weird to have a barbarian to use spells for stuff like drinking water, playing the guitar or peeing, lol.

I suppose a mating call would be the easiest method, as Beastess and Untamed have it. I was also thinking that maybe getting the creatures to calm after sex so that you can "talk" to them into pets would be a very simple way (not sure if it would integrate easily with rape mods, though). Personally, I'm not too expert on this stuff yet so I'd rather plug my mod into something that's already done, lol. That would also make things simpler.

This mod seems to interfere with "Animal Mansion". After sex with horse (for example) I no longer have the dialog "fuck now" necessary to continue...

How to fix?

Now I want to test with bestial essence too.

i haven't had any problem, i still get dialogs from other mods just fine. in fact iv'e edited a lot of mods to get rid of dialog for my screenshots.

Tame the beasts of Skyrim.. with a twist, I like it, lol.

I wonder how the taming aspect will work when Sex Lab is integrated, some kind of clming spell or shout and then tame the beast (over time/a few visits?) through sex?

I'm keeping things very minimal, even if they don't make that much sense, because I'm prioritizing simplicity over immersion here (that's why the "default" taming will be just smack a creature dead and then resurrect it: simple, saves you from worrying about accidentally killing the creature, and gives a little measure of progression, since you gotta be able to kill whatever you wanna tame). I want to avoid overusing spells and shouts... I always though that it'd be weird to have a barbarian to use spells for stuff like drinking water, playing the guitar or peeing, lol.

I suppose a mating call would be the easiest method, as Beastess and Untamed have it. I was also thinking that maybe getting the creatures to calm after sex so that you can "talk" to them into pets would be a very simple way (not sure if it would integrate easily with rape mods, though). Personally, I'm not too expert on this stuff yet so I'd rather plug my mod into something that's already done, lol. That would also make things simpler.

the current problem i have to solve is leveled actors. if you capture a bear for example, that bear is a leveled actor. the actorbase they are created from is dynamic, so what happens is if you capture a bear, after a few saves/loads the bear ActorBase will actually be cleaned up out from underneath the bear, causing 1 of 2 things to happen:

1. the bear will be replaced by a random NPC that now holds that temporary actor base ID
  2. the game will crash.

to get around this i am having to create and manage a set of beast race lists. "oh, this is a bear? check if we have it in our supported list."

if you read the CK wiki they say "if you want to create a copy of a levled actor, use getactorbase() instead of getleveledactorbase()" but if you do that, the bear will actually return Fox and using that actor base will spawn completely random NPC as well.

This mod seems to interfere with "Animal Mansion". After sex with horse (for example) I no longer have the dialog "fuck now" necessary to continue...

How to fix?

Now I want to test with bestial essence too.

i haven't had any problem, i still get dialogs from other mods just fine. in fact iv'e edited a lot of mods to get rid of dialog for my screenshots.

I tried with an old save, now I'll try with a new one

If you call GetActorBase() you get the level actor form then, don't you? The one that's a LVLN object in CK. Can't you take that along with these functions to identify the creature that you wanna spawn? What I'm thinking about is:

You call GetActorBase() on the target creature. Then you call GetType() to make sure that it is a LVLN. If that's the case, use a GetNumForms() + GetNthForm() while loop to browse the levelled character list. Or, if you get a NPC_ form type, that sould be already a proper ActorBase.

I'm not really sure of what exactly you'd have to use to pick the proper creature from the leveled list, but I suppose that comparing their races and levels would be a good start. Once you get something that matches, that should be a proper ActorBase as well.

Either case, I think you can go even deeper if you dig through their templates until you either get "none" or something with a different race than the target creature (for example, if it's a cave bear, the base NPC uses black bear as template). I don't think that this is necessary, but since I have no idea if any of this even works, let's just pop the idea, lol. Some NPCs are scripted for quests, but they tend to use the base ones as template... So I guess it'd be a safer bet to do this, because you'd get a version of the creature that's probably script-free.

If all of this works the way I think it should, you shouldn't need to make any beast race list to compare, which would mean that the mod would be compatible with everything by default (which is something I'm also obsessed with, so I totally understand your annoyance over the issue).

I'm not even sure if you've tried all this already, but in case you did, at least it will save me from testing it again unnecesarily, lol. What do you think?

Ok, to answer myself, I've made some tests, and I think it's actually easier than I had guessed before. Unless there's something I'm missing, if you use something like:

; akActor: the target creature that you wanna tame
akActor.GetLeveledActorBase().GetTemplate()

You should get the proper NPC formID for the creature you want to tame. I tested this spawning a couple NPCs from the leveledCharacter "LvlWolf", ID was 000B83C1. The leveled actor ID that you get from the function is just that, and the IDs that I got from the template were 0010FE05 and 00023ABE, matching the wolves that are supposed to come from there.

So I would say that the proper way to do this would be to use both GetActorBase() and GetLeveledActorBase() functions, and compare them. If they got the same ID then you got a non-leveled target already. If they don't match, use GetTemplate().

Apart from that, I think you can call the GetTemplate() function on subsequent templates, as I said before, to make sure that you got the "purest" actorBase. Just check that they're still the same race and skin, and that should be the cleanest method.

Ok, to answer myself, I've made some tests, and I think it's actually easier than I had guessed before. Unless there's something I'm missing, if you use something like:

; akActor: the target creature that you wanna tame
akActor.GetLeveledActorBase().GetTemplate()

You should get the proper NPC formID for the creature you want to tame. I tested this spawning a couple NPCs from the leveledCharacter "LvlWolf", ID was 000B83C1. The leveled actor ID that you get from the function is just that, and the IDs that I got from the template were 0010FE05 and 00023ABE, matching the wolves that are supposed to come from there.

So I would say that the proper way to do this would be to use both GetActorBase() and GetLeveledActorBase() functions, and compare them. If they got the same ID then you got a non-leveled target already. If they don't match, use GetTemplate().

Apart from that, I think you can call the GetTemplate() function on subsequent templates, as I said before, to make sure that you got the "purest" actorBase. Just check that they're still the same race and skin, and that should be the cleanest method.

I'm working upon a tweaked version of this idea. Thanks for this!

I did actually try the GetTemplate() cascade to get the purist, and that worked well. However I then realised that if im dealing with a snow wolf, ill cascade back down to normal black wolf. So I am not going to go purist that way you can breed the various skins as you want.

Yeah, that's why you'd check for the creature's skin as well (with the GetSkin() function). I tried that and you'd stay on the snow wolf alright (or in my tests, on the red wolf). I think the check is useful to avoid picking NPCs that are scripted or unique. For example, if you pick something like a spider from the first dungeon you'd end with a pet that has a weakening perk, or maybe even some quest alias.

I'm looking forward to see your take on this. Also, I hope that my reply to the other thread (the one about vanishing magic effects) was of some use.

Nice work!

No issues so far, except the Mating Call seems to affect undead creatures as well, which may be wanted that way.

Suggestions:

Levels for different creatures so the Mating Call does not affect creatures if your level doesn't match theirs. The Player would be forced to work with weaker creatures first before gaining the experience to tame stronger ones.

Taming undead creatures could be a optional.

the only thing if i disable undead then it will not allow death hounds anymore. i also got a falmer with the shout. the spell is set to hit "ActorTypeAnimal" and "ActorTypeCreature" but bethesda ended up adding a shittone of things that aren't animals in the use info. i am not terribly concerned about it because so far everythign i've accidentally i'd consider mostly mindless anyway.

i've already got a lot of gameplay things like the levels in mind. if this last release 104 went smoothly ill start working on the gameplay because that means there is no technical problem with the mechanic.

I was reading about people still resurrecting the dead, to fuck them. I had that problem in the first release, but don't get it now.

IDEA's...

Level 100... Untamed Necromantic Shout

You can resurrect dead animals, once a day. You can use the shout, and all dead animals around you resurrect to fight for you. They will keep their stats, for people trying to level up their animals.

Level 80... Untamed Animal Love Boost ( click on animal )

You have a favourite animal, you don't want it to die. Then why not give it a boost to its health, with some sweet loving. You click on an animal, select UNTAMED ANIMAL LOVE ( give your health to an animal to boost its own ). You have sex with it, it will drain your health bar, you take a health potion or heal yourself. The animal has a double health bar for 30 minutes...

Level 60... Untamed Necromantic Resurrection ( Click on dead animal )

You make love to a dead animal, resurrecting it with you life force. It drains 95% of your health, you will recover it. But the animal will stay alive as long as its borrowed life is there, it wont regain health unless you give it to the animal. The animal will have a magic glow, if its possible...

Has anyone used this mod while playing through the quests in Bestial Essence? Does the taming feature break the quests? It sounds from the description that it has the potential to do so.

I tried it and it all works perfectly for now!  ;)

Has anyone used this mod while playing through the quests in Bestial Essence? Does the taming feature break the quests? It sounds from the description that it has the potential to do so.

I tried it and it all works perfectly for now!  ;)

i would hope so. the entire point was to not conflict with anything so that all the beast mods could be used

I haven't used it myself but I was worried when I read that creatures would follow you around after woohoo. I have creatures locked up that need to remain so for story pruposes.

I always dismis animals related to quests of your mod, just in case. Always seems to work perfectly.

With v103, (I will upgrade soon), I was using the mod and noticed that the Level-up stories fired when going lvl 1 to 2 but also after human sex and downgrading lvl 2 to 1.

yes, heh. i noticed that myself too. not done anything about it yet.

I haven't used it myself but I was worried when I read that creatures would follow you around after woohoo. I have creatures locked up that need to remain so for story pruposes.

I always dismis animals related to quests of your mod, just in case. Always seems to work perfectly.

this to be extra sure.

What about making the cubs to grow up after a while, or at least on demand?

Once I'm done with my mod's framework (which now is 90% done, should just need some cosmetic tweaks, code optimization, nothing too serious) I would love to explore the idea of a "taking care of your pets" addon which would involve breeding pets and having cubs, sort of like what you got there (just shrunk versions of them). Maybe feeding and levelling them as well. Too bad that I gotta leave for exams for the rest of the week and won't have access to my computer for a while. Next week I wanna have all of this done and see if I can start working on some add-ons.

It shouldn't be too hard to implement, I think. I'd use a function based on OnUpdateGameTime(), swap the cub for the adult version there... You could place it on the Quest script so you don't have to worry about unloading actors. Call the update function only for the first cub that should grow, and then evaluate for the next event there based on the recorded time the cub was birthed, so you don't need to multithread for each cub.

Ever thought about making creature "blacklist" i.e. MCM option to disregard some animals/animal families for the purpose of taming?

I mean, I find it funny, that you get raped by 10 Draugrs and they immediatelly become your slaves... while technically not even being animals (undead Nords). Or falmers (Elves). Or vampire lords (w/e but much more intelligent than your regular wolf).

Not sure if this is related to this mod or SL Dialogues or even maybe a conflict between the two, but a werewolf from my pack lost the ability to speak - I can open the dialogue menu, but I can't click any topics.