How To: Animated Woohoo - A complete Step-for-Step Walkthrough

On a different note, I'm finally starting to understand rigging :D

attachicon.gifRigging.jpg

If you get time, and can find dog's with there dinger, I think sims 3 need more creature animations, If I had a rig, I would make some of those, just to give variety to some of the slacker area's in Sim's 3 world's.  I guess the alien rig is the same.

a teen, adult rig both ways af teen, and am teen might be nice to have, if KW can distinguish between the teen, and adult.

I think you need to convert the mesh of the dog penis in the game to a blender file and attach it to the mesh of the animal rig in blender. I never did it myself, but I'm quite sure that is what needed. 

Oh and by the way, I'm not going to setup an animal rig, as I really despise animal on human animations and vice versa. I'm sorry, it's just really not my cup of tea. 

Then I assume we will have pitchipoy rig for sims 3 in no time ;) Looking forward to it *eg*

I would be happy to share, but not by dropping my rigs out in the open (IF they do work, I'm still learning, failing and testing).

What I can share, if they really work, is HOW to do it. There is one thing very important with rigging, and that is understanding what you are doing with your rig. You may need a different setup for different kind of animations. If I would just  drop the rigs here 99% of the people would have no freaking clue what I did with it and how to work with it, and how to make adjustments when needed without messing the rig up. 

When the time is there and I know what works and not, I will try to explain how you can accomplish such a thing yourself. But for now, I'm still learning myself, following tutorials, and most of the time I don't completely understand what I did myself. 

totally understand. I was trying rigging myself following different tutorials (easy rigging with pitchipoy etc etc). :P Think i must have done something wrong, cause when trying to import an animation for it, legs and arms went in all directions twisting and curling :) Yeah No idea what I am doing most of the time, but hopefully bits and pieces get stuck in the process of failing, and I end up learning something ;)

Then I assume we will have pitchipoy rig for sims 3 in no time ;) Looking forward to it *eg*

I would be happy to share, but not by dropping my rigs out in the open (IF they do work, I'm still learning, failing and testing).

What I can share, if they really work, is HOW to do it. There is one thing very important with rigging, and that is understanding what you are doing with your rig. You may need a different setup for different kind of animations. If I would just  drop the rigs here 99% of the people would have no freaking clue what I did with it and how to work with it, and how to make adjustments when needed without messing the rig up. 

When the time is there and I know what works and not, I will try to explain how you can accomplish such a thing yourself. But for now, I'm still learning myself, following tutorials, and most of the time I don't completely understand what I did myself. 

totally understand. I was trying rigging myself following different tutorials (easy rigging with pitchipoy etc etc). :P Think i must have done something wrong, cause when trying to import an animation for it, legs and arms went in all directions twisting and curling :) Yeah No idea what I am doing most of the time, but hopefully bits and pieces get stuck in the process of failing, and I end up learning something ;)

Yeah, I also made that mistake I while ago, haha! But that mistake brought me on the right path though... so don't give up. I'm testing this rig and it seems to work. But I'm not there yet, a few alterations are needed, and then I have to set up the male too ofcourse. (sigh, it's so much work. But I'm kinda pleased with myself that it does what I want though ;))

One tip: you can't directly change the rig of sims. Meaning that you can't re scale and re position the main transform bones, as that distorts the mesh. What you cán do, is let a second armature (which you can edit!) correspondent with the main one. It's difficult to understand at first, but it works. 

I can't explain it quite well yet, as I only have this figured out since yesterday. But maybe this little tip brings you on the right path too... ;)

post-1018818-0-57683300-1486048606_thumb.gif

Yay! It REALLY works, I finally have a functional IK rig! (Click the .gif to see) 

1.  I have been able to IK lock some joints, but nothing like you did there, It Is something I am not fully understanding, I can lock like one hand, and one foot, or a knee, but if I try to do both feet, or hands, or knees, the rig messes up.

2.   It does not effect the saving of the animation at least, as I did a small KW_animation with three IK lock's on it, and exported, with out removing the IK's, and had no problems in game, animation was just fine.

3.    This is also thanks to my realizing that the combinde rig's from TheMasters tutorial were sort of screwed, and MaryJane teaching me not to use the combined rigs from Themaster tutorial.

4.   As to the creature rig's, I only wanted them, because there are as best I can tell, very few creature animations, and I figured as many like them, it would be nice to increase that number.

I much prefer to work with two adult bodies, but I have no problems with anyone's fetish, and in fantasy I do not mind as long as that is where it stays.

But no thing under teen age ( I like to think they are 18 or 19 ), and I do not like snuff, not even in fantasy, I also dislike amputee things they bother me as well. Personal dislikes we all have them I am sure.

2.   It does not effect the saving of the animation at least, as I did a small KW_animation with three IK lock's on it, and exported, with out removing the IK's, and had no problems in game, animation was just fine.

4.   As to the creature rig's, I only wanted them, because there are as best I can tell, very few creature animations, and I figured as many like them, it would be nice to increase that number.

IK bones indeed work fine if you export the animation without removing them, the only thing you need to do is make sure you also keyframe the bones the IK bone is controlling. In blender, you can make a neat animation using only IK bones and drivers, and only locrot those, but for the sims the animation will not play correctly if you don't locrot and keyframe the bones it's affecting. I did a lot of testing with it. Test, test, test, don't settle for less, learn, learn, learn. 

I'm happy to say that my rig works perfectly, so I only have to setup the male and then I can start to animate for real. In that process, I will likely deal with other problems, and I think I know enough of blender now to solve them by editing the rig. I watched A LOT of tutorials, read two blender books and had many sleepless nights, but it's paying off. I'm very pleased. ^^

As for the animal thingy, you don't have to defend yourself sweety, really! I don't mind what other people like to do, and if there are people who want those animations, or want to make them, that is totally fine by me. I just can't stand watching it myself and therefor I'm not capable of animating such things. 

So... I thought my rigs were ready to start animating. Then I immediately stumbled upon some errors when I wanted to get started. They were quickly solved, but then I found out that I forgot to rig the hands and add IK to them, LOL. It is quite needed for the animation I want to make, so, back to rigging once more.

Without a doubt: Hands are a total bitch to rig, my oh my. This really is the hardest part of the whole rig. It still doesn't work as I want it to work, and I spent almost the whole evening working on it. ONLY ONE HAND. Damn. If this hand finally does what it should be doing, there are 'only' three more to do. :(

To be honest, I kinda enjoy rigging, but not if it's like this. This is "throw your laptop through the window" material. 

post-1018818-0-59588000-1486166704_thumb.gif

This is my progress until now (it's a gif again, click it to make it play). 

My bed is calling my name though, so it's time to sleep. I do hope I can get back at it tomorrow, if I can find the time for it. 

I made two masturbation animations with forward kinematics for the sims 4. For sims 3 I finally have IK rigs, after a lot of hard work, but animating is still a lot harder then I expected! It's mostly because of the two actors... Timing is hard, but also setting the right motion so everything looks natural. I worked a full day on one animation, and it still is far from ready. There are some blender secrets related to animating that I don't know of... 

But I won't give up! I'm gonna learn this shizz.

When I have three animations ready that are good enough, I ofcourse will share them. But It may take me a week. Or two. LOL. 

post-1018818-0-98594100-1486329799_thumb.gif

(gif)

De derpy faces won't stay there ofcourse. I didn't come to the facial expressions yet. ;) And yes, it needs A LOT of refining. 

I placed and Object in a scene I was working on, cabinet like you did, I figured everyone has a kitchen, but it was like above the heads of my rig's.

I moved it down where I needed it, but I am wondering if I do and animation with it will it be right ?

I placed and Object in a scene I was working on, cabinet like you did, I figured everyone has a kitchen, but it was like above the heads of my rig's.

I moved it down where I needed it, but I am wondering if I do and animation with it will it be right ?

I didn't import a cabinet, but a counter. You need a counter. A cabinet is the thing above the counter. ;)

• 1 year later...

Hi guys,

So I been trying to get into this whole animation thing for the Sims 3. So far I haven't been able to make any progress with animations, the reason why? Well I'm trying to create a rig from scratch, actually I have already created it but as soon as I save the clip and try to load it again it exports nothing, to be more precise it doesn't saves anything, it only loads the default T pose of the rig.

I have deleted the original skeleton that comes with the af rig and then created a whole new skeleton from scratch, I think that might be the reason that the sims 3 animation tools are not saving any information when I try to save my clips due not being able to detect my custom made skeleton. So with that logic in mind I tried to modify the original skeleton in the af rig to suit it to my needs (IK 's and FK's) but no luck so far, as soon as I implement IK's the body deforms  and I end up with a mess.

Bottomline I need to know 2 things:

- Can I create a new skeleton for the af/am rigs and be able to save the clips succesfully, if so, how?

- If the answer of the question above is "no" then I need some one kind enough to give me some tips for editing the original skeletons. 

Thanks for your time!

• 3 years later...

Thanks for the tutorial. I've been wanting to try animation for the Sims 3 but really didn't know where to start. Hopefully I can get a better rig again, because right now I have to work on this 15 year old Dell Inspiron. We'll see how it goes...

I've been learning how to animate the Sims for a few hours today and so far the results are hilarious. I'm going to have to draw some stick figure animations and study a lot of animation to get this right. 

Thanks to all the artists that provided the rigs and setting up the cool looking Blender GUI. I'll make sure to post some fail gifs of my first animations. 

https://imgur.com/a/N055inC

1 hour ago, zader9 said:

I'm going to have to draw some stick figure animations and study a lot of animation to get this right. 

I stumbled across this a long time ago, before she deleted her account. But, every great animator begins somewhere. Way back when I tried and failed miserably at it, I came across The Master's page and a series of questions by someone now shown only as guest... 

FYI, as I remember the posts from when there was a name, the name was Lady666! ))) So, keep at it and check those other threads too. @MaryJane and @Clydie are around some times, and can answer questions when they are here. )))

I forgot I had downloaded some MaryJane hot tub animation blend files. Wow she is a very talented animator, her animations really show me what it's going to take.  Also since I want to create my own characters out side of the Sims in Blender this will be good practice for animating. Now if I could just figure out why my UV map is not showing up on my little cowboy model when I try to render. I love Blender but it's really wonky when trying to learn what you're doing wrong at times. I guess it seems that way since I don't know how to use it properly. Operator failure as they say. 

Edited by zader9

Update...I'm working on the animation side of things playing with rigs. I'm a little confused as to how a animation would work with a wall or furniture. I guess you can import furniture into Blender somehow. I'm not sure how posititioning on a wall works, so I need to look into that. This is going to take awhile and I need to find a regular day to day job this week. 

Everytime I get a new job I think of this line by Vito.  "Think of those sandwiches Jim Made you."  Not that there is a Jim in my life. I'm not into Jim's but to each his/her own lol.

On 2/5/2017 at 3:24 PM, MaryJane said:

Animating is still a lot harder then I expected! It's mostly because of the two actors... Timing is hard, but also setting the right motion so everything looks natural. I worked a full day on one animation, and it still is far from ready.

post-1018818-0-98594100-1486329799_thumb.gif

(gif)

I'm finding this out now, animating is hard as hell. I thought maybe I could do a simple animation and even that is quite a chore.  I think like the master said to start with a basic movement of what you want.And then work off of that. I'm having problems even doing the basic movements everything is very unatural as to be expected. Also I got more involved with Blender, so I've been working on a lot of tutorials trying to learn more about modeling and rigging.  Like this post though I'm not giving up, it's going to take me some time to get this right. 

On 2/5/2017 at 3:24 PM, MaryJane said:

I haven't had time to work on much yet, I just got a new job so I've been dealing with that. Once I get a proper schedule going I'll dive more into this and hopefully get a lot better. I still have to read the Master's tutorial on how to get the animations into the Sims. For now it's working on fixing my lack of animation skills, which are obviously very poor. Have a good laugh though and the gif animation was my very first attempt at animating in the Sims. I have a lot to learn in Blender too, but I'm getting there. Hopefully I can buy a new Laptop because it's going to take me forever on this old Dell Inspiron.  

0001-0035.gif

4 hours ago, zader9 said:

I still have to read the Master's tutorial on how to get the animations into the Sims.

Masters nice tutorial is a little out dated at this point. Here he provided a template for the older AW XML system.

If you like, provide me with your *.blend file (or the exported animations) via PM and I will provide a KW and OKW file as a template for you. Then you can see your animation above in Sims 3 too and later on extend this template with further animations.

Edited by Clydie
3 hours ago, Clydie said:

Masters nice tutorial is a little out dated at this point. Here he provided a template for the older AW XML system.

If you like, provide me with your *.blend file (or the exported animations) via PM and I will provide a KW and OKW file as a template for you. Then you can see your animation above in Sims 3 too and later on extend this template with further animations.

I'll try to make a better animation and send the blend file.  It will probably still be bad but a little better than the animation above. I'll work on the animation today and Tuesday and see if I can come up with something decent.  I also read that the rig I'm working with doesn't position itself properly in the game, so I have to figure that out problem too. 

Thanks for the info and the help.