How do you justify your character wearing skimpy outfits? [Roleplaying]

LibertyPrime

Do you try to create any justifications? Any roleplaying reasons? I.e., "my character wears skimpy outfit because she is a rebel and does not care about what other people think; besides, she wears a visible magical armor that protects her, so her armor/outfit really is just for decoration!", or do you just make your character wear skimpy outfits and simply not give a darn?

I replace every vanilla outfit with a skimpy version so I fit right in! Hah!

Although in Oblivion, I was able to simply use sigil stones to make any clothing offer high protection regardless of design. Too bad there's no equivalent in Skyrim, not even an armor rating enchantment.

I justify it by saying she looks good. If I was playing someone that wore nothing but full body armor I doubt I would be playing for long or would want to mod for them.

@Mud

You could always just load them into the CK quickly and change the stats of something to your liking.

For me it is not so much a whore... but more along the lines of free spirited individual.

Sometimes I'll run thru and make money via Radiant Prostitution, or the Sexlab Guild (been a while since I ran that one).

Sometimes I'll run thru and make money via Captured Dreams (that used to be easy to go back to back on retrieve items, but with the latest version you can't run that quest over and over).

Sometimes I'll run thru just as a bad ass, who doesn't give a shit (no slavery or prostitution mods setup up, just skimpy cloths with OP smithing skills and armor ratings).

All of my playthru's however use a realistic weapon and armor weight esp, along with an unlimited enchantment and disenchant everything esp's (I should probably combine all 4 or 5 of those into a single esp... yeah some day).

I figure if she's the dragonborn and carries the blood of a god in her veins (Dragon's being descents of Akatosh or what not).

She can figure out how to break down items that other mortals can not and then use that enchantment on what ever she wants... but that is just me.

And like someone else said. I use Armor re-placers like CT77's set (heavily tweaked to work on Demonfet's UNP body type) so all of the female are wearing skimpy clothing/armors.

The 2 major RPG style games I've played in the last 4 to 5 years are Skyrim and Kingdom of Amalur.... so yeah if it aint skimpy, it's not really something I'm going to keep going back to.

Skimpy outfits, allows for more flexible movement during the battle, unlike full plate armours when they only slow you down. Not to mention I preffer more a skintight outfits (chainmails), it covers you fully and also provides a bit of protection, not much but its still usefull.

I play usually with a 2hand swords and I have a mod with a really high dmg values on everything so if I get hit I die. ( sometimes 2 hits ). Everything depends on your abillity to parry/block incoming attacks.

Prepare to die edition~

Elder Scrolls series... let's see....

NA_Arena_BoxArt.jpg

So the skimpy outfits suddenly look surprisingly lore-friendly, don't they?

Those were the days when "Fantasy" was all heavy metal stuff, before we were diving into the era of double moral standards and hypocrisy.

A game like Skyrim needs to be as child-friendly as possible, that's why all people are dressed in cloth from chin to toe. At the same time we implement slow-motion killcams so they don't miss any details of decapitations.

In my Skyrim, women are less repressed/ashamed/embarrassed of themselves or their bodies. All the young women (no children or elders) dress skimpy, so she is just dressed like everybody else. And by skimpy I mean the original definition of the word, showing lots of skin, but all the "important bits" covered.

Actually, for the times I feel like playing a Wood Elf character, I role-play a backstory that in Valenwood, all unmarried young female wood elves go about fully naked (when not in battle) so I use that as an excuse to have her walk about cities and country sides in her birthday suit. Of course Skyrim is not Valenwood, so going about naked is considered "Dangerously Nude" ;).

I never play my female characters as a "whore" or a slut. She only has consensual sex with her husband (if she has one - which is rare) never with anyone else, not even for money (like a whore) or not for money (like a slut). Unfortunately she has the body of a sex goddess and lives in a land where evil men and creatures who can't resist having their way with her when they defeat her in combat. And because she is the dragonborn and living in a magical land, she can get impregnated by anything male.

Elder Scrolls series... let's see....

NA_Arena_BoxArt.jpg

So the skimpy outfits suddenly look surprisingly lore-friendly, don't they?

Those were the days when "Fantasy" was all heavy metal stuff, before we were diving into the era of double moral standards and hypocrisy.

A game like Skyrim needs to be as child-friendly as possible, that's why all people are dressed in cloth from chin to toe. At the same time we implement slow-motion killcams so they don't miss any details of decapitations.

Child friendly AND politically correct. I do miss the old days of Sword and Sorcery fantasy.

Well, if you want to be "realistic", while skimpy clothes are technically friendly to the lore of TES, Skyrim is in the far north and would probably be a consistant 50 or 60 degrees or much lower than that (depending on the hold) year round, so skimpy clothes don't really make allot of sense from that stand point. On the other hand if you play as a sorceress, one could argue that she wouldn't need to worry about armor as much when she has the ability to make her skin as tough as steel, as far as keeping warm, maybe she has some kind of warmth ability going on to protect her from the constantly frigid temperatures of Skyrim, or if you play as a Vampire the cold would not be concerning you very much.

Either way I would imagine that skimpy armor would make for one hell of a distraction on the battle field. :P

My character Crystal is very confident, she enjoys how she looks and wants to show it off. Thus she wears skimpy clothing. Like Katarina's Armor. She enjoys how men drool over her, and how women get jealous of her. 
She also enjoys to seduce both men and women; and thus she dresses alluring to catch attention. 

Hmm... in my game my characters are generally whatever personality I think of them to be at the time and how they dress will dictate that. If I have a kind of stealthy, thief/assassin girl, with low morals. She likes to flash it, and fuck whoever, but she's not a whore or a slut. She's simply in control of her own sexuality, just like any dude. 

Or she's a super upright type, somewhat fussy, always helping the local citizens and only has sex with her husband generally, tho of course she follows the lady in the streets and freak in the sheets.

Or she's a rogue type, who's pretty casual about how she dresses and who she messes with. Oh? You saw a nipple? Ok... it didn't poke you in the eye, so what's the problem? Yea.. that's her attitude lol 

And sometimes, my characters simply slap on something that I thought was cuuuuute and I wanted them to wear for a bit till I got tired of it  .. yea pretty much it lol 

Tho I will admit, when my characters are in the snow, I just.. can't leave her in skimpy stuff so I slap on the skin tight sexy armor that covers skin but doesn't leave anything to the imagination. *nod nod* .. its gotta be sexy either way lol.. sexy and warm!

-C

I actually use it to fix a different unjustified gameplay issue. How is it that armour shaped for an orc male just happens to fit an elf woman? Being able to put on looted armour no problems is messed up. Even clothing is rarely perfectly one-size-fits-all, let alone metal armour or boiled leather. So there's a mod where your character can craft a remodeled version of armour at a tanning rack, and the remodeled version has... noticeably got some parts missing. Such is the price of getting randomly-grabbed outfits to fit, they simply weren't built to shape to your character. If I do purchase it from a blacksmith or a tailor, I don't remodel it, but really, what percentage of your equipment is usually store-bought instead of looted? Next to none, and you're not gonna downgrade from skimpy dwemer to well-smithed iron, that's just putting yourself at risk.

As I'm using a complete replacer, it really doesn't matter as skimpy-clothing becomes the lore. It's the "If everyone's wearing skimpy stuff, no one is" effect. This also means that I can install pretty much any skimpy armor as it fits the "new" lore. Even if Skyrim's cold, it's inhabitants would get used to it. Hell, my replacer is usually not that skimpy on common clothes anyway, so add-in Wet and Cold and everything looks completely fine.

Sometimes I do however wish there was a good-looking Summer Skyrim that didn't kill my framerate, but that can easily be ignored (besides, Im not sure how I'd feel wandering a Skyrim without snow).

I usually only dress very skimpy when I'm playing characters that I've already decided are exotic in some way or are sexually overt for a reason. I've always liked that very un-pc John Milius style of barbarian girl, so that's how my orcs tend to come out. In that instance it's a style over substance thing for me.  

My recent elf girl I played as a blade of Dibella who regarded all feminine wiles to be legitimate arsenal in her righteous cause. Frank sexuality was her equivalent of piety or an act of devotion.

Her sister was a proper old school Bosmer forest girl who was basically a wildling. She equated an abundance of clothing with softness and civility and of compromising her nature. She also didn't much like people so it pleased her to upset their delicate sensibilities whenever possible.

All my vampires have been typical blood beasts who use sexuality as a motive force. Rather than be all superhuman, jumping from roof to roof like Spring Heeled Jack and noisily pouncing on prey, I think smart vamps would be more like the angler fish waving it's luminescent lure in the darkness to attract a meal, my vamps use the things their forsaken gods gave them to bring their dinner right to their table. 

Personally for my main Female PC, she has a complicated backstory that leads to the way she dresses. I.E. Most of the time she's near-fully dressed, or may show off a little skin...but on occasion, when she needs money or is simply feeling 'adventurous' she will strip it all off and go nude. She's a proud nord woman, she loves the land, and loves feeling herself IN the land. Yes, she HAS whored herself out. She was raped when she was younger after having been kidnapped by the thalmor, and then became something of a whore for a while as she worked her way back to skyrim. She discovered the effect she could have on people (Give credit to her dragon blood being an attractant...'All night in the sheets' sort of thing), and doesn't mind using it to her advantage. As long as SHE picks the time and place, or has someone she trusts fully, she's ok with sex and giving it up.

Now for my newest couple of playthroughs, I have female followers with my male PC. For my dark-elf rogue with a somewhat wild kahjiit follower, both of them are fine with her getting them some cash, him pimping her...but at the same time they know that they are deeply attracted to one another. So, when she's whoring, or even out and about, her clothing is skimply.

My other playthrough has a male and female Lyakios, bonded to one another. They are rangers, most comfortable outside a city...living in the wild easily lends itself to them not wearing too much except when necessary...

Everyone else is doing it (except for the kids. They get to dress down as a mark of the completion of their rites of passage into adulthood,I suppose. The elderly get to retire from enduring the harsh winds of perpetual winter so it comes 'round full circle),like all of the characters in ancient Heroic artwork (take Greek and Roman art for example) or,to a lesser extent,modern blood sport participants,so there is no further reason required in world for why the characters I play wear skimpy outfits.

The fact that they tend to be beast-people doesn't even have to factor into things.

Archived