Newlife (adult game)

Serpentus

Public version 0.2.7 is out.

although i hate java, i have to admit, awesome game, please keep it up!  :heart:  much better and elegant than the shit i wrote in python.

Please don't disparage your own work like that it makes me and I'm sure the others sad. I hope to see more of your work in the future.

Also 0.2.8 is out and it's added a new activity dancing.

How do people enjoy text-based 'games' like this? .-. 

Use your imagination.

Not everything needs a clear picture in order for you to get your rocks off.

Why do you think things like "phone sex" are still around?

It's literally a just girl using a husky voice whispering all kinds of dirty, suggestive shit to you.

Over the phone.

All you have to do is listen and imagine.

It goes the same way for text based games.

• 3 weeks later...

It is short for now. As I remember game has main theme of pregnancy fetish  so if game would be longer then author had to finish it first and it is a lot of work. Game is short to not deal with that(add smaller things first) yet and attract some attention/feedback. ATM you can prolong game by editing game or memory.

How do you do this?

How do I download and install this game, there don't seem to be any directions for clueless people like me?

Open the link in the OP, click the link on the right side (from mega or mediafire), download it.

Then just open the file with double click. (I'm sure you already have java installed on your computer.)

Oh btw, the latest one is ver. 0.2.10

Yeah. Blowjobs need to be a thing. So many possibilities, like a sub character reluctantly having to suck their fat, abusive boyfriends dick while they are driving to or home from their date. 

Also need to be able to choose same age and body types as you can when creating a male. Maybe I want to be an obese, 60yr old slut. Don't judge me.

I think you could also utilise money in bit more in the way you have to play the game. Such as having to pay bills to keep your house or having to pay for the cheque that your deadbeat boyfriend made you handle. This could then force the character to possibly have to use "other" means of paying for things or getting enough money to pay the rent. 

Make things like birth control pills expensive so that the player has to further manage their money if they have one of the less trustworthy guys over for a "DVD".

This game has so much potential and I find myself playing it more than most of my games as a timeslayer, more than a carnal "Bedtime game".

GG dev. 9/10. Needs more blowjobs and landlord sex payments.

*Some extra ideas

P.S set up a patreon or something like that so I can throw monies at you

Ew... how about a sub character reluctantly having to suck their handsome, healthy clean (and, ok, maybe abusive) boyfriend's dick and/or having to fuck him in other ways?

I mean, ok, maybe you like such things, and that is fine, but I think it should be fair to point out that some of us have other preferences?

(And if your question really was - why would someone be reluctant in that situation? If that was your question, please ask it...)

Added an advanced character creation section to the female character creation screen on the patron version. This contains some cheats & special customisation options, although more will be added in future releases.

Anyone expand on what that entails?

Currently it adds in extra money and full knowledge of NPCs traits.  You can also set the ratios of NPC personalities in the basic spawn pool, but not "special" spawns, like the dance class NPCs.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi there, I'm the developer for this game. I've found this thread and I thought I'd post here myself so people can ask me about the game if they want.
I won't go through and answer most of the previous posts here, as they're generally months old, but I will reply to the more recent ones.

In current Newlife news:
- I'm working on some anal sex content for the next release. You can expect that quite soon - probably late this month. I originally wasn't keen on adding anal, but it won a recent vote from the patrons, so it's finally going in. Hopefully it'll be a good one.
- There's a big vote going on which will make some important decisions about where development will go in the near future. I'll know the results at the start of next year so you can expect a big announcement around then.
- I'm still considering the UI situation: there are some issues for players with high screen resolutions especially. Really, the whole UI could use a complete re-write in something other than Swing. Unfortunately the original UI work took several months back in 2014 so I'll need to be careful in order not to risk my minimum update schedule. I'm currently working on a different side-project (a guide for player submissions to Newlife), but when that's done I might dedicate some extra time to experimenting with UI options.

I love this game so much, it's very different from other games

Thank you! That's really kind of you to say :)

Meh I like it when it had 3 updates per month, now it barely has one. 5k for 30~ lines of code per month, smells like scam.

Ok, so I'm aware that there are malicious accusations being spread by trolls with a grudge against me. I'm not accusing you of being one of them, but it looks like you've been reading stuff they've posted, and so I'm going to set the record straight here. In the past I've usually ignore these sort of attacks, but I do worry that this is making people just accept them as truth, so I'll reply this time.

Since early in development there have been some people online who've had it in for me and my game. The initial set of attacks were based around accusing me of being a "prude", so I think that these are people who are angry that I've refused to implement their favourite fetishes. I want to highlight that I'm not accusing you of being one of those people, but I definitely get the impression you've read some of their hate posts and are getting a very extreme view of my work.

There are a few places online where discussion of Newlife is dominated by these people - 4chan was particularly hateful at one point, although I haven't looked there in a while. They don't often post where I'm likely to reply myself so forums tend to alternate jarringly between "splendidostrich is a scumbag lazy incompetent scamming cheating thieving prude" and ones that are overwhelmingly supportive.
The general tactic seems to be the classic troll one of "throw shit until some sticks", and I've had all kind of accusations thrown at me. Often these are backed up with outright lies or by taking things I've said out of context - this is one reason why I have to be very cautious when I make public posts and I now tend to avoid publicly discussing development if I can help it.

The increasing complexity of the game and size of new content means that the number of updates/month has reduced over time even as development time has remained constant (I'll talk about this more below) and so they've had fertile ground with attacks along the lines of "the developer is a lazy scammer". There's also these attacks based on the amount of money I make - I certainly am making a good living at this point, but I'll discuss that as well.

I have seen this "30 lines of code" claim on one of these hate threads, so I'm guessing you've read it and mistakenly assumed whoever said it knew what they were talking about. This is not the case - it's an outright lie.
Sadly it's much easier for trolls to make this sort of accusation behind my back than it is for me to respond, so on plenty of places I've let this sort of claim go unchallenged.
If you're interested, I don't typically count up the number of lines I write, but a quick check at the current dev code reveals that it's 112,624 lines. That counts code comments (which, after all need time to write too and I can't easily exclude them from the search) but doesn't include blank lines, any files I haven't written myself, or any non-java stuff like the custom NPC guide. The recently-added blackjack scene by itself is 3,694 non-blank lines. If it gives you a hint as to why releases have slowed down, the three-way lesbian dance scene (an older scene which was also written in just one release) is just 833.

The second point I'd like to address is the game being accused of being a scam. This seems like a very bizarre accusation to me, because no-one should be putting money towards the game without their eyes complely open. After all, the game is free to play. Completely free. No need to make an account, promise any money, nothing. No-one should be supporting me on Patreon without having played the game and had a good idea of what it's like. And if they don't want to support me or don't have the money then they can continue playing the full game for free.
The update schedule is also easily available. You can just look on my blog to see the time between updates, and I maintain a dated list of every update in the first post of the original release thread on Hongfire. Newlife has been online for over 2 years and I've been working on it for more than 3. That means that you are not going to see dramatic revolutionary change: a month of development is only around 1/36 the time that's already gone into it, so you can expect incremental improvements rather than massive jumps in what the game can do.

I'll also point out that I have a monthly patreon account and that I have never even once gone a calendar month without releasing a new update. In retrospect a per-release one would probably have been better, but it's impossible to change now as that could lead to people being overcharged.
I don't see what could possibly be a scam about Newlife under those circumstances. All the information needed to make an informed decision about the game is completely public and easily available on my own site. This isn't like, say, Steam where people have to decide on a purchase based on advertising and reviews. If someone doesn't like the game then they can play it as much as they want without paying a penny and find out. If someone doesn't like the update schedule then it's trivial for them to see it before committing any money whatsover.

Thirdly, the money thing. I do make good money now on Patreon, although for over a year I was working on Newlife but making nothing at all, so averaging my income over the game's lifespan it looks much less impressive. Ultimately though, I work full-time on the game and making more or less money is not going to affect that unless I make so much that I can bring more people in or so little that I have to find other work.
At the end of the day, I'm not going to apologise for making a good living. I've spent years of hard work making a game that people can play for free, and I manage to get a good income because some people are willing to pay me for that even though it's entirely voluntary to do so.
If someone's working a crappy minimum wage job then they should not support me on patreon even if they like the game, because they need the money more themselves. But while I don't expect their money, I don't think it's fair to attack me over what I do make. It's especially odd considering that the angry people are generally not the ones supporting me, so they've played and enjoyed my game for free. In the very rare situations where I've had an angry post from someone claiming to be a patron, I've asked them to PM me on Patreon so I could refund them - I don't recall even once being taken up on that offer which makes me suspect that those anonymous blog commenters claiming to be furious patrons were just troll accounts.

Fourthly, the pace of releases. This certainly is a real thing: the time between releases has tended to increase. That is the case and it may well continue to do so although I certainly intend to stick to my minimum of 1 release per calendar month.
Why is that? Well, there are a few reasons that all contribute to it:

- First, as new stuff gets added the game becomes more complicated. Newlife has a huge number of variables that need to be considered when writing new content and as the number of variables increases the time needed to write to them increases non-linearly. It isn't quite exponential because I take steps to avoid haing to literally multiply out every possibility, but every new trait or game mechanic takes more time to add than the one before.

- Second, and probably the most significant effect: when I write new content I base it on the best stuff I already have. The best stuff is usually longer, often significantly so. This means that new scenes tend to grow larger than older ones. A good example of this is to compare the "ask him to wear a condom" action which was in the original release with the similar but much newer "ask him to remove his condom" action. The latter has lots of variation and clocks in at around 270 lines of code. The former is around 40 lines, but it was around half that in the original release as it had some content added later. The 270-line action is IMO much better than the 40-line one, but it takes significantly more time to write.

- Third is one I didn't realise at the time, but a lot of the very early stuff was heavily planned out before I officially started work on it. The final step in getting Newlife online was sorting out things like the UI and save system. During this I stopped myself from writing much new content, but I was still thinking about it and making notes ahead of time. When 0.1.0 came out I had a very good idea of what I wanted to add up to 0.2 and quite a lot of the stuff up to 0.3 was planned too. Things like planning scenes and deciding what to write take up a fair bit of time, but a lot of that work had already been done by the time I started on new scenes early on.

- Fourth is the grain of truth in these nasty accusations. When Newlife first came out it was overwhelmingly exciting, having a game actually released online. I couldn't think about anything else for weeks. I remember waking up thinking about Newlife, working all day, maybe 16 hours straight until I had a splitting headache from staring at the screen and then doing it over again the next day. So, it's true that in the first month or two I worked more time than I do now, but that sort of lifestyle isn't healthy or sustainable. I've now dropped down to a normal full-time schedule and even then I had a mini-intervention from some of my friends around something like a year or eighteen months ago because they thought I was spending too much time working and getting too stressed about it.

Well, this turned into a bit of a long reply - no doubt you can tell that I find it very frustrating to get this sort of hate directed at me. I hope now that I've explained my position you can see that you were being mislead by the "30 lines a month" type of lies that some people have been throwing around behind my back. Of course I'm not expecting you personally to sign up as a patron - that's fine. By all means keep on playing the game and I hope you enjoy it.

Well, that's all I have to say for now. Have a happy Christmas everyone!

First of, welcome to forums.

When I said that I liked your game I, mean it. I think that you can tell from my first post on this thread. In fact I think that I was first person introducing your game here (in different thread).

You do not need to invite me to your patron because I was there, before they started to charge at singup - and I didn't do that cheap trick with unsubing before month ends, I'm sure you can check that. But I was out quick because rate of updates suddenly drooped ( i think even before custom npc introduction)

About that "30 lines of code" I took it from my ass, now I think that I exaggerated, but some times It looked that way (havent played neflife for some time I only droped on your blog to check what changed). So that was my conclusion, as I know some coding myself (html, php, python, some c, but not java). So I haven't read to any of that hate speech, it is all on me.

About saying that your game could be scam, well I was disappointed with updates after you reached "full time job" milestone they tend to decrease in quick manner. Adding to that unhealthy atmosphere in patron  now (breadingseson and few others). So thats that.

I would like to add something else but I rewrote this stuff so many times that I forgot what I wanted to write in first place so sorry if it came as some incoherent rambling.

Ah and you have voting system now, so in basic it is impossible to make more frequent updates because of that?

Don't read to much to that hate speech, it is part of internet now but when you notice to star losing supporters it indeed could mean that there is something wrong.

Personally I think windpl has an unrealistic expectation of workload.

Writing code takes time, and the bigger something gets the longer it takes. You have to take into account an increasing number of variables, and when the game is new there are few, but the bigger the game gets, the more variables there are. This isn't just some excel spread sheet that you are making a macro for, this is a modular game that is growing at a pretty constant pace.

Normal gaming companies have decent sized staffs which break up development into chunks, and they easily take 2 years plus. Here the game is made by one man and has never missed a month without content. The scammers as you put it skipped months at a time without an update. They scammers also don't show transparency on what they are doing, but there is transparency here.

I get it, you distrust Patreon. There are plenty of examples where Patreon is abused. LOL look over at the Sims 3 section... Kinkyworld has THE MOST EXPLOITATIVE Patreon account, but there is a clear difference here. Splendidostrich releases the FULL version with a month delay, but not only that, he is clearly open about development. This is a textbook case of doing it the right way.

My other issue is that you sound entitled Windpl. You are not buying a product, you are supporting an artist. If you have money and want development to continue then send him money. If you think the game isn't going anywhere then don't. Thing is, your comments serve no purpose other than to poison the well here. You were not giving constructive criticism, you were trying to alienate the player base against Splendidostrich because he didn't meet your standards, which I personally think are absurd.

I post here all the time complaining about peoples work. Look at any game patreon game thread in Adult gaming. I play almost all the patreon games here and give them constructive criticism. Generally that criticism is 90% negative, but you know what? They generally thank me, because I'm not attacking them or their audience but giving them insight of my opinion. LOL 90% of the time the same shit I complained about is still there when they do their next update, but from then on I keep those same opinions to myself. The person already knows my opinions and telling them again is rude.

Seriously, if you are going to slander him then give some evidence, because people are dumb. If you say he is scamming then people will believe it without evidence. That really is messed up. You could have EASILY checked the size difference between the last 2 updates and used that as evidence to support your claim. What is insulting is that you openly admit you pulled that number out of your ass. You are just mad that development is given out in one large monthly update instead of 3 smaller ones! That just seems silly to attack his user base over. It seems really petty.

I think you get the point.

Hi all, I hope you're having a great day. As expected, I keep getting called away from the computer for xmas stuff so it's kind of tricky to get much done. Still, I'm planning to finish the player's anal orgasm options before xmas lunch - there's some crossover with the non-anal doggy scene for them, but also some new descriptions that I think will work quite well.

First of, welcome to forums.

When I said that I liked your game I, mean it. I think that you can tell from my first post on this thread. In fact I think that I was first person introducing your game here (in different thread).

You do not need to invite me to your patron because I was there, before they started to charge at singup - and I didn't do that cheap trick with unsubing before month ends, I'm sure you can check that. But I was out quick because rate of updates suddenly drooped ( i think even before custom npc introduction)

About that "30 lines of code" I took it from my ass, now I think that I exaggerated, but some times It looked that way (havent played neflife for some time I only droped on your blog to check what changed). So that was my conclusion, as I know some coding myself (html, php, python, some c, but not java). So I haven't read to any of that hate speech, it is all on me.

About saying that your game could be scam, well I was disappointed with updates after you reached "full time job" milestone they tend to decrease in quick manner. Adding to that unhealthy atmosphere in patron  now (breadingseson and few others). So thats that.

I would like to add something else but I rewrote this stuff so many times that I forgot what I wanted to write in first place so sorry if it came as some incoherent rambling.

Ah and you have voting system now, so in basic it is impossible to make more frequent updates because of that?

Don't read to much to that hate speech, it is part of internet now but when you notice to star losing supporters it indeed could mean that there is something wrong.

Thanks for the reply windpl. It takes an adult attitude to admit that the numbers weren't based on anything - actual trolls are very childish (I think many of them are actually children) and one of them would never have made a post like your one - they'd have just thrown out an attack post. You didn't do that, and that's something I have respect for.

I had seen something similar to the "30 lines" number a while ago on, I think, 8chan so it did kind of push my buttons. You are right that I should try not to let those sites get to me, but you know, it's hard to override an emotional reaction logically.

You mention you supported up to before the custom npc content - thanks for that, there were some months early in 2015 where I wasn't making enough to cover my living expenses and things were getting quite worrying, so people who supported at that time really helped me a lot.

The release immediately before custom content was the first PMW release with rough content back in September 2015. That was one of the trickiest updates so far and also one of the least popular ones - and for good reason. I made a lot of mistakes with that milestone and I can definitely understand that some people were disappointed with it.

As for voting, I don't think that really affects the release rate directly. The PMW releases will typically take more time for the equivalent amount of content though, because if I'm writing something that I'm not personally interested in then it takes more research to figure out people who like that sort of content will enjoy. The current PMW release is better planned than the 2015 one though so I'm anticipating that it'll be received better.

Writing code takes time, and the bigger something gets the longer it takes. You have to take into account an increasing number of variables, and when the game is new there are few, but the bigger the game gets, the more variables there are. This isn't just some excel spread sheet that you are making a macro for, this is a modular game that is growing at a pretty constant pace.

Normal gaming companies have decent sized staffs which break up development into chunks, and they easily take 2 years plus. Here the game is made by one man and has never missed a month without content. The scammers as you put it skipped months at a time without an update. They scammers also don't show transparency on what they are doing, but there is transparency here.

I get it, you distrust Patreon. There are plenty of examples where Patreon is abused. LOL look over at the Sims 3 section... Kinkyworld has THE MOST EXPLOITATIVE Patreon account, but there is a clear difference here. Splendidostrich releases the FULL version with a month delay, but not only that, he is clearly open about development. This is a textbook case of doing it the right way.

Hi XJ347. A very supportive post - thanks.

The large range of variables in Newlife is in hindsight a bit of a design issue: new content is heavily slowed because of the need to write paths for everyone from a shy innocent virgin to a promiscuous flirt, from a kind-hearted angel to a mean-spirited bitch - and then combine that with a similar range of NPC characters. If anyone is reading this and considering starting their own variable-heavy game then I'd advise thinking very carefully about what's needed and what can be left out: a tighter scope would have made Newlife much quicker & easier to write for.

Your mention of Sims3 reminds me that I'll need to start looking into more sims/bethesda mods. I've had loverslab bookmarked since before I even began Newlife, but I've never seriously modded any of the games even though I'm aware that there's some amazing mod work being done on them.
In fact, Sims 3 was one of the inspirations for Newlife's clubbing scene. I was playing as a single female character in vanilla Sims3, but dating was very frustrating because the NPCs won't really initiate anything. In real life a pretty girl who goes to a club will get hit on a lot even without going up to any of the guys and flirting with them, and I like the idea of that sort of unpredictable situation where you don't know who you'll end up talking (or sleeping) with. I think I already had some sex-simulation scenes for Newlife at that point, so I wrote the club scene to connect with them.
I don't own sims 4, but I'd be curious what sims 3 mods would work for someone interested in the sort of content that's in Newlife. If people have recommendations then please let me know!

Hi all! I've released a new version: 0.4.2 which is the PMW release with anal sex.

As usual this is available on Patreon for now, and it'll be made public when 0.4.3 comes out. The release of 0.4.2 means that 0.4.1 is now public. As an Xmas/New-Year treat the patreon version of 0.4.1 is being made public, thanks to the patrons who voted overwhelmingly in favour of this.

0.4.1 can be downloaded from the blog ( http://splendidostrich.blogspot.co.uk ).

Happy New Year to all of you, and best wishes for 2017!

Archived