What is your favorite skin gloss level?

movomo

What is your favorite skin gloss level?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Don't restrict yourself within just 1 ~ 100.

• 100 (gloss-max maximum)
    • other

What is your favorite glossiness value for the skin-type materials?

I want to pick the most famous or whatever agreed value and set it as the default setbody glossiness. As I have an automation script (not user-friendly) to manipulate glossiness, it's easier for me to handle more than 100 glossiness.

So don't hesitate to hit any value whether more than 100 or not.

When yours is not in the list, please feel free to leave a reply, just highlight it with a different color so I can't miss it among other random off-topic posts.

for example, I prefer 500.

I use to have it set at whatever it was set at in the armor and what not but I always thought it looked nasty. I then asked Poontank on how they made their players so glossy and after they told me I have had everything at max ever since and since then anything below max just looks nasty to me. I later learned of glossmax which has a .ini file that you can change to number in it to max and drag and drop all nifs into it at one time instead of manually doing each nif 1 at a time. Except for heads and bodies that use a different name then skin those have to be done manually in nifskope.

Well if someone doesn't like a gloss value they can change it quite easily with glossmax and it is really easy to use.

Ever since Jerbsinator mentioned manipulating skin gloss by changing its numerical value in the block details it became a habit of mine to set this parameter to 1000. It's a nice even number, can be typed in a split second on the keyboard's right-hand numeric keypad.

Also a habit of mine is editing about every single Nif when installing new ones: Combining material properties, adding stencil properties, getting rid of bogus nodes, updating the tangent spaces. So it's part of the routine to also crank up any body parts' skin gloss while I'm at it. 'Gloss Max' sure is a great tool when it comes to an automated batch edit of a large amount of meshes, but as it only does change the skin gloss I still prefer the manual edits in NifSkope for those mentioned additional Nif-optimization measures.

One value not even on the poll's list which I came across in Samhain6's meshes (I think) is 127.5.

Edit: Dammit, I did forget to highlight the gloss values in colour.

If I haven't missed any crucial update for the glossmax, it's limited up to 100 for some reason. Currently setbody reloaded contains a total of 705 skin meshes, and opening them up and resetting glossiness, one by one, on each and every update can be a royal pain. I wanted to talk about this problem.

Anyways it's seemingly impossible to derive a single most favored value. That would mean either I have to repair the script, or simply don't need to care about this problem at all.

Yes, I think you should just release the meshes at one fixed average value and leave it to every user of the mod to add his/her preferred skin gloss any which way they see fit. All the files in every 'SetBody' before got released like this as well. Although I have manually glossified thousands of Nifs over time, it was a continuous process over the course of years. Doing this at once would be way too much effort on your part.

And there will always be people who prefer a different intensity of glossiness. Pleasing everybody's tastes would mean to even release several versions of the mod! That's not reasonable.

If I haven't missed any crucial update for the glossmax, it's limited up to 100 for some reason. Currently setbody reloaded contains a total of 705 skin meshes, and opening them up and resetting glossiness, one by one, on each and every update can be a royal pain. I wanted to talk about this problem.

Anyways it's seemingly impossible to derive a single most favored value. That would mean either I have to repair the script, or simply don't need to care about this problem at all.

The limit isn't really 100, though. Like Myuhinny said you can set amounts over 100 on the ini and Glossmax will set the skin to that amount, even if it is over it's own max setting. If you open the mesh in nifskope the Nimaterial property will show a glossiness of 100, but if you look at the block details you will see the amount you set in the Glossmax ini, and that is how it will show ingame. Also, you can use Glossmax to reset gloss levels. You can type a value of 20 in the ini and it will set previously glossy meshes to the default value.

As for doing lots of meshes, there is an easy way if you have Windows 7 (it should be possible in XP too). Just open the setbody meshes folder in the File Explorer  and search for "female". That will give you every female mesh in a single page, so you can drag all of them into Glossmax on a single go. It also works for armor replacers and saves you from having to open each folder to drag the files to glossmax.

Speaking of speed.

I've just spent a chunk of the weekend trying to get niflib to compile.

*assuming* that I can get it compiled and working properly, it should be possible to start coding some nice fast and spiffy tools in c++ instead of the fairly slow pyffi/python setup.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Archived