Playable Children

asdf0

I'm currently installing mods for Skyrim on a new machine, and I'm wondering which of the mods that allow to play as a child I should use. Here on loverslab there's "SkyKids", "Children of the Sky", and a "reworked" version of COTS. On the Nexus there's "Playable Children Plus", "XVision Playable Child Races", and "XVision Children Redone".

Some of those mods are very old, others seem to be WIP. I really have no idea which mod to choose so please help me decide. I would like to have conversions of vanilla armor/clothes for children, and by conversion I mean modified meshes that fit a child's body, not just scaled vanilla meshes. Also, I don't like lore-breaking fantasy child armors like these at all. I'll be using Dawnguard, Hearthfire and Dragonborn and the child mod should be compatible with those. It's okay if some armors from DLC aren't properly converted, though.

I won't be using Sexlab of course, and at present I see no reason to use the XP32 skeleton or the HDT physics extension. I don't know yet which body mod I will use, but since children use a different body anyway I may even stick with vanilla for adults. I use MO, BOSS, SKSE, SSME, SkyUI and so on. I'll probably be using ECE or RaceMenu but am not as of yet sure which.

So which child mod should I use?

RS Children is another one that you missed. It's on the Nexus as well.

But from reading your post, I'd say go with RS Children or SkyKids. Not trying to promote or anything, but they are both completely standalone and very well done. You want a playable race with vanilla fitted armors, those are your best choices. They don't mess with anything or alter any vanilla assets, they are their own mod, separate from everything else.

SkyKids has a more fantasy look to it, while RS Children has a more "lore-friendly" look to it. Just depends what your taste is.

I wouldn't recommend Children of the Sky or Reworked Children of the Sky or even XVision Children or those others you mentioned. First off, they are like you said outdated. The only one that is currently up to date is Reworked Children of the Sky (RCotS).

But RCotS doesn't sound at all what you are looking for. Just from viewing a few pictures of that mod, it has revealing skimpy vanilla armors. So even if you didn't want revealing armors, all your vanilla armors will be skimpy and revealing. As well, it messes with a lot of your vanilla assets for other races. It overwrites basic vanilla races and makes them use RCotS assets. So it is not standalone at all. And that can cause a lot of issues. It is not very stable either and can cause problems with your game.

But in the end, go with RS Children for a more "lore-friendly" look. If you want fantasy, go with SkyKids. Both completely standalone and stable. Hope that helps. :)

Since you use MO I would load up a proper copy of each of the varied models and try them yourself. I haven't found any that I really like however I am only intending to replace what is affectionately called "potato heads" for children. I agree with you and would like to avoid the  non lore clothing where possible. Hell they can still walk around with the default clothes if they won't clip.

@Spyder

I hadn't see that mod either. I am downloading it now. It looks good and pretty much what I am looking for as well. :D. I have had the same issues you mentioned with the various other mods mentioned in your post and ended up having to remove them from my game even as much as I hated the potato heads I disliked what was being done to my game with the mods for my current play through. (Attempting a more lore friendly play through and half dressed NPCs. not so lore friendly. ;))

I use Skykids. So far the most complete with a lot of support, conversions, armor patcher (that adjusts most armors to the skykids body) and also the most balanced appearance. Just make sure you read the description thoroughly on how to install.

I have tried it and did something horribly wrong as it didn't work properly at all.. :blush: not so much in the way of support so I gave up. Not to mention finding all the files intact is a challenge as well. (at least I think it was because I was missing some parts and getting all sorts of graphical issues)

Thanks for the replies! I totally missed RS Children; I thought it was just an overhaul of NPC children.

in any case, it seems the decision is between RS Children and SkyKids. For RS Children I couldn't find any armors, and all the child conversions on the Nexus seem to be just scaled down meshes (e.g. see the boobs in this picture). On the other hand, the armor conversions for SkyKids seem really weird; I mean look at that waist. And that's with armor, imagine what the body beneath that armor looks like? Ugh.

I'm leaning towards RS Children at the moment, but if anyone can recommend a good armor/clothes replacement mod that would be great.

well I saw this days ago 

http://blog.livedoor.jp/crystaluna/

I think she/he is using LittleGirlRace... I just noticed is that those armors in the screenshots are really for little girls or lolis but.. not sure if she/he converted them for the race and if it is a private work.. because the links in the blog are all leading to unp or unpcm bodysliders...(not sure if the race is compatible with unp bodies).

well I am also going to try this and since you are looking for a playable race.. maybe? lol

Yeah sadly there isn't a lot of good conversions for the vanilla armors for children out there. Most are just scaled down adult armors. Like the one you showed there, it is decent and works, but some of the outfits will have breasts regardless. It's just one of those minor things you have to deal with when it comes to child races.

And that picture from SkyKids, she is twisted at an angle, and we know how well Skyrim animates bodies. So yeah, it looks like a thin waist because of how she is posed. But they aren't all that bad actually. That armor even on adults gives them a slim looking waist.

But if you're set on RS Children, that armor pack is pretty much the best you'll find right now.

• 1 month later...

Archived