T3nd0's Perkus Maximus (PerMa) (Successor to Skyrim Redone)

LaEspada

Well I actually got a MO profile running with it now and have to say...I don't much like PerMa

Speaking openly (and hoping he's not here to hear this) I wonder why the author even bothered? Skyre seemed to offer the same but had more positive aspects to it. A working respec potion, uncapped skills, and most important the mere fact that it's been in existence longer and so by virtue has more running compatibilities with other mods than a whole new creation will. Making this rather than just making updates to the existing skyre structure seems like taking a step back in general terms of getting mods harmonized for the community. Not that the author is obligated to care in any way but I sense some serious hostilities are going to arise between him and the community if this is his new baby and everyone else (as the nexus hot files suggest) is still hoping for support or updates to Skyre.

And those fluff descriptions...ugh. I can't be convinced there's any benefit to them for anyone who's actually playing with any role playing/character building intent. His solution is to offer a PDF document file which as anyone knows is completely impractical, annoying and inconvenient to do while playing. Luckily another guy made a de fluffing mod which fixes most of the descriptions in game.

SkyRe was just too much. I have several mods I really love and compatibility with SkyRe was so so, to the point it was too much of a hassle to set up.

I did a fresh install, and am now using perma with a medium sized load order, and all is going great. Very enjoyable.

Guest Vendayn

I am using it and I have mixed feelings about it.

1) I really wish people would just let Java die! It's not that good a language anymore; at least not for Windows machines or Mac's and to be truthful it actually runs shittier on every linux and Unix Machine I have used it on. It has huge security holes that make C# look rock solid and in all honesty its time has come to an end; and please, before you start quoting stats you need to understand...those stats do not take into account the practical application of Java programs (which in the real world are relatively non-existent).

2) It has a tendency to screw up your merchant inventories and can cause you to CTD while browsing a merchant. I have tried allocating more memory to the game but that does not seem to be the issue. It clearly has something to do  with the way the patcher does its job.

3) The mod has a tendency to make some some monsters ridiculously strong and the rest a push over.

Over all its not a bad mod.

Yeah, SkyRE and Requiem both use Java now. And I'm not interested in going through my mod list and find out why it sends out a "NULL" error and going through 100s of hours of hassle of that. My game of 98 hours (so far) is very stable and had a 9 hour run with no CTDs...and high speed timescale and run speed and zoomed everywhere and still no CTDs. So not interested in ruining my game for SkyRE or Requiem.

But this new java thing these mods are doing where its incompatible with a lot of mods is really lame. Look, I don't care if there is a null error...program yourself to skip it and continue. Seems like something that should be done already.

That and even if it works, like you said...it has a tendency to break a lot of things in a modded game.

Luckily, I can still use the old SkyRE and use the old Requiem...but I have a feeling they gonna remove it eventually and force people to use the lame java thing.

Keep backups people! :D

For anyone trying to use some of SkyRe Perkus, disable the reproccer esp and the dont run it (the ones that come with skyre). Don't use the main SkyRe esp/esm either, just the plugins you want like Races and Standing stones etc. Then run Patchus when you have all the mods you're going to be using installed and ready for a game. I finally have my game set up and it's running great. The new perks just make the game a billion times better than vanilla AND better than SkyRe.

Patching only takes me like 4 minutes at the most. It has to go through 198 esp/esm files. If it's taking a long time then you have a slow or low range PC, not too many mods. If it's failing, then you have mods that need other mods or you've placed the wrong things somewhere. This mod is super simple to install. All you have to do is put in a little bit of reading one time. Once it's installed, it's installed and you dont have to worry about it.

I had that 'null pointer error' thing last night while setting up PerMa. I took a look at the patcher logs and, while it didn't say exactly what mod failed, since it processed the records by mod load order I was able to narrow it down to a couple very quickly. Turns out it was the daymol dawn guard add-on. 

I don't mind running java to automate patching. I've gotten pseudo carpel tunnel syndrome just from dragging and dropping in tesvedit more than once :)

• 1 month later...

I just installed Perkus Maximus to test it (used SkyRe before).

But i have the problem, that i cant pickup any potions. I use Live another life, and after i go into the helgon castle, i cant pickup any potions or ingridients

Does anyone have that problem too?

Fixed it, language was german, works in english

I think PerMa's stagger effects from getting hit without blocking is mucking up adult mods with whipping scenes like Prison Overhaul or Sanguine's Debauchery - they still work, but look very silly. Anybody know any workarounds?

I just thought I'd drop by and say thanks to the people who linked the Defluffing Perks mod for PerMa... I can see how some people would like it, but alt-tabbing out and back in every time I gain a level (I have no tablet or something to keep the .txt files on) was horror. I often ended up picking perks that I thought would be good (from their fluffy description) but then ended up doing something completely different. The only other bad thing that I have to say about PerMa is that I had a lot of Papyrus spam from xMAWARCombatLogic.psc which also caused CTDs from time to time, which is fixed by this patch.

Now that I'm here, I have a question:

Certain armors (for example the Nightshade Armor have nowhere near their supposed armor values (glass in that example) and are therefore rather useless. Some parts of Bouncy Bodices and Booties (chest in particular) are also very low in armor value, making it that followers will always choose their default armor over that.

Is there a way to make PerMa play nice with those custom (often single set) armor mods to give them properly scaling armor values?

[edit: cleaned up links]

Until someone edits the xml for em you can only either make a xml edit yourself(don't ask me how I don't know) or load the esp up in ck and edit the base armor ratings/make sure the appropriate tags are there. I did this with blades light armor but made a heavy version of it and it works right I have the same ac as I would in stock blades armor.

Correct. This is due to the patcher, SkyRe had the same thing happening because it determines the armor/damage values of things based off their keywords in the ESP and/or their assigned values in the xml file. Me, I usually just edit the ESP files and change the armor type to what I want and give it the correct keywords.So for example if you want to make it as strong as glass look at how the glass armor pieces have their keywords set up and just copy them over. Alternatively you can determine the armor's quality tier or values in the XML.

Ah I see. I have no experience yet with the CK, but I guess this will be a good first test. I have some more questions if you'd be so kind, I'll put the specifics in a spoiler as to not clutter up the thread so much (but the question in general might be valid for PerMa users so it's not completely off-topic I hope) :).

I opened the files in TES5Edit and noticed that the Nightshade Armor pieces indeed have no keywords relating to armor quality, so it's displaying its default armor value (which might be okay in a normal game, but PerMa has highly increased armor values on everything).

So... if I were to open the .esp in the CK, and add 'ArmorMaterialGlass [KYWD:0006BBDC]' as keyword to all appropriate armor pieces, PaMa will turn it into default glass armor quality? Or do I need to change more? Because...

I took a quick peek in the XML folder of the patcher, and a search for 'Nightshade' in Armor.xml found me these four lines:

<binding>
            <identifier>Leather</identifier>
            <substring>Nightshade</substring>
        </binding>

It was in the Leather Materials Bindings section. Does this mean that anything with 'Nightshade' in the name is set up as 'Leather' quality? It seems fair for the Fur version, but the regular version requires Dragonbone and the Glass smithing perk.

If I change the quality in the CK, do I have to remove the lines from the XML since it says Leather there? Because it seems like that could create a conflict somehow, one place telling it it's glass and another telling it it's leather. I'm not sure which would take precedence. Or should I just change the 'bindings' section in the XML to Glass and move it to the Glass section, so I can avoid dealing with the CK for this particular armor?

I think I actually prefer the CK option of adding keywords there, since that would work for every armor I use, and I could possibly even differentiate between qualities within the same keyword (make the red Nightshade armor Leather, and the black one Glass quality or something). Just trying to get a complete picture here before I break things and become all sad.

Thanks for the help!

I'm not sure if the XML or the keywords have more importance (I'm guessing the XML but I'm not sure). Just make sure you keep a backup copy of the xml file and esp file before you do anything, don't be afraid to experiment, it's how you'll learn.

If you're going to modify the ESP file you should make sure that you assign it all the proper keywords. For example the chest piece for glass has 4 keywords ArmorLight, ArmorMaterialGlass, ArmorCuirass and VendorItemArmor so you'll want to have the same on your nightshade body armor. You could try only assigning it the ArmorMaterialGlass keyword, then running PaMa and finally opening up the generated patch to see if it assigned the rest of the keywords automatically (like I said experiment). If you have the keywords set up correctly but the armor value is still not the right one then you'll have to edit the xml file. As you said you can either assign it the glass tier quality or simply remove it from the xml and let the keywords handle it (I prefer this because it gives me more control but it's also more work).

Oh, and keep in mind that T3nd0 provided documentation for these patchers that can better explain some of the more complex things.

• 6 months later...

Archived