View File

Reusing the same save game slots causes an increasingly severe performance drop, due to the shoddy Gamebryo engine.

This simple mod allows you to make clean quick saves in a new slot each time, and also quick load them via keys bindable in MCM.

Save game names are in the format "Location Date Time"

You can use the vanilla F5 / F9 keys, just make sure to unbind them in the vanilla options or they'll both trigger at once.

Requires MCM and NVSE 4.5+.

• Submitter
  • Submitted
    11/02/2014
  • Category
  • Requires
    NVSE 4.5+, MCM

It's fairly widely mentioned, although I know it sounds like a performance myth- I didn't believe it until I noticed my load times got steadily longer the longer the game was running- the first load was fairly short, then it went up to about 5 minutes and I ended up restarting FNV every 15 minutes. Using new slots for save games fixed it.

My guess is that for 'performance' (;)) savegame files are updated rather than recreated from scratch when reused, but there is a bug in it.

Food for thought. This save game issue is a Gambryo thing. The entire elder scrolls series, starting with Morrowind, as well as Fallout 3/NV all run on the Gambryo engine. Every game Bethesda has released has added extra modifications to the Gambryo engine, making it less and less stable. Morrowind was released in 2002. Bethesda have been making the engine exponentially less stable for the past 12 years. You might want to start saving onto empty save slots every time.

Well, that's the point of this mod, it makes the quick saves in a new slot each time, and still allows quickloads of the most recent :).

I blame console considerations for the engine for a lot of the shortcomings. If only Bethesda would release the source code... (not likely).

Guest carywinton

This a nice edition and should be far more handy than having to -Open console ~ -type save <game name> hit enter key-

Thanks for this Odessa , nice job and kudos to you.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...